Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Oxford Comma posted:

The pirate ship *is* awesome and the kids absolutely ignore it. It really only gets used about 3-4 times a year when we have other kids over.

Sell your TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
My kid only watches videos at hospitals and on airplanes, and once the initial protests subsided, that's just our normal.

And she'll go play outside, even without a sibling and without a pirate ship.

It's your TV. Just Say No.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Lullabee posted:

What can I do about heat rashes on my 4 months old neck area? It's not hot at all - 82 right now - but because of his big head and no neck, unless he's in his exosaucer, his heads touching one area. It's especially bad when he sleeps.

I'd try a fan, but if I do that, dude gets cold and quick. I'm at a total loss. :(

Edit: I think it might be a combo of heat and drool. Dude drools like a dog lately. I clean him up every time I see it, but his skin still seems irritated.

Same thing happened to Vivian before she got more neck control. I wiped it often with a baby wipe or damp cloth, and tried baby powder some days (of course I was careful not to let her inhale dust) and lotion other days. I think the lotion actually helped more, even though it seemed counterintuitive. Mostly though it just went away when she started keeping her neck up more.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Any tips on dealing with crawling and carpet burn? When it seems like its getting better, she has a day where its great to flop around and irritate the skin more. I'm trying babylegs on her arms today.

Thanks for the medicine tips. The blowing on the face helps. Doesn't help the crying that goes along with it though. What a great way to start the day. :(

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
I figured out the reason my 1-month old won't sleep in the day is because she is not swaddled in the day. How do I deal with this? I don't want to swaddle her 24-7, but she seems to get cranky from overtiredness at the end of the day.

Professor Bananas
Feb 16, 2011
I hate following questions with another question (I'm sorry I don't have good advice myself :( ) but can anyone give me just a little reassurance on weaning? I started giving my son solids at 5 and a half months and for about 4 weeks he enthusiastically ate anything off the spoon like a hungry baby bird. He's 7 months now though and has been refusing food for the last few weeks. I've been cheerily offering a variety of purees and finger foods daily just in case (never forcefeeding) but it's been mostly jaw clamped and head turned, or he wants to squish it all in his hands but not eat.

I was fine with keeping going like this and assuming he's not ready or that he's asserting his independence, but today I tried drizzling some mango puree from a pouch onto some rice pudding and he reached for the pouch and wanted to suck on it, then he started guzzling it down (this has never happened before as I make his food from fresh and have just bought a few pouches to try something different). So I got a veggie puree pouch and he guzzled happily from that too.

He hates being spoon fed these days, and likes to lick finger food but gets upset if it actually breaks off and he has to chew and swallow it. Does it sound like he's not ready and will come around later? If he's not ready should I keep putting him in the chair every day to try as long as he's enjoying playing with the food and not getting upset over it?

If it makes any difference he's 90-95th percentile for weight and exclusively breastfed (he's huuuge). Any advice is welcome because every day that we end up with food everywhere but in the baby I feel like I've failed a little bit and that I have no clue what I'm doing.

Professor Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 12, 2013

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

DwemerCog posted:

I figured out the reason my 1-month old won't sleep in the day is because she is not swaddled in the day. How do I deal with this? I don't want to swaddle her 24-7, but she seems to get cranky from overtiredness at the end of the day.

Swaddle her for sleep, unswaddle her when she's awake. Don't worry, she won't be swaddled forever.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
DwemerCog That's easy! You deal with it by swaddling her to sleep during the day. ;) Seriously, she's just a newborn--if she likes being wrapped up to sleep, then just do it. Lots of babies like/need swaddling until they are much older--that's why there are so many products for swaddling a larger baby. When she's been awake for a bit, like an hour, and it's time to sleep again, just wrap her up and go with it. She'll let you know when she's had enough of that. When she starts fighting it instead of settling down, then she wants to stop.

