Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The first thing I thought was "Great googly moogly!" so it's totally working for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I wonder why Warhammer doesn't have a larger presence in TV or cinemas. All we got is the lovely Ultramarines movies. If it's so popular, it should have more than this.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
GamesWorkshop is pretty retarded.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I wonder why Warhammer doesn't have a larger presence in TV or cinemas. All we got is the lovely Ultramarines movies. If it's so popular, it should have more than this.

I think the established excuse is that Games Workshop refuses to share any merchandising income or profits from any spin off projects, hence the exclusive deal with THQ, the in-house development group, and the publishing company established JUST to put out their own stuff.
To be honest, any media that would come out from the GW family of products would pretty much print money.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baron Bifford posted:

Legends tell of a time when GW approached Hollywood to adapt the Bloodquest comic to the big screen. As the story goes, the movie was a CGI extravaganza in the days not so very long after toy story, and actually had a few test renders made. After a certain point Hollywood came to GW with the storyboard and script they had crafted only to be met with horror and disdain! The mighty Blood Angels of the Adeptus Astartes were now the future version of the USMC, and there was a romance sub-plot! I hear tell that GW pulled the plug so hard the sonic boom killed a few folk.

By which I mean there was a movie, it was mentioned in WD with some early screenshots, and then it died without mention and leaving lots of speculation. This is probably 1997-98 or so. I'll have to dig through WDs I have and hope I didn't spot this in one I borrowed from a friend.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

dongsbot 9000 posted:

GamesWorkshop is pretty retarded.

To expand on this, they are totally asinine about licensing and profit sharing. Total cockbags about it really.

Edit crap I forgot to refresh before replying again.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Legends tell of a time when GW approached Hollywood to adapt the Bloodquest comic to the big screen. As the story goes, the movie was a CGI extravaganza in the days not so very long after toy story, and actually had a few test renders made. After a certain point Hollywood came to GW with the storyboard and script they had crafted only to be met with horror and disdain! The mighty Blood Angels of the Adeptus Astartes were now the future version of the USMC, and there was a romance sub-plot! I hear tell that GW pulled the plug so hard the sonic boom killed a few folk.
Whaaat? Sounds like urban legend to me. I don't remember ever hearing about anything like that.

Arquinsiel posted:

By which I mean there was a movie, it was mentioned in WD with some early screenshots, and then it died without mention and leaving lots of speculation. This is probably 1997-98 or so. I'll have to dig through WDs I have and hope I didn't spot this in one I borrowed from a friend.
There was a live action... thing... but it was only ever shown at Games Days. I think I remember it being a test for a TV show or something, but it never really went anywhere. BloodQuest was also a fan project, but it kind of stalled when GW wouldn't finance and/or support it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Whaaat? Sounds like urban legend to me. I don't remember ever hearing about anything like that.

There was a live action... thing... but it was only ever shown at Games Days. I think I remember it being a test for a TV show or something, but it never really went anywhere. BloodQuest was also a fan project, but it kind of stalled when GW wouldn't finance and/or support it.

Nope, it's true. There were some really lovely 3-D renders of rhinos and land raiders in several old white dwarf issues. Along with the original warhammer MMO, it's one of those things that gets into the magazine before being quietly shelved and pushed out a view a few months later.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

I remember this, it had Dark Angels in right?

lenoon posted:

Nope, it's true. There were some really lovely 3-D renders of rhinos and land raiders in several old white dwarf issues. Along with the original warhammer MMO, it's one of those things that gets into the magazine before being quietly shelved and pushed out a view a few months later.

Yup was a land raider on a desert style background if I remember correctly.

*Edit*
Found the little trailer with the land raider in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpEY630UaMg

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ed balls balls man posted:

I remember this, it had Dark Angels in right?
I want to say Blood Angels, because they were the poster-boys at the time. There were Khorne Berzerkers and a couple of Orks as well. To be honest, when I saw it at Games Day (which was back in the early nineties) it was pretty drat cool. The whole thing was probably under two minutes, but I watched the loop over and over again.

