Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Different storage pools would be the corresponding equallogic talk, yes. Make sure they're supported by the same amount of disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Confirm/Deny EMC Powerlink's website is terrible.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Confirm.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, it's awful.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

It makes cisco's website look good

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We're making GBS threads on EMC so I felt the need to post.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Corvettefisher posted:

I refuse to believe this is possible

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Reality-rift up in here.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Erwin posted:

Yeah, it's awful.

Worse than NOW?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Different storage pools would be the corresponding equallogic talk, yes. Make sure they're supported by the same amount of disks.

I think that maybe the PS4000 doesn't have such fine grained functionality. I think that I am only able to assign a SAN as a total unit to a storage pool rather than disks within the enclosure. Like I have a Primary storage pool with a single SAN assigned (with all of its storage) and a Replication storage pool with a single different SAN (with all of its storage). I am looking around and don't see any way to split a SAN into multiple storage pools. It seems like I can add multiple SANs to a single pool however.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Speaking of horrible websites, has anyone seen the web interface for a HP MSL6000-series tape library? That poo poo is atrocious.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

skipdogg posted:

Powerlink is Dead, long live support.emc.com.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Amandyke posted:

Powerlink is Dead, long live support.emc.com.

Which is also a confusing and unhelpful mess.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
I'm going to ask here because I trust SA more than I trust our SAN guys.

We have a very large installation of EMC VNX systems, 5400's and 5700s to be exact. I reached out to the SAN guys to see if iSCSI was supported since we are already doing NFS mounts for light workload systems and was told it was not supported.

Some simple googling leads me to believe otherwise, could this just be a matter of it is not licensed on our environment?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't the datamovers talk iSCSI to the backend?

E: why do you want iSCSI?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 21, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

routenull0 posted:

I'm going to ask here because I trust SA more than I trust our SAN guys.

We have a very large installation of EMC VNX systems, 5400's and 5700s to be exact. I reached out to the SAN guys to see if iSCSI was supported since we are already doing NFS mounts for light workload systems and was told it was not supported.

Some simple googling leads me to believe otherwise, could this just be a matter of it is not licensed on our environment?

You can in fact buy those units with File only instead of Unified, which would not give you iSCSI. I'd be surprised if that is how they were purchased, but it could be. Plus, if you are big enough to have "storage guys" you should probably listen to their recommendation. What do you need to do with iSCSI that can't be done with NFS? There are some situations where you need iSCSI instead of NFS, but they are fairly specific.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Internet Explorer posted:

Plus, if you are big enough to have "storage guys" you should probably listen to their recommendation.
Never blindly accept anyone's recommendation/explanation if it sounds spurious or flat-out wrong to you. Trust, but verify.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Hey Compellent, now that Java6 is EOL it'd be a great time to release controller firmware that doesn't require it.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

cheese-cube posted:

Speaking of horrible websites, has anyone seen the web interface for a HP MSL6000-series tape library? That poo poo is atrocious.

Yep. It's horrible, and isn't the default password still "2"? or is that the IBM version

The worst interface ever made is the Remote Web Console for HDS USP-V/HP XP systems.

The best is probably the XIV gui.

Thrawn
Sep 10, 2004

You can in fact buy those units with File only instead of Unified, which would not give you iSCSI. I'd be surprised if that is how they were purchased, but it could be. Plus, if you are big enough to have "storage guys" you should probably listen to their recommendation. What do you need to do with iSCSI that can't be done with NFS? There are some situations where you need iSCSI instead of NFS, but they are fairly specific.

Even on the Unified boxes, iSCSI is a separate option. It requires separate I/O modules added to the SPs to provide iSCSI ports. That was not clearly communicated to us when we purchased our VNX 5500, & I didn't discover it until a couple months down the road when I wanted to setup a new host with iSCSI. I was able to go back to our sales rep & get her to issue us the iSCSI modules for free, so I don't know what the cost normally is for that "feature", but it is definitely possible to purchase a VNX without iSCSI capability.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thrawn posted:

Even on the Unified boxes, iSCSI is a separate option. It requires separate I/O modules added to the SPs to provide iSCSI ports. That was not clearly communicated to us when we purchased our VNX 5500, & I didn't discover it until a couple months down the road when I wanted to setup a new host with iSCSI. I was able to go back to our sales rep & get her to issue us the iSCSI modules for free, so I don't know what the cost normally is for that "feature", but it is definitely possible to purchase a VNX without iSCSI capability.

