Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

rookhunter posted:

Greetings everyone.
I am Rook and I am from TX.
I saw this site thanks to White Rabbit over at Q4T.
I have been working on this hunt for over a year and have made good progress.
I like the organization of this site which is not unlike the methods I used to solve some of the puzzles.

I am currently planning a Houston dig but am uncertain if I will get permission to dig.

I do really believe that there are two or three treasure locations already solved, there just needs some digging to be done.

Please let me know if you need any assistance or have any questions. :)

Which ones do you think are solved? Why?

Are you thinking Hermann Park or some other location on the Houston cask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Wilkommen Rookhunter.

If the dozy bonekickers at FOY had the first idea about this puzzle they'd have dug it up years ago. The best chance of recovering the casque is if it's not on their land, which is highly possible.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

Greetings everyone.
I am Rook and I am from TX.
I saw this site thanks to White Rabbit over at Q4T.
I have been working on this hunt for over a year and have made good progress.
I like the organization of this site which is not unlike the methods I used to solve some of the puzzles.

I am currently planning a Houston dig but am uncertain if I will get permission to dig.

I do really believe that there are two or three treasure locations already solved, there just needs some digging to be done.

Please let me know if you need any assistance or have any questions. :)
I have a question... how does one go about getting access to the Q4T forums? I registered, and then sent an email to the webmaster as BJG suggested, but nothing!

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

I had a note from the Q4T webmaster Mr Parry today that he reckoned he'd sorted out the registration process and it should be OK. So, I'd try again, and if it fails, send him another email via the contact link on the homepage. You might have to be a little patient; give it a few days.

BJG fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 14, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
When I go to the board it says that I'm banned and wont even let me register, so I'm not so sure.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

Bloke posted:

The place where jewels abound has a park called harlequin park.

That's actually a very nice find. The middle of the verse is confusing enough that it could take you to the nearby City Park, which has lots of places to bury treasure, and Fairgrounds ('namesakes are meeting') are nearby. So, I wouldn't give up on this interpretation yet.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013
It took me 6 months to get on that site. I guess patience is the key.

Roanoake is all but solved, people just dont want to dig on federal land.
(its under the bench)

There is much talk about where exactly in the Fountain of Youth Park the treasure was burried butit is here:
that picture was taken by the finder of the Cleveland treasure.

I take no redit for those, they were thought up before I joined.

Montreal is here:

but it's hard to prove since it's a country away.

Houston is my secret ;)

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

BJG posted:

Wilkommen Rookhunter.

If the dozy bonekickers at FOY had the first idea about this puzzle they'd have dug it up years ago. The best chance of recovering the casque is if it's not on their land, which is highly possible.

The clues are so extremely suggestive of the Fountain of Youth, and the neighboring land is all residential. The only nearby suitable park is the Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche. The Shrine is home to the tallest freestanding cross in the world, which could be the "tall tree", although there really aren't any great places to bury the cask.

(Part of the pregnancy prayer to Our Lady of La Leche reads "Accept the sacrifice of my aches and pains, which I unite to Your sufferings on the Cross", which seems to draw a comparison between giving birth and being crucified. Another reason I'm glad I'm not saddled with a womb.)

rookhunter posted:

Roanoake is all but solved, people just dont want to dig on federal land.
(its under the bench)

There is much talk about where exactly in the Fountain of Youth Park the treasure was burried butit is here:

Montreal is here:

Is there any evidence to back that up?

Very Nice Eraser fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 14, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Why would the Montreal one randomly be in a backyard or whatever that is, instead of in a park?

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

xie posted:

Why would the Montreal one randomly be in a backyard or whatever that is, instead of in a park?

Im sorry I should explain. That backyard is the parking to the former Mount Stephen Club.
The Long/Latitude led us to Montreal. The legeater lamp was found to match the one infront of that club. There are no others we could find. There are "X"s on the adjacent buildings that match the image. The slender path leads behind the club where "cars abound".
The whirring sound is the airconditioner unit you would only be able to hear in summer. The middle of the "V" refers to the thin plots of land used as planters surrounding the parking lot.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Is there any evidence to back that up?

