Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bradzor
Mar 18, 2007
Fwhaa?

kedo posted:

Put a unique string of characters in a comment on each template file, then view source.

There may be some more WordPressey way to do it, but :effort:

e: Also assuming the site is constructed in a logical manner, you should be able to narrow it down beforehand so you only have do that on a few files.

e2: Googled

code:
global $wp_query;

$template_name = get_post_meta( $wp_query->post->ID, '_wp_page_template', true );
apparently works.

Debug and the plugins that add to it are the best way to go. Will give you ALL THE INFOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a lovely poster posted:

Is there an easy way to figure out which template files are being used for a particular page being viewed?

This ought to eliminate the guesswork
http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy#Visual_Overview

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm pretty terrible with Wordpress, so that'll explain why I can't for the life of me fix this problem.

At some point without me noticing, titles stopped appearing on event listings using the Event Organiser plugin on my site: http://laughni.com/wp/events/event/ed-byrne-roaring-forties/ <- Usually there'd be a big title above the event info/map.

In "single-event.php" in the plugin, the following code is in there as per normal for displaying the title:
code:
			<header class="entry-header">

<!-- Display event title -->
				<h1 class="entry-title"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>

</header><!-- .entry-header -->
Am I doing something very stupid?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone aware of a plugin that modifies search results to display the specific piece of content in a page/post which contains the query in the results? Here's an example of what I'm looking for (amusing text provided by the client):

quote:

(search query is for "good", italics = highlighted text)

Democrats are the best.
"...for a party that believes in good government, there's no..."
"...without economic fairness, what good is personal freedom..."

Republicans are the worst.
"...leaders are up to no good. Their policies favor the..."
"...means the greatest good for the greatest number..."

By default WP just shows the excerpt for whatever post/page it finds, of course.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
I always see Relevanssi recommended as a plugin as WordPress' default search is pretty useless.

It looks like it has what you want too:

quote:

Create custom excerpts that show where the hit was made, with the search terms highlighted.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm pretty terrible with Wordpress, so that'll explain why I can't for the life of me fix this problem.

At some point without me noticing, titles stopped appearing on event listings using the Event Organiser plugin on my site: http://laughni.com/wp/events/event/ed-byrne-roaring-forties/ <- Usually there'd be a big title above the event info/map.

In "single-event.php" in the plugin, the following code is in there as per normal for displaying the title:
code:
			<header class="entry-header">

<!-- Display event title -->
				<h1 class="entry-title"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>

</header><!-- .entry-header -->
Am I doing something very stupid?
Hm, I just reset/updated the plugin and there's still no title, so it's definitely a theme issue.

edit: Never mind, fixed it!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 13, 2013

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
NM. Bad plugin.
:-(

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 14, 2013

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Heskie posted:

I always see Relevanssi recommended as a plugin as WordPress' default search is pretty useless.

It looks like it has what you want too:

Relevanssi is a great plugin and the extra features are well worth the money for a premium license.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Don't know if this has been discussed but I am currently trying to decide between Geotheme and Geoplaces for my website theme. I am going to be visiting multiple countries and cities documenting all the gym locations I can find and also different restaurants in these places. I've read multiple articles that have been equally in favor of both. Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with these themes.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

How does everyone integrate Flickr into their Wordpress blogs?

All the Flickr plugins I've tried seem to overly elaborate things which try to make ugly slideshows and stuff like that. Really what I'd like to do is be able to load my photos to Flickr, then be able to import selected pictures directly from my Flickr account into my Wordpress media library so I can use them in my posts. Can anyone recommend a plugin to do this?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Whats a good plugin to pull twitter feeds into custom post types (or just categories really) that uses twitter's v 1.1 API? I inherited a ton of sites using old plugins which all broke in the past couple weeks. It looks like a lot of sites are using Twitter News Feed which hasnt been updated in a couple years..

rugbert fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 17, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I'm working on something that will use WP as kind of a front page for a website. We'd like to have a forums attached to it as well, and we've decided upon Vanilla 2. I know V2 integrates pretty well with WP, but does it matter which one is installed first?

Also, suggestions for a gallery that will integrate well with both WP and Vanilla are appreciated.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've never used Vanilla, but I have used all other sorts of PHP based forum software for what you are describing. I would first see if there is a "bridge" plugin for Wordpress or Vanilla, which would make your life a whole lot simpler.

Outside of that, I usually install Wordpress first, then install my Forum software, and then modify the forum software to look at the Wordpress user tables in mySQL.

For a Gallery, I'm not sure. I'd probably just make a menu item for both Wordpress and Vanilla that points at the gallery, and use one of the thousands of Gallery plugins for Wordpress for the task, since Wordpress is pretty good at it.