If you've seen the cutscenes for Final Liberation, you've pretty much seen the quality of the video. That's right - awesome. :black101:

I'm hoping that The Lord Inquisitor actually pans out and winds up being as good as it looks. Then we can finally put the shame what is the Ultramarines movie behind us.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 13, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

handbanana125 posted:

I think the established excuse is that Games Workshop refuses to share any merchandising income or profits from any spin off projects, hence the exclusive deal with THQ, the in-house development group, and the publishing company established JUST to put out their own stuff.
To be honest, any media that would come out from the GW family of products would pretty much print money.
Is this true? Perhaps W40K isn't that popular and not worth the investment of a major film studio.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Is this true? Perhaps W40K isn't that popular and not worth the investment of a major film studio.
I think that the truth is that GW holds onto its IP very tightly because it is afraid of dilution and wants to control everything about a project. Hollywood, were it interested in 40K, would be more interested in changing elements of the story to fit into perceived notions regarding demographics. I think we are starting to see that change a bit with directors like Joss Whedon and Guilermo Del Toro, but they're definitely the exception to the rule.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want a movie rendition of the siege of Vervunhive. Just guardsmen, the PD and politics with a healthy dose of awesome action and Space Marine silhouettes thrown into the end of the movie as they cleanse the remains of the Zoika horde.

Failing that, Helsreach.

Edit: I really feel like Space Marines get too much exposure in video games, they're supposed to be these dangerous unknowable beings and the universe just have so much else to offer.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think that the truth is that GW holds onto its IP very tightly because it is afraid of dilution and wants to control everything about a project. Hollywood, were it interested in 40K, would be more interested in changing elements of the story to fit into perceived notions regarding demographics. I think we are starting to see that change a bit with directors like Joss Whedon and Guilermo Del Toro, but they're definitely the exception to the rule.

I can see some exec thumbing through the pages while saying "This okay, but where are the female marines? And it's all so... dour. We're thinking of making it so the army guys can just walk in and out of those dread things- audiences connect better with faces!"

Not that I wouldn't poo poo pants if they cast Depp as Cain or something.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I can see some exec thumbing through the pages while saying "This okay, but where are the female marines? And it's all so... dour. We're thinking of making it so the army guys can just walk in and out of those dread things- audiences connect better with faces!"

The problem with that is he doesn't have the body type cain has been described as having.

He'd be Jurgen.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

I want a movie rendition of the siege of Vervunhive. Just guardsmen, the PD and politics with a healthy dose of awesome action and Space Marine silhouettes thrown into the end of the movie as they cleanse the remains of the Zoika horde.

Failing that, Helsreach.

Edit: I really feel like Space Marines get too much exposure in video games, they're supposed to be these dangerous unknowable beings and the universe just have so much else to offer.
Yeah, I think the best full-length 40K movie would be an IG story with a Space Marine coming in when the battle looks lost and just tearing the hell out of everything. Portraying the SM as essentially a monster that just happens to be on "our" side would really just drive the point home about how far removed from humanity they are really supposed to be.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I think the best full-length 40K movie would be an IG story with a Space Marine coming in when the battle looks lost and just tearing the hell out of everything. Portraying the SM as essentially a monster that just happens to be on "our" side would really just drive the point home about how far removed from humanity they are really supposed to be.

On this note, the opening story in Brotherhood of the Snake is so much fun. An feudal planet is besieged by Dark Eldar pirates, so they activate a legendary distress beacon device that has laid dormant for centuries, to be activated only as a last resort in their darkest hour. A few days later a single Space Marine shows up and he's all grumpy since he thinks killing a few Dark Eldar is a waste of his time. Then he does so with hilarious ease and is all like, "That was dumb, don't call me again."

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Kinda Forward Unto Dawn style? Sounds good. If we're talking ultimate dream movie though it would have to be the First War for Armageddon and the final assault on Angron. ADB couldn't have written that scene better.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The tech-priests see alien technology as corrupt and refuse to reverse-engineer it for the benefit of humans, so why are they so eager to get their hands on captured Necron and Eldar tech? What do they hope to learn?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Given the bad experience that superhero comic creators have with Hollywood, this might be wise (there was a time when good and faithful superhero movies just didn't happen).

