Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Cool, how does it fire at a target past arm's length or so? Doesn't the suppressor reduce the speed to subsonic? It would seem like a .22 wouldn't have enough mass to be effective at any range like that. I'm genuinely curious.

Here's a video of how quiet a suppressed .22 can be. Do you really think that people would use suppressors if they prevented guns from being accurate past a few dozen feet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbjXvH7xJA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Soonmot posted:

You can only store so many over night. Without a warehouse it's 50. Extra is wasted.

I know, I'm at the farm which has a cap of 90.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Snak posted:

Do you really think that people would use suppressors if they prevented guns from being accurate past a few dozen feet?
Yes, it would still be useful.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

This guy has an awesome glitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goy9UH2thvc

Interesting that the Xbox can render so many zombies at once.

Unless you're in a car the game runs surprisingly well. The only real problem is when the camera can't follow you into interiors fast enough so you get jumped.

Side note that glitch shows off the unique behavior of the tutorial area before you cross the river: you can't actually die and you don't take long lasting damage.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Are there requirements for later missions? I've done the first courthouse one, and those guys at the grange are still there, and I'm sure I'm not done with the army. I've got ray, doc, and the army on call. But in the last 4 hours I've only had random missions popping up.

(I'm also invisibly infested, but I can deal with that ok)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I had some time yesterday where I was out of story missions to do, so I just did a couple of scavenging runs and eventually got a radio call with a new story mission. Seems like there can be a slight delay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Was stuff cut from the Wilkerson and Judge Lawton lines, or did I take too long with something? I get the sense those plot threads were going somewhere, but the Wilkersons have just stopped doing anything at all (their inventory's empty, too) and I got to a mission at the courthouse where when I got there Carl and the Judge were dead before I could even get in the door and then no one said anything about it ever again. Now I've got the end-game mission. I'm thinking I'm just going to wrap this run up and maybe try again, this time keeping Sam alive (I'm still mad she died.)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Lotish posted:

Was stuff cut from the Wilkerson and Judge Lawton lines, or did I take too long with something? I get the sense those plot threads were going somewhere, but the Wilkersons have just stopped doing anything at all (their inventory's empty, too) and I got to a mission at the courthouse where when I got there Carl and the Judge were dead before I could even get in the door and then no one said anything about it ever again. Now I've got the end-game mission. I'm thinking I'm just going to wrap this run up and maybe try again, this time keeping Sam alive (I'm still mad she died.)

I'm 100% positive content was cut from the storylines, probably a lot of content judging from how incomplete it feels, but it is apparently possible to save Carl and the Judge in that mission, it's just obscenely difficult and you pretty much have to haul rear end over there immediately to even get the chance. Aside from that once instance, get used to that feeling, because every single one of the plot threads starts to feel like it's going somewhere and then just stops halfway through with no resolution.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

I'm 100% positive content was cut from the storylines, probably a lot of content judging from how incomplete it feels, but it is apparently possible to save Carl and the Judge in that mission, it's just obscenely difficult and you pretty much have to haul rear end over there immediately to even get the chance. Aside from that once instance, get used to that feeling, because every single one of the plot threads starts to feel like it's going somewhere and then just stops halfway through with no resolution.

It seems like in order to save them you'd have to be right outside the door when you get the call. I was just down the street heading that way anyway in the sports car when I got it, and I was still to late.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Lotish posted:

Was stuff cut from the Wilkerson and Judge Lawton lines, or did I take too long with something? I get the sense those plot threads were going somewhere, but the Wilkersons have just stopped doing anything at all

You have to side with the Wilkersons in all their quests or they're done, otherwise they go until you "mediate" a deal for them, only to have them send you away and kill the people you were sent to safeguard. After that point you feel like poo poo, but they have military grade weapons in their storage sometimes

The one that really feels like it just ends to me was the one for the guy who offers to get you cars.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me
For those of you waiting for the patch it seems to have hit. I just fired up my game and it downloaded an update.

Edit: On my existing game my guys are actually manning the watchtower and the "Too many infestations" alert is gone.

Evil Crouton fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 15, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I got cut off from Xbox live in the middle of playing because the patch is go.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Same here, downloading now. Woo!

e: First thing I noticed is that there's actually someone manning the watchtower. Hopefully the other bugs were successfully fixed too.

e2: I still have the 'Too Many Infestations' modifier. :ohdear: Going to check and see if there are any around me that I missed.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 15, 2013

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I wouldn't be too surprised if you have to start a fresh game to take full advantage of the fixes. That's what I'm going to do later tonight, at least. I've already lost too many people to bugs.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Mister Bates posted:

Same here, downloading now. Woo!

e: First thing I noticed is that there's actually someone manning the watchtower. Hopefully the other bugs were successfully fixed too.

e2: I still have the 'Too Many Infestations' modifier. :ohdear: Going to check and see if there are any around me that I missed.

