Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Air? No, I don't think I've heard that. How do you go about finding out a thing like that?"

Lette nods vigorously at 'images and impressions.' "Yeah! But like I said, ponderous. Shortly after you all left, I tried to listen to the swamp, and in the few seconds it seemed to take to make sense of its will, hours had actually passed. Totally different from now. And you fed Iklist with a bit of your own self, your knowledge, your manner. And given where she's living, it only makes sense."

Lette's mouth hangs open for a second. "So you've got a 'daughter,' by my reckoning!" She giggles. "I didn't have a point of reference before, but it all makes sense, now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"By making the water into air and putting it back together again, without magic." He leaves it at that.

"Adopted daughter, perhaps. I don't know if I'm ready to move beyond that, yet." Or ever. "What about you? Have things changed for you since you learned of your lineage? Your instrument is damaged, but you seem to be managing. Have you learned to tap into your power without it?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Isn't it obvious at a glance? My life is change, anymore." She shrugs, something fibrous and rootlike shifting under the skin of her neck. "Been thinking about it, what's constant in change and all. It's music, sort of; it's all movement of patterns and pitches through time, and their shifts. But you can play The Cobbler's Cant as many ways as you please, and it's still The Cobbler's Cant. You know?"

She nods slowly. "A little bit. Not the same way, though. There are some melodies that I can sing that work, but I can't improvise the same way I can with strings. And it's harder to get it right. Lahti was encouraging me to practice more, and I've taken it to heart. But it's not going to happen overnight. Probably safer to buy some new strings in Noah, too."

She pauses again, recalling something else. "That rune you 'channeled,' when you were trying to make a dream shield. Can you show that to me? My dreams have been very busy, of late, but those times when I have a spare moment in my own bubble, I'm kind of... remodeling. And that could be a big help."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 13, 2013

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Change," Dolan muses. "But being in constant change can mean no change at all, if you reduce it enough. Be careful with that." He nods. "Practice is good. You have a knack for it. I'll show you the rune when we get the camp settled. I don't know how effective it is, but we can try again. Just try not to turn it inside out again."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I considered that. I think that's actually why trying to maintain a sense of identity is important, whether or not you succeed. Like..." There is a long pause as she struggles to organize this thought, which she had not yet tried to articulate.

Just as it seems she has trailed off: "...if you just go with the tides of change unconditionally, then you're constant, and you're not really anything. More a concept, like some thrall of chaos itself. The things in the void are a bit like that, I think. Hard to even describe how they look. But dead things, and un-things, they can all go with that tide; only the living can go against it. Or try to. And that effort comes from within, from some point of being that needs to be differentiated. Even if just... I don't know. Notionally. And drawing that line is... it's a lot of things. Creation, preservation. Even change — changing the world by your very existence.

"So as long as I'm fighting to hang on to what I believe is most important in me, then change doesn't bother me. The rest is just... sort of a big novena to Plyussa, I guess," she finishes, smiling.

"Oh, turning it inside out wasn't the problem, I don't think; it did that well enough. It was more the stress from the fire that ruined it. I wasn't ready to keep it all together, and it kind of exploded. Um, but not in a 'combusting' way. More... shattering, like space rippled and became a million needles for a moment. But everything's fine now." To his specific admonition, she remains otherwise silent.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 13, 2013

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit raises her brows at the discussion, and nudges Martin. "I dunno about you, but if water is made from air, then why can't I breathe it? Doesn't make sense. Do you follow any of this dear?"

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The hint of a smile plays across Dolan's face. "Your parents must have had some interesting bedtime stories for you. 'If change exists in the second degree, this necessitates change in the first degree, but not in the third, nor the fourth, nor any subsequent degree. Such a change can only be inferred, implicitly, up to the surface structure; never deeper. In this light we must consider both mind and spirit, insofar as the latter may exist, as the finite entities they are. As finite entities they have a finite degree of variation and, therefore, must have a final degree of which the resultant chaos is fully equal to zero.' Implicit Derivations of Mind and Spirit, by Dolan Togaldatur. Even chaos has its limits."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin

He looks over upon being nudged, and makes an almost helpless-looking shrug. "Not particularly, no. It is all a bit too theoretical on a subject I already do not have much experience with. There are plenty of subjects I would not be lost on, but this..." Martin shakes his head, looks at Dolan and Lette, then at Isit, then at the wine. "It might make more sense if I was more drunk."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun's eyes break from the passing scenery and thoughts of knights to glance over at both Lette and Dolan as the two talk about magic and certain theories. "Even if I could make use of magic myself, I still feel as if this particular line of talk would go over my horns." he says between chomps of his pre-dinner that consists mostly of foods he can eat with one hand whilst the other holds the reins. Dinner proper will no doubt come when camp is made.
"I must say -not that I mean any offence to the majority of you all- that I mostly find myself thankful that abilities of a magical nature are not found amongst my people and I, given how it can lead to such complicated shenanigans and mind-boggling conversations." Although, knowing his luck, some outside force will soon grant him this particular skill even if he has something to say about it. Unless Spider somehow has in someway without him knowing it... "Not that things ever seem to stay simple when magic is not even involved, I suppose."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Sometimes stories. Sometimes... philosophy, I guess. It depended on who was doing the telling. They had very different ways. Ma was a bookworm. Family all over Kirishi, some in the universities, some in the courts. Apparently she was supposed to be some kind of legal scholar, until she met my da. And apparently that's why her folks didn't keep in touch with her.

"Da was no slouch either, but he was more the type to spend a lot of time thinking while he worked. And he liked to test out his new ideas on property or ethics or what-have-you in debates, usually until the pub owners started making rules with his name in them. But then, we moved a lot, so I guess it was never a problem."

She listens as Dolan cites himself. "Um. I... might... understand? I don't know what 'second' or 'third' mean. And I don't know how you're defining 'chaos'; our experiences of it might be different. The chaos I saw, it had limits, sure enough, but only the ones we impose. Otherwise, it crowds right up to that threshold like water to a shoreline."

Despite Lo'el's stated intent, Lette's brow twitches for the briefest of instants. "Lo'el, it's only as complicated as the books you write," she says, glancing at Dolan. "Once you have a way to apprehend it, it's... different. I imagine someone born blind would be out to sea listening to a discussion of color, but if the gods granted them sight, I'm sure things would fall into place quickly."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 13, 2013

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"It's a complicated subject. What it means is that, unless something goes on forever, its pattern of changes must be predictable." He nods as she elucidates on her past. "Your parents seem quite educated, then. Being Fae, I imagine they had more time and less worry than typical humans and could focus on such pursuits."

Lo'el's comment draws a brief laugh. "Much of it would have confused my old colleagues as well. Not all Runepriests are as well-read in philosophy and science as I am. Many couldn't care less. There are dwarves who could poke a thousand holes in everything we've just said, and don't know the first thing about runes. Magic is no different than writing, or baking, or leading people. It is a skill that changes the world around you into what you want it to be. Writing a book can fill the hearts of your readers with passion that changes their lives, or turns them on a different path. Even putting a pie into the oven can burn down the house if you do it wrong. Everything takes time to learn, but sooner than you think--" He nods to Lette. "--it falls into place and makes perfect sense."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"I think the thing is," interjects the Baron, "for those of us who have seen magic very little before our respective wanderings began...well, there has not been much time to really absorb it, think about what it actually means, how it affects the world. We've been busy with one thing or another. And while you say it's no different than any other thing that one can practice," Martin adds with a look at Dolan, "you have to admit that its use, its implementation...can seem to the layman as having either no rules at all, or having such counter-intuitive rules to everything else in nature that it simply seems permanently obscure."

"I mean - I could walk the lot of you through Perin's treatises on a proper duelist's guard, but anyone can hold a sword and see how small changes in positioning can matter." Martin pantomimes a parry as emphasis. "Matters of ethical philosophy...one can work through the implications easily, get to a practical application where you can see what it means for your own life, even if it is a bit abstract. Abstract is not a problem; obscurity is. The rules of court, governance, justice: who sits where, when one speaks, the reasons why I might address one person as my lord and another as your lordship, or perhaps the same person as either in a different scenario; who deserves leniency from the court and who does not, how a lord can properly go about integrating a community of people into his lands without upsetting those already there...perhaps I am merely biased by familiarity, but these are straightforward things in a sense, with a straightforward logic. Once you see the pattern, the rest is intuitive."

He shakes his head. "Which is why the rest of us have a hard time keeping up when magic comes into the picture, because everything just seems contradictory, counter-intuitive, or just dangerously indirect. The pattern seems non-existent. When you say things like water is made of air or you discuss degrees of chaos or saying that constant change is no change at all, then you have to understand it sounds like lunacy to the uninitiated in a way that doesn't happen with other subjects."