Kurzon posted:

The tech-priests see alien technology as corrupt and refuse to reverse-engineer it for the benefit of humans, so why are they so eager to get their hands on captured Necron and Eldar tech? What do they hope to learn?
I remember some Tau fluff that said the tech-priests are eager to learn what alien tech can do, they just don't want to replicate it for themselves.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 13, 2013

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Kurzon posted:

I think there's also fluff that the upper echelons of the Mechanicum is wise to how technology really is, as opposed to the religious mentality of the lower ranks. It's akin to the way that most Space Marines venerate the Emperor as a leader or progenitor rather than a god, in contrast to the Imperium at large. I wouldn't be surprised if the Necron/Eldar/Tau/whathaveyou technology vanishes into their laboratories on Mars, then a decade later a new and improved laser cannon born of human knowledge rolls out, praise the Omnissiah.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

I think there's also fluff that the upper echelons of the Mechanicum is wise to how technology really is, as opposed to the religious mentality of the lower ranks. It's akin to the way that most Space Marines venerate the Emperor as a leader or progenitor rather than a god, in contrast to the Imperium at large. I wouldn't be surprised if the Necron/Eldar/Tau/whathaveyou technology vanishes into their laboratories on Mars, then a decade later a new and improved laser cannon born of human knowledge rolls out, praise the Omnissiah.
No no. They wait until something STC related is found, and spin it as they had discovered old tech.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Given the bad experience that superhero comic creators have with Hollywood, this might be wise (there was a time when good and faithful superhero movies just didn't happen).
Hence the comment about Whedon. If you got someone of his caliber pitching the project, then I think they could remain fairly close to the IP. Just a run of the mill Joe won't be able to pull that off though.

Baron Bifford posted:

I remember some Tau fluff that said the tech-priests are eager to learn what alien tech can do, they just don't want to replicate it for themselves.
It's much easier to destroy your enemies when you can find a weakness in their technology... Also, knowledge is power, especially in the Mechanicum. Information is like currency.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

You'd even get romance subplots in there, good range of actors, identifiable enemies ('weird sci fi cults' - wouldn't even need to spend much time saying who they were) easy!

Get on it. Want Abnett and ADB to collaborate on the screenplay please.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kurzon posted:

Because lazy writers want to shoehorn in generic sci-fi plots about evil scientists.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Night Lords could be a great miniseries but the budget would be nuts.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So i just wrapped up the Ravenor omnibus and without a doubt it was the best book i have read about the 40k universe. I am about to start Pariah, and i noticed the Lexicanum has a listing for a story called Perihelion preceding Pariah. It sounds awesome since it has both Eisenhorn and Ravenor in it, but its not available through Black Library, even more depressing is it seems it was only part of a single 3000 print run.

Is there a decent summary of it anywhere? It sounds awesome and i am kind of sad i can't read it, and it also seems to fill in some gaps between pariah and ravenor.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

To back up what Berzerkermonkey replied to this. The current shift in Hollywood, television and print media is skewing heavily to sci-fi, and in particular, grim, dystopian sci-fi across a lot of demographics traditionally unaffiliated with the genre. If there were an appropriate product released I think it would be a substantial commercial success in the film industry and an outright coup for GW. Compare the profits from selling miniatures, niche books, and supplements against the income that could be generated from a successful movie deal. A television series could also be good exposure and lead-up to a wider release.

I'm basing my ideas around the fact that Game of Thrones, that HBO Vampire Show, and the Marvel movies have rather impenetrable backgrounds that have been successfully adapted to fit wider appeal.

I would love a Rynn's World Mini-series and a Helsreach feature though. :black101:

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.

UberJumper posted:

So i just wrapped up the Ravenor omnibus and without a doubt it was the best book i have read about the 40k universe. I am about to start Pariah, and i noticed the Lexicanum has a listing for a story called Perihelion preceding Pariah. It sounds awesome since it has both Eisenhorn and Ravenor in it, but its not available through Black Library, even more depressing is it seems it was only part of a single 3000 print run.

Is there a decent summary of it anywhere? It sounds awesome and i am kind of sad i can't read it, and it also seems to fill in some gaps between pariah and ravenor.

They released an ebook of it. It is awesome. I read it after Pariah but it definitely makes more sense before.

I'm going to write a review of "Crucible" by John French tonight, which came out as an ebook last week.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

vannevar posted:

They released an ebook of it. It is awesome. I read it after Pariah but it definitely makes more sense before.

I'm going to write a review of "Crucible" by John French tonight, which came out as an ebook last week.

Awesome, but right before i pull the trigger, am i able to read the black library's ebooks on my PC? I don't own a tablet/e-reader.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Kindle has an in-browser reader, as well as a desktop app. You can.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

lenoon posted:

I'm pretty sure there were much more than that. I remember seeing inside a Games Workshop, in the late 90s I think, a short clip of an Elder jetbike fighting a Space Wolf dreadnought on an frozen lake. There were other videos too but that was the only one I really remember.