Also, sweet username.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So is there not many good Google Calendar plugins for Wordpress? There is Stout which hasn't been updated in a couple years. I tried Google Calendar Events but I was getting jQuery errors (possible conflict with my stuff - i'll have to look into it). I could just dump a iFrame but that seems lazy. I was also using All in One Event Calendar which is awesome but doesn't have support for reading in existing Google Calendar feeds. And the client doesn't want to "support two setups".

EDIT: Ai1EC apparently can read a ICS feed and Google Maps has a link to one - that may work, time to experiment!

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 19, 2013

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So I am having some trouble and I am hoping someone can help, I recently moved my wordpress site I was building to a new url, on the new url, the images are not loading, the plugins all had to be reactivated with none of the old settings or anything. All the images are in the correct folders on the server, and all the folders got moved over just fine. Can anyone help? If it helps I thought I had changed my permalinks before moving but apparently I didn't. I have tried using the search and replace plugin on the new url but it didn't work.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flaggy posted:

So I am having some trouble and I am hoping someone can help, I recently moved my wordpress site I was building to a new url, on the new url, the images are not loading, the plugins all had to be reactivated with none of the old settings or anything. All the images are in the correct folders on the server, and all the folders got moved over just fine. Can anyone help? If it helps I thought I had changed my permalinks before moving but apparently I didn't. I have tried using the search and replace plugin on the new url but it didn't work.

Five bucks says they're still trying to request images from the old URL, unless you did a find + replace in your database and/or code (depending on where the images are declared).

For example, when you insert an image into a post by default WordPress inserts it with an absolute URL. So if you built the site on whatever.com, your images would all be whatever.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/whatever.jpg If you then moved the site to the new server and did not update all those links in the database, it'll still be trying to load images from the old server.

e: Also a link to the actual site in question would be helpful.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Five bucks says they're still trying to request images from the old URL, unless you did a find + replace in your database and/or code (depending on where the images are declared).

For example, when you insert an image into a post by default WordPress inserts it with an absolute URL. So if you built the site on whatever.com, your images would all be http://whatever.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/whatever.jpg If you then moved the site to the new server and did not update all those links in the database, it'll still be trying to load images from the old server.

e: Also a link to the actual site in question would be helpful.

How would I go about changing this, I tried doing the search/replace using a plugin and nothing changed.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flaggy posted:

How would I go about changing this, I tried doing the search/replace using a plugin and nothing changed.

Manually in WordPress if you hate yourself, or by exporting the database, opening it up in a text editor, doing a find and replace for whatever.com --> newwhatever.com and then re-uploading it.

You could probably also do it with via SSH with SQL commands, but I am terrible at those and have no idea how you'd accomplish it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Figured out it was the mysql database. Thanks for the PM's though.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 21, 2013

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
That Search and Replace plugin is really hit or miss. I've gotten it to work maybe once or twice and don't even bother anymore. As mentioned best to just do it through a SQL command or at the very least export the table, drop it, search and replace through your editor and insert it back into the DB. Good job figuring it out though.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One other question, everything looks great in Chrome and Firefox but for older browers, Internet Explorer especially is a pain in the rear end, is there a quick way around this.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flaggy posted:

One other question, everything looks great in Chrome and Firefox but for older browers, Internet Explorer especially is a pain in the rear end, is there a quick way around this.

Nope. There is no magical "fix this for Internet Explorer" button. You'll have to debug the CSS manually or have someone else do it for you.

However depending on what version of IE you're talking about and your target audience, you could potentially ignore it. We've been discussing this in the web design & development megathread recently, actually. Unless your audience is on abnormally crappy computers you can generally ignore IE 7 and lower.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 21, 2013

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am still getting some errors from people reporting its not working for them in IE. These are the errors I get when I go to validate the website. I am at a complete loss, it works fine in FF,Chrome but in IE just messes up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are you using a lot of Javascript? Those validation errors don't look too serious. What theme are you using? Are you using any other plugins?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Are you using a lot of Javascript? Those validation errors don't look too serious. What theme are you using? Are you using any other plugins?

Using 789 Theme by lpd-themes.
Plugins: Send to Kindle, Exclude Pages from Navigation, Fast Secure Contact, Floating Social, HTML5 Videos, Jetpack, LayerSlider WP (front page only), Nivo Slider (posts, pages) Page Links to.

I honestly have only had problems in IE.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Does anyone know of a method to post an article to multiple wordpress sites at once?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stealthgerbil posted:

Does anyone know of a method to post an article to multiple wordpress sites at once?

http://sixrevisions.com/wordpress/tools-manage-multiple-wordpress-sites-one-location/

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm trying to install a theme right now and it is taking forever. It is 9mb and I'm using a wireless connection. It's been "unpacking the package" for a good 30 minutes right now. It only took about 15 minutes to upload. Is there a problem or do I just need to wait some more?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GZA Genius posted:

I'm trying to install a theme right now and it is taking forever. It is 9mb and I'm using a wireless connection. It's been "unpacking the package" for a good 30 minutes right now. It only took about 15 minutes to upload. Is there a problem or do I just need to wait some more?

