Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Can of Cloud posted:

I refuse to listen to any more tracks besides hearing live versions of New Slaves & Black Skinhead, and leak version of I Am A God. I will wait until Tuesday. It'll be tough, but I want that "element of surprise."

You're definitely in for a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
The outro to Hold My Liquor is absolutely amazing

This album is really like a raw 808 huh?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Nadir posted:

This album is really like a raw 808 huh?

Uh huh honey.

I have to say that the CD version of Black Skinhead is a little bit disappointing. It lacks the energy of the the snl version. But otherwise it's a pretty good album.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I wasn't feeling Blood on the Leaves, but it just clicked for me. My God...

And yeah SNL version of Skinhead is much better.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Love the last half of the album.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
i like it, i do i do. yippee

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
What are the chances that there are bonus tracks by buying it via iTunes? Or maybe a Deluxe edition as Ye did with Watch The Throne.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm In It is not good.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
I;m not gonna lie, I'm kinda disappointed by how the TNGHT "R U Ready" sample that Ye apparently paid 500k+ for was used, I liked Blood On The Leaves but I feel like I would have liked it better with just a normal thumping bass kind of beat.

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YedU4f5cA7E

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Yeah it's fuckin great

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
I was initially disappointed that Black Skinhead's CD version wasn't as awesome as the SNL version but gently caress it, this album rules too hard for me to give a poo poo. I Am A God is so loving amazing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Me in Reverse posted:

I'm In It is not good.

"Put my fist in her like a civil rights sign" disagrees :colbert:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Me in Reverse posted:

I'm In It is not good.

Disagree very much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

The loving lyrics to I Am A God :psyduck:

If you're looking for more Kanye West basically being an insane person this albums seems perfect so far

This is exactly what I want out of this album :neckbeard:

Starting to listen now. Oh god, I haven't been this stoked since I first listened to the RAM leak.

e: Oh my god, can Daft Punk please produce all hip-hop until the end of time?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 14, 2013

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah Kanye, never stop being audacious. Only track I'm not sure I am feeling is On Sight.

Sasha Frere-Jones wrote a pretty good article on the album here.

EDIT: This is like poetry slam with a feel of M.I.A.'s MAYA album, with fisting asians in the tub and croissants.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 14, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SNL version of Black Skinhead was more intense, yeah, but the album version is pretty good too.

I Am A God....holy poo poo hahaha. Kanye either deserves all the awards for this or deserves to be committed. Likely both. This rules.

e: "Y'all throwin' contracts at me, you know that niggas can't read!" :allears:

e2: Whoever said this felt like the next 808s and Heartbreak, I'd be inclined to agree, except it feels realer than 808s with the lack of autotune.

e3: "Eatin' Asian pussy, all I need is sweet and sour sauce" holy poo poo :lol:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 14, 2013

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I'm not even half way through this album and I'm ready to call it album of the year.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Went in thinking I'd hate it but it's easily the best thing since 808s. Blood on the Leaves is my favorite, love the molly nostalgia.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Went in thinking I'd hate it but it's easily the best thing since 808s. Blood on the Leaves is my favorite, love the molly nostalgia.

Really? I didn't care for Blood On The Leaves or Guilt Trip :( The first 6 tracks loving rule, but then from when Blood On The Leaves started until Guilt Trip finished, that was the weak part of the album for me. Incidentally, those are the only two autotune tracks.

I'm on Send It Up Now and enjoying it a lot more, fortunately.

e: Can the thread title be changed to "Kanye West has a new album. One of the best of the year? UH HUH HONEY!"

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 15, 2013

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Nadir posted:

The outro to Hold My Liquor is absolutely amazing

I can't tell you how happy I am that this album has no Jay-Z.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Really? I didn't care for Blood On The Leaves or Guilt Trip :( The first 6 tracks loving rule, but then from when Blood On The Leaves started until Guilt Trip finished, that was the weak part of the album for me. Incidentally, those are the only two autotune tracks.

