Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
No one should ever download Darth Mod for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No one should ever download Darth Mod for any reason.

I don't know, I think Darth Mod is a great instructional primer for aspiring modders. Admittedly in a 'Don't do design like this', sort of a way, but those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it and all that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Darth Mod is that mod that puts lightsabers and Darth Vader everywhere, right?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Darth Mod is that mod that puts lightsabers and Darth Vader everywhere, right?

Thankfully not on the unit models, but basically everywhere else.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Correctomundo! The designer is also a complete egomaniac who threw a major hissyfit when he wasn't invited to the modding summit. Nevermind the fact that he was more of a 'mod compiler' that just happened to add a relatively convenient launcher.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's really just the loading screens. The ingame graphics and UI don't get Star Wars'ed

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Chomp8645 posted:

It's really just the loading screens. The ingame graphics and UI don't get Star Wars'ed

It's extraordinarily ugly and really friggin obnoxious, is all.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I remember reading the steam description for it and thinking wow.... I don't want any of that.

Except the Bayonets, that mod is awesome.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Is there any other NTW mod besides DarthMod that lets you play as the single territory minor nations? I loved Total War XL for the first MTW and Stainless Steel from the second MTW because you could choose nations that realistically didn't have much of a chance at dominating the world.

I couldn't really get into Shogun but that seemed to have a nice selection of playable clans right out of the box that started with relatively nothing.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
He did change the advisor to Princess Leia for Empire at one point. It's just so aggravatingly pointless for what keeps getting trumpeted as a realism mod series.

Also, Mazz, I'm pretty sure I've seen a separate bayonet mod on Steam. No Darthmod required.

Quick edit for Victor: LME 4.1 is out and pretty good. Though if you're like I am, then you'll probably want to do something about their odd music choices.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Space Wizard posted:

Quick edit for Victor: LME 4.1 is out and pretty good. Though if you're like I am, then you'll probably want to do something about their odd music choices.

Wow, yep- that looks amazing. I would ditch DarthMod for this one for sure.

And as long as I'm asking questions- Are there any super-spergy Real Recruitment and/or logistical nightmare mods for Napoleon? I think the base game already has attrition and allows for rapid recruitment of Militia, but I bet someone's created something like Stainless Steel's Real Recruitment and Grim Reality submods.

Napoleon Empire Realism adjusts recruitment but it also sounds like the nature of units has been changed dramatically and pacing of battles has been sped up.

Empire in Conflict looks like it's the heir to the sperg-throne. Manpower and supply, recruitment restrictions, battle pacing slowed down.. I might try this one instead.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What was wrong with the interviewerDarth Mod? Seemed like a nice enough guymod to me...

I've wondered why no one ever mentions Darth here. Silly me for thinking it was just because it felt like a trainer.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DiHK posted:

What was wrong with the interviewerDarth Mod? Seemed like a nice enough guymod to me...

I've wondered why no one ever mentions Darth here. Silly me for thinking it was just because it felt like a trainer.

It was a fun mod to play with, but just a tad silly with all the star wars junk he sticks in the loading screens and menus. Also apparently he's a little bit crazy on the forums.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Question about an achievement in Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai. The "One Hundred Sacks of Rice" achievement asks for a Nagaoka player to research an "eighth tier technology" (nevermind the game only has four tiers of modernization, but it must've been a misprint). I researched Western Agenda, a final tier tech, but didn't pop the achievement. Do I need to beat the campaign to unlock it?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Olive Branch posted:

Question about an achievement in Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai. The "One Hundred Sacks of Rice" achievement asks for a Nagaoka player to research an "eighth tier technology" (nevermind the game only has four tiers of modernization, but it must've been a misprint). I researched Western Agenda, a final tier tech, but didn't pop the achievement. Do I need to beat the campaign to unlock it?

That's a seventh tier technology (Each level of modernisation has two tiers of technology, each row is a tier).

The technologies that qualify are Gold Standard, Charter Oath, Kokutai in Civil and Advanced Armour Piercing Shell, Militarised Society, Suppression Fire in Military.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

shalcar posted:

That's a seventh tier technology (Each level of modernisation has two tiers of technology, each row is a tier).

