Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Krad posted:

Wow, Scorpion sure feels... different now. Slower. Bleh. I hope I get used to it. :(

I was playing against Foodahn a little bit ago with Scorpion and yeah, I only used his tele punch maybe a bare handful of times, even then kind of nervously just to get out of the corner when Grundy was beating my rear end. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I know, it just seems so weird that Conan o'Brien would dedicate air time to a DLC character for a fighting game that was released two months ago.

Conan's clueless gamer segment is a hilarious yet effective way for companies to plug their products.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
You can already watch the segment here. And it reveals a skin for (what appears to be) Superman that will hopefully also be released as DLC: Conan's superhero alter ego, The Flaming C

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Space_Butler posted:

You can already watch the segment here. And it reveals a skin for Superman that will hopefully also be released as DLC: Conan's superhero alter ego, The Flaming C

Oh my god, yes. This is awesome.

ed: Hahhaa, Zod's backdash looks amazing and his win screen is incredible. What you said in the spoiler is also incredible, I will play nothing but Superman if they add it as DLC.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 13, 2013

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!
Hmm, Zod vs Black Adam in a cockiness contest. What wins, arms folded or hands clasped behind the back?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zod's rad enough that I don't mind the Evil Superman redundancy. I also really, really hope the Flaming C makes it as real DLC.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Nothing will ever top that winning animation. Nothing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god that alternate outfit. :stare:

Phaelog
Jun 27, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Some context for those who are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yr7WZDdN7A

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Alteisen posted:

They could make it $5 and I'd buy it, but it will probably be free and that's awesome.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Zod looks pretty cool, hopefully we get a demo video soon so we can actually see how plays.
And Superman's zoo is filled with animals from planets that are destroyed or the last of their kind right? Either way a little irresponsible to keep a Starro around in a paperweight.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If anyone cares, the segment is on Conan right now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Injustice at WNF: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Boon confirmed on Twitter that there will be additional DLC after Zod. Could be costumes, could be characters.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Liar Lyre posted:

Boon confirmed on Twitter that there will be additional DLC after Zod. Could be costumes, could be characters.

He did? I don't see anything on his twitter. Zod looks pretty awesome but I gotta admit that his looks are kind of generic must be the baldness :v:

Also, I hear wrong or they said that it would be available on July?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Watching WonderChef's Shazam seriously makes me want to play Shazam, but I can never do anything with him. I think I need to learn how/when to use his teleport better if I want to use him. It sure as hell isn't good against zoners.

Edit: Aaaand WNF is going to Divekick.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Is anyone else here having their game freeze when connected to Xbox Live?
Or are people here sane and all playing on the Playstation?

If the first, and yes, I would love to know how to fix this bug that they refuse to patch out so that I can get back to playing this game.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

The Gorp posted:

If the first, and yes, I would love to know how to fix this bug that they refuse to patch out so that I can get back to playing this game.

I don't play on XBL but you may want to clear your cache. I'm not sure if this fixes this specific problem, but I was reading earlier that it fixes something, I just wasn't paying attention as to what it fixes because I don't have an Xbox here.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Gorp posted:

I'm on Xbox and it happened to me a few times, as far as I know the only fix is to clear your cache.

e:f,b

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Gorp posted:

NRS likes to avoid patching limitations by pushing out hotfixes for its games using a jury-rigged backdoor method. This has the side effect of making the game crash if you don't clear your cache every time they do this.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I love all you super helpful individuals. Your advice rivals that of the great seers.
Off to waste my life again, cheers!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GENERAL ZOD

Alias: Dru-Zod
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #283 (1961)
Powers: You know all that crap Superman does? He does that.
Other media: Other than his obvious movie appearances, he's sort-of-but-not-quite appeared in the cartoons, Smallville and was in both a novel the Last Days of Krypton and a choose-your-own adventure book I remember owning when I was 8

I can't think of a comic character who owes more to an actor's portrayal than General Zod. It's not like all the other memorable villain portrayals like Lex Luthor, Bane and Joker. If it wasn't for Terrance Stamp, not a single person would give a drat about Zod except for writers who love tossing in obscure supervillains that only the hardcore have heard of before.

Zod appeared in the early days of the Silver Age where he looked like M. Bison dressed in green while forgetting to wear pants. He was charged with trying to take over Krypton with his army of Bizarro soldiers and got sentenced to 40 years in the Phantom Zone, the dimensional prison of no escape (except when someone escapes). Superboy found out about that and released Zod once his time was up. Zod tried to take over Earth a handful of times and constantly got tossed back into the Phantom Zone. Since he was a soldier, he had an edge over Superman and was one of the few Silver Age characters who was stronger than the Man of Steel.