I think if Hollywood had such major issues getting a Warcraft/Starcraft or even that Halo movie done, then getting a 40k movie is near impossible. You can't have a 40k movie without a Space Marine and you can't really accurate portray a Space Marine without showing that he is a genetically modified human being who was kidnapped as a child, chemically castrated and heavily indoctrinated into serving the biggest religious bureaucracy in the galaxy.

I mean the guy who wrote Know Now Fear was also the writer of the Ultramarines movie. I think there are too many things in the setting that are great on paper but won't translate across well on a big screen.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Teen movie set in a schola progenium. But in the end everyone dies.

Honestly, though, the reason 40k movies probably won't turn out well even if they could work out a deal with GW is because, like many comic book properties that get movies, there is too much interesting stuff and the temptation for a producer to cram as much marketable crap in a single movie is so great that the chances of an unwatchable, overstuffed failure are much higher than a decent movie since it's so dependent on the restraint of the producers and on people involved who actually understand both the setting and filmmaking.

If they were able to keep it mostly in one genre, such as military sci-fi with horror elements, and strictly controlled the focus and budget, then it might work out but I just can't see that happening. The perfect storm of restraint and fan of the franchise hit with semi-independent comic movies like Dredd, for instance, but it fizzled anyway.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 14, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lenoon posted:

You'd even get romance subplots in there, good range of actors, identifiable enemies ('weird sci fi cults' - wouldn't even need to spend much time saying who they were) easy!

Get on it. Want Abnett and ADB to collaborate on the screenplay please.

Or get HBO to pick up the Gaunt's Ghosts as a television series. It would be hard to do though because Aexe Cardinal is a really boring set piece that would screw with the continuity of the main storyline (the Saint in particular). Hinzerhaus as well but to a lesser extent because it was the set up for a broken Tanith First on Baelhaut.

Gereon is easily my favorite set piece after Vervunhive though and it would make for a fantastic movie. Quite often I feel like I'm reading a movie script when I read Abnett's books, like he's aware they could be adapted to the screen at some point.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Just turn Eisenhorn into a mini-series then. HBO can add in all the sexy things they demand to bring in the shameful True Blood/Game of Thrones crowd.

Demiurge4 posted:

Or get HBO to pick up the Gaunt's Ghosts as a television series. It would be hard to do though because Aexe Cardinal is a really boring set piece that would screw with the continuity of the main storyline (the Saint in particular). Hinzerhaus as well but to a lesser extent because it was the set up for a broken Tanith First on Baelhaut.

Gereon is easily my favorite set piece after Vervunhive though and it would make for a fantastic movie. Quite often I feel like I'm reading a movie script when I read Abnett's books, like he's aware they could be adapted to the screen at some point.

Necropolis would make for a kick rear end mini-series as well. Band of Brothers in space.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, both Eisenhorn or Gaunt's Ghosts could easily be made into TV series without too much crazy sci-fi or budget breaking special effects. GG would probably make a better miniseries, as constant war would get pretty boring (which is a problem I have with the books.) Eisenhorn would be different though, as he and the gang could get into all sorts of wacky adventures.

I'd certainly watch that show. :munch:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I would certainly love to see a Mass Effect style game where you play as an Inquisitor, without not a single Space Marine in sight.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Demiurge4 posted:

I really don't get where you're coming from with this, those two stories stand out as some of the most interesting settings for me.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I would certainly love to see a Mass Effect style game where you play as an Inquisitor, without not a single Space Marine in sight.

Sadly it seems GW doesn't want to have any video games where Space Marines aren't playable characters. This wouldn't be such a huge issue to me though if it wasn't for the fact that in every game Space Marines are boring, they always downplay the differences between chapters and go for generic big guy with a gun.

Abnett really fleshed out the Space Wolves in such an amazing way with Prospero Burns and I would just love some indepth RPG's or adventure games that deal with those issues instead of endless RTS games and shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

I really don't get where you're coming from with this, those two stories stand out as some of the most interesting settings for me.

I agree on Hinzerhaus. To me, the Aexe Cardinal setting was really badly split. The forest group, and the trench group really felt like they were on different planets really. And each on their own could have been great, but I dunno, they really didn't come together well.