Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
For those of those wondering about shirts this email went out earlier.

quote:

ASTRO-MISSIVE 61213:

Greetings from very near the moon. And congratulations and thanks for opting to join the incredible Venture Bros. Shirt of the Week Club. Your better new life has just begun...

About now you should be wondering "Where is my T-shirt?" We fed that question, and a couple other more important questions (stuff about black holes and some other science questions that affect the inhabitants of a moon orbiting space station) through SoulBot's Kyanite powered thinking engine. The results were fascinating:

--COGITATING
--BEGIN FEED:
SoulBot finds that T-shirts are a leisurely way for persons of all ages to express their passions and interests.
SoulBot is not a person.
SoulBot feels hot.
Who is SoulBot?
--BEGIN LARGER QUERY

Three minutes later SoulBot's chest cavity caught fire and a terrible viscus fluid issued from many of his elbows. So we just asked our earthbound shipping department about this matter and received this in response:

"The first week's shirts are being printed as we speak. We'll start packing and shipping them Monday, but it's gonna take about a week to get through all these orders. Now can we please get back to work?"

We hope that helps. Honestly, asking our shipping department should've been our first inclination. SoulBot is only getting worse, and we feel just awful for dragging him into this matter.

We will extend your thoughts and prayers for his quick recovery.

Thank You. We Love You.

AstroBase Go inhabitants,
J. Publick, D. Hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Not my favourite but I love Hank all through this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqS-bLZ9zU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Scott Bakula posted:

Not my favourite but I love Hank all through this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqS-bLZ9zU

The end of this episode might be one of my favorites.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

AGirlWonder posted:

I don't know if anyone's brought it up specifically, but General Treister's nicknames for everyone in Any Which Way But Zeus crack me up.

That whole scene is Treister gold.

WARNING! I am TIRSTY! It is fruitpunch, and it is Delicious!

I think my favourite moments are just whenever The Monarch is just being a normal guy, just talking normally with someone, usually Dr. Mrs. The Monarch or 21. Just because it's rare to see villains be not villains. Oh, and Shoreleave talking about that Schumpmaker guy's last name. Shoreleave is great.

A few days ago I watched an earlier episode, and it started off with the Monarch storming his own accountancy firm by accident. He was still impressed with the results and demanded a 'Quicktime' of the attack on his website by noon.

That season was a long time ago.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I have waaaay too many personal favourite bits for this show, But Monstroso constantly offering a cigar to the The Monarch during their first official business meeting always cracks me up.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think my favorite moment is still this interaction during The Trial of the Monarch:

Brock Samson: No, Dean. This is guild business, your father isn't in any harm. Guild works clean, professional, and surgical. In a way, they're the only organization I still respect.
Hank Venture: And they kill clean! Don't let dames get in the way!
Brock Samson: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean Venture: It's weird, right?
Brock Samson: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
Hank Venture: Do you think it's a cry for help?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The only decent part of Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner?

Lincoln's Ghost: (knocks over a tiny statue of himself) Damnation! Forcefield, I didn't see that one coming! Sorry, Dean. Okay, okay! New plan...
Hank: (points at statue) Well, you just KO'd Uncle Sam! Why can't you just do that to an astronaut and his mom?
Lincoln's Ghost: That's not Uncle Sam, it's me! Wouldn't lay a glove on it if it weren't. I can only move things in the material world that bear my image. Wait! That penny in your pocket, Dean! I was able to get that through the forcefield! That's it!
Hank: We build a gun made out of pennies!
Lincoln's Ghost: Exactly! Wait, no, that's insane! But I have another idea! Boys, I need five dollar bills. Scores of them, 10 score at least!
Dean: How are we gonna find that many.
Hank: How, how. What are you, an owl? He can make it with his magic!
Ghost of Abraham Lincoln: For the last time, Hank, I'm a ghost, not a genie. You two must find a way!
Hank: Wait, does it matter if it's the new fives or the old ones.
Lincoln's Ghost: I... prefer the new ones? But, whatever! Go! Go!!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

AGirlWonder posted:

Man, I love to hate the Moppets. This bit is one of my favorites in the series.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone's brought it up specifically, but General Treister's nicknames for everyone in Any Which Way But Zeus crack me up.