Superman II came out in 1980 and led to more appearances by Zod. Nothing memorable to mention, really. The Crisis on Infinite Earths reboot kicked in and DC practically took Zod off the table. With continuity made simple, there were some ground rules to Post-Crisis DC. For one, Superman had to be the ONLY Kryptonian. He was the Last Son of Krypton. That was his thing! So of course, within two years of this change, writer John Byrne decided to introduce Zod and Supergirl. Luckily, he had an out. They were from an alternate universe! ...Except DC mandated that there could be no more alternate universes. That was the problem that got them into having to write Crisis in the first place. Byrne instead claimed they were from a "pocket dimension". How that makes it right, I have no idea.

In this "pocket dimension", Zod's basic storyline still happened, only he killed Superboy with the help of his lieutenants Quex-Ul (essentially Non) and Faora (essentially Ursa) and annihilated much of the planet. Superman was asked to help out and defeated the three via exposing them to gold kryptonite, which permanently removed their powers. Zod warned Superman that they'd get their powers back, find out where he lived and kill his planet. Superman decided he had a point and killed the three with green kryptonite just to be sure. Then he moped around for a while because of it. Also, Supergirl came back with him, but she was manmade, so it didn't step on the "no Kryptonians" edict.

DC Comics tried so, so hard to make Zod relevant again over the years. After all, he was the villain from the last good Superman movie. They had to make him a big deal in the comics. They came up with certain weird ideas. Or should I say other weird ideas.

In the early 00's, well over a decade after Superman committed his murder, Zod was brought back in another alternate reality (DC calmed down off that rule) that was created by Brainiac. In this world, Krypton never exploded, so Zod was still focused on taking it over. Superman and that world's Jor-El defeated Zod. This was also an excuse to introduce Krypto the dog into Post-Crisis continuity by making him part of this reality's Krypton.

Then there was a story called Emperor Joker where the Joker became omnipotent and changed reality completely to suit his ego. One of the villains on his side was a big, armored guy by the name of Ignition. Joker strangely didn't remember creating him and it was established that he was from the regular world with memories of how the world was supposed to be, while claiming to be working for a higher power. After the story, Ignition's higher power was revealed to be a Soviet guy in big, red armor and a cape named – you guessed it – General Zod.

Zod was a little boy whose parents were killed by kryptonite radiation, as they were in space as cosmonauts when baby Superman's rocket was on its way to Earth. Zod was still in the womb at this time, which means that his fictional-not-Russia-but-let's-just-call-it-Russia country was pretty hosed up because why would you send a pregnant woman into space? The radiation affected Zod, as the yellow sun made him incredibly weak. At the same time, red star radiation made him strong like Superman. He wanted to turn the sun red permanently and was ultimately defeated by the teamwork of Superman and Lex Luthor. This Zod died when flying into Superman when not realizing that the returning yellow sun had removed his invulnerability.

During a by Brian Azzarello called For Tomorrow, another Zod was introduced. This one had the movie origin in that he was from Krypton and Jor-El tossed him into the Phantom Zone. This Zod looked absolutely loving ridiculous. He was so overly 90's it hurt. Black armor. Spikes everywhere. A big, red Z on his chest in the style of Superman's S. He was defeated and never mentioned again.

In the mid-to-late-00's, Richard Donner (director of the first two Superman movies) joined DC's top scribe Geoff Johns in doing a storyline called Last Son. In it, another rocket crashed to Earth and out came a Kryptonian boy. Superman took the boy in and adopted him as Chris Kent (get it?). The shocking reveal was that Chris was really the son of Zod and Ursa. Zod was recreated with a new look that made him more like Terrance Stamp and this would be the first appearances of Ursa and Non in DC continuity. Same crap about Jor-El and the Phantom Zone, but giving birth to a son while in the Phantom Zone was their ticket to escape due to comic book science.

They, along with an army of evil Kryptonians tried to take over the planet, but they were ultimately thwarted and shoved back into the Phantom Zone. In the midst of that we did get a brief Non vs. Bizarro throwdown, which was cool. Chris (otherwise known as Lor-Zod) got pulled back into the Phantom Zone and he somehow grew into an adult and went on to be a superhero for a stretch.

Zod's backstory was given a stronger explanation. He, Ursa and Non were against Krypton's cold police state, especially when they responded to Non's speaking out by giving him a lobotomy. Becoming something of a freedom fighter, Zod and friends gradually became corrupt and tyrannical, ruining his good friendship with Jor-El.

