Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I still can't hear it even with the volume fairly loud, so you haven't ruined Giorgio for me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

an skeleton posted:

This Daft Punk produced Kanye track seems pretty awesome imho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtGXW3kqdnM

That was the most terrible thing.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Feenix posted:

dont sign your posts

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feenix posted:

That track owns bones, what are you talking about Feenix?

Daft Punk + Yeezy is an unstoppable force

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That track owns bones, what are you talking about Feenix?

Daft Punk + Yeezy is an unstoppable force

Half the beat is ok. Idiot spewing gibberish is awful. I have declared it so.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feenix posted:

Half the beat is ok. Idiot spewing gibberish is awful. I have declared it so.

You're going to feel pretty silly when Yeezus drops and is one of the best albums of the year :smug:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

You're going to feel pretty silly when Yeezus drops and is one of the best albums of the year :smug:

I don't think I will. I may even go so far as to not even be aware that his album has dropped whenever that time comes...

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Feenix posted:

I don't think I will. I may even go so far as to not even be aware that his album has dropped whenever that time comes...

It's June 18th, next monday.

edit: set your alarm

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feenix posted:

It's only 6 days from now! And come on, Daft Punk had a hand in it!

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Here's another one prod. by DP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RDdsWm3uRU

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

How do you know this already? It wouldn't shock me if that was Daft Punk, but it kind of sounds like it could be the Skrillex one too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Here's something cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3BOZ6QQtU

I particularly like 1920 and 1930, even though 20 doesn't sound like any standard I've ever heard, and 1930 is like a fusion between manouche jazz and proto-swing.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Get Lucky stagnating at #3 in the US this week and apparently has surpassed a million downloads. In semi-relevancy, Pharrell has 2 songs in the top 5 right now. Go Pharrell.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1566519/robin-thickes-blurred-lines-hits-no-1-on-hot-100

edit: ^^^ that's awesome

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 12, 2013

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

-Inu- posted:

Get Lucky stagnating at #3 in the US this week and apparently has surpassed a million downloads. In semi-relevancy, Pharrell has 2 songs in the top 5 right now. Go Pharrell.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1566519/robin-thickes-blurred-lines-hits-no-1-on-hot-100

edit: ^^^ that's awesome

Oh, wow, I thought Blurred Lines might challenge for the top spot sooner or later, but it really zipped up fast (I like that song too actually, so I don't mind that). Unfortunately, I don't see Get Lucky reaching the top now. Its sales seem to be leveling out, and without any video, it'll be getting even less chart points. Oh, well, at least #2 looks like a strong possibility.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Why do you guys care?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Because I like to see other people enjoying music from some of my favorite artists? Crazy poo poo, I know. It's also notable because daft punk has never had this much mainstream success before.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Feenix posted:

I'm with you. I have ZERO interest in Kanye's next album.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Please elaborate

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, Kanye's work has never interested me. Only song I've liked where he has shown up, is "Dilated Peoples - This Way".
I prefer my hiphop older and without too much pop.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm still really enjoying Random Access Memories, but I'm even more glad that it prompted me to go back and buy Alive, which I had never heard. Holy poo poo, is it a fantastic album, the whole way through -- it must have been a hell of a show. (I also got the Tron soundtrack, which is pretty good, but only "Derezzed" really stands out as excellent.)

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

I am OK posted:

Why do you guys care?

Part of it is because I'm a pretty big music chart nerd in the first place, and part of it's like what -Inu- said in that it's cool seeing Daft Punk in particular do so well with the general public. It's not as if I'll be thinking lesser of the song if it doesn't top the charts, anyways.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It might be a bit of a selfish reason to be following the charts, but for me at least part of it is validation. Not validation that liking Daft Punk is 'right', the other way around; seeing the charts open up and accept one of my favorite artists makes me a little, tiny bit less ashamed of listening to top 40 radio.

Currently, popular music actually pretty well agrees with me. There's still a bit too much R&B (okay, pretty much just Rhianna), I think Mackelmore's music is awful, and Australia's Pink infatuation is flaring up again, but other than that I'm sitting quite pretty. American country has currently left the airwaves, reality TV products have gone quiet, electronic music's settling into a good groove, there's a lot of indie rock-pop coming out from Britain especially, and those two genres are meeting up with pleasant frequency. Then from the genres that aren't entirely my thing, you've still got good talent making good music and that's generally enjoyable even if you don't like the genre.

