Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

RodShaft posted:

If that is a problem, it's a problem with society, little girls, and parents. Not Lego. I agree with a couple things in the last bits of her second video. I wish lego would have made the Friend's line more integrated with regular City. The doll minifigs are what keep me from buying them. Sweet pink and purple bricks!

It all comes down to what you introduce your kids to. I have a 5 year old daughter who got a gift of a sizeable Friends set for her recent birthday, and one rainy afternoon we broke it open and put it together. She really enjoyed building it, and I've always been a Lego fan. She did not play with the Friends set much after it was built.

A few weeks later we were at a toy store and I saw some of the Star Wars Lego. I bought the X-wing (not the UCC one) and again, she and I built it. She plays with the X-wing and the minifigs quite a bit because "Daddy it's a lot cooler", and I totally understand and respect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

xzzy posted:

I get that it was an adapt or die situation for Lego and I'm sympathetic to that, but they definitely also deserve criticism for the decision.

Fair enough.

Saltin posted:

It all comes down to what you introduce your kids to. I have a 5 year old daughter who got a gift of a sizeable Friends set for her recent birthday, and one rainy afternoon we broke it open and put it together. She really enjoyed building it, and I've always been a Lego fan. She did not play with the Friends set much after it was built.

A few weeks later we were at a toy store and I saw some of the Star Wars Lego. I bought the X-wing (not the UCC one) and again, she and I built it. She plays with the X-wing and the minifigs quite a bit because "Daddy it's a lot cooler", and I totally understand and respect that.

True, anecdotally, in my family, my dad collected the castle, I collected the space, and of my 3 sisters, one collected pirate sets, one collected the "girl" ones(I think Belville at the time), and one wanted nothing to do with lego. The one that collected the "girl" lego wanted nothing to do with any other lego. In fact Lego was one of the few things we didn't play much with each other. We would play house, Star Wars, Barbie, My little ponies and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with reckless Genderless abandon, but the only time we played lego together was from the big generic family box. I think that has more to do with us being possessive of our pieces than not wanting to mix girls, pirates, and space together.

But all anecdotal evidence aside, most boys like action toys, and most girls like dolls. I'd prefer if lego was more a generic construction toy like it was in the past, where you could invent good and bad guys, or have the diffrent factions work together to harvest space crystals, but genderizing Lego is what helped it survive, and allows it to sell like crazy now.

Edit: From a parental standpoint, I'd be more concerned with the steady increase in violence in the sets as opposed to the boy vs. girl segregated marketing.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 12, 2013

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Lego is CLEARLY a boy's toy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kumipallomaa/9006945072/

Everbody knows girls hate steampunk.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

RodShaft posted:

Edit: From a parental standpoint, I'd be more concerned with the steady increase in violence in the sets as opposed to the boy vs. girl segregated marketing.

But the two are inextricably linked. They boy-branded sets are focused more on conflict precisely to appeal to that half of the segregated market, while the girl-branded sets are based on some focus-grouped ideas of what girls like, which they decided excludes conflict.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

RodShaft posted:

My own anecdote on this: I was raised in a pacifist religious household so I was never allowed castle or pirate Lego (or even Space until I was older). This did absolutely nothing to stop me from being just as violent as I wanted. Antenna became swords, megaphones became guns, Technic gears became horrific torture instruments. Despite owning none of the actual minifigures, I had a fantastic ongoing Robin Hood-based theme where Prince John (a vaguely jabba-like fellow) and his drooling Prince Johnians constantly staged mass assaults on whatever castle or vehicle Robin Hood was currently occupying, always resulting in fantastic bloodbaths and dismembered minifigs everywhere.

In turn Robin Hood and his merry men killed and ate the Prince Johnians as primary source of food. I even built them a motorized factory with working conveyor belts that accepted a minifigure in one end and spit out a yellow brick 'bale' of food out the other.

My parents were totally oblivious to all of this.

On the other hand my son's Lego pile has all the Star Wars guns and Pirate/Castle weapons any kid could ever desire but he rarely uses them, preferring to make long elaborate plots based around humor and poop jokes instead.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My nieces only have Friends sets, and they build them, then leave them built and just use them as a little doll village. When they came up to visit me, they spent hours in my Lego room organizing my giant mixed box into my sorted bins. Then we built a microscale new york together and while i was at work they built my backyard out of lego. They asked what I did with my sets when I ran out of room on my shelves, and I said "I pick one and take it apart to make room." They couldn't believe I'd take a set apart. They were amazed that I had sets that were 3 times as old as they are.