"But," Martin finally says, "as long as you, practicing it more directly, understand, that's the important part. So long as you are willing to deal with blank looks from the rest of us sometimes."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 13, 2013

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan nods as Martin speaks. "You are absolutely correct. And the reason these things seem natural, even to someone who has only studied them for a short time, is because they are made by people. They are intended to be straightforward to our senses so that they can be learned and taught and used. On the other hand, magic, water, and chaos are all natural, and if there's one thing this kind of study has taught me, it's that whatever created our world doesn't give a drat one way or another if we understand it. You are absolutely right. It does sound insane. I, too, have wondered at the sanity of our creator."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"But then, if something goes on forever, it's always predictable in at least one sense — that it'll continue. And by that same notion, finite things always have to have at least one unpredictable quality, right?"

She nods. "Oh sure, she was educated. Da could take her out of the academy, but nothing could take the academy out of her. He was a bit more instinctual about it, though; a wilder of sorts, in your way of putting it. And um, I don't think either of them knew. About what we are, I mean. At least, not until a few months ago, when they changed. Like a lifetime of pent-up nature flooded out at once." She stares off into the swamp, recalling the bits and pieces of the event. ...But they turned out alright, anyway. Why is that still so frightening?

After a time, she asks: "Have you any other family, Dolan? I mean, apart from Iklist."

The exchange between Martin and Dolan brings a smile back to her lips as the dwarf gives a far better answer than she could have. "I don't know how help you understand how it 'clicks'... but then, I think you do grasp it on some level, with your own new talent. You pretty much have to make sense of it in a hurry. It's good that it's not something you have to go through alone, at least."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"That...see, that makes sense. So it is supposed to be absurd, then?" Martin pauses to consider that for a moment, then smiles thinly, regarding Dolan with a look that seems close to impressed. "I can handle things that are supposed to be absurd. I thought the problem was with my understanding. A little leap of faith then, I suppose." He had made more than a few of those of late - some public, such as being wed to Isit; some not, such as his deal with the Huntress. Thus far, his record with the results of such leaps was very, very, good.

To Lette, he nods. "I suppose so, on both counts. Better to have people I can talk to about it, and it's probably important to get the hang of it quickly. Doesn't make it less mad, though."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"If you want to look at it that way, then yes, you can say it is supposed to be absurd. I prefer to think that it isn't supposed to be anything. It merely is. But we could argue till the sun comes up about whether anything is supposed to be anything and come no closer to an answer."

He pauses briefly at Lette's question. Something he hasn't thought about in a long time. "My mother died giving birth to my brother, who didn't survive. My father died when I was young. Young in dwarf terms, anyway. It was fourty years later."

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 14, 2013

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I'm sorry."

She pats Cinnamon Roll's mane absently, considering. That's no way to go through life...

"Alright, then," she says, nodding. "It's decided: I'm adopting you as my grandpa. Never got to have one of those. And you said it yourself, there could even be some nonsensical relation between Acanthi and Iklist.

"But then, when was the last time we harbored any conceit of sense?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 14, 2013

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan shrugs. "Two weeks ago, I think. Coincidentally, before I met any of you." he nods. "Grandfather it is."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun smiles and nods in agreement with Martin. "Well, if it is supposed to not make sense, then I suppose that...makes sense." His grin grows at those words. "It is something which I can never truly understand. But at least it is not as confusing for long to those with a talent for it."

Lette's continued exchange with Dolan keeps his attention for a while longer as they move onto the subject of family. Having known as much of the dwarf's past as the others, he cannot help but be surprised and saddened by news of his past. He had sensed some tragedy there, given how Dolan often keeps himself silent on the subject, but it does not make it any less tragic when it is confirmed.
"I am also sorry, Dolan. Losing family is the hardest thing of all, especially when they are so closely related. I trust they are blessed with eternal peace in a world beyond this one."

The next spoken words between the two also give him a surprise, but a smile springs to his face this time as it is nothing but a cause for celebration. "That is..." Words almost fail him as this strange and wonderful family of theirs gains yet another member. "Congratulations, 'Grandfather'. Although, I would have said 'Uncle', for you cannot be so old. A fine addition to this growing family indeed."
He glances to Asha at his side with his continued grin and now with a jovial tone. "Almost makes you feel left out, no?"