Professor Bananas I would just roll with it. If he likes to suck purees from those pouches, then give him one. (Or don't if you don't want to, whatever.) Totally still put him in his high chair to offer food--that's where you want him to associate having food and eating meals. Continue to offer finger foods, and whatever else you like and let him do as he pleases with them. He'll be fine. He nurses plenty, (s'up fellow huge baby-haver) so whatever he gets in his mouth is bonus. Alternatively, he'll get more interested in eating as he gets hungrier and nursing just isn't doing the trick (that was my youngest). It's all good to do now so he continues to get used to the different tastes and textures of food.

ghost story Rug burn sucks. We went through that for a bit. After a while, their skin gets tougher and less sensitive. I used to lay a big, old, comforter out on the floor for crawling and romping when the kids were really little, for that exact reason. Give that a go.

Oxford Comma That pirate ship is pimp as all hell, and my boys (2 and 5) would go apeshit over it. dreamcatcherkwe, I think, hit the nail on the head. I listen to that whining for TV bullshit at least once a day. Then it's time for Mommy to drop what I'm doing and *really play*. Time to play store guys!! Don't want to play store? Well, Mommy is going to play store and it'd sure be a shame if no one played with me; time to set up the canned goods! And off I go. Doesn't take but a minute for us all to be playing together. Put on a eye patch, start talking like a pirate, and playing. Give zero fucks and really get into it. They will play with you in no time, and have ideas for future play by themselves.

And in conclusion, Slo-Tek, that's totally gross and made my fillings hurt reading it. :j: Tim would do the same thing, I think. (Psst, what you do with that is make whiskey sours. One can of lemonade concentrate, one can of whiskey, one can of water, one can of white soda. Potent and addictive!)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Professor Bananas posted:

I hate following questions with another question (I'm sorry I don't have good advice myself :( ) but can anyone give me just a little reassurance on weaning? I started giving my son solids at 5 and a half months and for about 4 weeks he enthusiastically ate anything off the spoon like a hungry baby bird. He's 7 months now though and has been refusing food for the last few weeks. I've been cheerily offering a variety of purees and finger foods daily just in case (never forcefeeding) but it's been mostly jaw clamped and head turned, or he wants to squish it all in his hands but not eat.

I was fine with keeping going like this and assuming he's not ready or that he's asserting his independence, but today I tried drizzling some mango puree from a pouch onto some rice pudding and he reached for the pouch and wanted to suck on it, then he started guzzling it down (this has never happened before as I make his food from fresh and have just bought a few pouches to try something different). So I got a veggie puree pouch and he guzzled happily from that too.

He hates being spoon fed these days, and likes to lick finger food but gets upset if it actually breaks off and he has to chew and swallow it. Does it sound like he's not ready and will come around later? If he's not ready should I keep putting him in the chair every day to try as long as he's enjoying playing with the food and not getting upset over it?

If it makes any difference he's 90-95th percentile for weight and exclusively breastfed (he's huuuge). Any advice is welcome because every day that we end up with food everywhere but in the baby I feel like I've failed a little bit and that I have no clue what I'm doing.

You're right around teething time, so that can affect his eating patterns. My little guy starts refusing solids when he's got a tooth about to break through, and then resumes eating them a few days later.

Mine also loves food in the pouch container, so I let him have them. I have a really hard time getting substantial amounts of food into him before he gets bored and fussy. If I try to spoon feed him or let him self feed little bits of finger foods, he gets maybe 2oz worth. If I give him a 4oz pouch, he'll suck it down like lightning. So we do finger foods first, until he's bored, then I hand him a pouch.

The only caveat that I'd give is to check the ingredients on the back of the pouch. Many of them are labelled on the front as though they're veggies only, and if you read the back, the number one ingredient is apple puree. Nothing wrong with fruits, but most of them seem to be applesauce with some veggies added.

I actually make my guy's purees too, and I use a big syringe to refill the pouches with them. I rinse the pouch out as well as I can, then toss it in the freezer, in case there's any food residue that I didn't clean out. After I make a batch of puree, I pull the empty pouches out of the freezer and refill them, then put that in the refrigerator.