You can still get too many infestations, but now it only pops up if they are 500 meters within your base (I think). Do a run of survey spots around you. Sometimes you have to drive pretty close to a building to discover them as well.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Awesome. I'm gonna go ahead and start a new game tonight.

Regarding Aus/NZ this was posted Wednesday

Undead Sanya posted:

Australia/New Zealand: The AUS review board has requested a second round of video footage. Third. Whatever. This time, they want to see the context of "drug use" (the medical supplies contain painkillers, and one of the characters makes a comment about medical marijuana) among other things. We are of course sending it all over. We don't consider ourselves fully launched without you, and we will jump through every hoop like an undead circus poodle.

EDIT: And apparently having large numbers of survivors in your group can cause some sort of save bug. They recommend to try and keep it in the low twenties until TU2.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jonny Retro posted:

EDIT: And apparently having large numbers of survivors in your group can cause some sort of save bug. They recommend to try and keep it in the low twenties until TU2.

The most you can support with three bedrooms is 24, so I don't see this bug popping up all that often unless someone is deliberately trying to accumulate as many survivors as possible for some reason.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jonny Retro posted:

Holy gently caress they're being petty as poo poo. Painkillers really? Max Payne 3, as far as I remember, got in under the MA15 rating without an issue and that has clear-as-day alcohol and painkiller abuse!
poo poo, you'd think having a R18 rating means they could slack off even less and just jam things under the R18 but now is the time they actually chose to do their job and THIS is the title they choose to line the MA/R line?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jonny Retro posted:

Awesome. I'm gonna go ahead and start a new game tonight.

Being a gamer in Australia must be annoying when stupid stuff like this happens.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Croccers posted:

Holy gently caress they're being petty as poo poo. Painkillers really? Max Payne 3, as far as I remember, got in under the MA15 rating without an issue and that has clear-as-day alcohol and painkiller abuse!
poo poo, you'd think having a R18 rating means they could slack off even less and just jam things under the R18 but now is the time they actually chose to do their job and THIS is the title they choose to line the MA/R line?

Fallout 3 ran into the same problem. Bethesda removed drug references (like renaming morphine to Med-X) and that was enough to get them through.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

404notfound posted:

Fallout 3 ran into the same problem. Bethesda removed drug references (like renaming morphine to Med-X) and that was enough to get them through.
It's less about the drug references and more about them letting other poo poo through with a clear pass, example Max Payne 3.
They're woefully incompetent and inconsistent.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Doesn't Australia have an 18+ rating now? What's even holding them up? It's going to get a higher rating no matter what.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Can anyone confirm that the patch fixes have fixed their game or will it only affect new games?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just got this game a couple days ago and I spent the first night dicking around a bit and got Marcus killed almost immediately so I started a new game and I'm getting a bit better feel for the game even though I haven't really moved past the first town yet.

Then, I come in here and read that there are bugs, although I didn't see exactly what the bugs were but it seems related to survivors going missing which I haven't had really happen yet. Plus there is now a patch?

I think I'll just start up a new game since I wasn't very far into the game.

So what's the best use of outposts? Should they be close to the home base? Spread out to maximize safe areas? Used where ever there are good resources?

Also, how quickly should I go do the mission to save Lily's brother? That is where I got Marcus killed in my first attempt, although it was mostly because I was dumb so I don't think I need tips on the fight.

edit - VVVV - Beeb, I was thinking about waiting for the PC release too because I've been playing more games on my PC than 360, but I needed a good zombie game like right now.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 15, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

coyo7e posted:

Cool, how does it fire at a target past arm's length or so? Doesn't the suppressor reduce the speed to subsonic? It would seem like a .22 wouldn't have enough mass to be effective at any range like that. I'm genuinely curious.

:eng101: All a suppressor does is slow down the rapidly expanding gasses by capturing them and allowing them to expand through a series of baffles, which prevents the supersonic crack at the muzzle from occurring. Combine a decent suppressor with a subsonic load, which typically either uses a heavier and thus slower bullet, or a lighter powder charge, and the hammer falling will be quieter than the actual impact of the projectile. You can still use standard/higher velocity loads, and some of the noise will be reduced, but it'll still be fairly loud.

