Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, my third son is a strong genius with 27 in Martial skill. Is there any way to get rid of my first two sons, one of which is my heir, so I can play as him when my current ruler bites it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
^^Stab your way to victory.

CapnAndy posted:

Check the laws of each kingdom. They default to Gavelkind like Dauntasa said.

Yeah, thought of that. The problem is that with minimal crown authority in each kingdom, all of my formerly peaceful subjects decide that it's time to go kill their neighbors and steal their poo poo. The entire empire crashes into a series of wars and assassinations between various dukes and then my troop totals collapse and then "Y hallo there Sejuk Turks". That also has the nasty side-effect of preventing me from ever changing the succession laws because my dukes are always at war with each other.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Broken Cog posted:

So, my third son is a strong genius with 27 in Martial skill. Is there any way to get rid of my first two sons, one of which is my heir, so I can play as him when my current ruler bites it?

Give them Religious duties ( church barony), send them on a suicide mission, or simply plot to kill them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, thought of that. The problem is that with minimal crown authority in each kingdom, all of my formerly peaceful subjects decide that it's time to go kill their neighbors and steal their poo poo. The entire empire crashes into a series of wars and assassinations between various dukes and then my troop totals collapse and then "Y hallo there Sejuk Turks". That also has the nasty side-effect of preventing me from ever changing the succession laws because my dukes are always at war with each other.
Yeah, bump it to Low ASAP and wait for the next generation to make those greedy assholes stop stabbing each other (they never stop).

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Is there an update for Girl Power for the latest steam patch?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So what's the best way to manage my demesne when it gets too large? I like having direct control of all these duchies and counties, but at the same time I know it's draining my economy and pissing off all of my vassals. I would like to hold on to these duchies and keep them in a direct line of succession... so is that possible without everyone raging all the time?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gin_Rummy posted:

So what's the best way to manage my demesne when it gets too large? I like having direct control of all these duchies and counties
Holy poo poo, don't. Keep your demesne within your limit and hold no more than two duchies (unless you're only a Duke and you're saving up to create/usurp your first kingdom).

You can't run your whole realm personally. It's impossible. Get some vassals -- by all means hand the titles off to people of your dynasty, but you need vassals.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gin_Rummy posted:

So what's the best way to manage my demesne when it gets too large? I like having direct control of all these duchies and counties, but at the same time I know it's draining my economy and pissing off all of my vassals. I would like to hold on to these duchies and keep them in a direct line of succession... so is that possible without everyone raging all the time?

Buy EU4 when it comes out and play that. Or get vassals. Also parcel out 'spare' titles to your heir so that they fold back into your control when he inherits.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Holy poo poo, don't.

Good tip! Sorry if I sound retarded, I've only been playing like a week and I'm still learning all the nuances. v:shobon:v

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gin_Rummy posted:

Good tip! Sorry if I sound retarded, I've only been playing like a week and I'm still learning all the nuances. v:shobon:v

Managing a kingdom in CK2 is very political. Your power derives from blood and hereditary claims, excess sons are dangerous because they'll inherit strong claims they can pass on to their descendants. While your gut will tell you that you should put your own dynasty into every position of power, that's going to mess you up hard later in the game when a strong cousin decides he wants to press his claim.

The best way I've found to expand my dynasty safely is to place extra dynasty members with claims as counts. They'll still breed and eventually their claim will dillute and you'll have kinsmen with no claims you can install safely into duchies or kingdoms.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Buy EU4 when it comes out and play that. Or get vassals. Also parcel out 'spare' titles to your heir so that they fold back into your control when he inherits.
This is a bad idea in my experience. Sending your heir out of your court and giving him authority gives him the dangerous idea that it's okay to think for himself. Take your eye off the ball for half a second and the moron will marry some Ugly nobody with no alliance and have your grandson tutored by the stupidest motherfucker with all the worst traits he could find. Have fun playing as King Useless in two generations!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

This is a bad idea in my experience. Sending your heir out of your court and giving him authority gives him the dangerous idea that it's okay to think for himself. Take your eye off the ball for half a second and the moron will marry some Ugly nobody with no alliance and have your grandson tutored by the stupidest motherfucker with all the worst traits he could find. Have fun playing as King Useless in two generations!