We also have a reusable silicone pouch called a Sili Squeeze, but so far he makes a huge mess with that one.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Late to the TV talk but what I found works really well with my 4-y-o is using a kitchen timer. For us it's not TV, but playing with the tablet. When that beeper goes off, tablet goes off and for some reason it's absolute magic and he's never even protested it. I've done things like come out of shower, realized his dad has given him the tablet, I set the timer for 2 minutes and say "when the timer goes off it's time to eat breakfast" and lo and behold when it goes off, he sits at the table and eats even though he only got two minutes to play.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Told the kids today that they could do whatever they wanted, but not TV, no iPad, or whatnot. They could go upstairs and play with their toys, or go outside and do whatever. They did. Upstairs at first, then mom went outside and they followed. So a pretty good first day. We will see what happens when mom is too tired to go outside with them, though. :)

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

hepscat posted:

Late to the TV talk but what I found works really well with my 4-y-o is using a kitchen timer. For us it's not TV, but playing with the tablet. When that beeper goes off, tablet goes off and for some reason it's absolute magic and he's never even protested it. I've done things like come out of shower, realized his dad has given him the tablet, I set the timer for 2 minutes and say "when the timer goes off it's time to eat breakfast" and lo and behold when it goes off, he sits at the table and eats even though he only got two minutes to play.

We do this too and it works well for us as well. The key for us was being solid on refusing the "two more minutes?" requests at the beginning. The timer is sacrosanct! With TV (actually Netflix; we don't have a TV), we just tell her that the end of the episode is the end of screen time. She got some sneaky extra episodes in before we realized that the next one plays automatically after a small delay, but we shut that down. I found that my daughter needed to know what was next in her day, as well, because screen time really sets her adrift. We limit her to one show and 10-15 minutes of ipod a day (if that) at 3.5 years old.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Lullabee posted:

Edit: I think it might be a combo of heat and drool. Dude drools like a dog lately. I clean him up every time I see it, but his skin still seems irritated.

Lanolin nipple cream. No joke. I also rubbed it on her hands since she's a perpetual hand-sucker and they get so chapped.

flyingzombiejesus
Mar 17, 2013
I'm not sure if this is best posted here or in e/n, if people think this isn't the right place I'll delete this post and start a thread over there.

---------------------

That bodes well, doesn't it!

I'm concerned that my wife is getting snowed under by baby/domestic chores, but I can't seem to get her to realise this and ask for help. It seems like every night when I get home from work she'll be running around trying to get a few jobs done before she starts getting the baby bathed and to sleep. Most often these are tasks that I can do and have done successfully before like getting a load of clothes in the washer or dryer. Meanwhile I'm stuck trying to entertain an increasingly crabby exhausted baby which isn't fun for either of us.

No matter what I've said to allow her to help more she seems to be stuck in a mentality of "I can do it quicker myself than if I had to show zombiejesus how to do it" which is ultimately wrong as I'd get faster and she could then focus on another job.

The other side of this is that when bedtime comes around we are both exhausted and just want to sleep, even when the kid is napping at the weekend she has a list of tasks to do that doesn't involve sex. I'd estimate we've been intimate less than 10 times in the year since the baby was born. I'm trying to avoid raising this as a problem with her as I don't want to seem like I'm trying to pressure her into having sex and I don't want to pile more things to worry about on to her. But at the same time I'm feeling neglected too.

We don't have much family nearby, and the baby is going through a phase where he doesn't want to be away from us, he screams in an inconsolable manner until we take him back off the friend or family member who offered to look after him.

Any suggestions how I can get her to let me help more? I think me helping more would give us more free time for "us" time which would be good for both of us.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

flyingzombiejesus posted:

I'm concerned that my wife is getting snowed under by baby/domestic chores, but I can't seem to get her to realise this and ask for help. It seems like every night when I get home from work she'll be running around trying to get a few jobs done before she starts getting the baby bathed and to sleep.

Can you give the bath and prepare the baby for bed while she does her other chores? This is the system we use, since my wife stays home with the baby. By the end of the day, my wife wants a non-baby task, and importantly, it makes sure I actually get some good baby time in the evening.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

TacoNight posted:

Can you give the bath and prepare the baby for bed while she does her other chores? This is the system we use, since my wife stays home with the baby. By the end of the day, my wife wants a non-baby task, and importantly, it makes sure I actually get some good baby time in the evening.

I was going to say that too, it sounds as though your baby is in one of the more intense phases with the clinginess and the grumpiness and it might be that your wife just wants to get away from him for a bit.