Here is a pretty good example of subsonic vs. standard velocity ammo being fired through the same gun and suppressor. If the time stamp link fucks up just skip to 10:45 for quiet shooting, and two minutes on for loud shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXc0rm6dzVs&t=645s

It is super fun to shoot suppressed, not to mention courteous to those around you. :tipshat:

Anyway on topic and stuff:

Has there been any news about the PC release? I've been thinking of getting this but I know as soon as I do the PC version will drop.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

:eng101: All a suppressor does is slow down the rapidly expanding gasses by capturing them and allowing them to expand through a series of baffles, which prevents the supersonic crack at the muzzle from occurring. Combine a decent suppressor with a subsonic load, which typically either uses a heavier and thus slower bullet, or a lighter powder charge, and the hammer falling will be quieter than the actual impact of the projectile. You can still use standard/higher velocity loads, and some of the noise will be reduced, but it'll still be fairly loud.

Here is a pretty good example of subsonic vs. standard velocity ammo being fired through the same gun and suppressor. If the time stamp link fucks up just skip to 10:45 for quiet shooting, and two minutes on for loud shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXc0rm6dzVs&t=645s

It is super fun to shoot suppressed, not to mention courteous to those around you. :tipshat:

Anyway on topic and stuff:

Has there been any news about the PC release? I've been thinking of getting this but I know as soon as I do the PC version will drop.

One thing I like about this game is that it's actually fairly realistic in its handling of suppressed firearms - there are some guns that are basically silent when suppressed, and some which still give off an audible 'bang!', it's just quieter. You also can't (usually) suppress revolvers at all, which is true in real life but a lot of games and movies seem to get wrong.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

So what's the best use of outposts? Should they be close to the home base? Spread out to maximize safe areas? Used where ever there are good resources?

Also, how quickly should I go do the mission to save Lily's brother? That is where I got Marcus killed in my first attempt, although it was mostly because I was dumb so I don't think I need tips on the fight.

It depends, I usually keep outposts somewhat close to my home base so that they'll take out incoming hordes and also because the resource gathering bonus doesn't account for much. Having one outpost spare will definitely save your rear end in a pinch if you're in another town from your home base or if you do the Memento quest.

Generally for Lily's brother you have until he starts screaming that the zombies are coming closer.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Mister Bates posted:

One thing I like about this game is that it's actually fairly realistic in its handling of suppressed firearms - there are some guns that are basically silent when suppressed, and some which still give off an audible 'bang!', it's just quieter. You also can't (usually) suppress revolvers at all, which is true in real life but a lot of games and movies seem to get wrong.

Yeah. There's the Nagant revolver, which can be suppressed fairly well, but it's just a terrible piece of poo poo that nobody likes. :v:

I might just bite the bullet and get this tonight, I could use something different for a change.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's a pretty good game even in it's current state, but my biggest worry right now is whether or not microsoft will pull their shenanigans in regard to patches. It'd be a drat shame if everything extra had to be paywalled, assuming the developers are even looking at such things.

Edit: Seems my fear is unfounded at the moment. I just patched my game and the title update is 61 megs. I believe the typical cap is 4 megs, so they're obviously being given some latitude.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 15, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
First impressions from starting a new game is that the game is simultaneously both more challenging and less bullshit, both good things. The pre-patch game had fake difficulty due to bugs while the actual gameplay was quite easy - infestations themselves were a mere annoyance, while the 'Too Many Infestations!' bug itself could kill or maim survivors by the dozen and force you to waste your time on constant search-and-rescue ops. The patch seems to have reversed that. Infestations are now no threat if you keep them controlled, but clearing an individual infestation is now considerably more difficult, and leaving it there will result in a lot more zombies hanging around. Post-patch play is the first time I've ever had to abandon an infestation-clearing mission and run away, because it was that or die. I was on foot, so it boiled down to me desperately fleeing from a large pack of zombies until I got within sniper range of my base, at which point they were all shot down by the sentries - another thing that wouldn't have happened before the patch; before the 'no guards posted' bug was fixed they would have just caught me and chowed down.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

My favorite example of a suppressor done wrong is the movie Payback where Mel Gibson puts a pillow over someone's face before shooting them with a revolver.

I know you can silence shotguns in real life if you have a big enough suppressor. Haven't tried silencing any in this game.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Sankis posted:

It's a pretty good game even in it's current state, but my biggest worry right now is whether or not microsoft will pull their shenanigans in regard to patches. It'd be a drat shame if everything extra had to be paywalled, assuming the developers are even looking at such things.

Edit: Seems my fear is unfounded at the moment. I just patched my game and the title update is 61 megs. I believe the typical cap is 4 megs, so they're obviously being given some latitude.

Having your publisher own the console and distribution platform your releasing on has it perks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

I know you can silence shotguns in real life if you have a big enough suppressor. Haven't tried silencing any in this game.

You can't in this game because the only ammunition available for shotguns is buckshot, not slugs. Shotguns are really iffy for anything other than blowing a whole in a zombie swarm that is beating the poo poo out of somebody on the ground; they take way too long to reload and headshots don't seem to connect at ranges of greater than 10 feet. .

