Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How do you not immediately get salty at some of this poo poo? Just watch this first match because goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeS8nxGKF6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Doom. Always Doom.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Does anyone else have a bad problem with nerves? I do fine in casuals, sometimes even really well and can do some neat stuff, but when I play in tournament, it's like I've never played the game before. I sometimes get so nervous I can't tell how I'm holding the stick. It's really frustrating to consistently lose to people I'm perfectly capable of beating otherwise just because of my nerves, and I have no idea how to get over it. It's like a permanent 85% dock to my skill level in tournament.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's the sort of thing that only really gets better with experience. It's basically stage fright.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does anyone else have a bad problem with nerves? I do fine in casuals, sometimes even really well and can do some neat stuff, but when I play in tournament, it's like I've never played the game before. I sometimes get so nervous I can't tell how I'm holding the stick. It's really frustrating to consistently lose to people I'm perfectly capable of beating otherwise just because of my nerves, and I have no idea how to get over it. It's like a permanent 85% dock to my skill level in tournament.

If you drink, have a beer or two. If you do drugs, do your drug of choice. Its a cheap way out but whatever.

Or do what endorph said and just keep at it. Yipes put it best once with regards to playing top players, "we're humans too"

Anecdote time!

A friend of mine plays KBRs team and plays it day 1. He has great fundamentals though - he does so well in tournaments because he specifically tells us not to tell him who he's against. He does great considering he really doesn't care that much for the game. (Old school ST head if anything, knows way too much about MTG though)

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 17, 2013

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
That set was amazing, good poo poo Fooblat.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Is there anything better in life than haggar/hulk mirrors? (no)

Yes Man Kablam
Mar 18, 2010

That was the best Marvel I've seen in a really long time, not since Combo/Marlin's FT10 or whatever it was. I was getting hype whilst watching in bed at 3 a.m (UK).

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
What's the best way to get the 500,000 point trophy in Arcade mode?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Ugh I tried to watch the Kane/Fooblat set but Skisonic is so loving insufferable I quit after two games

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Ugh I tried to watch the Kane/Fooblat set but Skisonic is so loving insufferable I quit after two games

Mute it and watch it then, you're missing out on the best Marvel 3 set ever

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is Firebrand's swoop unblockable?

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is Firebrand's swoop unblockable?

He can hold the button to charge it up, then yes.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Boobs is Fun! posted:

He can hold the button to charge it up, then yes.

Thank you. I was playing online and this guy kept creaming my team because he would land a hit, snap, and do the unblockable with an assist. It was probably only the third firebrand I'd ever faced.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Chaotic Flame posted:

Thank you. I was playing online and this guy kept creaming my team because he would land a hit, snap, and do the unblockable with an assist. It was probably only the third firebrand I'd ever faced.

Unfortunately there's not necessarily much to "learn" from the experience. It's technically only escapable by characters with invincible aerial moves, Sentinel is usually the only character that has the meter and opportunity to escape.

The only thing you can do is make the combo harder on them by letting the assist hit you intentionally.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Hey Wesker players, how do you do that thing where you go back and forth across the screen shoulderblocking people into OTG gunshots like 3 or 4 times before launching and doing an air combo and all that? I see people doing it on streams all the time but I tried it tonight and can't figure it out.

I can do M, H, QCF+L, L, OTG gunshot, and then the training dummy flips out every time. Do I need to call an assist? It it just a tighter link due to hitstun? Help!

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can do M, H, QCF+L, L, OTG gunshot, and then the training dummy flips out every time. Do I need to call an assist? It it just a tighter link due to hitstun? Help!

It's a tighter link. With glasses Wesker can only do 1 OTG gunshot solo in a combo. Without he can do two. Any further OTG extensions will require an assist or x-factor popping.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Super Rad posted:

It's a tighter link. With glasses Wesker can only do 1 OTG gunshot solo in a combo. Without he can do two. Any further OTG extensions will require an assist or x-factor popping.

OK thanks. It's gotta be assists then because I know I've sen people do it at least 3 times before even launching. I'll play around with it and see what I can do. Also I was thinking it might be glasses but I try to never use Maximum Wesker unless it will kill.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Haven't played Wesker in a while but this is what I remember. The most common combo people do with or without glasses:
c. LMH QCF+L, L teleport, df+H, c. M s.H QCF+M, dash forward c.MHS, air combo, land df+H into team super

The combo I did without glasses (don't remember the damage but it's higher than the combo above):
c. LMH QCF+L, L teleport, df+H, c.H QCF+L, L teleport, c.H QCF+L, L teleport, df+H, c.HS, air combo

There's a ton of time to OTG after QCF+L, L teleport so you can work assists in to connect after df+H fairly easily.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

http://www.twitch.tv/dork_rex Have a tournament going on with some friends at the moment, plenty of good matches left to go. Watch some Marvel, y'all!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

iPodschun posted:

Haven't played Wesker in a while but this is what I remember. The most common combo people do with or without glasses:
c. LMH QCF+L, L teleport, df+H, c. M s.H QCF+M, dash forward c.MHS, air combo, land df+H into team super

The combo I did without glasses (don't remember the damage but it's higher than the combo above):
c. LMH QCF+L, L teleport, df+H, c.H QCF+L, L teleport, c.H QCF+L, L teleport, df+H, c.HS, air combo

There's a ton of time to OTG after QCF+L, L teleport so you can work assists in to connect after df+H fairly easily.

