Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Very Nice Eraser posted:

I'd appreciate it if any Florida goons give me first shot at digging it up

Rest assured there's no chance of anyone else beating you to it; I've been trying my damnedest to persuade people to look at that spot for years.

quote:

Florida

You'd need a very good reason to think this was anywhere except the Fountain of Youth as summarised here. Everything adds up - no doubt about it. One of the strongest confirmers is the SELOY acrostic in the verse - the name of the original village on the site. (A number of Q4Ters have photographed and even dug inside the park, though I'm interested in persuading someone to check outside in Magnolia as explained at the bottom of P25 of this thread. I regard this as one of the best chances of finding a casque if someone was willing to do some exploratory digging.)

BJG fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

BJG posted:

Rest assured there's no chance of anyone else beating you to it; I've been trying my damnedest to persuade people to look at that spot for years.

Did you write that PDF? On page 13 it seems to imply that cask 6 was found? Or maybe I'm misreading it.

It looks like the only thing I noticed that isn't in that PDF is the presence of the palm tree by the green picket fence along Magnolia, which isn't exactly conclusive, but worthwhile.

Edit: I guess the cask pictured is one of the two already discovered.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Did you write that PDF?
...ay, although pretty much my only contribution to FOY is to try and get people to look outside the place instead of inside it.

The only indication I've had that anyone has so much as glanced at this area is this comment:

quote:

I am in St. Augustine, typing this as I stand by the cannons. Looks like someone has dug in this spot before. Also the picture with the wall and fence, there is a city water line that runs directly under that gate and next to the tree. I'm going into the FOY park now.

What? Dug where? Pictures?

This is the wall they're talking about, complete with tree and green picket fence.

Someone else at Q4T had a theory about that globelight being the "moonlight", and some water pipe or gutter connecting with "rain falls".

Looks quite promising, though I don't think anyone's tried and it's presumably on private land - a motel, I think. But as just discussed, it looks like we can't rule out private property.

There are various holes I'd like to dig in Magnolia. Get a bulldozer in I say.

BJG fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 13, 2013

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Any news on Roanoke? That feels like the one we're closest to finding, just need to get some brave soul on the ground to start rooting around for it.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

BJG posted:

...ay, although pretty much my only contribution to FOY is to try and get people to look outside the place instead of inside it.

The only indication I've had that anyone has so much as glanced at this area is a post here.

What? Dug where? Pictures?

And I thought I was so clever! I should have known that somebody beat me to the punch. Well if I get permission to dig I'll take tons of pictures, whether I find it or not.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Viking Blood posted:

Interesting. Would you say it looks more like Transfiguration now than before? Can you make out crosses more distinctly?
No distinct resemblance, no clear crosses, but there are definitely two windows in the tower below the middle dome.

Kingnothing posted:

I can't promise that anyone will get some ground penetrating radar
I'm working on it. I probably won't have it finished until the end of summer, but at that point I'll loan it out to anyone working on this for the cost of shipping/insurance.

Emacs Headroom posted:

Speaking of which those of us in NYC should prove it by doing some scouting this Sunday:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552979

I'm still leaning toward McCarren Park for the first outing/scouting. Not because I think it's the most likely, but it's not insanely far for most people and we can grab a beer afterwards (or some tea for non-drinkers) and plot our next moves in case we don't just hit the jackpot on day 1.
I can't make it this weekend, but I'd really like to scout for clues on Coney Island and Rockaway Beach sometime.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Very Nice Eraser posted:

And I thought I was so clever!

You thought the same way I did. In my book that makes you a goddamn genius.

BJG fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 13, 2013

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Very Nice Eraser posted:

And I thought I was so clever! I should have known that somebody beat me to the punch. Well if I get permission to dig I'll take tons of pictures, whether I find it or not.

If it somehow doesn't work out, I might be able to schedule a trip over there too. I'm in Tampa but enjoy visiting St Aug.

If the cask is found and the owl, rock, face and other fairly defined items are of no value, it's reasonable to assume other images may have items of no value as well.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

netwerk23 posted:

If it somehow doesn't work out, I might be able to schedule a trip over there too. I'm in Tampa but enjoy visiting St Aug.

If the cask is found and the owl, rock, face and other fairly defined items are of no value, it's reasonable to assume other images may have items of no value as well.

I like the thinking on St. Augustine but would think that if obvious findings on the painting cannot be matched it may be merely because the length of time since burial.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

netwerk23 posted:

We live in Tampa as well. Maybe we need to goon-swarm the Fountain of Youth: 200 Internet assholes with ground-penetrating radar and shovels destroying hundreds of years of priceless history because TREASURE!