There is evidence in Roanoake that leads the the spot where the bench is at. The shape of the trail is on the image, the wooden post/fence thing is also in the image. What it comes down to is how you interpret, "Under that which may be last touched or first seen standing." A bench meets that criteria.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Right, but the cask is significantly more likely to be in a public park, rather than the planter on a hotel property. The whirring being the A/C is also pretty rough in my opinion.

You're also using a verse not previously matched to that image, that... doesn't match all outside of those few lines, some of which are an incredible stretch.

edit: What's the Isle of B supposed to be here? Where's the sign nearby for the Indies native? Hard word in 3 vols?

xie fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 14, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

rookhunter posted:

There is evidence in Roanoake that leads the the spot where the bench is at. The shape of the trail is on the image, the wooden post/fence thing is also in the image. What it comes down to is how you interpret, "Under that which may be last touched or first seen standing." A bench meets that criteria.

I'm sure there's someone here that would go dig that up. Nowhere close to me though.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

rookhunter posted:

Im sorry I should explain. That backyard is the parking to the former Mount Stephen Club.
The Long/Latitude led us to Montreal. The legeater lamp was found to match the one infront of that club. There are no others we could find. There are "X"s on the adjacent buildings that match the image. The slender path leads behind the club where "cars abound".
The whirring sound is the airconditioner unit you would only be able to hear in summer. The middle of the "V" refers to the thin plots of land used as planters surrounding the parking lot.

yeahhhhhh going to need more than that or something a tad more specific.

fyi I work two minutes from mount stephen. also, what verse are you using? what images match? etc etc

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

xie posted:

Boston, Montreal, St. Louis

I realize that the cities are not set in stone, but for now I'm assuming the most popular choices just to reduce the number of possible combinations of image-to-city x image-to-verse.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

xie posted:

Right, but the cask is significantly more likely to be in a public park, rather than the planter on a hotel property. The whirring being the A/C is also pretty rough in my opinion.

You're also using a verse not previously matched to that image, that... doesn't match all outside of those few lines, some of which are an incredible stretch.

edit: What's the Isle of B supposed to be here? Where's the sign nearby for the Indies native? Hard word in 3 vols?

The grey giant is the building across from the club.

Bouchervillle is the island

I dont have the asnwers to Indies Native, there must have been a sign but its gone. I am working on proving Him of Hard Words and Rhapsodic mans soil but its hard getting records in Montreal from the states (lots of French)

If the AC is rough, the legeater lamp and "X"s cant be ignored.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

stab posted:

yeahhhhhh going to need more than that or something a tad more specific.

fyi I work two minutes from mount stephen. also, what verse are you using? what images match? etc etc

Image 9 Verse 10

Ah a Montreal resident! Perhaps you could take some pics for us?

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013
Here is my pick for Boston.
I was going to go but after the bombing im not so sure.

EDIT: Image 11, Verse 3

"face the water, your back to the stairs."

If the area is correct this is the only possible spot.

rookhunter fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 14, 2013

Guuse
May 11, 2009

rookhunter posted:

The grey giant is the building across from the club.

Bouchervillle is the island

I dont have the asnwers to Indies Native, there must have been a sign but its gone. I am working on proving Him of Hard Words and Rhapsodic mans soil but its hard getting records in Montreal from the states (lots of French)

If the AC is rough, the legeater lamp and "X"s cant be ignored.

There are X's all over the roof of Saint George's, too. Maybe I'm the last person that should be talking about making tenuous connections, though.

Serious question for the Montrealers: What do you think of direction-wise when you hear "north?" I've been wondering how to take that since the way the streets are laid out actually puts "Montreal North" at 10:00 to cardinal north (which is neat by itself since 10/October belong to this picture). So in that picture the street in front of the club that's running west-north-west is actually "North-South" and the cross street that are running more northish are actually the "east-west" ones.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its not going to be in 12 inch deep planters in a parking lot lol.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

rookhunter posted:

EDIT: Image 11, Verse 3

Is this in Charlesgate Park? (edit: yes) I don't like the "letters" assessment, nor do I think the bird perch is unique enough to be anything at all, but I like the park in general for a few reasons though and will be on-site there this weekend.

