Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Biggest human being Ever posted:

For a non tech-savvy person who wants a tablet with a 9+ inch display for some basic internet surfing and ebooks, I should just tell them to get an ipad, right? Are there any android tablets worth considering for someone like that? A Nexus 10 maybe?

Nook HD+ is an amazing deal for $149 and has Google Play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah definitely at least check out the nook HD+. It's a great deal.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone have any suggestions for a 7" tablet with somewhat decent rear facing camera, GPS and bluetooth? Preferably under a 100 bucks but up to 150. I plan on using it for a dash cam/gps unit/media player for the car. Unfortunately the nexus 7 won't qualify because it doesn't doesn't have a rear facing camera.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

EugeneJ posted:

Nook HD+ is an amazing deal for $149 and has Google Play

This wouldn't be something for unadvanced users, but the Nook HD+ can also apparently run natively CM10.1 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOtjAPST0ks

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Don Lapre posted:

Except the sero7 pro is $150 and tegra 3 already, with a rear camera and SD slot.

How good is the Sero 7 Pro? I've never heard of that manufacturer before and I can't help but feel a little nervous that it's only available through Wal-Mart.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Taerkar posted:

How good is the Sero 7 Pro? I've never heard of that manufacturer before and I can't help but feel a little nervous that it's only available through Wal-Mart.

Well I have the Sero 7 Pro. It seems pretty solid. I have read that some people are having some issues with 64 GB micro sd cards, but other than that, I have literally 0 complaints. I hooked up my 360 controller with no issues and was able to play some emulator games. Reading books is pretty good. Literally the only thing I don't like about it, is the fact that there is a dedicated button for screen shots on the the bottom status bar, that I've accidentally hit at least 10 times.

It's already been rooted. Waiting for some decent roms to come out for it.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

TLG James posted:

Well I have the Sero 7 Pro. It seems pretty solid. I have read that some people are having some issues with 64 GB micro sd cards, but other than that, I have literally 0 complaints. I hooked up my 360 controller with no issues and was able to play some emulator games. Reading books is pretty good. Literally the only thing I don't like about it, is the fact that there is a dedicated button for screen shots on the the bottom status bar, that I've accidentally hit at least 10 times.

It's already been rooted. Waiting for some decent roms to come out for it.

does it have gps?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

lostleaf posted:

does it have gps?

Looks like it. Haven't really used it but it looks pretty normal, with a built in compass too.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've got a dead netbook I want to replace and I'm considering the Sero 7 Pro now. But I've heard that there's a new set of options coming out in a month or two and that's delaying me.

Of course this is a rapidly advancing field so "Waiting for the new stuff" might never end.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Is there anyway to attach a camera to a Nook HD+ for Skype? Lack of a camera is the only thing stopping me from getting one.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Taerkar posted:

I've got a dead netbook I want to replace and I'm considering the Sero 7 Pro now. But I've heard that there's a new set of options coming out in a month or two and that's delaying me.

Of course this is a rapidly advancing field so "Waiting for the new stuff" might never end.
I think that depends on how much you're constrained by cost. I don't think you'll see much better than the Nexus 7/Sero 7 Pro at the $150-200 price point for a while, but I do think you'll see a lot of much better tablets than the Nexus 7 pretty soon around $300-400, so I'd definitely wait if I were considering spending $300 or more on a tablet.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

TLG James posted:

Looks like it. Haven't really used it but it looks pretty normal, with a built in compass too.

cool thanks. it's looking to be on the top of the list.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

waffle posted:

I think that depends on how much you're constrained by cost. I don't think you'll see much better than the Nexus 7/Sero 7 Pro at the $150-200 price point for a while, but I do think you'll see a lot of much better tablets than the Nexus 7 pretty soon around $300-400, so I'd definitely wait if I were considering spending $300 or more on a tablet.

The ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 is supposed to be coming out next month and that looks like it might be better than the Sero 7 Pro at the same price point.

Apparently it will have 4.2 according to This Article

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Taerkar posted:

The ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 is supposed to be coming out next month and that looks like it might be better than the Sero 7 Pro at the same price point.

Apparently it will have 4.2 according to This Article

It has a Mediatek SoC though. I'm still not sure what goons think of Mediatek compared to like Allwinner. Are they in the same boat?