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Asha

Standing quiet attendance, thoughts adrift of serpentine messengers, looming prophecies and the weary wickedness of the world--the lighter matters draw a wan smile to the knight as she shifts her stance slightly and glances to Dolan. "We have all been brought together from such strange paths--it has made for... quite the family. I believe that our fellowship is a strong one, however--I've not had finer company." She muses quietly. Lo'el's remark makes the centaur blink, head tilting before she looks to the winsome faun at her flank. "Left--ahh, well, right--" her brows rise as she fairly abruptly colors a most unseemly crimson. "...yes." She manages to mutter before becoming rather fixated on fetching and polishing an apple from her satchel, taking a swift bite; perhaps the proverb of being what you ate held more veracity, given her canny resemblance to the bright red of the fruit. Deftly, she offers the same-such apple to Lo'el then.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 14, 2013

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The dwarf cocks an eyebrow. "I'm old enough to be your grandfather's grandfather. You surface people are surprisingly short-lived."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

The Baron offers a brief look of sympathy at Dolan's family woes, but that quickly gives way to a bemused-and-amused look at Lette's 'decision'. "This is getting a little silly now, isn't it," Martin laughs, shaking his head. "But then, I have said as much before that we are all family of a sort, even if it is not official in some cases."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He smiles and chuckles heartily at Asha's colouring, such an unexpected yet pleasant sight it can still be to see the hardy knight take on the colour of the apples she so adores. He cannot help but laugh as the roles seem somewhat reversed for a moment. The apple she then hands him is met with a brighter smile and as much of a bow of thanks he can give in his saddle. "My thanks as ever, M'lady."

Turning back to Dolan then. "Gods, you cannot be that old. Why, you do not appear a day over-" When he then tries for a better look at the dwarf's face, that which is hidden underneath all the hair, he then notices almost for the first time that there is a hint of almost unnatural agelessness. Much like that of Isit and other long living people he has so far encountered. The dwarf could very well fall anywhere between thirty years and fifty. "Well, for one who could be a grandfather's grandfather, you are doing very well for yourself indeed, Dolan. My own grandfather would be quite jealous."
To think of all those years one could live whilst his own and so many others barely reach one half of theirs. Many more years to read, learn and see. What a blessing that would be.

Turning in the saddle to fetch his own wine from his belongings, the faun then raises the wineskin to Martin before taking a sip. "To one appearingly strange, yet wonderful family."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit shakes her head at the proceedings. Dolan didn't seem particularly grandfatherly to her, but grandfather Auivas had been a bit of a drunk, so that might account for the discrepancy. Holding back an incredulous laugh, she offers Larisa some wine too. "This is getting to be some next level poo poo."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
"Good." comes Larisa's vehement reply as the party decides to move on, and- safe and secure in the swamp as far as anyone's able to tell, they press on. The night begins to deepen, without rest- but they continue on, talk of family and philosophy finding little apparent audience in the gloom of the swamp to either side. At length, night falls too darkly for even the friendly confines of Acanthi to be safe to travel further, without any lightening up of the swamp's density. Sensing it unlikely that anyone would interrupt them, camp is simply and quickly made in a wide spot in the road; Skoll, as ever indefatigable, paces around the outside in the pitch darkness with the occasional cheerful pant. As sleep comes, instead of prophecy for good or ill the party all feel something similar to what Lette and Martin had days ago; immediately on falling asleep, a vast, warm blanket of green enfolds them, shielding them from anything outside and quickly stifling attempts to think- the slow, ponderous thoughts of the swamp are far stronger than merely human or fae minds, and as a result while the sleep could possibly be considered disturbing, when all wake up in the morning they're more refreshed than after any sleep for quite some time. Only Lo'el has his green sleep disturbed by the feathery brush of tiny legs across the back of his head and an almost-too-faint-to-hear woman's scornful laugh.