The technologies that qualify are Gold Standard, Charter Oath, Kokutai in Civil and Advanced Armour Piercing Shell, Militarised Society, Suppression Fire in Military.
Well, that explains that. Thanks, Shalcar!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Lord Tywin posted:

But how will a modded Asterix unit work if the Romans aren't flying high enough :colbert:?

You know, this needs to be a day one mod.

Edit: Hell, if it's cheap enough I might buy a DLC for it.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Hoooooly poo poo, could you imagine the rage that Asterix units would generate on TWC? I say we petition Creative Assembly for menhir flinging Gauls right now. RIGHT. NOW.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The skybox is falling!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Space Wizard posted:

Hoooooly poo poo, could you imagine the rage that Asterix units would generate on TWC? I say we petition Creative Assembly for menhir flinging Gauls right now. RIGHT. NOW.

Who cares about the rage, I genuinely wanna play it!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Honestly, anything that makes the TWC community angry must be a worthy edition to the game.

Also, I agree about DarthMod being completely ridiculous. I honestly don't know where people get off calling it a "realism" mod. From what I've experienced it just clutters up your recruitment panels with eleventy billion named regiments with the same stats that you can only recruit one of, makes the unit sizes a lot bigger, removes bullet trails and changes some sounds. And all with those forever charming pixelated JPEGs of Darth Vader plastered all over the loading screens.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Endman posted:

removes bullet trails

One good thing about Darth Mod is that it at least gives you the option. Most mods in the later games just switch it off and if you don't like it you can gently caress off because my immersion. Radious isn't too bad since it's pretty easy to re-enable it but gently caress all the other modders who remove it and don't give you an easy method of putting it back in.

A lot of Rome and Medieval modders had the same thing with banners. They'd remove them, robbing you of a valuable tool to let you see what the gently caress is going on, then cite realism and immersion as reasons why you're a horrible person for wanting them back.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Space Wizard posted:

Also, Mazz, I'm pretty sure I've seen a separate bayonet mod on Steam.
Yep, its the same file Darths is just standalone. I took that one and actually added in the Bayonets for Spencers he didnt add (Tosa Riflemen), and reverted all the named infantry to Katanas since it seemed more interesting that way.

I also might've made Tosa Riflemen a bit too good in retrospect, with full vet training they were a little over the top at 150 strength.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 14, 2013

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

MadJackMcJack posted:

One good thing about Darth Mod is that it at least gives you the option.

I really wish the developer had concentrated on just compiling mods and packaging them with a launcher that let you pick and choose, because that is honestly the best feature of Darthmod. Instead he couldn't put his internet ego aside for one second, proclaiming Darthmod to be the one true mod to rule them all and himself as the Jesus of Total War modding.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Space Wizard posted:

If you don't own Napoleon, now's the time to give it a whirl! Since we're on the topic of Napoleon; have any of you installed LME? I'm kinda liking it so far, but whoever chose to edit in their own music is clearly smoking crack. As grognardy and TWC as it sounds of me, I don't want to hear the music from Gladiator when I'm sieging Istanbul with my blobs of Russian peasantry. Any ideas on how to revert to the standard music selection? :smith:

As far as Rome II goes, no announcement is complete without staring into the abyss:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?604488-E3-Video-Interview-Comments

At this point 'Prometheus' is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

The thread has now become centered primarily on why there are black characters in the game (based on a tanned looking legionnaire in a lower quality stream) and how much this inclusion is an "abomination". I love TWC so much.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Midnightghoul posted:

The thread has now become centered primarily on why there are black characters in the game (based on a tanned looking legionnaire in a lower quality stream) and how much this inclusion is an "abomination". I love TWC so much.

I love how they're decrying the ballista-catapult is completely OP because it blows a unit all over the place while completely missing the fact that almost all of the troops knocked down get back up and run back into formation a few seconds later. Y'know, just like in all of the other Total War games. Hell, what made Fall's cannons so powerful is that everyone who got knocked down was killed, rather then just some of them.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, they have a white nationalist on the twc forums. Hahahahaha

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Midnightghoul posted:

I loving love clicking on TWC threads because when you think goons are just overexaggerating about how ridiculous they can get they go ahead and prove it in the first 3 lines of a post.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It didn't really look like moon physics in the video when the chariots were hucking dudes into the air. I mean, they were charging downhill, you'd expect some airtime :shrug:

I worked at a department store in college. There was a guy named Dave who worked at the loading dock who had worked there for 20 years, and was always whining about how his manager/store manager/CEO/the board were a bunch of idiots, and that he should really be in charge because he knows how it really works. He was eventually fired for perving on female shoppers and employees using the security cameras.