Thanks for these. I might just me missing a tighter link. I almost never have glasses off so I'll play around with different things and see what I can find. I have Doom Plasma Beam assist which is awesome for extending Wesker combos so maybe I just need to find the right place for it.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
It's definitely worth it to spend the bar to get your shades off. I don't know the exact numbers, but the damage and speed increase is significant and you can get some decent Oki off of Maximum Wesker.

Edit: according to This old article, the buff is 10% speed and 15% damage.

VigilantePrime fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 10, 2013

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

VigilantePrime posted:

It's definitely worth it to spend the bar to get your shades off. I don't know the exact numbers, but the damage and speed increase is significant and you can get some decent Oki off of Maximum Wesker.

Yeah it's somewhere along the lines of 10% each which is like most character's lvl 1 x-factor (minus the increased scaling minimum, thankfully).

Plasma beam isn't the best assist for Wesker extension since it pops the character even further up, making qcf.l and qcf.m hard or impossible to land, but you should still be able to get a raw launcher off of it so it's not the worst extender assist. Truthfully though you should be landing many of your combos (online at least) from well timed beam + teleport corssups, so keep in mind that you will often not have beam at your disposal mid combo (also keep in mind that beam scales damage like crazy meaning you'll be wanting a reset).

If you're using Wesker, I hope to god you're using his command throw (L variation is the only one that matters) - Wesker's command throw is basically his only tool that is keeping him "competitive" - otherwise his mixups are pretty bland (except of course for full screen maximum wesker which is always a wtf coin flip, thanks Obama).

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Dr. Snake Tits' Dr. Strange right now is making me want to pick up the character, and some huge names are there, even ChrisG for some reason. Definitely worth watching: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Chris G is in Cali to represent the PDP booth at E3.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

drat, ChrisG has the midscreen Magneto infinite down, never seen anyone else do it as well as him.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I find it funny that Megaman is a Smash character but not an MvC character right now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

I find it funny that Megaman is a Smash character but not an MvC character right now.

I was watching the Nintendo stream right as he was revealed, and it was both awesome and kinda sad since Megaman is a perfect fit for a Brawl game given his history with Nintendo consoles and handhelds, and yet the character hasn't been used by his own company in a good capacity for a long-rear end time. Even Dante and his bro managed to end up in U/MvC3 in their most famous incarnations while the DmC reboot was nearing release, and all Megaman got was X being used as a Zero skin.

vvv: Yeah, but would you classify that as being used in a good capacity, as funny as it was?

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 14, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
You forget Mega Mans most recent/amazing appearance

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gutcruncher posted:

You forget Mega Mans most recent/amazing appearance

That might have been acceptable if that game was actually worth investing time into.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Maybe just because he's actually a 3D model, but in that Smash reveal he looks like the Megaman from the terrible PC game more than any console games. Capcom is really trolling the poo poo out of everyone putting that version in Smash and bad box art version in SFxT, and leaving good old, classic Megaman out in the cold.

\/\/ - I was thinking more of the box, the sprite in the PC game looks terrible in a different way. I know it's pretty true to the original, it just looks more out of place to me than all the other characters in the game for some reason.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 14, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: /\/\/\ - He doesn't even look remotely like that in Smash...

wixard posted:

Maybe just because he's actually a 3D model, but in that Smash reveal he looks like the Megaman from the terrible PC game more than any console games. Capcom is really trolling the poo poo out of everyone putting that version in Smash and bad box art version in SFxT, and leaving good old, classic Megaman out in the cold.

That IS classic Megaman. He's designed directly off of his 8-bit sprite.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 14, 2013

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

wixard posted:

Yeah, if you've looked at any of the media for the new smash it's pretty clear that they modeled Megaman off his NES 8-bit sprite. If you just want to hate on capcom there are actual legit ways to do it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
He even animates like his old sprite. I loved it!

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I don't want to hate on Capcom or Smash, there's just something about seeing a blob of blue Megaman in 3D that makes me see that cover in my head. In-game I probably wouldn't notice it, but in the trailer they show him from an angle a lot. It probably has more to do with me actually owning that PC game as a kid, and seeing the cover for years as it sat on my bookshelf.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

http://www.twitch.tv/dork_rex

We're streaming again!

Here's the link for the bracket: http://challonge.com/SaltySundayHOS2

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have to ask, how is the Vita version of UMvC3? I already have the game proper on my 360 (with fight stick), but wouldn't mind having a good portable version to mess around with as well.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Rirse posted:

I have to ask, how is the Vita version of UMvC3? I already have the game proper on my 360 (with fight stick), but wouldn't mind having a good portable version to mess around with as well.

Its probably one of my most played games on it. I enjoyed it a lot; just don't expect online multiplayer to be good unless you have a buddy with a vita and UMvC3 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rirse posted:

Its very, very good. The Vita versions of UMvC3 and DOA 5 are fantastic ports.

• Locked thread