I send them out often after they turn 16 and marry who I tell them to. When they inherit the extra prestige/gold from them being a duke for a while doesn't hurt.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Set their marriage yourself before offering them land, and you can still ask to educate your own grandson if he's out of your court, you just won't get a popup when he reaches 6 years old.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I send them out often after they turn 16 and marry who I tell them to. When they inherit the extra prestige/gold from them being a duke for a while doesn't hurt.
But then you have to keep checking on them to see when they have a kid and when he turns six, since the game won't throw a Child Needs Guardian alert at you. I'd rather just keep my direct line at court.

There's also the times when you want a better tutor than can be found at your court, which is the best way to pull out of a nosedive when it comes to lovely heirs. You need the kid at your court so you can offer him to others (who are incredibly grateful, by the way).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

But then you have to keep checking on them to see when they have a kid and when he turns six, since the game won't throw a Child Needs Guardian alert at you. I'd rather just keep my direct line at court.

You can figure out the date that they turn six and just keep a mental note.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

There's also the times when you want a better tutor than can be found at your court, which is the best way to pull out of a nosedive when it comes to lovely heirs. You need the kid at your court so you can offer him to others (who are incredibly grateful, by the way).

You can still offer for anyone in your court to educate them. There is no reason not to give your heir land aside from laziness.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

You should always betroth your heir to someone strong or attractive as soon as possible. And keep a regular eye on him and the grandkids, there's a characters of interest marker for that exact reason.

Your heir should also be making friends with people in the realm and he has to be a ruler to do that properly.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I was doing great in my recent Venice game from TOG start, until such a point when the Byzantine Empire decided to attack me, as I was (venice) de jure part of their empire :what:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Knuc If U Buck posted:

You can still offer for anyone in your court to educate them. There is no reason not to give your heir land aside from laziness.
I know, but I'm saying I've had instances where my court had lovely educators and I had to send my heir out to a vassal's court because they were employing the God-King of Diplomacy as a backwater Earl. Can't do that if the kid isn't at your court.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I know, but I'm saying I've had instances where my court had lovely educators and I had to send my heir out to a vassal's court because they were employing the God-King of Diplomacy as a backwater Earl. Can't do that if the kid isn't at your court.

You really wanna educate your heirs yourself after the first generation. Keep those good traits and stats in the main line.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Knuc If U Buck posted:

You really wanna educate your heirs yourself after the first generation. Keep those good traits and stats in the main line.
You can still end up lovely that way.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

This is why you give yourself multiple chances and then stab the poo poo out of selectively breed your children for good traits. And sending your fully-educated and married son out to hold some title removes some maluses from you (depending on succession law) and lets him pick up Prestige, which means people will like him more when he takes over from you. As long as you keep an eye on him or mark him as important you can make sure he's not going too far astray.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

:psyduck: You're more likely to end up lovely if you palm them off to someone else. The AI often lets you get bad event traits (those lovely trait options for your ward that you wonder why anyone would ever pick them. The AI picks them) no matter how awesome their skills look on paper.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think the advantages of having a loyal megaduke heir outweigh the risks, just always marry them before landing them, to someone with good stats who likes them (check character relations). And they will always accept an educate child offer if you are worried about the grandchildren.

Besides, even if your heir does gently caress everything up, desperately trying to keep the kingdom together as an inbred slothful moron can be a fun challenge.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

If you are running primogeniture though, there's a good chance you'll be in your late 40s when your grandkids comes of age, and in that situation it's your dumb AI heir making the marriage decisions for them, not you. And they'll inevitably choose bad wives for your grandsons, and non-matrilineal marriages for the grandaughters.