I'm on Send It Up Now and enjoying it a lot more, fortunately.

e: Can the thread title be changed to "Kanye West has a new album. One of the best of the year? UH HUH HONEY!"
Autotuned kanye is the best kanye so idk man, maybe clean the earwax out your ears or something.

I was going to save my money today but now I feel like I need to go to the dispensary and pop this album's weed cherry.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

What motown song is Bound 2 sampling? I really like it.

and yeah, I Am A God is unreal.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Autotuned kanye is the best kanye so idk man, maybe clean the earwax out your ears or something.

I was going to save my money today but now I feel like I need to go to the dispensary and pop this album's weed cherry.

I Am A God was a drat near religious experience for me so I can't wait to hear this on the 25i I'm getting this weekend.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Paperback Writer posted:

What motown song is Bound 2 sampling? I really like it.

"Bound" by the Ponderosa Twins Plus One.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Splurgerwitzl posted:

It's not that I don't like autotuned Kanye. I really like 808s. In fact, Street Lights is probably one of my favorite tracks he's ever done and he's autotuned to hell and back on that. Just sayin', the only 2 songs that didn't really do it for me on this album were the autotune ones. It was like this sudden jarring tonal shift from raw, insane Kanye with no autotune to autotuned Kanye. Just sounded bizarre in context and kind of messed up the flow for me.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

It's not that I don't like autotuned Kanye. I really like 808s. In fact, Street Lights is probably one of my favorite tracks he's ever done and he's autotuned to hell and back on that. Just sayin', the only 2 songs that didn't really do it for me on this album were the autotune ones. It was like this sudden jarring tonal shift from raw, insane Kanye with no autotune to autotuned Kanye. Just sounded bizarre in context and kind of messed up the flow for me.

I think that the Frank Ocean bit at the end of New Slaves really separates the album in two - the sound is really different between that first half and second half.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

e3: "Eatin' Asian pussy, all I need is sweet and sour sauce" holy poo poo :lol:
Man, really? I winced a lot at that, it seemed pretty hacky to me.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
As someone who likes bass lines that sound like a run away train chugging along, Black Skinhead is awesome.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
I love this album. It's a logical progression combining the minimalism of 808s and the sweeping feel of MBDTF.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

het posted:

Man, really? I winced a lot at that, it seemed pretty hacky to me.

That's Kanye for you :v:

(Well actually that's just one part of why I love Kanye, but yeah, when he does hacky lines, he does them well.)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Hold My Liquor is really boring, but everything else is awesome. I'm In It and Bound 2 especially.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I don't know how the Kanye chief keef Bon iver track is the worst on the album but it is. The rest slaps and I can't wait to hear it out tonight

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

When I listen to the album I think "this album would be better without Kanye", and that's probably not the right thing to have your album feel. I am a God, New Slaves and Send it Up are good. Bound 2 is pretty cool, Blood on the Leaves is alright, didn't really care for the rest.

Above average, not great

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

...except it feels realer than 808s with the lack of autotune.

Second half of the album is mostly autotune.

e. Oops, didn't see your other posts. :shobon:

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 15, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Second half of the album is mostly autotune.

There's only 2 autotune tracks.

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
this album owns holy poo poo.

i think this alt cover someone made really sums it all up.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

it's not that glossy haha

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Sauska posted:

When I listen to the album I think "this album would be better without Kanye", and that's probably not the right thing to have your album feel. I am a God, New Slaves and Send it Up are good. Bound 2 is pretty cool, Blood on the Leaves is alright, didn't really care for the rest.

Above average, not great

I'm very much with you. I like the Def Jux-esque production a lot, but did anyone else find Kanye's lyrics especially weak? A few of the songs seemed to drag a bit too. "Black Skinhead" is undoubtedly up there with his best, though. I think that a lot of these tracks are going to be better live.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

TubeStank posted:

did anyone else find Kanye's lyrics especially weak?

I've seen a lot of claims that Kanye's flow is his weakest link but I've always felt like it was his lyrics, especially when he's doing guest verses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The one thing this reminds me of is an Odd Future album. This sounds like a hi-fi Tyler, the Creator produced album. I would kill for a Left Brain Remix of all of this.

• Locked thread