What I'm getting at is that the most vocal users of TWC remind me of Dave. They legitimately think that their terrible design and balance ideas should be running the show because they've poopsocked 4,000 hours in TW games over 10 years. At least their mod community doesn't attract the legit disturbing stuff that games like Skyrim do.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Midnightghoul posted:

Consider that the inclusion of slavery as a mechanic in Rome 2 may in fact bring out (and continue to bring out) a very fascinating set of opinions and viewpoints on the various corners of the internet.

I hope co-op makes it into release at Rome 2, they have a nasty habit of patching that one in (or fixing it) a month or two later. The way Shogun 2 implemented it was what I had been basically looking for out of strategy games for a very long time, and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. It reminded me of Warlords 2 playing hotseat back in the day :3: Storm giants rocked.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Rakthar posted:

I hope co-op makes it into release at Rome 2, they have a nasty habit of patching that one in (or fixing it) a month or two later. The way Shogun 2 implemented it was what I had been basically looking for out of strategy games for a very long time, and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. It reminded me of Warlords 2 playing hotseat back in the day :3: Storm giants rocked.

I just want them to give us more stuff to do while the other person is taking their turn; reading the encyclopedia only works for so long.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Rakthar posted:

Consider that the inclusion of slavery as a mechanic in Rome 2 may in fact bring out (and continue to bring out) a very fascinating set of opinions and viewpoints on the various corners of the internet.

Slavery was in Rome 1 iirc. Although I usually put populations to the sword crucified the people of a city I conquered.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Ice Fist posted:

Slavery was in Rome 1 iirc. Although I usually put populations to the sword crucified the people of a city I conquered.

Was it very detailed? I think I remember something about being able to enslave the population, but I thought all that did was to spread out populations from the enslaved city out to every other one you had. From what I recall hearing I THINK Rome 2 is supposed to be more detailed than that.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Koramei posted:

I just want them to give us more stuff to do while the other person is taking their turn; reading the encyclopedia only works for so long.

Same, I never got into shogun 2 coop much for this reason. Especially if you want to do gently caress all but advance a handful of turns while you wait for things to build.

Tomn posted:

Was it very detailed? I think I remember something about being able to enslave the population, but I thought all that did was to spread out populations from the enslaved city out to every other one you had. From what I recall hearing I THINK Rome 2 is supposed to be more detailed than that.

Well that was basically all it was.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It was mainly a way to get a population boost to small border provinces that you wanted to grow.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

It was mainly a way to get a population boost to small border provinces that you wanted to grow.

That's why you mass recruit peasants and just disband them in your smaller settlements. The real pain in the rear end was having to abandon and re-sack Carthage every couple of decades.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
So I haven't played Shogun 2 yet. I've dabbled a bit in previous TW games, but not a whole lot since Rome. That said, which campaign do I want to start out on? Just plain Shogun 2? Fall of the Samurai? or is Rise of the Samurai worth buying?

knob fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 14, 2013

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Shogun 2 is where I would start and move on to Fall from there. Rise is completely optional IMO, it's fun but I like the other two better.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

knob posted:

So I haven't played Shogun 2 yet. I've dabbled a bit in previous TW games, but not a whole lot since Rome. That said, which campaign do I want to start out on? Just plain Shogun 2? Fall of the Samurai? or is Rise of the Samurai worth buying?

Rise and Fall are a tighter experience than vanilla, but the latter is just great for a relavitely unexperienced player. Play vanilla, then play the other two if you like their time periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Tomn posted:

When you enslaved a population in Rome 1, it spread it out over the other cities and gave a small population boost, but it also gave a happiness boost that would run for a certain duration in those cities. If you did it everywhere you conquered, it would add up to a relatively useful amount.

Another population trick was building armies of peasants in one large town, moving them to another town, and then disbanding them all. The population would increase there by number of troops disbanded.