Also, and this might be completely wrong, but it might be that your wife is trying to force (not the right word exactly) some father baby time on you as she feels you don't spend enough time with your child. As I said that might be completely wrong but it's something that has come up recently in the parenting thread with mums feeling as though the dads are disconnected. If that is the case then doing stuff like TacoNight suggested like getting the baby ready for bed so your wife can have some child free time would be really nice.

If you've already suggested it and your wife has brushed it off then maybe frame it more as something you want to do for yourself and your relationship with your son rather than as a favour for her.

With the sex thing, it can take a long time to go back to normal libido wise. I've always had quite a high sex drive so it was a bit of a shock to completely not have one at all and find the thought of sex slightly distasteful.

flyingzombiejesus
Mar 17, 2013
We haven't talked about the idea of me getting the baby bathed and to sleep, I can imagine that she would have similar concerns about the time it would take for me to bath him as it's something I've never done before.

As you suggest hookerbot, It's possible that she is trying to get some daddy-son time in, I imagine I'd enjoy it more if the he wasn't all whining, crying and not wanting to be cuddled or to play with me.
We're going away to visit my in laws in a few days, assuming he actually relaxes with them enough to let us sneak out for a bit I'll see if we can't talk things through and work out a better set up for us all. And that the in laws can finally learn that joggling a crying baby up and down while going "oi oi oi" at him isn't the best way to calm a baby down. They are a little Victorian when it comes to kids.

On the sex front I completely understand that mummy hormones and stresses can play havoc with her libido, that why I've tried to avoid putting her on the spot. I wouldn't want her to put out just to keep me happy as I can't imagine sex with someone just going through the motions is all that fun.

Professor Bananas
Feb 16, 2011

We haven't talked about the idea of me getting the baby bathed and to sleep, I can imagine that she would have similar concerns about the time it would take for me to bath him as it's something I've never done before.

As you suggest hookerbot, It's possible that she is trying to get some daddy-son time in, I imagine I'd enjoy it more if the he wasn't all whining, crying and not wanting to be cuddled or to play with me.
We're going away to visit my in laws in a few days, assuming he actually relaxes with them enough to let us sneak out for a bit I'll see if we can't talk things through and work out a better set up for us all. And that the in laws can finally learn that joggling a crying baby up and down while going "oi oi oi" at him isn't the best way to calm a baby down. They are a little Victorian when it comes to kids.

On the sex front I completely understand that mummy hormones and stresses can play havoc with her libido, that why I've tried to avoid putting her on the spot. I wouldn't want her to put out just to keep me happy as I can't imagine sex with someone just going through the motions is all that fun.

I've acted much the same with the housework and baby chores while on maternity leave, wanting to get everything done myself. In my case it's because I'm very determined and need to feel like I'm good at my 'job'. When I inevitably got overstressed I had to explain to my husband that I can't keep asking him for help, it makes me feel like I'm failing - what helps is if he just does it. So if he sees something needs done (like laundry) he does it instead of asking me if he should. If he sees I'm getting stressed he says "I'll take the baby for a while, you have some time off". If he asks me if I want him to do these things I'll usually try to tough it out rather than admit I need a hand (my issue not his, I know, but it helps if he is more proactive).

We've also worked out that he gives the baby half his baths all week and half the feeds at the weekend, and the baths really give me breathing space as I get a break between the work during the day and the work during the night. Also most kiddos calm down in the water - it might be an ideal thing to do if baby's cranky and tired.

(Also thanks everyone for weaning advice, I'm going to try and roll with it more - he cried today because he had biscuit in his mouth and wanted rid of it without swallowing it so I might give finger food a rest for a bit :sigh:)

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
If you have enough money, a cleaner once a week can be fantastic. That's what we are doing, and it means that the apartment is always nice and clean and no-one has to do the cleaning.

Other than that, maybe your wife has a system for things like the laundry, and you put back the clothes in the wrong drawer or something. This is a process of compromise as you figure out the system, and she learns to relax about the occasional pink shirt that used to be white. :)

Giving the baby a bath may make things more fun for you as babies tend to like baths - it calms them - so maybe he will be more willing to play or cuddle afterwards.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Seconding the "just do it" advice, having a husband that asks permission for every little thing to do with the baby can be just as frustrating as a husband that has to be told what to do all the time. It's your kid too!

