Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There were a lot of things I really liked about this issue. The horseman dropping his Medieval Times speech when he recognized Jesus was expressive writing that conveyed a lot. Ezekiel was good! Shiva was good! But what really got me was that for the first time I can remember the cliffhanger isn't just a predictable tease for next month's issue, because Dwight has serious motivation to go either way.

So yeah, more of this please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I just caught up on the last few issues and FINALLY the book has me interested again for the first time in forever. I actually like how the comic seems to be at the point where we are close to full on Mad Max poo poo. The coming medieval style war will probably be very entertaining at least. I'll take that any day over 20 issues of meandering around a boring community.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Robert Kirkman is furiously rewriting the Negan mutiny and Faction Wars ending after reading this thread.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
OK got my #18 trade today and ripped through it during lunch. Still not sure if I should go to monthly reading though as it took me a few minutes to get orientated and remember where we left off.

therealjon_ posted:

I actually really liked #107.

Until the end where we are apparently going to meet the wise and powerful George Clinton.
Nothing like the end of civilization for people to live out their dreams of becoming rulers.

OldMemes posted:

I'm surprised that there haven't been any posts here about the tiger. :catstare:
Who doesn't like violence? That caat needs to toughen up.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

drat, new issue yesterday and nobody has anything to say about it?

I actually already kinda forget what happened. I really like The Walking Dead as an overall work -- even its rambliness, even the new characters some people complain about -- but yeah, it moves slowwww. I didn't feel "cheated" this issue or anything, I just want Rick & co to make their move!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was slightly more eventful than the previous couple, Negan showing up in Rickville was unexpected, him shanking Spencer was his usual over-the-top wildcard hijinx but whatever, I guess Spencer had it coming but it was a bit too convenient for Rick.

I guess we'll have to wait 3-4 month for any sort of resolution on this arc.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The pacing is just so brutally slow with the monthlies. That and every issue I can remember summarizes down to A violent thing happens as Rick and company prepare for next month's exiting issue!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
That's why I trade wait - it reads a lot better in trade paper. The stories seem more organised that way, and the end of each story arc has more dramatic weight, since it's the end of that volume. It has more of a "dramatic pause" effect, rather than the monthly way making it all run together. I don't know if that makes any sense how I've explained it though.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Maybe I have poor taste, but Negan is one of the more compelling villains I've seen in any medium, much less this particular comic. I can't think of another one who so deftly walks the line between "bro-dawg who'd be fun to have a beer with" and "except for the fact he's a violent sociopath."

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I wait a couple months and read them in batches. Monthlies are just too short, and waiting for the trade takes a couple years.

They're gonna fight Negan, lots of characters will die, and horrible poo poo will happen. But it probably won't happen next issue.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Let's predict what will happen to Negan.

I'm going with a slow torture process before Carl does him in.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I hope Negan doesn't die. He's a great character and I love his lines sometimes. The guts part in the last issue was real funny!

However, I have no idea how he could survive. Maybe if he ran away like the gov did on the tv show? Not really his style though

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I called it earlier, but it'll involve Lucille up in his rear end and probably his face getting ironed. I also expect Negan to makes strange detached jokes about it while it's happening, emphasizing what a weirdo he is.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The latest issue has a really unexpected ending and really changes the pace.

Rick makes a knee-jerk decision to shoot Negan and his few men as he is leaving the Safe-Zone with supplies. Fails. He ends up unarmed facing a large amount of hidden Saviors with guns who have the place completely surrounded

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Edit: nvm spoiler tags didn't show in the Awful app- my bad.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Oh Rick, Negan liked you too!

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Lucille, give me strength.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
In Rick's place I would have taken longer to try to get in my oppressor's good graces before openly trying to kill him, but I also don't have to live with the frustration of being harassed robbed and my friends killed by a psychotic frat boy tyrant.

Minus a sudden zombie attack (probably impossible; was the gate closed all the way?) or one of Negan's men shooting him in the back I don't see how the heroes are getting out of this one. Maybe Kirkman will kill everyone off and continue the series with a new group of survivors. :shepicide:

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Soulcleaver posted:

In Rick's place I would have taken longer to try to get in my oppressor's good graces before openly trying to kill him, but I also don't have to live with the frustration of being harassed robbed and my friends killed by a psychotic frat boy tyrant.

Minus a sudden zombie attack (probably impossible; was the gate closed all the way?) or one of Negan's men shooting him in the back I don't see how the heroes are getting out of this one. Maybe Kirkman will kill everyone off and continue the series with a new group of survivors. :shepicide:

I think that Andrea or Carl both who probably still have their guns on Negan's head will assure that their is a sort of stale-mate between the two groups

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The pacing in TWD has become eerily similar to DBZ.

"I'm Rick, I'm king poo poo of zombie mountain"
"gently caress you Rick, I'm Negan, I'm king dick of your mountain"
"gently caress Negan, we can take him"
"gently caress you Rick, I'll take you"
"Ok deal. (We can take Negan, we'll go behind his back)"
"Ha, you thought you could go behind my back, here are some more swears"

And so on. I hope something happens soon.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
The pacing's been like that for long time. It's the reason why the series is a lot better for binging than month-by-month.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was super disappointed when they followed a two-page BANG! splash page with the usual cop-out. It's funny how something like that can get your hopes up that they're out of a rut - or that he can still trick me into thinking something will happen.

It was funny because I accidentally read half a spoiler and thought that situation would resolve differently.

Risky
May 18, 2003

therealjon_ posted:

Oh Rick, Negan liked you too!