Morning comes, with another round of wolf slobber to ensure everyone's woken up- the wolf, at least, seems utterly unaffected by her time in a sentient swamp. More hiking awaits, and more is done- by midmorning, the mud dries and trees get sparser as the swamp finally thins out. Lette and Martin- and to a lesser extent, Dolan- can Feel when they leave the swamp like breaking through an invisible soap bubble as they pass onto a more clearly marked road. By the looks of things, the swamp had expanded about a third of the way towards Noah, about as sizable a leap as it had done in the opposite direction. Now it was a very large terrain feature in the local geography, far more than the bypassable hazard it once had been. The road is clear, and the path towards Noah devoid of hazards and athletic harpies alike, allowing the party to make good time back and arrive at Noah by afternoon. The city bustles; the wall is more than half built, with a small army of craftsmen rallied to try to finish a contiguous set of defenses before the storm breaks. The guards, as may be expected, usher everyone into the Mayor's presence posthaste. Lord Roland, thankfully not dead, has unhappily not fully recovered even yet; still, he is recovering though not recovered, with some of the color back in his cheeks, and most of the old glint in his eyes. "I received the news." He says, quietly- "At least, as much as Naantali relayed to me. Let's be sure she didn't decide to glide over any unpleasantness on the off chance you hadn't returned- please, take a seat, have a drink." He waves everyone to some comfortable looking chairs, a welcome sight after so long on the road. "Is it as bad as we feared?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

Even if the swamp was perhaps a bit more familiar than it had been in the past, the sight of Noah - a partially rebuilt Noah, even, from the look of things - was more than welcome in Martin's mind. It was a comfortable place, even for all the strangeness around it. Perhaps that played some role in how central it was to things, and perhaps not. It was a shame that they were not returning with good news, but at least they were all returning - an outcome that had not been quite sure, and one that he offered a quiet prayer of thanks for.

Soon enough, Lord Roland is addressing them, and after a brief bow, Martin sits as is suggested. "It is not the news we hoped for, your Lordship," says Martin with a hint of regret. "Though it is not hopeless. Queen Feathershaft is not unwilling to meet, but she insists that it is on her terms - that you and Naantali would come to her if you wish to talk directly, with her army at her back. She indicated also, your Lordship, that she was skeptical of any sort of power-sharing agreement. And the existence of common enemies, of common goals, and of the costs of a war, swayed her little either towards a more neutral summit or towards peace. She's quite convinced she will win if it comes to war, and said as much."

"Still," he notes cautiously, "she hasn't ruled out talking, yet. And we inadvertently managed to delay her quite significantly. You may note the geography to the north has changed slightly; that is mostly Lette's clever doing, and it should extend the Queen's march by quite a lot. There may be time to finish the wall, at least." Pausing, Martin considers whether or not to mention the map - still as yet undrawn - but something stays him from it. The ease with which Roland was attacked, and the arrow switched, was still a worry. Even if Roland himself was uncompromised, those close to him might not be. There would be a time for it, but this was not yet it.

After a second or two, his face lights up, though. "Oh, I almost forgot! You'll have to excuse us for not telling you sooner, but we had almost no time to plan the whole thing, and then we had to head north as soon as possible on your business, anyway, your Lordship..." Beaming, he looks over at Isit, and then back at the Lord Mayor. "In what I suppose is the most unambiguously happy news you will hear for a while, Lady Isit and I are now happily married. We were wed the night before we left on this most recent journey - not long after our last meeting with you, in fact." A pause. "So there's that."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

With Martin giving one side of the coin, Lette opts to share the other. "According to the courier who delivered your last message to her, the queen reacted positively — pleased, even. I see only two things to take from that: either she's itching for war, or that she values assertiveness. We also know that her relationship with her father is rocky at best; he's concerned that she is too eager to take the nonviolent route, and said as much to Alec. I'm not saying 'rule out the first possibility,' but just that I'd give higher odds to the second.

"It still leaves the problem of how to respond, though. Meeting her on her own terms could come off as overeager, an admission of weakness; it could also seem wise, placing the needs of the people over pride. Did Naantali share a personal reaction to it all?"

When Martin references the swamp, Lette nods. "It's a sacred place. It poses no danger in and of itself, but it also has unique defenses against outside threats. Please let your people know that it is not to be harmed or exploited. I'd like to avoid needless mishaps and go straight to the 'living in harmony' part for once."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The trip back through the swamp was quite pleasant, even if he could not shake the memory of skittering female laughter from when he had drifted to sleep. He likes to tell himself it was only Larisa playing whilst they all slept. It is a far better thought then dwelling on the alternative. He was almost getting used to the smell of the place by the time they finally made their exit. He had expected the swamp to stretch as far south as it had north, but the sheer extent of it's growth still gave way to a look of wonder that barely left his face on the ride back to Noah.

And an equally pleasant trip from the swamp to the city it was too. No unexpected delays or encounters, just a hurried ride with friends and a chance to take in the scenery, even if he did still keep himself alert for surprises. After all the travelling through the wild and unknown, the growing walls of Noah brought about a smile and long sigh of relief.

