Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dik-dik posted:

What are the best apps for voice chat over data (android to android)? Preferably ones that work well over 3g.
Can you start a video chat in hangouts and turn off video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

nigga crab pollock posted:

The illusion would work a lot better with a smaller screen and with bigger icons, androids have big screens and tiny icons so the illusion doesn't work as well. the ios one alsi has a lot of polish and different ui elements are on different simulated 3d planes

It still works on my 4 with that app as long as you turn the sensitivity down a lot, if it's too high it looks dumb as hell. a little movement goes a long way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gfIA3qXZNk

That's what it looks like on mine. I have bigger/proportional icons because I turned the size up in Nova Launcher. I love it. YMMV.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

dik-dik posted:

What are the best apps for voice chat over data (android to android)? Preferably ones that work well over 3g.

A phone call?

I don't understand this situation.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

A phone call?

I don't understand this situation.

He's probably looking to use it for international calls or has a really low minute plan but unlimited data or something, I dunno. I don't think it's that out there of a request at all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Skype works well for me and the audio quality is fantastic on HSPA+

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

What's good software to backup a tablet?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

gninjagnome posted:

What's good software to backup a tablet?

Helium Backup.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

For some reason, my Messaging app on my Nexus 4 (stock, 4.2.2) is having issues with displaying contact names and photos.

It's only one number and, instead of his name/photo, it shows his number without the area code. It's only his number too, it seems.

I've cleared the data for the People and Messaging app, force closed them both, deleted the old texts and tried new ones...I'm not exactly sure what's up.

Anyone else have this problem? Google isn't very helpful either.

If anyone else is having this issue, I just learned what it was.

Google Contacts (or it could also be Voice) was adding parenthesis and +1s to ALL of my numbers. Removing them fixed the problem. However, this problem only existed with this one contact. It had no issues with anyone else.

I don't know. It's probably an Android issue. :v:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

He's probably looking to use it for international calls or has a really low minute plan but unlimited data or something, I dunno. I don't think it's that out there of a request at all.

Yeah, I have a super low minute plan with unlimited data. I've been using GrooveIP but it's pretty lovely over everything but WiFi, and now that the only people I actually talk with on the phone have gotten androids, I'm looking for a better option.

1st AD posted:

Skype works well for me and the audio quality is fantastic on HSPA+

Awesome! I'll definitely try it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google Contacts (or it could also be Voice) was adding parenthesis and +1s to ALL of my numbers. Removing them fixed the problem. However, this problem only existed with this one contact. It had no issues with anyone else.

I don't know. It's probably an Android issue. :v:
It's part of Google's marketing strategy to +1 everything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

It's part of Google's marketing strategy to +1 everything.

Don't give them ideas. :(

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, I have a super low minute plan with unlimited data. I've been using GrooveIP but it's pretty lovely over everything but WiFi, and now that the only people I actually talk with on the phone have gotten androids, I'm looking for a better option.

Awesome! I'll definitely try it.

Skype isn't free though. Try Talkatone. It and GrooveIP and very similar, but one uses their own server and one goes straight through GV. Not sure which is which, but sometimes Talkatone is better for cell data.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

berzerker posted:

Skype isn't free though. Try Talkatone. It and GrooveIP and very similar, but one uses their own server and one goes straight through GV. Not sure which is which, but sometimes Talkatone is better for cell data.
I think he meant skype-skype calls, not calls to cellphones from skype. The former should still be free (excluding data of course).

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
If anyone here is using the Vine Android app, you might want go into the app info and clear your cache.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1gbzjp/if_youre_a_user_of_the_vine_app/

Apparently its caches every Vine that you watch. I've opened a couple of times since I got it and look at maybe 20 Vines, and it had cached 170MB to the phone memory. People are getting cache sizes of ~1GB.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I need an app to log things discussed at meetings etc. Preferably with a decent interface that allows me to find things relatively easily. I'm sure there's gotta be something like this, a colleague of mine has one on his iPhone, but I failed to ask him and he's not gonna be in for a while.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Back on the subject of parallax live wallpapers, there's another one here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ralphusion.ios7parallax

Currently this one doesn't do anything different to the one posted previously, but reviewers have suggested adding skewing (which I'm pretty sure is what ios7 is actually doing) plus soft braking and the dev seems responsive to that. If he can follow through it could be a much closer match to the ios effect.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

I need an app to log things discussed at meetings etc. Preferably with a decent interface that allows me to find things relatively easily. I'm sure there's gotta be something like this, a colleague of mine has one on his iPhone, but I failed to ask him and he's not gonna be in for a while.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Everyone who uses it loves Evernote but I have no experience.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 15, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I get Better Battery Stats to show stats since the phone was fully charged? My Nexus 4 did this last night, and I can't figure out what did it (other than LG) because BBS will only show since boot or screen off. I'm rooted, if that matters.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

hooah posted:

How can I get Better Battery Stats to show stats since the phone was fully charged? My Nexus 4 did this last night, and I can't figure out what did it (other than LG) because BBS will only show since boot or screen off. I'm rooted, if that matters.