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

First impressions from starting a new game is that the game is simultaneously both more challenging and less bullshit, both good things.

Really? I hadn't heard about any actual difficulty rebalances in the patch, I thought it was mostly just no more "too many infestations" and such things.

Edit ^^^ Holy poo poo that not true at all. Shotguns own 24/7 the only downside I can see to them is that you can't really keep stocked in ammo because all shotguns use the same ammo type.

If you want to clear out hoardes/infestations/anything in no time just drop some kind of noisemaker and all the zombies heads will be on the same level.

Also are guns hitscan in this game? I swear I can reliably pop heads with shotguns at pretty respectable ranges so if it's shooting actual projectiles you could just be missing due to spread.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 15, 2013

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah. There's the Nagant revolver, which can be suppressed fairly well, but it's just a terrible piece of poo poo that nobody likes. :v:

I might just bite the bullet and get this tonight, I could use something different for a change.

You'll get a kick out of it, Beeb. There are like 20 different lever-actions and shotguns alone in this game. :dance:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Heavens!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tyskil posted:

Really? I hadn't heard about any actual difficulty rebalances in the patch, I thought it was mostly just no more "too many infestations" and such things.

Might just be the placebo effect, but it definitely feels like there are more zombies in and around infested sites than there used to be. It might just be because I've started a new game and had gotten used to living in the Snyder Trucking Green Zone where overlapping outposts keep the streets almost devoid of zombies, though.

e: Encountered a scavenger from another survivor group who offered to share half the goods in exchange for help...in a completely empty thicket containing a single discarded duffel bag. I defended her while she quickly rifled through it and then stood around fidgeting for a couple minutes. :v:

e2: The duffel itself was empty, so I guess she extruded the several gallons of fuel she gave me as payment out of the air? I dunno.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 15, 2013

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
I just realized that this little black chick with corn rows that I've been playing as lately had this shirt on the whole time.

coyo7e posted:

It's surprisingly accurate. It's a "fun gun" more than anything, so not anything I'd carry concealed or whatever. Found a video of a dude who has a very similar setup. I'm not sure if its the video or the acoustics of where he's shooting, but mine seems a bit more quiet than that. I highly recommend this pistol if you're into plinking and like .22 handguns! The ammo is "cheap" and they're tons of fun.

Edit: Not jumping on your case, just replied before I saw people already reamed you about gun stuff. Also thanks for the combat guide, I think you just saved my rear end.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 15, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Sankis posted:

Doesn't Australia have an 18+ rating now? What's even holding them up? It's going to get a higher rating no matter what.
We do, which is the annoying part because it wasn't in effect when GTA4, Saints Row 2 and Max Payne 3 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I found a bunch of infestations back in the starting area and cleared them out, then the patch came, and I had to exit and start the game a few times. Nothing seems to be making the rest of my story missions happen though. :( I did get a random survivor who is a beast, she's a hunter (cardio,shooting, wits) and something I forget (shooting and fighting?) and a taxidermist (science and arts/crafts). It took her less than 20 minutes to level up everything and now I she is Marcus,s right-hand lady (Ed is his left-hand man). I only wish she had a sweep kick. She joined the group with the most useless survivor ever. He hated exercise, smoked, had bum knees and was an alcoholic so all his major skills were taking hits. Plus the bum knee said that crouching would drain his fatigue. Bye victor.

I noticed tonight that in the character skills (star) tab, if you check people who have an unusual one, like arts and crafts, they have un obtainable "specialist" skills, like "can sell you a painting (requires art galleries)" which I thought was very funny and spent valuable time flipping through everybody to read more.

I also found that the best time to deliberately kill a survivor is right after lily says one of the things to indicate zombie hordes are coming out. When they stumble into your traps it more than makes up for the dead friend morale hit.

I also learned that if you store too many cars in one area, someone will take one for a joyride and relocate it on the map. >:[ never to be found again, probably.

Lastly I'm still confused about real time vs game clocks. A couple of times when I turned the Xbox off and came back a couple hours later, a whole game day had gone by, traps needed redoing, plus cars were fixed and so on. But theyd also done that just a few hours before, when id started up the game then. And I know playing the game the cars weren't getting fixed in 24 hours game time. I wonder what is going on there.

Oh, a question, does individual survivor skills have an effect on their likelihood to come out ok from a rescue/hunt mission I don't want to do myself? It would be good if I could count on my high level guys being okay and the crappy ones dying because they're crappy. Currently I feel like I have to always respond to the ones with my strong characters because I don't want to lose them through negligence, and the crappy ones don't ever seem to die on those missions, just get hurt or run away.

• Locked thread