When it comes time to meet with the Mayor, and to at long last pass over their gained information, the faun bows in greeting and remains silent as Martin and Lette say all that needs to be told. The offer to sit is politely declined. His knight master cannot very well sit in these chairs so he decides to stand as she must. An unspoken gesture of further solidarity, he supposes.

When Lette and Martin do finish, he clears his throat and speaks. "Lord Mayor, now that you have our news, what might you ask of us next?"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"drat the woman," Lord Roland comments- not specifying who. "So we're to meet at swordpoint and hope the woman's honor is enough to keep us alive. That's not the best outcome, no." The Mayor strokes his chin, adding, "And it may well be that she's correct about a war. Even with the Freehold, we can't match them in terms of fighting strength in the field- it'd have to be a siege, and us hoping they're not ruthless enough to burn the fields while we hide inside stone walls." He pours himself a cup of wine- pale, and highly watered, from the looks- and drinks while letting that cool assessment hang in the air. "Some scouts had told me the swamp has gotten bigger. I would have worried if it hadn't stopped, but-" he shrugs. "It didn't upset much cropland, so frankly it's not even on my list of things I stay up at nights worrying over. Never mind that. Anyway, Naantali's version of events agreed closely. I'd take that as a compliment, since it may imply she expected you to get back here without dying. She is... I gather she has some history with overbold demigods." The Mayor's smile is thin and bloodless. "Spawn of Anadyr or not, if I left Naantali in a room with her I'd be surprised if my perhaps wife-to-be didn't stride out five minutes later with bloody claws and perhaps other things as well. Needless to say, she isn't enthusiastic about meeting on the queen's terms, but I expect if I do she will as well if just to keep her hand in. I see no real alternative to going to meet with her, and frankly, since we'll be on her territory anyway-" he shrugs. "No guards. They'd be pointless if she wanted to hurt us, may as well be bold in reply to boldness. Which just leaves waiting for her to show up, while we frantically build our walls high." The Lord reclines, a bit paler than he had been at the start. "My congratulations on your wedding, Baron. You may be surprised to hear that a little bird had told me of it already, not long after you left. A public affair, after all, in an open temple. I do try to keep up with society affairs, if you'll excuse the word. Let's hope this unpleasantness ends soon so the two of you can get on with a happier life. Now." He claps his hands together. "I don't know how long we have until the army shows up, but until then I don't have anything urgent that requires your attention. Gods know you could be of use continuing to talk back and forth with Naantali, or hunting down those wretched cultists, or ranging south to try to pick up mercenary bands or some such, but-" he shrugs. "None of it is urgent, to my mind. If you need rest and relaxation, you're welcome to it as long as you need, at least until the thunder clouds on the horizon start to rumble."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She lets the others fill the mayor in, and he makes the correct assumptions. It was more likely to be a blood bath than not, such was the way of things. "Well, she may yet have enemies. An assassin still stalks her forces. Who knows? Perhaps we'll get lucky and she'll bite it. That'd be an unlikely stoke of luck though. And we still have another queen as a friend of this city."

Isit grins as the wedding is brought up. "Thank you! It was a lovely ceremony. A bit spur of the moment, but war can make the best of us rash. After all, who knows what tomorrow could bring? We'd love to relax, however I do think that one of your suggestions has a good deal of merit. I know a few ex-soldiers that do mercenary work and think I could sort the good from the bad. Especially if I run across my training Sargent's company. A long shot of finding them, they operate under a new name each season....but even if we don't, I would like to make an attempt." Pausing, she looks at the others. "What say you lot?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

As Roland speaks, Martin listens intently, nodding at certain statements, trying to build a picture of how things were going to go. The Lord Mayor of Noah seemed intent on doing much what Martin had expected with respect to the Queen, that was plain - and his take on the situation was much the same as the Baron's. Soon enough, he smiles at the Mayor's congratulations. "Thank you, your Lordship. I suppose I should not have been surprised that you knew already. It was something Isit and I had been considering, but...we decided that moving things up was the right idea, what with everything going on. Who knows what tomorrow could bring indeed, as the lady so succinctly put it." Martin all but beams for a brief moment as he says that.

But it was the rest that gave Martin just a hint of pause - something seemed to him to not quite add up. How exactly was it that there was nothing urgent that the Lord Mayor could think of for them? Why did he seem so unconcerned about what they did next?

And wasn't there something rather conspicuous missing from Roland's list of priorities?