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Wanted to bounce this off of the tons of people here - Anyone know a way to unlock a Prestigio (overseas company somewhere?) tablet without knowing the password? Woman's husband was Navy, and passed away last year; she doesn't want to lose any pictures/audio or whatever he had in there. The only solution I found googling was to do a firmware update but that will erase everything. From what I can tell it's an android tablet, and I suggested she try guessing his google password to log into gmail but that's about the best I have so far.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just got a new job doing QA for a wed development company. They gave me a tablet to test mobile versions of sites, and I can even take it home and use it for personal use! Cool, right?

Acer A500. Running 3.1. :suicide:

It could be worse, I could be the intern who got stuck with some ancient LG phone running 2.2. :laugh:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Coffee Wolf posted:

Wanted to bounce this off of the tons of people here - Anyone know a way to unlock a Prestigio (overseas company somewhere?) tablet without knowing the password? Woman's husband was Navy, and passed away last year; she doesn't want to lose any pictures/audio or whatever he had in there. The only solution I found googling was to do a firmware update but that will erase everything. From what I can tell it's an android tablet, and I suggested she try guessing his google password to log into gmail but that's about the best I have so far.

Is it encrypted? Micro sd? You should be able to just plug it in, and if it doesn't come up, you could probably use adb.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TLG James posted:

Is it encrypted? Micro sd? You should be able to just plug it in, and if it doesn't come up, you could probably use adb.
ADB shouldn't work unless it's in debug mode. You're right about the SD card, though.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

TLG James posted:

Password protected. Dealing with this lady in a local facebook group and don't have it in my hands, but I'll ask about the microSD. Over my head a bit, but I believe by adb you are talking about Android Debug Bridge? If so, what I looked up just now would give a good chance. Just plug in to the computer and follow directions at this location? Before I tell her to go poke around and wreck poo poo, can you just browse like you would with explorer, or do you need to know the file folder names?

vvv Thanks vvv

Coffee Wolf fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 13, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Coffee Wolf posted:

Over my head a bit, but I believe by adb you are talking about Android Debug Bridge? If so, what I looked up just now would give a good chance. Just plug in to the computer and follow directions at this location?
As was mentioned, ADB won't work unless USB Debugging is enabled in settings, which it probably isn't.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just got a new job doing QA for a wed development company. They gave me a tablet to test mobile versions of sites, and I can even take it home and use it for personal use! Cool, right?

Acer A500. Running 3.1. :suicide:

No doubt the thing is out-of-date compared to 2013 hardware, but I'm pretty sure every big-brand tablet has been updated to at least 4.0 ICS for an operating system. Check for OS updates unless they're forcing you to use that version, nobody uses Honeycomb in real life anyway.

e: yeah, quick search says 4.0 ICS update came last spring. Probably never getting 4.1+, but ICS isn't horrible for basic use. https://www.google.com/search?q=ace...w=1920&bih=1079

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 14, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

swarthmeister posted:

No doubt the thing is out-of-date compared to 2013 hardware, but I'm pretty sure every big-brand tablet has been updated to at least 4.0 ICS for an operating system. Check for OS updates unless they're forcing you to use that version, nobody uses Honeycomb in real life anyway.

e: yeah, quick search says 4.0 ICS update came last spring. Probably never getting 4.1+, but ICS isn't horrible for basic use. https://www.google.com/search?q=ace...w=1920&bih=1079

Huh...I clicked on "search for updates" in settings, and it didn't find any. Guess I'll have to try and do it manually.

But man, this thing is heavy. Granted, I'm used to my N7, so ant 10" tablet will be heavier, but compared to the only other 10" tablet I'm familiar with, an iPad, it's noticeably heavier.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Tunga posted:

As was mentioned, ADB won't work unless USB Debugging is enabled in settings, which it probably isn't.

Would it work in recovery mode, or is ADB in recovery only a thing in the custom recovery images like Clockworkmod?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...I clicked on "search for updates" in settings, and it didn't find any. Guess I'll have to try and do it manually.

But man, this thing is heavy. Granted, I'm used to my N7, so ant 10" tablet will be heavier, but compared to the only other 10" tablet I'm familiar with, an iPad, it's noticeably heavier.