I know all of you little girls don't wanna play in the same sandbox and I don't care. This is MY sandbox. Now let's dig in!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bobkatt013 posted:

Lincoln's Ghost: (knocks over a tiny statue of himself) Damnation! Forcefield, I didn't see that one coming! Sorry, Dean. Okay, okay! New plan...
Hank: (points at statue) Well, you just KO'd Uncle Sam! Why can't you just do that to an astronaut and his mom?
Lincoln's Ghost: That's not Uncle Sam, it's me! Wouldn't lay a glove on it if it weren't. I can only move things in the material world that bear my image. Wait! That penny in your pocket, Dean! I was able to get that through the forcefield! That's it!
Lincoln's Ghost: Exactly! Wait, no, that's insane! But I have another idea! Boys, I need five dollar bills. Scores of them, 10 score at least!
Ghost of Abraham Lincoln: For the last time, Hank, I'm a ghost, not a genie. You two must find a way!

Why does this episode get pooped on? I enjoy it greatly. About the only thing that doesn't gel is the guy who hates Brock, and vice versa.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Red posted:

Why does this episode get pooped on? I enjoy it greatly. About the only thing that doesn't gel is the guy who hates Brock, and vice versa.

Its just not one of the better Venture Brothers episode. I am not saying it is horrible, but there are a lot better Venture Brothers episode.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Guess Who's Coming To State Dinner might not be one of the best Venture Bros. episodes, but club soda being the solution to the unbreakable forcefield will always be funny to me. "A little club soda fix just about anything."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its just not one of the better Venture Brothers episode. I am not saying it is horrible, but there are a lot better Venture Brothers episode.

I thought it was a pretty clever parody of Manchurian Candidate. The only 'meh' episode of VB is probably the Dr. Quymn episode.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Red posted:

The only 'meh' episode of VB is probably the Dr. Quymn episode.

That episode would have been fine if they dialed Ginnie down about ten notches.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

JetsGuy posted:

I enjoyed Ginnie only because she reminds me or a woman I know.

Also the wads of tissue falling out of the bra slays me every time.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 14, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

JetsGuy posted:

Just like they should dial Brock down about ten notches?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Here's a minute-long preview of a scene from Sphinx Rising, as well as the promo spot.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I enjoyed Ginnie only because she reminds me or a woman I know.

The "Nancy-Drew" twins were the best part of that episode, I agree.

Ithaqua posted:

Just like they should dial Brock down about ten notches?

You know, I knew as soon as I posted that that someone was gonna get butthurt about it and take it completely the wrong way.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

The "Ventureism" that's still used in my household is from Dean when their plane almost crashes and he exclaims: "My butthole is making a fist!"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

JetsGuy posted:

You know, I knew as soon as I posted that that someone was gonna get butthurt about it and take it completely the wrong way.

I'm not butthurt, I just took the character to be an intentionally over-the-top parallel to Brock.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

I dont think Hank is ready for a Pam

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"We're amateur lepidopterists."

"You... want to see my stamp collection?"

"Only if we were philatelists. Which we're not. Dick."

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Djarum posted:

For those of those wondering about shirts this email went out earlier.

Awesome. I was kind of hoping that the package would be marked "Venture Industries". But that's a fictional company, so it'll probably be astrobase go.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"We're amateur lepidopterists."

"You... want to see my stamp collection?"

"Only if we were philatelists. Which we're not. Dick."
"If that laser were a woman I'd marry it"
"And I'd jeopardize our friendship by bangin' your hot wife"

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I wonder why that girl would feel the need to do that, it's not like there are a lot of boys around.

On a semi-related note, I would be curious to see present-Dean's reaction to these ladies...

What's up with Dean's arms in that sneak-peek? Is he growing hair there?

Also, Hatred is trying the strategy of the cuddle bug to get Dean to interact with them. How cute!

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 14, 2013

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

misguided rage posted:

"If that laser were a woman I'd marry it"
"And I'd jeopardize our friendship by bangin' your hot wife"

"I like the cut of his jib."

"I like the cut of his hair."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bobkatt013 posted:

Lincoln's Ghost: Penny for his thoughts.

That line cracks me up every time. Hell, it cracks me up just thinking about it.

Red posted:

I thought it was a pretty clever parody of Manchurian Candidate. The only 'meh' episode of VB is probably the Dr. Quymn episode.

Having Dean getting ready to box an orangutan is one of the best things Venture Bros. has ever done.

Dean: Brock, isn't this like the saddest thing ever?

And then Hank, to the orangutan: Hey, Clyde, BANG!
And then the orangutan goes, uh, apeshit on Hank.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Having Dean getting ready to box an orangutan is one of the best things Venture Bros. has ever done.

Dean: Brock, isn't this like the saddest thing ever?

And then Hank, to the orangutan: Hey, Clyde, BANG!
And then the orangutan goes, uh, apeshit on Hank.