I actually kind of liked Negan for a bit after hearing his explanation for Spencer. Also, that he was willing to just let them keep all of the supplies seemed like a nice gesture.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Negan just doesn't know how to make friends, poor guy.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Negan just doesn't know how to make friends, poor guy.

The same could probably be said for Rick.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

The pacing in TWD has become eerily similar to DBZ.

"I'm Rick, I'm king poo poo of zombie mountain"
"gently caress you Rick, I'm Negan, I'm king dick of your mountain"
"gently caress Negan, we can take him"
"gently caress you Rick, I'll take you"
"Ok deal. (We can take Negan, we'll go behind his back)"
"Ha, you thought you could go behind my back, here are some more swears"

And so on. I hope something happens soon.

I have a feeling that it will be more of this until the next "all out war" arc, where they are going to be doing once every two weeks instead.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

therealjon_ posted:

The same could probably be said for Rick.

Rick's got some issues, but the dude is a thousand-fold more sociable than Negan the Ferociously Unpleasant.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's a strange thing about TWD how the most obnoxious of people have become the most natural candidates for leadership post apocalypse. I understand the notion of groups of ruthless bandits but why do they always choose the most hosed up loose cannon types as their leaders? You'd think that after the second of third time Negan stole someone's wife or ironed someone's face the rest of the group would decide it's time to elect new leadership through shanking Negan in his sleep. At least the Governor made an effort to fool people into thinking he wasn't completely a blood crazed sociopath but Negan is as awful to his own henchmen as he is to random outsiders.

Once people decide to become bad guys they just go around looking for the worst person they can find to lead them, I guess.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

At least the Governor made an effort to fool people into thinking he wasn't completely a blood crazed sociopath but Negan is as awful to his own henchmen as he is to random outsiders.

All right, really, what kind of community rallies around a dude who doesn't even go by his own name? It's like all the sensible people got bitten first.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I don't know Negan is a ball buster but he seems to take care of his people. They just need to follow his rules, or the punishments are pretty severe.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's a strange thing about TWD how the most obnoxious of people have become the most natural candidates for leadership post apocalypse. I understand the notion of groups of ruthless bandits but why do they always choose the most hosed up loose cannon types as their leaders? You'd think that after the second of third time Negan stole someone's wife or ironed someone's face the rest of the group would decide it's time to elect new leadership through shanking Negan in his sleep. At least the Governor made an effort to fool people into thinking he wasn't completely a blood crazed sociopath but Negan is as awful to his own henchmen as he is to random outsiders.

Once people decide to become bad guys they just go around looking for the worst person they can find to lead them, I guess.

I think the idea is that with Negan it's almost a cult-like thing. The Saviors don't think for themselves as much as they do what Negan says because Negan is the biggest, meanest bully in the room, and hey, he's kept them as king of the hill for a while now. And what if a traitor failed to kill Negan? Not only would the traitor be completely at the mercy of the biggest, meanest bully around, but also the group of devoted followers. Awful, monstrous people always have groupies - and in a world with no law and order, there's nothing to stop them.

Negan is defiantly the most interesting Walking Dead villain so far - the unpredictable way Kirkman shifts him from being a weirdo with a dark sense of humour to a :stonk: inducing psycho is pretty unnerving.

Rick's complete and utter :argh: attitude of semi-impotent rage towards him is pretty well done too. Seeing Rick flip out is one of the series's main charms.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
New issue!

Not much happened this time but the action was solid, I didn't buy for a second the Andrea fakeout, I guess Jesus and his buddy are going to pop up next issue back in Ricktown and save the day. Isaac and Michonne are also due to show up and do something at one point or another.

Negan was his old self but more entertaining this time I think, his erotic relationship with Lucille and him losing it when Carl blew a chunk out of it was pretty amusing.

I think it's about time things start to speed up a bit, at this rate it's gonna take another 4-5 issues for the Savior's arc to wrap up.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

New issue!

Not much happened this time but the action was solid, I didn't buy for a second the Andrea fakeout, I guess Jesus and his buddy are going to pop up next issue back in Ricktown and save the day. Isaac and Michonne are also due to show up and do something at one point or another.

Negan was his old self but more entertaining this time I think, his erotic relationship with Lucille and him losing it when Carl blew a chunk out of it was pretty amusing.

I think it's about time things start to speed up a bit, at this rate it's gonna take another 4-5 issues for the Savior's arc to wrap up.

More like 12. The letters page say the next 12 issues are going to be total war.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
And they'll be coming out faster, apparently.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The comic is in the most interesting and fun place it's been in years. I actually can't wait for each new issue.

I just hope nothing bad happens to Jesus =(

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

threeagainstfour posted:

I just hope nothing bad happens to Jesus =(

You just know Kirkman is going to have him beaten, whipped and crucified, then come back as a Zombie and eat everyone.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I actually hope that happens. That's completely absurd and the longest buildup to a half-baked joke.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

I actually hope that happens. That's completely absurd and the longest buildup to a half-baked joke.

Negan would think it was hilarious.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

onefish posted:

Negan would think it was hilarious.

Negan is so loving fun to read. Like he's completely aware of the hosed up situation he's in and he loving loves it.

Him calling out for Carl then going "poo poo, they're really not pushing the kid over are they? gently caress" was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
New issue is out.

In Jesus's situation I would have just pulled the trigger and drat the consequences. That evil gently caress needs to die. Yeah, maybe someone else would take over his little fiefdom, but more likely they'd collapse without Negan's charisma and psychopathy to keep them in line.

• Locked thread