Alternately, when my nephews visited they took all my minifigures and mixed up the pieces and armed them with whatever was laying around, then played "Lego Wars"

Both loved my Lego room for very different reasons.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

RodShaft posted:

My nieces only have Friends sets, and they build them, then leave them built and just use them as a little doll village. When they came up to visit me, they spent hours in my Lego room organizing my giant mixed box into my sorted bins. Then we built a microscale new york together and while i was at work they built my backyard out of lego. They asked what I did with my sets when I ran out of room on my shelves, and I said "I pick one and take it apart to make room." They couldn't believe I'd take a set apart.They were amazed that I had sets that were 3 times as old as they are.

Alternately, when my nephews visited they took all my minifigures and mixed up the pieces and armed them with whatever was laying around, then played "Lego Wars"

Both loved my Lego room for very different reasons.

:stonk: I only take my sets apart to clean them, but that's cause I'm a big baby I guess. I just got a new shelf built to display my sets :3: Im gonna have to get another to display more though. One shelf is all the vehicles and next shelf will be minifigs and smaller stuff. I ordered some stuff off bricklink to make a 11th doctor(lightsaber hilt and green transparent circular 1x1=sonic) and Daft Punk (and a bunch of bricks to try and make Alive 2007 pyramid)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only sets I keep assembled are a handful of collectables to show off what a lego nerd I am. :colbert:

Everything else gets disassembled and re-sorted after a few days.

Longest lived set I have is my vw bug, because gently caress putting that thing back together ever again.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

So. I like mechs, and I like LEGO. I also like money. So what's the solution, here?

LDD.

Oh sure, I've built a few mechs out of real Legos (which I can't seem to find the images for right now). But I like to build. And build. And build.
(Click for bigger, less artifacted)

Each of these mechs represents one of a squad of 7, of which I have built ten squads, each mech unique. You can see them here: http://imgur.com/a/tFb3D

Sometimes, I even render them in POV-ray.

8Bone Grenadiers - Model R4 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Asano's 308th Horses - Model S4 (POV) 02 by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Northern Lights Squad (Size 7) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

If anyone wants to see anything I've got in further detail, let me know! I love to get into this sort of thing or talk builds or whatever :)

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 13, 2013

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Captain Foo posted:

*a whole bunch of awesome stuff*

You remind me of one of my coworkers. He's always building little mechs when traffic's low and there's nothing to do around the store.

These are loving beautiful by the way, probably the best micro-scale mechs I've seen!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthraciteDragon posted:

You remind me of one of my coworkers. He's always building little mechs when traffic's low and there's nothing to do around the store.

These are loving beautiful by the way, probably the best micro-scale mechs I've seen!

Thanks, man. Asano's 308th Horses is actually the 11th squad and is currently WIP.

The Northern Lights and Ravens did get into a bit of a scrap a while back...

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Those mechs are fantastic. I didn't realize LDD was so flexible.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The rear end Stooge posted:

Thanks! LDD is pretty powerful, but it is quirky. The part rotation system is a pain in the rear end to get the hang of. There's also some constructions you can do in real life that LDD won't do, and of course vice versa. Nothing has any weight in LDD, so you can make designs that have way too much stress on a joint that wouldn't hold up, or force hinges to hold at angles they normally wouldn't be able to. I try to not do anything that looks too wacky, though.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

LDD is hella flexible, it just takes a bit of work to get things to look right.

This is one of the R-Types i made a while ago and i decided to try using pieces from most of the series(HF, Technic, System)

That's the substructure that everything is attached to, everything else pegs into there using technic connectors.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Asano's 308th Horses (Size 7) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Why has Sungnyemun been remowed from the Architecture page?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AzMiLion posted:

LDD is hella flexible, it just takes a bit of work to get things to look right.

This is one of the R-Types i made a while ago and i decided to try using pieces from most of the series(HF, Technic, System)

That's the substructure that everything is attached to, everything else pegs into there using technic connectors.