The spot between the depressions and that little building is also a candidate, as there are 2 stairs in that park.

I'd want to see a photo of the park from 1982 showing those letters though, as those are very likely to change or be a new signage.

xie fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 14, 2013

Bloke
May 22, 2004

rookhunter posted:

At least we have the solution in case you get blown up by terrorists, unlike byron "stuffed in a closet" priess

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

xie posted:

Is this in Charlesgate Park? (edit: yes) I don't like the "letters" assessment, nor do I think the bird perch is unique enough to be anything at all, but I like the park in general for a few reasons though and will be on-site there this weekend.

The spot between the depressions and that little building is also a candidate, as there are 2 stairs in that park.

I'd want to see a photo of the park from 1982 showing those letters though, as those are very likely to change or be a new signage.

Where are the other stairs? I see the steps nearby where the brick circles match the image globes but no stairs.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

rookhunter posted:

Where are the other stairs? I see the steps nearby where the brick circles match the image globes but no stairs.

Same stairs, but you can be with your back to the stairs, facing the water, and not on the other side of that hut:

edit: What I don't like about this location is that none of the imagery matches up at all - it's a "verse solve" and it doesn't flow from the Xenophon/Thucydides clue at all - this is not in any way 5 blocks/steps from the BPL. It's at minimum 6. You can see some close imagery nearby, but not from this spot.

The building across the way has 2 turrets in a similar style, but you can't see them from here.

edit: Also - the Boston/StLouis thing again. If there is one in StL there is not one in Boston. Considering that fact I think any "it's here!!!" posts about Boston are very premature.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xie fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 14, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

tell me what you want pics of, ive posted over a hundree in this thread...

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

stab posted:

tell me what you want pics of, ive posted over a hundree in this thread...

Pictures of the parking lot behind the Mount stephen club. Pictures of the planters might help my theory. :D

stab
Feb 12, 2003

rookhunter posted:

Pictures of the parking lot behind the Mount stephen club. Pictures of the planters might help my theory. :D

ill try. the area is closed since 2010 and its under heavy renovations so no promises as I have to enter a construction zone

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

xie posted:

Same stairs, but you can be with your back to the stairs, facing the water, and not on the other side of that hut:

edit: What I don't like about this location is that none of the imagery matches up at all - it's a "verse solve" and it doesn't flow from the Xenophon/Thucydides clue at all - this is not in any way 5 blocks/steps from the BPL. It's at minimum 6. You can see some close imagery nearby, but not from this spot.

The building across the way has 2 turrets in a similar style, but you can't see them from here.

edit: Also - the Boston/StLouis thing again. If there is one in StL there is not one in Boston. Considering that fact I think any "it's here!!!" posts about Boston are very premature.

I took some pics of this spot today, I'll post tonight. It's not super blatant on Google, but if you look in the middle of the overpass that goes N/S over this spot, there's a big 4-lane-spanning green illuminated highway sign with big green post 'towers' that go into the ground underneath (not into the bridge structure itself). It's right in the center section, too. I have a couple image overlays I'm putting together and will post with some photos. There's nothing groundbreaking/massive as of yet but it was an interesting afternoon.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

HoboZero posted:

I took some pics of this spot today, I'll post tonight. It's not super blatant on Google, but if you look in the middle of the overpass that goes N/S over this spot, there's a big 4-lane-spanning green illuminated highway sign with big green post 'towers' that go into the ground underneath (not into the bridge structure itself). It's right in the center section, too. I have a couple image overlays I'm putting together and will post with some photos. There's nothing groundbreaking/massive as of yet but it was an interesting afternoon.

I know & have seen pictures of that, but I don't really like it any more than The Charlesgate building itself (which has green colored turrents/towers of lighted windows) or the green lightpost right by the depressions. I've seen (seriously) every tagged image of this park on the internet, so I'm pretty familiar with it. I was hoping for the Leif Erikson statue to pan into something, but it didn't really.

I'm glad someone got down there before me. It really feels like a verse solve to me, and really wanting it to fit, but I do want to see if you can see the turrets from anywhere on that side of the overpass.