If/when we get permission and schedule a trip I'll post it here so anybody that wants can meet up in St. Augustine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

I may have just stumbled on something huge. Has it occurred to anyone yet that Rice University is like right across the street from Hermann Park on the west side?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I'm back in the USA and ready to hit the ground in Boston again.

More or less working on visual matches only at this point, but shoot me any locations you'd like scouted. I'll continue to check out Harvard area, though I doubt it's anywhere in Harvard Yard proper, there is no shortage of parks and places to dig there.

I'm trying not to rely on the verses either, but as much as I want to like Charlesgate Park, I can't figure out a way to make it fit with the verse. It's more than 5 blocks (6, not counting you have to go almost a complete block from the names) away from the names on the BPL.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbk/sets/1278095/ This isn't exhaustive, but is a collection of a lot of turrets in St. Louis. I don't see anything even close to a match here.

There is a Xenophon buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in St Louis but I can't find anything better than that either.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Houston

I may have just stumbled on something huge. Has it occurred to anyone yet that Rice University is like right across the street from Hermann Park on the west side?

I know that, and noticed it, but I don't see the connection.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Eh, screw it, here is my complete solution. I'd appreciate it if any Florida goons give me first shot at digging it up!

Good job and good luck! Go get it.

BJG, did Cleveland guy tell you how his ended up broken? Did he crack the plexiglass digging? I didn't see the box just the broken cask.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

xie posted:

shoot me any locations you'd like scouted

Please check out Cambridge Common Park. I honestly believe it's the best lead so far. Here is my original post on it: link.

Basically, if you enter through the gate and walk towards Waterhouse St. and the two churches, you should be able to match something like the bird or the circular window in the image. That should give the final location, according to my theory. There are several monuments in the park, so there are plenty of opportunities for clues. Also, I think there is a possibility that "in truth, be free" is something Masonic. There is a Mason St., so maybe check out the buildings in the area (there is a Masonic monument near the cannons, but it's recent.)

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 13, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Fistgrrl posted:

BJG, did Cleveland guy tell you how his ended up broken?

I guess you read this...

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

Just age and ground pressure AFAIK. At least he has the gem, which he had set by a jeweller...

...poor dude who claimed the Chicago one had it nicked.

BJG fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 13, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Nesetril posted:

Please check out Cambridge Common Park. I honestly believe it's the best lead so far.

I don't see it at all, honestly. I'll try to check it out, but I don't even see the imagery that you do. In other photos the facade doesn't really have the windows, and I'm just not seeing it on the gate. I work there so it'll be easy to check out though.

I have thought of Dawes park though, which is nearby. But "eh."

edit: I'd like to keep looking around Harvard Stadium, Longfellow Park, Charlesgate Park, and I'll definitely investigate Cambridge Common/Harvard Area more as well.

xie fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 13, 2013

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
There are two things that make my theory quite credible: 1) that particular area has the biggest concentration of potential clues (Area 8 for August, Agassiz for A-Z, Harvard, 'copy' of Old North Church, Waterhouse St. for 'water', etc.) I have been trying to evaluate other areas and this is honestly by far the most promising place. And 2) I don't believe things can ever match the clues *exactly*. If they did, the clues would get deciphered a thousand times already. So, instead things have to match in an oblique way, like Waterhouse St. for Water.

Same thing with the Harvard-Epworth Church. It matches different elements of the castle in the image. What makes it better than the Trinity Church match someone suggested? For TC, you have to look at a weird angle and try to make coarse shapes correspond. With HEC, you need to pick out specific architectural elements and you don't need to squint at it. What makes HEC better than the Castle at Park? The Castle has the wrong number of studs on its wall and there is nothing in that area that could make for a compelling interpretation of the verse or anything.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Any news on Roanoke? That feels like the one we're closest to finding, just need to get some brave soul on the ground to start rooting around for it.

I keep checking in with the same question. I had to give up working on these because I was staying up at night doing it and then I was really grumpy during the day and my husband got mad at me.

If nobody else ends up digging, I'll probably try myself, but I'll probably wait until September or so. I'm not digging in 90+ degree heat, and the hotel rooms down there are triple what they'll cost at the end of the summer.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Eh, screw it, here is my complete solution. I'd appreciate it if any Florida goons give me first shot at digging it up!

Meanwhile, I think I might have found a possible solution to the Houston cask, but I feel like I need to do a bit more research and see if it holds water before I go giving away any more details than that. Otherwise there may be risk of a goonrush, and we don't want that.