Admittedly I play CK2 in a very "gamey" fashion rather than a roleplaying one, but generally I have found that the most efficient way to run a kingdom is to use Cognatic Elective and pick the highest-diplomacy young woman with the attractive trait from your dynasty each time, as that confers a net +20 bonus (after the penalties for a female ruler and female heir) to your relations with your largely all-male vassals, and skipping generations to pick someone ages 16-20 means you generally get someone who is going to reign for about 50 years, maximising long reign bonuses and minimising the number of times per game you put up with the short reign modifier. The best way to get attractive women in your family is to keep your entire dynasty at court and ensure you always get marriages to people with the attractive trait, and always get matrilineal marriages for your daughters and grandaughters. Passing out land to heirs isn't condusive to that, your son is never going to decide he'd prefer to marry his daughter to Dave the Sexy Blacksmith at a -400 prestige penalty over the son of his good friend Duke Igor "The Ugly" of Hunchbackia, but I sure as hell will if I have control over my grandchildren's marriages.

I run my dynasties like the Anti-Habsburgs, and never granting a single member of my dynasty a plot of land is an obsessive desire to micromanage, not laziness.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zeroisanumber posted:

I had an organization question. I've started a game as the Byzantines, and I'm immediately given the option to create several kingdoms. If I do that, a number of them immediately become title loss on succession and almost all of them start with minimal crown authority. I haven't played the Byzantines before, is the idea to create the kingdoms and then immediately pass them off to a vassal to let them deal with the problem? Or do I just suck at CKII and there's something easy that I'm missing?

As the Byzantines it is almost never a good idea to create extra kingdoms. You have the "born in the purple" mechanic, meaning the first son born while you were emperor will inherit before your children born before you were emperor. But this is only for the empire title, it is easy to loose individual kingdoms over that. Also as somebody else said the Byzantine Emperor can revoke duchies for free. That is REALLY powerful. When some rear end in a top hat duke joins or leads a faction against you, revoke his duchy and give it to one of his former count vassals. The new duke will love you for getting a duchy from you while the former duke is now only a count, which reduces his power, and he is no longer your direct vassal, which means he can no longer join factions against you. If he refuses even better, beat him in war and chop off his balls. Also this makes managing mega-dukes much easier, since you can just revoke any extra duchies they have.

If you form the kingdoms and give them away you now no longer have direct control over the dukes, meaning no check against mega-dukes, and you have a potentially powerfulvassal who has a real chance to beat you in war. Kingdom revocations are not free.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
^^^ Using the Despot honorary title on your eldest son helps to bypass any born in the purple inheritance shenanigans.

CapnAndy posted:

I thiiiiiiiiink if you set your heir as an important person you'll get a notification if he pops out a babby.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reveilled posted:

If you are running primogeniture though, there's a good chance you'll be in your late 40s when your grandkids comes of age, and in that situation it's your dumb AI heir making the marriage decisions for them, not you. And they'll inevitably choose bad wives for your grandsons, and non-matrilineal marriages for the grandaughters.

Admittedly I play CK2 in a very "gamey" fashion rather than a roleplaying one, but generally I have found that the most efficient way to run a kingdom is to use Cognatic Elective and pick the highest-diplomacy young woman with the attractive trait from your dynasty each time, as that confers a net +20 bonus (after the penalties for a female ruler and female heir) to your relations with your largely all-male vassals, and skipping generations to pick someone ages 16-20 means you generally get someone who is going to reign for about 50 years, maximising long reign bonuses and minimising the number of times per game you put up with the short reign modifier. The best way to get attractive women in your family is to keep your entire dynasty at court and ensure you always get marriages to people with the attractive trait, and always get matrilineal marriages for your daughters and grandaughters. Passing out land to heirs isn't condusive to that, your son is never going to decide he'd prefer to marry his daughter to Dave the Sexy Blacksmith at a -400 prestige penalty over the son of his good friend Duke Igor "The Ugly" of Hunchbackia, but I sure as hell will if I have control over my grandchildren's marriages.