The other things I like about the area: Charlesgate is called the crown jewel of the Emerald Necklace, and almost all of the verse fits except for Xenophon/Thucydides, though of course it's open to interpretation as is anything else. There's a Revere connection (though it's a bit tenuous, The Somerset isn't exactly an unknown building), there's a "feel at home," there IS a middle section, though it's not where we're taking pictures. It's by 2 roads that run past Fenway Park, etc.

xie fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 14, 2013

ReinertMedBeinet
Jan 5, 2004

Yeah, I'll see you in Zurich

rookhunter posted:

What if it's a street sign? St. Catherine Street might be named after this St. Catherine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Tekakwitha

Edit: I can't find any proof of the street being named after Tekakwitha, but it seems very likely. She lived and died near Montreal and, according to Wikipedia: "For some time after her death, Tekakwitha was considered an honorary yet unofficial patroness of Montreal, Canada"

ReinertMedBeinet fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 15, 2013

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

rookhunter posted:

Montreal is here:

but it's hard to prove since it's a country away.

Which poem do they think goes with NYC, since it's clearly not the same one as Montreal?

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
I am interested, too. According to my handy table, the candidates for NYC would be verses 5,6,7 (the usual suspects...).

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

I suggested a path in the image earlier heh. Do you have something that shows the path in the illustration by chance? Or tha shows where in the image the post fence is?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

rookhunter posted:

I have no idea how this picture means anything. How does this fit? Is it just a place with five steps?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

GOOD EVENING FOLKS!! THIS IS DR. GITMO MONEYSON, COMING TO YOU LIVE FROM HOUSTON TEXAS!!!

... and I can't figure out how to post pictures off of my iPhone. Also I'm running low on battery power and I have to wait until tomorrow before I can get permission to do any digging at my primary site. :negative:

rookhunter posted:

Houston is my secret ;)

Does your account have Platinum? Son you best spill that secret to me over PMs, cuz I just spent 4 hours driving to Houston in loving rush hour traffic with a car full of digging equipment and I would like to feel like it wasn't a complete waste of my time or food money! :catstare:

(Also I really wanna compare notes with you outside of this thread, since I've narrowed my solution down to two or three possible locations, one of which I have a LOT of confidence in and took some photos of earlier this afternoon. :ssh:)

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I have no idea how this picture means anything. How does this fit? Is it just a place with five steps?

This is Charlesgate park - a location I've talked about a lot.

The thought here is that the 3 lamps in my picture are the 3 orbs by the woman, and the depressions (look @ google maps) are the globes. Charlesgate is the "crown jewel" of the emerald necklace. Right next to that spot is a building known as The Somerset (the name of the ship Revere snuck by) and some other condos like The Charlesgate. From nearby you can see the Citgo sign (believed by some to be the triangle on her sleeve), and some roofs that may [haven't been there yet] look like the castle (though they're the same height.)

There is water right there, and stairs, as well as a few things that could be a green tower of lights. One thing that doesn't work for me is of course the Xenophon/Thucydides clue.

Basically I think it's worth checking out, but like most "verse solves" there are any number of vague interpretations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

xie posted:

This is Charlesgate park - a location I've talked about a lot.

I was just in the area (a block away) with my camera looking for clues. I'm just wondering how the rail becomes a hawk perch and the letters "all the letters." I guess I'd want to see what I can see from the site. I'll be in the area tomorrow but probably won't be able to stop. Probably some point this next week I'll take a look unless someone else gets there with a camera first.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I was just in the area (a block away) with my camera looking for clues. I'm just wondering how the rail becomes a hawk perch and the letters "all the letters." I guess I'd want to see what I can see from the site. I'll be in the area tomorrow but probably won't be able to stop. Probably some point this next week I'll take a look unless someone else gets there with a camera first.

I'm hoping to hit it this weekend. I agree, and generally am taking a completely skeptical attitude toward everything until proven otherwise, especially given my skepticism that there's even one in Boston.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

rookhunter posted:

Have you guys made any matches to other elements in the picture aside from the Xs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
It's not a hawk, it's a Mississippi Kite! Ictinia mississippiensis, please.