I had one for awhile. There's worse out there but nothing to call home about. It is pretty drat heavy though. I sold it to a friend a year ago and he still totes it around and says it runs like a top.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

New asus tablet with "nexus" in its name passed the FCC.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/14/unknown-asus-k009-tablet-clears-fcc/

S4 Pro quad, rear camera, and integrated LTE.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 14, 2013

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
god damnit i literally just bought a nexus 7 a week ago.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AppleCobbler posted:

god damnit i literally just bought a nexus 7 a week ago.
Pull a Jerkface. You have 15 days from date of delivery to do a return.

https://play.google.com/intl/en-US_us/about/device-terms.html

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Pull a Jerkface. You have 15 days from date of delivery to do a return.

https://play.google.com/intl/en-US_us/about/device-terms.html

Bought it from Staples because they had a $20 rebate + $20 gift card deal going on. :negative:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AppleCobbler posted:

Bought it from Staples because they had a $20 rebate + $20 gift card deal going on. :negative:

Staples also has a return policy.

Also how much faster is the s4 pro compared to the tegra 3.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Way faster

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/133460-qualcomms-quad-core-snapdragon-s4-eats-tegra-and-exynos-for-breakfast

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I can tell you that the difference between the responsiveness and smoothness between the HTC One and the Nexus 7 is night and day. I don't know if it's more of a function of available RAM, but the N7 starts to choke up if I switch between tasks too fast, especially data hungry ones like Facebook and Pulse. I was considering taking it back and getting a more current gen tab like the N10, but I couldn't really justify paying 500 for an eReader and on-the-couch surfing tablet. Plus I've got some android projects that I'm working on for school and they use N7's in class.

Is the N10 a good purchase?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AppleCobbler posted:

Is the N10 a good purchase?
Yes, but not if you're going to be taking it to class. The 10 is a lot nicer, but I'd want a 7" if I were going to be taking it places regularly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bluetooth SIG has a photo of the next nexus and claims a snapdragon600

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/EPL_Detail.cfm?ProductID=30096

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm looking at the Nook HD+ as a replacement for my fist gen iPad. Pretty much all I do with the iPad is read comics (cbz, cbr), PDFs and ebooks. Obviously the fact that B&N opened up the Play store to the device is a huge advantage, but how is the UI on the Nook HD+? I have read that it is laggy, but I've also read that it's fine - I'm not sure which to believe. Would I be better off rooting from an SD card to get better performance? I image that all I'd do different from the iPad is occasionally stream from Amazon Prime or play some Android games. Also, is the battery life comparable to the iPad 1 in any way, shape, or form?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm looking at the Nook HD+ as a replacement for my fist gen iPad. Pretty much all I do with the iPad is read comics (cbz, cbr), PDFs and ebooks. Obviously the fact that B&N opened up the Play store to the device is a huge advantage, but how is the UI on the Nook HD+? I have read that it is laggy, but I've also read that it's fine - I'm not sure which to believe. Would I be better off rooting from an SD card to get better performance? I image that all I'd do different from the iPad is occasionally stream from Amazon Prime or play some Android games. Also, is the battery life comparable to the iPad in any way, shape, or form?

You should buy an ipad or wait for the new nexus 7.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm looking at the Nook HD+ as a replacement for my fist gen iPad. Pretty much all I do with the iPad is read comics (cbz, cbr), PDFs and ebooks. Obviously the fact that B&N opened up the Play store to the device is a huge advantage, but how is the UI on the Nook HD+? I have read that it is laggy, but I've also read that it's fine - I'm not sure which to believe. Would I be better off rooting from an SD card to get better performance? I image that all I'd do different from the iPad is occasionally stream from Amazon Prime or play some Android games. Also, is the battery life comparable to the iPad in any way, shape, or form?

Since you'd have play store access, you can load any launcher you want from there if the stock Nook launcher sucks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Why so? What is the projected price on the Nexus 7? Also, I'm not a fan of reading anything on a 7" display...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Bluetooth SIG has a photo of the next nexus and claims a snapdragon600

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/EPL_Detail.cfm?ProductID=30096
What is the resolution? That's the most important part! Auuuuugggghhhhh! Better be 1920x1200.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What is the resolution? That's the most important part! Auuuuugggghhhhh! Better be 1920x1200.

The fcc report has a screen part number but no reference can be found online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Don Lapre posted:

The new nexus 7 and a Nook HD+/Ipad are different sizes. Besides that, you can get a Nook HD+ for $150 right now and all he wants to do is basic stuff. And the screen is very very good for what he wants to do.