"I thank you for the offer of some time to relax, but there seems to be plenty of things that could use our attention," he says after a moment. He looks to Isit and nods at her suggestion - but his concern about Roland is perhaps subtly there on his face. "Agreed. Bolstering the city's defenses with more soldiers might be one of the best things we can do right now. Though there may well be time for more than one endeavor before the storm arrives, that one will likely do more to turn the tide." Not that he didn't want to track down the remnants of Spider's lot when the chance presented itself, but this particular plan could serve more than one purpose - and who's to say they couldn't pick up that trail in passing?

A pause, and Martin turns to address the group as a whole. "Though since we'd not get too far today, we may as well at least spend tonight in Noah, I think? A couple things to attend to before we leave as well, I should think."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 17, 2013

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Oh." Naantali's past is a mystery to Lette, but that degree of animosity probably won't help things along. Or, then again, maybe it'd be perfect — if assertiveness is the desirable trait it seems to be, at least. So many ifs, buts, and maybes. "I hope that doesn't become necessary," she says, and leaves it at that.

"Has there been much progress on rebuilding the temples?" she asks. It's one worthy task she could set herself to, certainly, though she has other ideas as well.

She raises a mossy brow at the notion that there aren't urgent pursuits at hand. "Don't take this the wrong way, sir, but you've picked kind of a funny time to wax cavalier." She wonders how his medics might be dosing him.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"More mercenaries, yes." Lord Roland sighs. "I don't want to think about the treasury when all this is done, but I suppose the main thing is to make sure there is one." A brief shadow passes over the Mayor's face as Martin hints of another more fruitful endeavor, and he says, "I'm sure you know best what the best chance is of helping- I've faith in your ability and wisdom, given what you've already done for me and this city." Lette's questions draw the ruler to recline, steepling his fingers- "The temples? Afraid not. All the skilled masons are working on the walls- I can attend to matters of faith when I'm sure my head won't be forcibly separated from my shoulders in the near future, if you catch my meaning. As for how cavalier I am-" The grin has no mirth in it. "When everything is critical, nothing is, forgive me. I have other agents I can call into play for other matters- we are at the point where while your help is certainly greatly desired I can no longer point to any place where having you specifically involved is critical." He waves one hand, adding, "Whatever you choose to do, I'm certain a good meal and some time to relax will come first- please, don't allow me to detain you any longer. Simply keep me informed of your aims, so I can be sure I don't waste any effort. I'm sure you'll accomplish whatever you choose to do."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"A night in a proper bed would be welcome," Dolan says. Idleness was not in his plans, but neither was immediately running off into the wilderness to spend another night on the rocky ground. He turns to the others. "Thoughts? Mercenaries sounds like a good bet at this point, assuming we can secure any."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Mercenaries, adventurers, allies - one way or another, the cost matters little until peace comes, whether by war or by accord, your Lordship. Irresponsible as it sounds." Martin nods in agreement. But there's still a doubt or two in his mind - perhaps even more doubt than before, in fact, at Roland's mention of other agents. The doppelganger, perhaps? It would fit, somehow. Some persons yet unknown? Quite possible. But those were not the possibilities that were of the most concern; that would be the threat left unmentioned by the Mayor.

He stands, offers his customary bow-and-salute, and smiles. "In any case, I believe we will take our leave. It has been a long few days. We'll send word on our intentions before leaving Noah so that you are aware, though I imagine heading south and east will be part - sellswords, allies, and loose ends of enemies are all in that direction, I expect." Stretching lazily, Martin's smile grows a bit. "Yes, a couple errands, then a large and expensive dinner, good beds, and an evening free from worry afterwards, that should be about right for us. Then to work in the morning once more. Be well, Lord Roland."

It isn't long before they are on their way outside. "With luck, we will find your old comrades rather close at hand, dear," he suggests, looking at Isit. "There are some things we all ought to discuss before we embark upon the evening's festivities, though. For one, we need to figure our exact course." Martin drops his voice, then. "And I have some concerns. About - well, everything. Ones we all must discuss, best discussed in private."

At that, he looks to Dolan. "Perhaps we should go somewhere more remote, and you could provide us with some silence, if you would please?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Another task is set, albeit not directly set by the Mayor himself. Despite all the worries at their hooves -and feet- already, gathering allies for a battle that is more than likely to happen does rank highly on the list of immediate priorities. With any luck, Isit's former comrades are not too far a ride from Noah as he fears they may be. And hopefully their numbers might be large enough to make this all worthwhile. Still, even just a handful of soldiers like Isit may help turn the tide somehow.