I'm really guessing your wife just wants that away from the baby time... I know in those first few months of the baby wanting to be attached to me constantly I was super stir crazy by the time my husband came home. That's why my advice to new Dads is the second they come home and put their stuff down is TAKE THE BABY.

flyingzombiejesus
Mar 17, 2013
Yup, she does have systems and plans for what laundry gets done when, a few times I've asked her if anything needs to go in the washer and got an "it's alright I'll do it later" in reply. I've been in the doghouse a few times for getting the wrong load going so I prefer to ask these days.

When possible I've taken him out to the supermarket at the weekend to give her some time out. I've recently started running again and have been getting out with him for a bit in the mornings at the weekend too.

Professor Bananas
Feb 16, 2011
It took me a while to figure out that when I was saying to my husband "I'll do it so that it gets done properly" what I really meant was "please for the love of god take the baby I'd rather do the housework". I think that going off to do housework made me feel less guilty about foisting the baby on him when I needed a break. Of course it is mixed in with a touch of me literally not understanding why he does housework in certain ways (it's gotten better, but I occasionally in the past had to redo bits of laundry that were hung so crumpled they got gross before they dried).

Maybe there's some of that going on too? In which case you offering to do the nightly bath would probably go a long way - I get really burned out during the week and I'm usually praying for Saturday by the end of it if I don't get a little bit of time off in the evenings.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
All this talk has me thinking about my situation.

I work from home, upstairs away from the main living area. I'm a software engineer and really do require long stretches of uninterrupted concentration. Being remote, I spend a lot of time on IM and have to make extra-sure to be available because of a general suspicion that anyone not in the office is slacking off.

My wife has more and more frequently been asking for help with little things. Like getting the kid dressed before she goes out. Or getting him out of his crib after a nap. Started off slow, but it's almost once an hour now. I fear at this rate, I might have to start commuting again to stay productive.

I have casually mentioned it before, with not much changing. I'm going to "have a talk" with her about it. But would appreciate any advice on how to approach it.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Giving your child baths is the most loving fun you will have as a dad for some time WRT a baby. You have to be vigilant to make sure your child isn't going to drown themselves, but other than that it is mostly giggling, splashing and small floating things (if you lack small floating things, go to the dollar store and get some.

Seriously baths are great.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Gounads posted:

I work from home, upstairs away from the main living area. I'm a software engineer and really do require long stretches of uninterrupted concentration. Being remote, I spend a lot of time on IM and have to make extra-sure to be available because of a general suspicion that anyone not in the office is slacking off.

My wife has more and more frequently been asking for help with little things. Like getting the kid dressed before she goes out. Or getting him out of his crib after a nap. Started off slow, but it's almost once an hour now. I fear at this rate, I might have to start commuting again to stay productive.

I have casually mentioned it before, with not much changing. I'm going to "have a talk" with her about it. But would appreciate any advice on how to approach it.

If you really think you're going to be productive with a small child in the house you're laughably mistaken. And if you're around, your wife WILL use you because breaks from the baby are precious, precious things.

My husband avoids working from home like the plague because he knows I'll "accidentally" leave the office door open and will take my time retrieving the kiddo if he starts bugging him. I also know I'll be lucky if I can keep him away from the office for three weeks after this baby is born because he's a programmer like you and pretty devoted to his job.

So yeah, if you're expected to be working full time you're better off just going to the office. Just don't be late coming home.

flyingzombiejesus
Mar 17, 2013

Red_Mage posted:

Giving your child baths is the most loving fun you will have as a dad for some time WRT a baby. You have to be vigilant to make sure your child isn't going to drown themselves, but other than that it is mostly giggling, splashing and small floating things (if you lack small floating things, go to the dollar store and get some.

Seriously baths are great.

We have a full flotilla of little duckies for him to flail around and try to eat, so we are already set up on that front.

On that front, I had a chat with the mrs tonight and she is more than happy to have me bath the baby "it'll let me get on with a few things".

We're going to give it a go when we get back from visiting her parents a week on saturday. Fingers crossed it helps. I'll still get my fat arse out running with the boy as well though.

Gounads posted:

You don't say how old the baby is, my boy is nearly a year old and is starting to get really interested in what mummy and daddy do, I can't imagine the effect a little hand flapping at you keyboard would have on accurate code.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
The problem is we're talking an hour and a half commute. So an average day goes from 8 to 11-12 hours. Sucks to be away from the family that much. I guess I could rent a small office nearby and "work from home" from there. But that sucks too.