After the Last Son storyline, Zod was released from the Phantom Zone in a storyline called New Krypton. For decades, there's been a part of the Superman lore where Brainiac had shrunken down a city of Krypton called Candor and stuck it in a bottle. Superman could never figure out how to unshrink it and just kept it around in his Fortress of Solitude. Finally, they did a story that depicted what would happen had they fixed it and suddenly had thousands of Kryptonians around. They started their own separate planet civilization called New Krypton and Zod was their general. While he and Superman were uneasy towards each other, Zod wasn't really up to anything and was more of a cold politician, dedicated to his people.

Some corrupt politicians and military personal (ie. Lois Lane's father) ended up starting a big war with New Krypton and blew it up. Zod survived and waged war on Earth. He fought Superman and got sucked back into the Phantom Zone by Chris Kent.

Then Flashpoint happened, erasing all that from continuity. Zod has shown up as a Phantom Zone prisoner, but that's about it. For those keeping score, he's the seventh iteration of Zod.

The Superman cartoon had a character named Jax-Ur. Jax-Ur is another evil Kryptonian character from the comics, but the cartoon version is meant to be pretty Zoddish. Regardless, the comic series Superman Adventures, which expands on the animated universe, did have its own Zod.

I'm hoping movie Zod will be different enough that they can finally branch out and stop using the character as a one-hit wonder doing a reunion concert. Woo! Play, "Kneel before Zod!"

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Some of us still like listening to "Kneel Before Zod" on loop, endlessly. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Superman KILLED some guys? I can see it with Doomsday, where Superman realized there was really nothing to this creature other than a lust for destruction and that if he didn't stop it at any cost, Metropolis would be doomed, but murdering depowered villains? What the fuuuuuck.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If somehow you've never seen it, KNEEL BEFORE ZOD. :supaburn:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Gavok posted:

GENERAL ZOD

Christ, I knew Zod's story was a mind gently caress, but, that's worse than Donna Troy.
Thank you for the write-up.

(By the way, I like Donna Troy :) )

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Superman KILLED some guys? I can see it with Doomsday, where Superman realized there was really nothing to this creature other than a lust for destruction and that if he didn't stop it at any cost, Metropolis would be doomed, but murdering depowered villains? What the fuuuuuck.

Like I said, he was too afraid of the consequences of if they made good on their threat. Then he cried about it for way too long.

There was a really good 10-issue series called World's Finest that showed Superman and Batman teaming up once a year across ten years of continuity. One issue had Superman come to the Batcave to tell Batman about what he did.

Batman: I see. You killed people after you made sure I couldn't kill the Joker for what he did to Jason.
Superman: Actually... it was before that.
Batman: OUT.
Superman: :(

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Christ, I knew Zod's story was a mind gently caress, but, that's worse than Donna Troy.
Thank you for the write-up.

(By the way, I like Donna Troy :) )

It can't be worse than Donna Troy because I still can't understand her batshit backstory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Zod appeared in the early days of the Silver Age where he looked like M. Bison dressed in green while forgetting to wear pants

So Cammy.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
If he's a general, what's with the scientist getup? :confused:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Krad posted:

Being general doesn't pay as much as it used to.

Life is hard for the working zod.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I know, it just seems so weird that Conan o'Brien would dedicate air time to a DLC character for a fighting game that was released two months ago.

I'm hoping the announcement winds up being part of his clueless gamer series of videos. Those are hilarious.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm hoping the announcement winds up being part of his clueless gamer series of videos. Those are hilarious.

Are you posting from the past?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Not the past, he's from an alternate reality or possibly a pocket dimension.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Krad posted:

A bunch of the other Phantom Zone prisoners were dressed like that, so either it was a prison uniform or it tied into his failed uprising. I can't remember. Pretty sure the goggles were necessary to see correctly in the Phantom Zone or the place would drive you insane. He just continues to wear them for style.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
According to Boon's twitter, Zod's trailer will be released next week. So I suppose we'll be getting him on June's last week or July's first.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Did Joe Kelly ever reveal why Polkadotistan Zod had Superman's face?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is around on xbox, I'm going to be doing some Joker practice. Hit me up at Soonmot.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For all you lazy rear end goons out there here's the clip from Conan the Barbarian with the reveal of The Pope and Flaming C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE1gLNs54Q

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Thanks for that ^^^

Watched it a couple times.

edit: I'd play with a Flaming C Superman skin!

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Krad posted:

I like the scientist attire. It's like he yelled at his peons to make him a suit as super as he, and this was what they got.

• Locked thread