The faun bows to the Mayor as his companions begin to take their leave. "Well then, until next time, Lord Mayor. Blessings to you, as always. And may your health continue to replenish as quickly as it seemingly has." Turning then, he exits close behind Martin and keeps an ear on the noble as he speaks.

"'Concerns'." he repeats after the man. "We all have no shortage of those. It does indeed seem there are matters to discus before we can truly relax for the remainder of the day. Onward to somewhere more remote then. And afterwards..." He smiles, tongue licking at his lips with a faint rumble in his belly. "...we can see about that large and expensive dinner."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Quite right," Dolan says, leading the others away and back out of the town gates. Inside would work, but with the eagles about, he would prefer being able to see for a good distance to be certain that they were not being watched through more devious means. Very possibly they might know a way to listen in despite his efforts. It would not do to underestimate agents of the former empire. So out he leads them, but not to the same place they spoke last time in such a manner. Once situated well outside the town walls, he scratches the rune into the ground, bringing silence and privacy. "Thoughts?" he repeats.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

He makes the walk mostly in silence - the subject at hand was a gravely serious one, and he wanted to give it the proper thought while he had the chance. Which was not to say he was unsure that he had guessed rightly, or at least close to rightly. What to do about it was another thing entirely, though. For that matter, Martin was not quite sure what the others would think of his observation, though part of him suspected he may not have been the only person to notice.

Finally, their chosen conference location is reached, and once Dolan gives the go-ahead, Martin speaks without any cheer whatsoever. "I noticed something quite curious when we were speaking to his Lordship," he states flatly, in a tone usually reserved for announcing that someone has died. "All the threats to Noah, all the potential helpful things he could have mentioned, and not word one about the Eagles. Not a single thing about the one power to have outright attacked within the walls of the city."

"He's been acting strange for a while, and his words today...nothing about the Eagles, Naantali being his perhaps wife-to-be, mentioning mysterious other agents, implying we no longer need to be in the picture while at the same time suggesting things to make ourselves useful that will once again keep us away from Noah.

"I may well be jumping at shadows," Martin acknowledges, drawing the words out for emphasis. "But my gut tells me Lord Roland is plotting something, and that it is not the good sort of plot. And moreover I am beginning to doubt the Lord Mayor's trustworthiness - if indeed he ever was."

"What do you lot think? Am I being paranoid, or is there something here?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I don't know what's going on with him, but I've been worried since the attack. Caria can't find him, Spider can't find him... Nadym- hell, Nadym bluntly suggested he might just be dead. And if Vuoksi can shed any light on it, her temple probably won't help us reach her. So I haven't known what to think for a bit.

"Honestly, I'm glad we didn't tell him about the you-know-what," she says with a meaningful nod to Lo'el. "And we shouldn't go telling others about it, either, the way he's got ears everywhere and all. Which still leaves the problem of how to move on it without driving most of them to ground. We'd have to call in every marker we have, I guess... and then some. I don't know. How many fae do you suppose we can get?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"You're not the only one," Dolan says. "His behavior changed, slightly but noticeably, and there was possibility that the Fox spoke of. Other than that, when we spoke after he was injured, there was a look in his eye, something... I can't explain it, but I have learned to trust my intuition over the years, even if I don't know the entire truth and can't act." He pauses, tapping his chin. "I had considered that the doppelganger might have taken his place, but everything leads me to believe that it is on our side, or at least neutral, ostensibly. There is another, though..."

He hesitates, then carves another rune into the ground to guard against magical eavesdropping, doubling up on their protection. "I omitted some details in the wolf's temple, when I tried to investigate that mask. To be blunt, it was for your protection as much as mine. There was magic at work on that mask which is forbidden in the mountainhome. The fact that I know it exists would be enough to have me excommunicated, likely exiled or zeroed or worse. There was an intelligence in that mask, and it tried to switch places with me. Had it succeeded, it would have been me. It would have known all I know, it would have been able to act in my stead while I was powerless to stop it, and it probably would never have been detected by any of you. It could have traveled in my body until I died or it found a new host, and decided to move on, living forever this way. I'm sure you understand just how dangerous such a being could be. And why I hope to Fortune and Fate and whatever gods you may or may not believe in that I am wrong, and that this presence has not found a way to inhabit one of the most powerful men in the region."

• Locked thread