Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

I think the exciting part is that potentially, people can create new apps that use the camera - which is in effect like being able to have really good custom firmware to your normal camera.

I mean, compare some of the iPhone camera apps to the firmware on your DSLR or EVIL, it makes them look positively stone age.

No, it doesn’t. Sure, I can make my photos looks like they were taken with a potato in the 1970s and suffered water damage since, but there’s no app to enable manual controls or raw output.

At best you can get AE/AF lock, intervalometer functions, and TIFF output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
No one would ever bother writing apps for such a small market, leaving it all up to Samsung.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

No, it doesn’t. Sure, I can make my photos looks like they were taken with a potato in the 1970s and suffered water damage since, but there’s no app to enable manual controls or raw output.

At best you can get AE/AF lock, intervalometer functions, and TIFF output.

PO.TAT.O

I just see this as making a big belly flop. I don't see the audience for a $1300 camera + android that at best will take decent shots.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I wanna jailbreak that camera to make voip calls.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You know if the camera has full Tasker support I would buy it.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Samsung announced a 10 mm fisheye lens for their NX mount.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/11/samsung-introduces-10mm-f3-5-lens-for-nx-mirrorless-cameras

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Are there any meaningful differences between the half a dozen OM adapters for the the Fuji X mount available on amazon, other than price?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

As long as you don't mind having to wait for android to boot every time you want to take a photo or leaving it in standby until the OS inevitably crashes because it's used the entire device memory up with temp files it's probably ok.

Also, doesn't look like it has an eye sensor or an EVF/lcd button so hope you like taking pictures with your nose (this happens with my Panasonic G3).

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
SEL35F18 box only $35 plus shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOX-AND-PAPERWORK-ONLY-for-Sony-NEX-SEL35F18-35mm-F-1-8-Lens-/171059818526?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27d3f5b01e

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

That is a good deal for a box.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

accipter posted:

That is a good deal for a box.

It's not the box, it's the extras that make this a good deal.

quote:

Q: $45.00 for a box are you kidding me. Good luck
A: if you buy it i'll send you fecal matter with it. not kidding.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Helicity posted:

A: if you buy it i'll send you fecal matter with it. not kidding.

I'm confused, so it DOES come with a NEX lens after all?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Soooo... I just got a bunch of Amazon cash, and I'm looking to pick up a second camera (a replacement to my Canon G12 that I hardly use).

My gf has a Canon S95 (and the G12 is the same sensor), so I know I'd like something that's an upgrade sensor-wise. It's fine, but I'm just rarely excited about using it compared to my DSLR.

My main uses will be
-quick shots of people/landscapes when I've got a tele or other inappropriate lens on my DSLR
-indoor stuff (museums, restaurants etc)
-some macro if possible.
-easy panoramas
-some casual video use- definitely not a priority.
-I haven't printed anything bigger than 8x10 yet, but I'd like enough megapickles to be able to crop something a bit and still have it look nice if I print it.

Stuff I want: pop-up flash (for those rare times when I just gotta have it), small, PASM
stuff I might want: touch screen
stuff I won't need: long telephoto (ignore my earlier post asking about wildlife lenses for mirrorless).

I'm leaning towards a RX100 P&S, but I'm not really sure *how* much I'd be giving up in terms of IQ, AF speed, and wide angle capability compared to a small mirrorless.

I'm pretty overwhelmed by the options, but as alternatives to the RX100 I was looking at some of the smaller mirrorless like the Sony NEX 6 and the Panasonic GF6 (maybe Canon M if they've really fixed the AF). I'd probably start with a kit zoom, maybe add a wide-angle if the kit isn't wide enough, a fast pancake of some sort, and maybe a macro if I end up really carrying this around with me most of the time.

Thoughts? Should I start with the RX100 and see how I like it. How much of a gap is there between that and a m43 or aps-c with a non-zei$$ lens?

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I just got a Olympus EP3 for the (soon to be) wife since the price on those have been dropping like a stone since the EP5 announcement. It is a really fantastic camera. Probably the only downside are some of the questionable default settings for random fiddly menu things. Other than that, I seriously don't have a single complaint about that camera. It's a little beast.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Soooo... I just got a bunch of Amazon cash, and I'm looking to pick up a second camera (a replacement to my Canon G12 that I hardly use).