This is pretty cool stuff, I am not really that familiar with technic construction techniques.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It lives. :allears:

I opted to not replace the antenna (apparently the limit of my nostalgia is $15) and the blue slanted piece is the wrong one but I figured using a slightly wrong piece that's survived from my childhood was a little more authentic than getting the proper one off bricklink.

Also that robot has no business being part of the set, but I had it built so figured he could hang out.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

I opted to not replace the antenna (apparently the limit of my nostalgia is $15) and the blue slanted piece is the wrong one but I figured using a slightly wrong piece that's survived from my childhood was a little more authentic than getting the proper one off bricklink.

Also that robot has no business being part of the set, but I had it built so figured he could hang out.

Looks good! I'm still waiting for parts for my Mobile Rocket Launcher. I have a feeling I'll get it all together and not like some of the discolored pieces and have to order replacements.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the replacements I bought are in significantly better shape than my originals. It's been so long since I've been able to see through transparent yellow windows I had forgotten what it was like. I actually like the old dusty look a little better, though it does mean the model is a bit rickety.. the rocket engines love to fall off from the slightest tap.

My next project is to see if I can complete the beta-1 base. I know I have the printed bricks and the rail pieces, which I think would be expensive to replace. The flag and tv antenna are long gone from my bins though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

xzzy posted:

Owns. What is the correct blue slanted piece (assuming you mean the one with the logo)?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sloppy posted:

Owns. What is the correct blue slanted piece (assuming you mean the one with the logo)?

They made the same piece with two different versions of the space logo. The one in the photo I posted is the "small" version. The correct one for the set is a bit larger and almost completely fills the available space.

It's a really small difference but I figured if I didn't mention it some purist would pipe up and give me crap. :v:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

First part of series 11 supposedly. The snowman looks pretty cool but I'm not sure what that is he's supposed to be holding. Popsicle maybe?

Edit: Also the gingerbread man

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

ChesterJT posted:

First part of series 11 supposedly. The snowman looks pretty cool but I'm not sure what that is he's supposed to be holding. Popsicle maybe?

Edit: Also the gingerbread man

Welder dude is an instant must-have and probably gonna be easy to find too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The fembot is hilarious. Also, yeah, that welder is awesome :)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I know I can just order minifigs from Lego's website, but are there any brick-and-mortar stores besides Toys R Us that carry them? I looked for them when I was at Target yesterday but I couldn't find any.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

I know I can just order minifigs from Lego's website, but are there any brick-and-mortar stores besides Toys R Us that carry them? I looked for them when I was at Target yesterday but I couldn't find any.

Target has them. They'll likely be on an endcap and may or may not be with the Lego kits(but in the toy section), but at every Target I have checked I have eventually found the box. It's also right between series so an employee may have actually removed the empty box when they sold out. Only one of five Targets around my house has more than a handful of series 10 right now.

ltr fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 14, 2013

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

They're really hit or miss in most big box stores, but I've seen them in Walmart, Kmart, and Meijer. They're never in the same place and whether or not they're in stock is another story entirely.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

I have a weird obsession with yetis, and I have been dying to know what the LEGO minifig would look like. I am not in the least bit disappointed. :)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So there's a thing a Brickworld:

We're going tomorrow. Super excited.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

My wallet is crying, but that's amazing.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012
It's beautiful! Would this also be the largest footprint of any official set? 48 x 84 studs.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That scientist looks awesome, can't wait to set that up in the lab. :3:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That Yeti!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm headed to Brickworld tomorrow too.. leaving all my money at home.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30qZPIXEEHo

$320...

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

Wow, the first architecture set besides Robie House that is really awesome.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Babbys first build:

I made these little Daft Punk and a set :3: I used a different torso piece than some I've seen (I used Mutt's from Indiana Jones, so the movie wasn't completely worthless!

I still have some more pieces coming in, so right now they're just throwin down a remix of Yellow Submarine. I hope it's kinda cool at least for now :ohdear:

Readblood
Nov 9, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_1EjqxEVW8

The results of the newest CUUSOO review are out! — Mars Curiosity Rover!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

riversarl posted:

It's beautiful! Would this also be the largest footprint of any official set? 48 x 84 studs.

The Tower Bridge is about the same size but longer and narrower. Looks like an awesome set; wish I had a few hundred to splash out on Lego.