The kiddo is 14 months. Keeping him away is easy, the house is actually set up pretty well for that with a fairly isolated office. Sure, occasionally he'll stand at the bottom of the stairs (behind a gate) and scream for me. But that's manageable.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Working from home can be managed and with a commute like that it sounds worth it to try if you're lucky enough to have a job that lets you do it.

So you need some clear ground rules about it - a clear time schedule. Most places of work don't begrudge you a coffe break, but maybe tell your wife you can't have more than 15 minutes every 3 hours. As your kid gets older and more aware that you're in the next room, it helps to have a home office with a door you can shut. Instead of little spurts with your kid every hour, make your lunch hour or half hour time with your kid and eat at your desk afterwards. But stick with a defined time if you can. I wouldn't let your kid get used to you being the one to get him up from a nap. I'd encourage your wife to get him outside every day in some shape or form. Playgroups, park - that's uninterrupted time for you.

edit: whoops, how did I miss you saying you have a home office. So that part's good. Take advantage while you can if you have a boss that doesn't pepper your evaluations with things like "needs more face time" :jerkbag:

hepscat fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 14, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
After I put my four-year old son and his two-year old brother to bed, within a half-hour the oldest will start screaming for me or mom. He wants to sleep with us because he gets scared in the dark. I'm only opposed to this because he flops around like a fish and neither my wife nor I get any sleep. Any suggestions as to The Right Thing to Do?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Oxford Comma posted:

After I put my four-year old son and his two-year old brother to bed, within a half-hour the oldest will start screaming for me or mom. He wants to sleep with us because he gets scared in the dark. I'm only opposed to this because he flops around like a fish and neither my wife nor I get any sleep. Any suggestions as to The Right Thing to Do?

Have you let him pick out a nightlight? My littlest has had a big crush on his light-up stars turtle for about 2 years now. It projects stars and moons in two colors on the upper deck bunk and celing. He has one specific color combination (out of several you click through) that he prefers. Doesn't like his brothers nightlight in the same room, since the extra light makes his nightlight pattern less bright.

4 year olds know what they want, and letting them pick makes it a lot more likely that things will take.

This is approximately his jam:
http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Twiligh...ht+light+turtle

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Gounads posted:

The problem is we're talking an hour and a half commute. So an average day goes from 8 to 11-12 hours. Sucks to be away from the family that much. I guess I could rent a small office nearby and "work from home" from there. But that sucks too.

The kiddo is 14 months. Keeping him away is easy, the house is actually set up pretty well for that with a fairly isolated office. Sure, occasionally he'll stand at the bottom of the stairs (behind a gate) and scream for me. But that's manageable.

Hepscat's advice might work, but my own experience as grad student is also not being able to get work done at home unless 1) the baby is asleep or 2) the baby is not in the house. Otherwise, leaving my home office to get some water or use the restroom, etc. will result in an immediate request from my wife to do something for her.

It has helped since I've started actively discussing with her the number of hours I need to put in each week to keep my project on track, and how many I have left to do that day. Mostly that has just meant her taking the baby out of the house more when I need to work.

--

Zombiejesus, since talking to your wife about bath's worked out better than you expected, you might also want to talk to her about sex. It sounds like you have a similar experience to ours for the first year. Talking about it didn't really improve the situation much for us, but it did let my wife also express her frustration. The first year is just an exhausting mess, and even when people want to help out, all too often in our experience they'll want to do it at your home, where all the baby's stuff is. And we at least have never gotten quite blunt enough to tell people "No, go somewhere else with him. Our bed is here."

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I just wanted to pipe in with an update on my super-skinny kid. It turns out I was slowly starving her, as my supply is less than she needs and she was happily wasting away. WHOOPS!

So we started supplementing her with formula and she's packing on the chub. 5 months, 12 1/2 pounds and gaining fast.