My gf has a Canon S95 (and the G12 is the same sensor), so I know I'd like something that's an upgrade sensor-wise. It's fine, but I'm just rarely excited about using it compared to my DSLR.

My main uses will be
-quick shots of people/landscapes when I've got a tele or other inappropriate lens on my DSLR
-indoor stuff (museums, restaurants etc)
-some macro if possible.
-easy panoramas
-some casual video use- definitely not a priority.
-I haven't printed anything bigger than 8x10 yet, but I'd like enough megapickles to be able to crop something a bit and still have it look nice if I print it.

Stuff I want: pop-up flash (for those rare times when I just gotta have it), small, PASM
stuff I might want: touch screen
stuff I won't need: long telephoto (ignore my earlier post asking about wildlife lenses for mirrorless).

I'm leaning towards a RX100 P&S, but I'm not really sure *how* much I'd be giving up in terms of IQ, AF speed, and wide angle capability compared to a small mirrorless.

I'm pretty overwhelmed by the options, but as alternatives to the RX100 I was looking at some of the smaller mirrorless like the Sony NEX 6 and the Panasonic GF6 (maybe Canon M if they've really fixed the AF). I'd probably start with a kit zoom, maybe add a wide-angle if the kit isn't wide enough, a fast pancake of some sort, and maybe a macro if I end up really carrying this around with me most of the time.

Thoughts? Should I start with the RX100 and see how I like it. How much of a gap is there between that and a m43 or aps-c with a non-zei$$ lens?

NEX doesn't have good wide angle option.

So X100s, Ricoh GR, Nikon Coolio A (I only mention it because the out-of-camera jpeg color palette is more friendly) and the obligatory E-PM3 "rangefinder mod"

The RX100 only has slightly better IQ than your G12. You might as well stick with the G12. Plus this is not a P&S thread so there.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 18, 2013

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
XE1 arrived after dark, of course.

Using my good, left eye with the EVF is of course causing me to smudge the rear screen with my nose. I knew this would happen. Left handed/eyed people getting hosed again!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kaluza-Klein posted:

XE1 arrived after dark, of course.

Using my good, left eye with the EVF is of course causing me to smudge the rear screen with my nose. I knew this would happen. Left handed/eyed people getting hosed again!

You sure? You shouldn't need glasses to see the EVF.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I actually switched from shooting with my right eye to my left eye when holding the camera horizontally so that it would be easier to shoot with both eyes open.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I'm not sure I understand. The diopter adjustment it's no match for my lovely vision. Even with correction, my right eye just sucks.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Nose Grease aint no big deal.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Musket posted:

Nose Grease aint no big deal.

Yeah, seriously. I'm right eye dominant and I get smears on the back of my new X-Pro 1 all the time. A quick wipe with a microfiber cloth and they're gone.

In other news, I finally lost that square rubber lenscap that "attaches" to the 35/1.4 lens hood. Took about 10 days. I'd lost it at least 3 other times already, but was able to retrace my steps and find it. Not this morning, unfortunately. :(

Loving this camera, though. Once you get used to the annoying little quirks in its operation, it's freaking amazing. And it's nice to finally have a camera I can stand carrying around with me places (fully-loaded D800 was a bit much to take to the bar, for example).

Some quick sample shots:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I tried out the X100 OVF and now I'm a bit confused on how the XPro1 OVF works. The crop you see in the hybrid viewfinder represents the FoV of the lens you have on the camera, but what happens when you run an adapted lens? Does the camera sense where it crops, or will you be forced to used the EVF? In this case, wouldn't the XE-1 be a lot more economical if you plan on using adapted lenses often?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The Xpro-1 OVF superimposes framelines onto the view to show you the lens coverage. If you use an adapted lens, you can tell the camera what the focal length is. The camera self adjusts for the crop factor and parallax distortion.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Anyone have hands on experience with the new PEN E-P5 yet?

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 19, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Holy poo poo guys the oly 60mm macro ownssssssssss

e. generic flower shot #wow #whoa

_6180262.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 19, 2013

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Anyone have hands on experience with the new PEN E-P5 yet?

I don't think it is released yet. I got to play with it for awhile during a demo at my local camera store and instantly pre-ordered it. It's one of those amazing pieces of machinery that reviews don't do justice. You have to feel it and use it to realize how awesome it is.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

mattdev posted:

I don't think it is released yet. I got to play with it for awhile during a demo at my local camera store and instantly pre-ordered it. It's one of those amazing pieces of machinery that reviews don't do justice. You have to feel it and use it to realize how awesome it is.