Looks like it shut down there at the end due to low battery. BBS stats won't survive a reboot if I remember correctly, so it'll always fall back to "since boot" or "since screen off" when that happens.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Google music is raping my data plan. I've never almost hit data cap of 4Gb but ever since I've started all access and have been listening to music in the car I've been getting wrecked with data usage. Spotify never had this problem. Not sure if the $8 plan is worth it at this point if I'm going to get charged $10 for going over my limit. Might just go back to spotify.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

b0red posted:

Google music is raping my data plan. I've never almost hit data cap of 4Gb but ever since I've started all access and have been listening to music in the car I've been getting wrecked with data usage. Spotify never had this problem. Not sure if the $8 plan is worth it at this point if I'm going to get charged $10 for going over my limit. Might just go back to spotify.

Change the quality settings.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of Google Play Music All Access and their new mobile settings, has anyone on Straight Talk tried it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Change the quality settings.

Also Google Music got an update in the last few days that allegedly helps with streaming sizes, so if that hasn't updated yet it might be worth seeing if it makes a difference

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is there a decent app that will backup text messages to an e-mail that isn't Gmail? My girlfriend needs to backup work-related texts but she uses Hotmail.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mad Hamish posted:

Is there a decent app that will backup text messages to an e-mail that isn't Gmail? My girlfriend needs to backup work-related texts but she uses Hotmail.
This will backup to XML. I'm not sure if that is helpful, depends what your actual goal here is.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any third party Google music apps that allow me to rate my music on the 5 star scale instead of thumbs up and down? I like to organize my music but I can't rate it in a decent fashion on my phone and I don't listen to music on my computer that much so it's annoying to have to go and rate everything on the computer.

Bastard Man fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 15, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bacon Drew posted:

Are there any third party Google music apps that allow me to rate my music on the 5 star scale instead of thumbs up and down? I like to organize my music but I can't rate it in a decent fashion on my phone and I don't listen to music on my computer that much so it's annoying to have to go and rate everything on the computer.

Android Police claims that Google Play Music will have a 5-star scale one day so there's that. As for third party Play Music apps, I don't think there are any.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mad Hamish posted:

Gmail doesn't cost anything. Just get an account and backup to it.

If for some weird reason it has to be in her Hotmail account, just set up a rule in Gmail to forward to Hotmail.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Is there an app that will forward texts to another phone? I'm stuck carrying two phones for the next couple weeks(testing before dropping verizon) and would like to leave my gnex in my briefcase and run everything through my Nexus 4. I know there are apps to do that from a tablet, but not sure about phones and if I can use one for tablets, which is the best?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

ThermoPhysical posted:

Android Police claims that Google Play Music will have a 5-star scale one day so there's that. As for third party Play Music apps, I don't think there are any.
The web interface has a 5-star ratings feature you can enable under Settings/Music labs. I would image Google at one point would add this on the phone too.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I think I'll ask in here in case there is a ready made solution, but I may be resigned to the fact I need a handful of programs on both my tablet and PC.

What I would like to do is manage (tag/rate) all my billions of archived and future photos from my android tablet. They all live on my desktop and are already sorted in to folders, renamed etc.

I've found one app that can view network shares as albums and has all the rating and tagging options I could need, but it is horribly slow and unusably crashy on a nexus 7. (PhotoMate)

Does anyone know of a way of doing this?

I'm thinking if there's no ready made all in one option, there may be a way of syncing low res copies of the photos to the tablet, finding an android app that can add tags and ratings to metadata (or a separate text file?) and then sync that information to the PC and embed it into the full res originals?

Does anyone know how best to do that?

Or do I need to use some cloud based gallery?

This is one of the few reason I thought I'd want a tablet.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I swear in Go SMS Pro, I used to be able to long press a conversation in my conversation list, and like an iPhone it would turn silent and I'd stop getting notifications from that conversation. Did they get rid of that feature, or more importantly, is there another replacement messenger app that does do this now?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Has App Gratis ever had anything worthwhile other than Cerberus? Since then it's all been what look like pretty mediocre games (and even if they were good, I'm not much of a gamer), so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

dik-dik posted:

Has App Gratis ever had anything worthwhile other than Cerberus? Since then it's all been what look like pretty mediocre games (and even if they were good, I'm not much of a gamer), so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping.

Chances are, if a good app shows up, it'll be mentioned here, so you can then go download app gratis again, get the app, and uninstall again. Not much reason to keep it around unless they start having good apps frequently.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'm leaning toward getting rid of it too. They probably are doing the same thing amazon did, offering a good app (or more in the case of amazon), and then hoping that people stick with it in hopes of more good apps, that never come.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Falcon Pro hit 100,000 tokens again and will be pushing an update for people to pick up one again.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/17/falcon-pro-reaches-twitter-token-limit-again-youll-need-to-update-and-relogin-to-claim-token/

EDIT: The update is live on the Play Store. If it claims the app is still installed, just click "Installed" anyway and it'll update.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 17, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I just uninstalled Falcon Pro because I really don't like it, do I have to do anything else? I don't wanna be holding a token that someone else could use.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

the kawaiiest posted:

I just uninstalled Falcon Pro because I really don't like it, do I have to do anything else? I don't wanna be holding a token that someone else could use.

Yes, you have to go to the Twitter website and go to Settings->Apps and manually drop the token. Everyone should do this and drop tokens from stuff you don't use anymore.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Tigren posted:

Yes, you have to go to the Twitter website and go to Settings->Apps and manually drop the token. Everyone should do this and drop tokens from stuff you don't use anymore.

Just did this, thanks. I had no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
So, Digg Reader is released soon.

http://blog.digg.com/post/53203926175/digg-reader-update

• Locked thread