I honestly had to get over myself when it came to supplementing. I felt like I was a Super Mom for feeding my first kid with only my boobs, and if I had to add in formula with my second that somehow I was failing. I am still nursing, so she hopefully gets a lot of the good bits in breastmilk, but I also get to fatten her up and have other people feed her when I need a break. Plus, I can feed her on the go! I am getting good at feeding her while wearing her and browsing in a store or wandering around an amusement park.

Thanks for all the advice!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

shadysight posted:

Zombiejesus, since talking to your wife about bath's worked out better than you expected, you might also want to talk to her about sex. It sounds like you have a similar experience to ours for the first year. Talking about it didn't really improve the situation much for us, but it did let my wife also express her frustration. The first year is just an exhausting mess, and even when people want to help out, all too often in our experience they'll want to do it at your home, where all the baby's stuff is. And we at least have never gotten quite blunt enough to tell people "No, go somewhere else with him. Our bed is here."

Talking about sex is good, but I'd maybe wait a little while until the new bath routine is going strong in case your wife thinks that the only reason you want to help is so she'll have sex with you (and I know thats not why but in a sleep deprived constantly stressed mind it might look that way). Also there's a chance that with you taking that job off her hands and doing something with the baby might let her feel more relaxed and up for it anyway.

VorpalBunny posted:

I just wanted to pipe in with an update on my super-skinny kid. It turns out I was slowly starving her, as my supply is less than she needs and she was happily wasting away. WHOOPS!

So we started supplementing her with formula and she's packing on the chub. 5 months, 12 1/2 pounds and gaining fast.

I honestly had to get over myself when it came to supplementing. I felt like I was a Super Mom for feeding my first kid with only my boobs, and if I had to add in formula with my second that somehow I was failing. I am still nursing, so she hopefully gets a lot of the good bits in breastmilk, but I also get to fatten her up and have other people feed her when I need a break. Plus, I can feed her on the go! I am getting good at feeding her while wearing her and browsing in a store or wandering around an amusement park.

Thanks for all the advice!

That's great that she is doing so well, and that you caught it early :)

And there's nothing wrong with supplementing (or full bottle feeding) at all, being a Super Mum is more than the power to squirt fluid from your boobs. Although now I've said that I would quite like to see a comic book character with that skill.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 14, 2013

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

shadysight posted:

They need to invent a non-sleazy love hotel for new parents to get away to. Maybe with a creche!

Or perhaps you need to persuade helpful friends to take baby out for a good long walk in the park. :)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

shadysight posted:

Hepscat's advice might work, but my own experience as grad student is also not being able to get work done at home unless 1) the baby is asleep or 2) the baby is not in the house. Otherwise, leaving my home office to get some water or use the restroom, etc. will result in an immediate request from my wife to do something for her.

It has helped since I've started actively discussing with her the number of hours I need to put in each week to keep my project on track, and how many I have left to do that day. Mostly that has just meant her taking the baby out of the house more when I need to work.

Thanks for the advice. Doing something quick when I've already broken my concentration to do something isn't that big of a deal. Maybe I can actually use that. Ask her to try to save things for those times.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
How do you remove earwax from a toddler? At her last checkup the doc said she has some wax but I have no idea what to do about that. I use q-tips on myself, but I'm not sure that's safe, even with the baby-safe ones. Also, I doubt she'll hold still for that. She has tubes, if that makes a difference.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Melliemel posted:

How do you remove earwax from a toddler? At her last checkup the doc said she has some wax but I have no idea what to do about that. I use q-tips on myself, but I'm not sure that's safe, even with the baby-safe ones. Also, I doubt she'll hold still for that. She has tubes, if that makes a difference.

Never stick anything into the baby's ear canal, just wash away the wax in the outer parts of the ear. If there's more that needs to be removed, a doctor or nurse should do that.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
The advice our pedi gave us was to put our pointer-finger in a facecloth and wipe. Way too big to go into the canal, but when you wipe it might drag a bit out.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Re: Earwax. Liam has the most disgusting ears ever, except for Tim. The ped or NP will clean their ears out at check-ups and have told me that I should do nothing about it myself. It's just how they are, and it's fine. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
Are there any other parents from hot, dry climates that might have a suggestion for what to do for a 15 month old that seems to keep waking in the night thirsty? If he had the sense yet, I'd just leave a sippy cup in his crib with him, but I already know that he'd find a way to dump the contents all over his bed and then really complain.