I just wish I could get tethering on my OM-D. :(

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

Holy poo poo guys the oly 60mm macro ownssssssssss

e. generic flower shot #wow #whoa

_6180262.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Hahaha told ya! It's great even for non-macro shots too:

Swan by alkanphel, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

alkanphel posted:

That makes me want to go out and shoot some birds (with a camera). The textures and contrasting lines in that wing...

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

alkanphel posted:

[/url]

Very nice shot!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Yeah, I took it out for some landscapes and it was real nice for that too.

_6190321.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fuji is releasing Nex-5 series fighter X-M1 next week. No EVF, Tilt-LCD, wifi and probably no touch screen.

Also a cheap kit lens 16-50 3.5-5.6. Since its large I expect its better than Sony's.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 21, 2013

mes
Apr 28, 2006

^Apparently no aperture ring on the pancake and new zoom, I guess there would be a software update to allow you to change the settings with the rear dial.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
That looks pretty cool, and it's great for the X line to be expanding into that kind of price range (other than the x20) but dang, no aperture ring?
Depending on the cost of the new glass, in order to buy one of these with one of the Fuji prime lenses we will be pretty close to X-E1 territory.

I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a new EVIL camera for a while but haven't gotten the money together, however someone let me borrow their X100 and I quite like it. :D

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

whatever7 posted:

Fuji is releasing Nex-5 series fighter X-M1 next week. No EVF, Tilt-LCD, wifi and probably no touch screen.

Also a cheap kit lens 16-50 3.5-5.6. Since its large I expect its better than Sony's.

Additional images for the XM1: http://www.fujirumors.com/hot-first-images-of-the-new-fuji-x-m1/

Looks like a good entry level camera for the fuji mount. I hope it sells well. No aperture rings on the entery level 16-50 lens and the 27mm pancake. NBD though, Im used to that lack of a feature on a few Nikon lenses. The back wheel on the XM1 looks oddly placed compared to the XE1 and XPro.

Musket fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 21, 2013

Chocolate Cocaine
Dec 26, 2008

Juuuust poppin' in to let you m4/3 shooters know that I have a pretty baller f/.95 lens over in the sell thread just for you....

Chocolate Cocaine fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 21, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think you will use the back wheel to control the aperture for the new XF lens that have no aperture ring.

Not counting lens support, the X-M1 is still a better camera than NEX5R if you want hotshoe.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 21, 2013

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I think I am leaning towards Oly, either the new PEN or the OMD.
Too bad about the bundles for the OMD where I live though. The stores here only seem to bundle it with the kit zoom lenses, whereas the PEN E-P5 gets bundled with the 17mm 1.8 that I want.
To buy the OMD body on its own and the 17mm separately winds up to be the same price as the PEN bundle with that lens and the new VF-4.
E: I would even snag an E-P3 for the right price, but I can only find them sold with a kit zoom.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 21, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Would I be correct in saying that C-mount mechanically vignettes the image circle to less than APS-C? I tried a lens that I know has more coverage than C-mount (Makro Kilar 90/2.8) via a chain of adapters (Zoomar -> Arri Standard -> Cine), and I was still getting corner vignetting. I could get an Arri adapter if I cared but :effort:

I tried out a Raptar 75/1.9. Maybe I am focusing past infinity or something but I can't even get the lens to form a sharp image until f/22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Would I be correct in saying that C-mount mechanically vignettes the image circle to less than APS-C? I tried a lens that I know has more coverage than C-mount (Makro Kilar 90/2.8) via a chain of adapters (Zoomar -> Arri Standard -> Cine), and I was still getting corner vignetting. I could get an Arri adapter if I cared but :effort:

I tried out a Raptar 75/1.9. Maybe I am focusing past infinity or something but I can't even get the lens to form a sharp image until f/22.

It depends on the lens. C-mount lenses designed for 1/3" video sensors will have a tiny image circle (5mm), 1" sensor models will have a 17mm image circle. Either way aps-c is probably going to be too much.

Chocolate Cocaine posted:

Juuuust poppin' in to let you m4/3 shooters know that I have a pretty baller f/.95 lens over in the sell thread just for you....

What makes that better than a Voigtlander Nokton 25/0.95, which you can get in a native m4/3 mount for less than that?

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 21, 2013