"Thanks Doc for the new personal low". :geno:

Morozko
Dec 21, 2010

Shrek is love
Shrek is life

Ugh, as much as I love Dean's development, he's starting to get a tad insufferable in certain areas. Then again, I kinda admit that I'm starting to get rather defensive over Hatred. It's sweet how he really cares for the boys. And it's also hilarious when an ex pedophile is the better parent than their actual father.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Red posted:

"He says it tore the head off their mightiest warrior. He says it as if someone shook up a six foot can of...blood soda...and...suddenly popped the top."
"Bawoosh!"

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Red posted:

"How ya holding up there broken arrow?"

Amedeus
Jun 8, 2013

Oh, now, look at me, I'm fulla holes. But you! What's the deal, here?

Ithaqua posted:

I'm not butthurt, I just took the character to be an intentionally over-the-top parallel to Brock.

She is. Where Brock is big and super-badass, she is also big and super-badass, but Brock doesn't have any equivalent for her overblown hatred of men. I don't dislike the character, but I see what JetsGuy is getting at. Some of her HEY BROCK WANNA GO FOR A SKINNY DIP BACK OFF PERV I HATE MEN seemed a little forced.

I do really like that episode, though. As for Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner? it's weird. I always enjoy it while I'm watching it, but I never have the urge to watch it when I'm not already. I think it's just kind of slow in the middle, is all.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Amedeus posted:

She is. Where Brock is big and super-badass, she is also big and super-badass, but Brock doesn't have any equivalent for her overblown hatred of men. I don't dislike the character, but I see what JetsGuy is getting at. Some of her HEY BROCK WANNA GO FOR A SKINNY DIP BACK OFF PERV I HATE MEN seemed a little forced.

I always just saw that as her realizing that her and Brock were perfect for each other but preferring to mess with him instead.

Edit: maybe with some insecurities as well. I tend to just assume that every Venture Bros character is a half mile deep.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Morozko posted:

Ugh, as much as I love Dean's development, he's starting to get a tad insufferable in certain areas. Then again, I kinda admit that I'm starting to get rather defensive over Hatred. It's sweet how he really cares for the boys. And it's also hilarious when an ex pedophile is the better parent than their actual father.

I think that is the point with Dean. You want him to be insufferable. He is brooding, goth, and no friends but at the same time making progress with science on his own.

The bit with Hatred just sets up the failure of Doc as a parent because he never cared about the kids at all.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

evilwaldo posted:

I think that is the point with Dean. You want him to be insufferable. He is brooding, goth, and no friends but at the same time making progress with science on his own.

The bit with Hatred just sets up the failure of Doc as a parent because he never cared about the kids at all.

I really enjoy how the boys have developed competence in their own way, mainly by rebelling against their failure of a father. Hank has shown several times that he has a knack for combat and even detective work when his conscious mind isn't getting in the way. Dean has slowly withdrawn but quietly became good at science despite Doc's attempts to get him to do things his way.

I want them to retain their goofy qualities, but it's nice to see the growth.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Derek Dominoe posted:

I really enjoy how the boys have developed competence in their own way, mainly by rebelling against their failure of a father. Hank has shown several times that he has a knack for combat and even detective work when his conscious mind isn't getting in the way. Dean has slowly withdrawn but quietly became good at science despite Doc's attempts to get him to do things his way.

I want them to retain their goofy qualities, but it's nice to see the growth.

It makes me wonder what the other Dean and Hanks were like. I am sure some lived for a while and developed their own personalities or are these ones different since they have lasted longer then all the others?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

It makes me wonder what the other Dean and Hanks were like. I am sure some lived for a while and developed their own personalities or are these ones different since they have lasted longer then all the others?

Didn't Doc basically copy their minds with the learning beds and then imprint them on the clone slugs? If so, they'd have little variation.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea each time a new Dean, for example, happened he would have the mind of the last time Dean was in the learning bed.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I thought rusty tired to remake himself in dean by having him inroll in State univeristy. Also had him wearing speed suits. I thought Dean rold doc in the New York Episode he wanted to be a reporter or something.

Hank's competence was something to effect of him rejecting school and wanting to be a badass like Brock. So its not surprising he is getting better at combat stuff.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
Hey let's find out how many times we can use the word failure in a sentence!

Failure failure failure!

Did you know the theme is failure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Miltank posted:

I always just saw that as her realizing that her and Brock were perfect for each other but preferring to mess with him instead.

Edit: maybe with some insecurities as well. I tend to just assume that every Venture Bros character is a half mile deep.

I think she decides to hit on Brock because she's trying to make Dr. Quymn jealous. When Rusty leaves Quymn's tent, she no longer has to put up the charade and does an abrupt 180.