Probably stalled out or something. Are you on a wordpress.com account or a custom wordpress.org install?

If it's the latter, you're way, way better off uploading the theme via FTP and then activating it. If it's the former, might want to try again.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Flaggy posted:

Using 789 Theme by lpd-themes.
Plugins: Send to Kindle, Exclude Pages from Navigation, Fast Secure Contact, Floating Social, HTML5 Videos, Jetpack, LayerSlider WP (front page only), Nivo Slider (posts, pages) Page Links to.

I honestly have only had problems in IE.

Is any of the Javascript files using console.log()? That generally ruins everything in IE when not done properly. If you linked the site I could take a loot.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sent you a PM.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of porting Wordpress sites from one server to another, what's the best way to do that? I developed a site for someone on my own server and domain name, and now I need to port it over to theirs. I'm a little shaky on database stuff, what do I need to do? I tried doing the Wordpress export, but that seems to just export content, not installed plugins or anything.

Calyn
Sep 3, 2011
The codex has that topic covered pretty well: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress
Look under the section for "moving when the domain/URL changes" and use the script they link to. It will perform a search and replace on your Database on the new installation, so you can change all the absolute URLs from the old to the new domain.

So basically the process will be:
1. Backup the DB and import it on the new server.
2. Move your files to the new server.
3. Change your WP config to reflect the new address/blog url, also enter your new DB details.
4. Use the script to fix your URLs.

Also, why the gently caress does WP use absolute URLs? :iiam:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Calyn posted:

Also, why the gently caress does WP use absolute URLs? :iiam:

Probably so their SEO friendly URLs keep working with CSS and Javascript files.

Edit: Also, the list above is correct although it's easier if you replace the URLs in the database dump. That saves you writing SQL queries, navigating phpMyAdmin or using the script later on.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 2, 2013

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
If you're shaky about moving databases/files from one server to another you could just use the Duplicator plugin. It packs up everything in a nice a zip file for you and you just upload that and the installer file to your new directory. You'll have to setup a new database on the new server, fill out the credentials and it does the rest for you.

Personally I prefer doing it the old fashioned way posted above but there's another option for you too.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

This is the method I follow for moving sites, it seems to be much faster and more simple than the instructions posted on wordpress.org:

1) tar wp directory
2) create sql dump
3) open sql file in a text editor, find + replace olddomain.com -> newdomain.com (KEEP BACKUP OF ORIGINAL)
4) move wp files to new server, import modified sql

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
I'm trying to build a moderation system somewhat like SomethingAwful's. I'm starting by copy/pasting problem comments to a bbpress forum called "Moderation" where they can stay for transparency, historical value, and an explanation of why it was removed (we have pretty strong standards for posting comments along with an intense audience).

I'd like to figure out a way to automate this, as well as how to put people "on probation." Right now I copy/paste put the user account info into the "moderation" box in settings > discussion, but I can't set a time for when it should be removed so I have to remember to go back and do it myself. This is starting to get burdensome because we have several regular problem commenters.

Has anybody here ever tried to do either one of these things. Would you want to help me with it for cash monies? I can't seem to find any plugins that help, even premium ones.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

emoltra posted:

This is the method I follow for moving sites, it seems to be much faster and more simple than the instructions posted on wordpress.org:

1) tar wp directory
2) create sql dump
3) open sql file in a text editor, find + replace olddomain.com -> newdomain.com (KEEP BACKUP OF ORIGINAL)
4) move wp files to new server, import modified sql

This is how I do it and it has yet to fail me.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On a similar "How do I move this" question -

I've built a new theme/custom CSS design on a test WP location (e.g. https://www.test.mysite.com) and would like to move the whole thing to the live existing WP location (e.g.https://www.mysite.com) which already has content, etc. -- both locations are on the same server. I don't want to lose the content at the existing location.

Is there some easy method for making my live site look like the test one or is it just as straightforward to just copy all the CSS/edited php files and move them and the new media over manually?

(This is only for design/plugins/media, URL and domain are not changing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

On a similar "How do I move this" question -

I've built a new theme/custom CSS design on a test WP location (e.g. https://www.test.mysite.com) and would like to move the whole thing to the live existing WP location (e.g.https://www.mysite.com) which already has content, etc. -- both locations are on the same server. I don't want to lose the content at the existing location.

Is there some easy method for making my live site look like the test one or is it just as straightforward to just copy all the CSS/edited php files and move them and the new media over manually?

(This is only for design/plugins/media, URL and domain are not changing)

If you developed your theme correctly it should all be contained within a single folder in the /wp-content/themes/ directory on your test site. Download that folder, upload it to the same spot on the live site, then activate the theme.

That should be it, unless I've misunderstood your question. Moving a theme does not change the content on a site unless you're doing something really weird.