If they sold you a Unified box without everything needed for iSCSi then your sales rep was a moron.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

If they sold you a Unified box without everything needed for iSCSi then your sales rep was a moron.
I'm confused about why you think this is a unique or even uncommon situation.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Zephirus posted:

Yep. It's horrible, and isn't the default password still "2"? or is that the IBM version

The worst interface ever made is the Remote Web Console for HDS USP-V/HP XP systems.

The best is probably the XIV gui.

Hah yeah that's still the default password. I've used the V7000 incarnation of the XIV GUI and it is awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Misogynist posted:

I'm confused about why you think this is a unique or even uncommon situation.

I'm confused as to why you think I think this is a unique or even uncommon situation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'm confused as to why you think I think this is a unique or even uncommon situation.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Encrypted Mount points, which I can't do with NFS.

Edit: I guess I should elaborate.

We use a configuration backup application for all of our network equipment and we have an IA requirement that the configurations should be stored on an encrypted file system. Not a big deal, I could run application off a local mount point with RHEL/LUKS and be done, but that removes the resiliency of having it on the SAN like we do now via NFS. Right now if we lose the server, no big deal, re-mount the NFS share on another server, swap IPs and we are back in business.

It is my understanding that the quickest way to satisfy this requirement is either an iSCSI target(which I can control the actual filesystem, unlike NFS, and still run LUKS/ext4) or putting an actual HBA in the servers we use. Obviously the former was a cleaner option.

I could be totally missing something, but what the requirement I am looking to satisfy cannot be done with NFS.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 25, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

routenull0 posted:

Encrypted Mount points, which I can't do with NFS.

Edit: I guess I should elaborate.

We use a configuration backup application for all of our network equipment and we have an IA requirement that the configurations should be stored on an encrypted file system. Not a big deal, I could run application off a local mount point with RHEL/LUKS and be done, but that removes the resiliency of having it on the SAN like we do now via NFS. Right now if we lose the server, no big deal, re-mount the NFS share on another server, swap IPs and we are back in business.

It is my understanding that the quickest way to satisfy this requirement is either an iSCSI target(which I can control the actual filesystem, unlike NFS, and still run LUKS/ext4) or putting an actual HBA in the servers we use. Obviously the former was a cleaner option.

I could be totally missing something, but what the requirement I am looking to satisfy cannot be done with NFS.

I'll admit to knowing nothing about what you are talking about, but is sounds like you could just present a vdisk to your VM over NFS and then just format it with whatever encrypted file system you want. Is there any reason you can't? Just because the vmdk is on NFS, doesn't mean you can't install whatever file system you want and encrypt it.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

I'll admit to knowing nothing about what you are talking about, but is sounds like you could just present a vdisk to your VM over NFS and then just format it with whatever encrypted file system you want. Is there any reason you can't? Just because the vmdk is on NFS, doesn't mean you can't install whatever file system you want and encrypt it.

The application might require a physical server.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Ask me how you can get $2000 worth of free NetApp training. PM me an e-mail address if you're seriously interested, this is a promotion but I'm not entirely sure it's meant to be goon-rushed or for those not actually interested in NetApp.

Introduction to NetApp Products
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.2 New Features
What's New in Data ONTAP 8.2 Licensing
Data ONTAP License Key Replacement Scenarios
Technical Overview of Licensing in Data ONTAP 8.2
NetApp Transition Fundamentals
Clustered Data ONTAP Fundamentals
Data ONTAP 7-Mode Fundamentals
System Setup for FAS2200 Series
FAS2240 Architecture and Configuration
FAS3200/ V3200 Series Architecture and Configuration
FAS6200/ V6200 Series Architecture and Configuration
Technical Overview of AutoSupport Family
Technical Overview of OnCommand System Manager
Flash Cache Architecture, Configuration, and Maintenance
Architecture, Configuration, and Implementation of Flash Pool

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 26, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Look what finally showed up today after almost 3 weeks.