I'll post a bit more as I gather further information. I might post pics too, assuming there are any. :)

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Nesetril posted:

There are two things that make my theory quite credible: 1) that particular area has the biggest concentration of potential clues (Area 8 for August, Agassiz for A-Z, Harvard, 'copy' of Old North Church, Waterhouse St. for 'water', etc.) I have been trying to evaluate other areas and this is honestly by far the most promising place. And 2) I don't believe things can ever match the clues *exactly*. If they did, the clues would get deciphered a thousand times already. So, instead things have to match in an oblique way, like Waterhouse St. for Water.

Every single one of those is a pretty tough stretch, and can be applied to a lot of places. I have almost all of the riddle down for my location in Charlesgate, but I'm still not particularly confident about it.

quote:

Same thing with the Harvard-Epworth Church. It matches different elements of the castle in the image. What makes it better than the Trinity Church match someone suggested? For TC, you have to look at a weird angle and try to make coarse shapes correspond. With HEC, you need to pick out specific architectural elements and you don't need to squint at it. What makes HEC better than the Castle at Park? The Castle has the wrong number of studs on its wall and there is nothing in that area that could make for a compelling interpretation of the verse or anything.

I never said that the Trinity Church was a better match, but that does not make this a match. That's not how this is going to work. Again, the Chicago Water Tower is very clearly visible behind the windmill, and the turret off its side is also an almost perfect copy. The shadow of the building in Cleveland is upside down, but otherwise a perfect silhouette.

I honestly don't think the castle matches - I can show you google maps of rooftops that match better over by Charlesgate. I personally feel the placement of the windows is important, but maybe not. I'm not ruling it out, I'll search there, but I think you are stretching a lot to make things fit, and should be aware of that. The gate isn't that compelling of a match for me either.

All I'm saying is calling this solved is very, very premature, and I am not nearly as convinced as you are.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Just checking in, has anyone actually left their computer and moved some dirt?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Cru Jones posted:

No, not yet. This thread only started two weeks ago. Most of us didn't join in right at first and many of us don't live in the cities in question. It will probably take a little more time for someone to feel sure enough to take a trip and dig some dirt.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
To strengthen my theory: Agassiz house has some interesting connections. Actually, the imagery on the First Church building is more interesting. Bird weathervane has a raised leg. Possible scholastic ('at home with letters') connection to 'The Puritan' sculpture in the park?
To weaken my theory: possible match on the bird at Lippmann house bird was from 89, was stolen, and replaced with a replica

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 13, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

I haven't been able to get access to the quest4treasure forums (I mailed he webmaster a few days ago, hopefully he will get back to me and grant me access) so I can't see what they have on Roanoke, but the more I think about it the more I think that the casque is not actually in the elizabethan gardens. There is little in the image that anyone can definitevly match up to anything in the gardens. If that was where it is buried, then you'd think that there would be things in the image that would indicate that, like the columns, the fountain or the wall in the Cleveland casque. I wish I could go down to the outer banks and look around the area of the gardens (especially the path by the 1896 marker stone) And the wright memorial. I doubt I would find any matches with the illustration, but it would be fun to do so.

The only other explanation for the lack of matches that I can think of is that maybe we don't have the correct illustration to go with the verse, but the lat and longitude plus the outline of the island near the window are pretty compelling.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Nesetril posted:

To strengthen my theory: Agassiz house has some interesting connections. Will write more in a sec.
To weaken my theory: possible match on the bird at Lippmann house.

I can look at Lippmann tomorrow if you'd like. Edit: Claws do not look right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacoseoaneperez/2595250624/sizes/o/

xie fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 13, 2013

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Any of our Charleston goons get pictures or visit any of these sites yet?

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Any news on Roanoke?

Q4T don't agree on a lot, but pretty much everyone favours this scene as a prime candidate...

...apart from the sign, it's the only angle I've seen though. (The rationale is on P30.)

I think people are too addicted to images. Take Image 12 for instance. Consider that it might be the Statue of Liberty, make the connection with Verse 10 via Bedloe's Island, and make a verse-based solve. I'm not saying this is necessarily right, but, it could be sufficient, no? What more would you need? People have been spoiled by Chicago but JJP is taking your toys away now. You can bawl all you like.

BJG fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 13, 2013

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

If you ask me the image details are all really specific to the exact location of the cask and the verse is essentially what leads you to that location. Though the solved images do have a smattering of really general clues as well, they also contain some really, really specific things you wouldn't recognize until you're standing at that exact location. Like the wall in the columbus painting, or the fence post in the chicago one. No one would've been able to find the cask based on these clues alone, they're very specific because they're telling you where to dig once you've already got it worked out.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 13, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Agreed, especially after the recent Montreal match, and the possible Chrysler Building match in NY.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Lippmann bird is from 89, ignore it.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Woohoo, my Q4T account was approved.

TotalHell posted:

Any of our Charleston goons get pictures or visit any of these sites yet?