Even given all of that, it's still a little difficult to keep face while saying you listen to and enjoy top 40 radio, especially in Australia where I'm fairly sure it's treason to not listen to AC/DC or Jimmy Barnes on a regular basis. With Daft Punk holding a chart spot, though, it's a lot easier.

So yeah, selfish reasons, and I'm being petty and self-conscious, but there you go. Currently the charts are 'mine', Daft Punk is a symbol of that, and given how long I've had to suffer through them being music that isn't 'mine', I'm inclined to enjoy it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 14, 2013

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Ya'll worry and invest yourself in stuff that doesn't matter, in my opinion. This thread is full of people getting weirdly wound-up with t-shirts and sales figures and talking about how Daft Punk is introducing people to live instruments (what the hell?!). You turn the music on and your emotional response is the only thing that's important. I like the album but reading this thread is killing it for me. People treating it like some important project and getting weird about it. I don't get why Daft Punk have such a spergy following. And they've been ripping up the airwaves and dance floors since 1997.

Why do you care about saving face? Who gives a gently caress what some random yahoo thinks of your taste? What's this talk of 'suffering'? I don't get it at all.

And American country music loving rules.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

-Inu- posted:

Because I like to see other people enjoying music from some of my favorite artists? Crazy poo poo, I know. It's also notable because daft punk has never had this much mainstream success before.

One MoreTtime, Digital Love and Around the World were played pretty much 24/7 on the radio and music TV channels for like 3 years.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The TRON soundtrack isn't the most innovative thing in the world but it's still good and most def made that movie better.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I am OK posted:

Why do you care about saving face? Who gives a gently caress what some random yahoo thinks of your taste? What's this talk of 'suffering'? I don't get it at all.

And American country music loving rules.

I don't care for long, but it happens sometimes and it's a bit more bearable when I can point to something like Daft Punk. I can't really defend that, because I know I'm still being a bit petty, but that's how my brain's working with this.

And I have nothing really against American country music, it's just really not my thing. Also keep in mind that outside of America, Taylor Swift and her ilk is what constitutes our entire experience with American country music. When it turns up, I get scared, and when it plays, it hurts.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009
San Sisco did a thing a while ago, and it's the best version yet imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf8Tda6rmi4

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I am OK posted:

I like the album but reading this thread is killing it for me.
Sorry to ruin your day by discussing Daft Punk in the Daft Punk Discussion Thread.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My favorite part is we're the ones caring about stuff that doesn't matter, but the SA thread ruined the album for him.bu

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I just queued him up, let's stop talking about the bad poster.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Daedelus remixed "Doing it Right" with good results. Two of my favorite electronic musicians, coming together!

https://soundcloud.com/daedelus/doing-it-right-daedelus

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Even if you don't like Kanye, you should check out Yeezus. I'm listening to it now and the songs Daft Punk produced have some pretty absurd hip-hop production.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Which ones did DP do?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Colonel Whitey posted:

Which ones did DP do?

I thought they only did like 3, but according to Wiki they did like half the drat album!

On Sight
Black Skinhead
I Am A God
New Slaves
Send It Up

On Sight is the only track where they're the exclusive producers, on the rest of those they're co-producers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

On Sight is the only track where they're the exclusive producers, on the rest of those they're co-producers.

With Kanye I assume?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Intel&Sebastian posted:

With Kanye I assume?

Actually Kanye only produced 4 of the 10 tracks, and only one of those was with Daft Punk.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Even if you don't like Kanye, you should check out Yeezus. I'm listening to it now and the songs Daft Punk produced have some pretty absurd hip-hop production.

The whole goddamn album is amazing. Kanye is far and away the best thing in hip hop the past decade

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yep, not quite through it but this album owns. The tone and production is very progressive and dark.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I got the opportunity to take shrooms and listen to this album on really good headphones. It was a solid time, I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, I really like Beyond and Motherboard. I had the album on in the car just now and those came on and I was thinking "Why the gently caress do I listen to these the least?"

• Locked thread