8x600GB 15K and 7x2TB 7.2K SAS

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Yeah, this isn't a VM environment.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
It's a long shot but what about LVM replication? I have no idea if that will work with LUKS.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hackedaccount posted:

It's a long shot but what about LVM replication? I have no idea if that will work with LUKS.

LUKS is just a container. It runs fine inside LVM. It's useless for his application unless he wants to use a loopback filesystem on NFS (no) or he presents iSCSI, in which case LVM/noLVM is completely superfluous.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah maybe I didn't phrase it correctly. Instead of using some type of shared storage (iSCSI, NFS, SAN) he could use LVM replication to a 2nd host.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hackedaccount posted:

Yeah maybe I didn't phrase it correctly. Instead of using some type of shared storage (iSCSI, NFS, SAN) he could use LVM replication to a 2nd host.

In that case, you'd be better off just rsyncing files to a LUKS container on a 2nd host. Or using LUKS on top of DRBD with no LVM.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Thanks for all the suggestions and direction. I think can hack around this using encFS on top of the NFS share.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

routenull0 posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions and direction. I think can hack around this using encFS on top of the NFS share.

Honest question: is there a reason nbd or drbd won't work?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

evol262 posted:

Honest question: is there a reason nbd or drbd won't work?

Honest answer: I don't know what those are, but I'll gladly look into it. I'm just a Network Engineer with some *nix experience.

The server is just a management server running things CACTI, IP allocation programs, configuration management and change control, etc. After a hardware failure with a local disk, I decided I needed something more resilient for the somewhat critical applications, but they are not critical enough that I need to go off ordering an HBA for a fiber channel connection to the SAN. I used NFS because it is quick and dirty to setup, moved all the applications to run/store/collect there in case of another failure, I just have the sysadmin team re-image the server, and I re-mount the NFS share and I am off and running again. Minimal downtime.

Then comes the IA requirement for the configuration backups to be stored encrypted.

It is my understanding that it isn't possible with NFS since the underlying filesystem on the NFS server is irrelevant, because I am just using NFS protocol to read/write, the filesystem is handled/controlled by the NFS server. RHEL/LUKS all require formatting the mount point as ext3/4.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

routenull0 posted:

Honest answer: I don't know what those are, but I'll gladly look into it. I'm just a Network Engineer with some *nix experience.

The server is just a management server running things CACTI, IP allocation programs, configuration management and change control, etc. After a hardware failure with a local disk, I decided I needed something more resilient for the somewhat critical applications, but they are not critical enough that I need to go off ordering an HBA for a fiber channel connection to the SAN. I used NFS because it is quick and dirty to setup, moved all the applications to run/store/collect there in case of another failure, I just have the sysadmin team re-image the server, and I re-mount the NFS share and I am off and running again. Minimal downtime.

Then comes the IA requirement for the configuration backups to be stored encrypted.

It is my understanding that it isn't possible with NFS since the underlying filesystem on the NFS server is irrelevant, because I am just using NFS protocol to read/write, the filesystem is handled/controlled by the NFS server. RHEL/LUKS all require formatting the mount point as ext3/4.

If I were you, I'd either:

Set up DRBD and skip NFS entirely.

Or:

Cronjob to rsync gpg-zipped configs onto the NFS server. Pull them off for recovery on the backup if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'm looking for alternatives to Compellent. With controller upgrades, capacity expansion, and the support renewal at the 3-year mark, we're going to send $150k to Dell this year. Lots of things have happened in the storage space over the last 3 years, and I'm not necessarily happy with sinking that kind of money into buying more 2TB/450GB hard drives for a 3 year old system.

For an entirely virtualized dataset using a 10g network, what stuff should I be looking at that might be competitive price-wise? Nimble? Tintri?