Not yet, I've been out of town on then weekends. Can you remind me what we need pictures of? I may be able to get out some this weekend if it's not as insanely humid as it's been this week.

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Montreal

The hands in the painting. These have been bugging the hell out of me because they look so unnatural. But after looking at them a bit this is the shape I see:

The park. Note how Peel on the west and Metcalfe/Cathedral angle when they cross Blvd Rene Levesque:

Overlay:

The upper finger also tracks along one of the footpaths in Dorchester park.

The finger is pointing at the Sun Life building, where Stab says he works. Stab is obviously the cask.

Burns Statue:

This is the outline I was talking about a couple of pages ago.

The statue in Dorchester Park:

The collar rotated:

The left part of the collar on this supposedly identical statue in New Brunswick. I had to use a picture of this one since the angle that the photo is taken from is important and this one is the closest the I could find to the right angle. Taking the photo from just a little bit to the right at the same distance might make the line track the coat and leg perfectly. Someone should go try :v:

Original for comparison:

With the full collar. The right doesn't seem to match. Perhaps it matches something else? I thought maybe the outline of the Boer War Memorial pedestal but it really doesn't.

Perhaps the tracing on the right included the effects of grime and corrosion on the statue in 1982? Here's an older picture of the Montreal Burns, but I don't know from when exactly:

Finally, because I was curious I made this crappy overlay of the square in the picture with the Golden Square Mile in Montreal. Meh. Doesn't really appear too significant aside from the hoof running through Place du Canada and the cathedral.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

It wouldn't surprise me if the artist just couldn't draw hands properly, you'd be surprised how many artists can't.

FWIW the reason they look slightly unnatural is that the knuckles and palm are painted poorly, it doesn't really have anything to do with the fingers.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 13, 2013

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Ok, are you going to believe my theory now?

Bicentennial marker erected 1976 says: "... and in respect to our signers of the Declaration of Independence by the Italian American Historical Society of Cambridge".

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Nesetril posted:

Bicentennial marker erected 1976 says: "... and in respect to our signers of the Declaration of Independence by the Italian American Historical Society of Cambridge".

No and I don't think you should paint me as some rear end in a top hat for doubting your precious theory. You're taking this a little too seriously. Every theory should be doubted until it's proven true.

If you don't live in the area to check it out yourself, I already agreed to go over there with a camera.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cru Jones posted:

The quickest way to get shut down and/or arrested is to start digging 3-foot deep trenches in parks. I would hope everyone is going to get the location narrowed down to a few feet, do some test probes and then make a subtle hole until they are absolutely sure the box is there.

When people get to that stage, a good cover will be with a metal detector. Most people don't pay too much attention to some guy with a metal detector looking for pennies in the public park. Another good cover is wearing a safety vest and with a few small seedlings and shovel. You might be able to dig a good sized hole in a park if it looks like you are planting a tree in the hole. If you generally look like a parks employee and have a matching cover story you should be able to dig in broad daylight with a steady stream of passersby without anybody questioning you. Answering any questions by saying you are looking for treasure is most likely going to draw an unwelcome crowd.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Neutrino posted:

When people get to that stage, a good cover will be with a metal detector. Most people don't pay too much attention to some guy with a metal detector looking for pennies in the public park.
See you would think this. When I first started metal detecting it's exactly what I thought to, but, in reality it draws more attention than anything else. I live in the middle of nowhere but the second I go to the park with my detector It's like every kid, parent, and passerby wants to either come and talk to me or ask me if I've found anything.

It's not nearly the discrete hobby it's portrayed to be! :sigh:

But the vest idea, yeah that's probably the best one especially if you do like someone earlier in the thread suggested and get a small tree or something along those lines and I'd bet no one would even bat an eye at you.

allta fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 14, 2013

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Cru Jones posted:

A week or so ago I panicked and started ripping through the ground at a location I was scouting. All I found was a gross tree root.

Nesetril posted:

Buddy, relax. I had a location near Clarendon and Commonwealth awhile ago that I was so sure HAD to be right. Every new piece of evidence I found made me 100% more confident. Turns out there are a lot of places that can match the clues if you cock your head and squint just right. I'm sure someone will investigate your hypothesis, but we have other places we want to look at too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The Human Cow posted:

Woohoo, my Q4T account was approved.

Not yet, I've been out of town on then weekends. Can you remind me what we need pictures of? I may be able to get out some this weekend if it's not as insanely humid as it's been this week.

I think our key candidates are White Point Gardens, Fort Moultrie, Marion Square, and Hampton Park. Pictures of any of those would be awesome.

I guess Fort Sumter as well if you could get them, but I know that's a lot of extra effort, plus I still suspect it would be too difficult to bury something there without it being noticed.