I run my dynasties like the Anti-Habsburgs, and never granting a single member of my dynasty a plot of land is an obsessive desire to micromanage, not laziness.

The AI doesn't marry off landless male heirs in my experience.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's probably worth bearing in mind that even if you forget about your heir's child for a couple of years and your heir has already sent the kid to be educated by the local dung gatherer, they will still accept an educate child offer from you. It's always better to educate your heirs and their heirs yourself than it is to send them to high stat courtiers, even if your stats aren't that great, since the AI will usually make terrible decisions in the education events and your kid will have terrible negative traits. Good traits make the game a lot easier than good stats, since everyone will hate you if you have more than a couple of negative traits.

jpmeyer posted:

I thiiiiiiiiink if you set your heir as an important person you'll get a notification if he pops out a babby.

Close dynasty members are important by default I'm pretty sure.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

marktheando posted:

Close dynasty members are important by default I'm pretty sure.
It's strange, but you don't get notification when they have kids if they aren't in your court. During the multiplayer game last night I figured out that my son lied about going to the Varangian guard when I was told he'd become Grand Vizier of Mali, but I was not told about the 3 kids he had with his black, lesbian wife.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

SeaTard posted:

They are an army that is always ready to go with the troop types you want. Once you get them to the several thousand range, you can fight a good percentage of your battles with them exclusively, and never have to raise levies. Plus, they should correspond to whatever culture-specific building you have, so you can get extra bonuses for them.

Whats a good mix for Ireland? Last king, I had about 1k in retinues, and it didnt seem worthwhile to get them, but now I can build 15k or so. Do I just let them sit during peace? Should I ever disband them?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LowellDND posted:

Whats a good mix for Ireland? Last king, I had about 1k in retinues, and it didnt seem worthwhile to get them, but now I can build 15k or so. Do I just let them sit during peace? Should I ever disband them?

They only cost money when they are refilling and when you rebuy them, so you should NEVER disband them.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

LowellDND posted:

No, retinues don't cost anything unless they're reinforcing and you'd have to buy them all over again if you disbanded them. Keep them on borders with aggressive neighbors or in provinces where you can get them on ships quickly.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

The AI doesn't marry off landless male heirs in my experience.

Really? You've never seen a landless male heir?
Here's one:

The AI definitely does marry off landless male heirs.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Really? You've never seen a landless male heir?
Here's one:

The AI definitely does marry off landless male heirs.

I've got a similar situation where all my heirs are in my wife's court and none of them are married.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I've got a similar situation where all my heirs are in my wife's court and none of them are married.

That's just as bad though, not getting married at all isn't any better than them getting married to the wrong people, the end result is the same, that they're not having daughters with a chance of getting the attractive trait.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Don't know if the battle-AI has gotten wiser but I've noticed they like to manoeuvre such that to actually engage them, instead of just chasing them forever, I'll have to suffer a crossing river penalty and fight on unsuitable terrain.

I like it :allears:

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

HenessyHero posted:

Don't know if the battle-AI has gotten wiser but I've noticed they like to manoeuvre such that to actually engage them, instead of just chasing them forever, I'll have to suffer a crossing river penalty and fight on unsuitable terrain.

I like it :allears:

On the other hand, I recently executed an invasion of Italy that encountered virtually no resistance. I was able to march freely up and down the peninsula, because the AI had Corsica on lockdown.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I wonder about this, what would happen of you revoked/banished every courtier except your immediate family? Absolutely 0 vassals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reveilled posted:

That's just as bad though, not getting married at all isn't any better than them getting married to the wrong people, the end result is the same, that they're not having daughters with a chance of getting the attractive trait.

I think I'm going to yield to autism here.

• Locked thread