Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

It primarily has to do with the group at hand more than anything. I don't know how the hell you encourage that sort of creativity because everyone I play with tends to be really good at it.

So does my main group. That's my point. Some games get more out of them. I don't see how DW would do anything other than not get in their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Hey Fenarisk, any progress on this? I think it'd be perfect for one of my player.

I tinkered with it a bit but once again the mess of an organization I work for changed my position again and we got our 5th manager in 2 years, so I've been unable to do anything gaming related. However, I now have whole weekends off again so hopefully by the end of the month I'll have something a bit more final.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I've started on this new thing:

quote:

The Shade

Your name is life is lost to you. Names in general don’t seem to stick anymore. Choose what you are sometimes called:
Names: The Wanderer, The Stranger, The Outsider, The Nomad, The Crow, The Nameless...

Look:
Glowing Eyes, Haunted Eyes, or No Eyes
Pale Face, Gaunt Face, or Inscrutable Hood
Tattered Cloak, Faded Garb, or Swirling Silks
Black Blood, Domain Blood, or No Blood

Drive
You died before your time. Choose what keeps you bound to this world:

Duties Unfulfilled
Fulfil an obligation you held in life.

Vengeance on the Living
Take revenge on one who has wronged you.

My Precious
Recover something that was important to you.

Background
Choose how you died:

Drowned:
You died in panic and terror, clawing at your throat as water filled your lungs. Your domain is sea and storms.

Thirst:
You died alone in the blistering heat of the desert, miles from civilisation. Your domain is sand and wind.

Burned alive:
You died wracked with agony and seething with hatred. Your domain is fire and ash.

Murdered:
You died with vengeance on your lips, betrayed by someone you trusted. Your domain is shadow and blood.

Starting Moves:

Beyond Death
You are undead. You do not eat, drink, sleep, or breathe. Your true death has eluded you so far, but you can still be killed – you take damage and roll your Last Breath as normal.

Choose a physical attribute that marks your domain or how you died. It could be damp hair, sand instead of spittle, scorched skin, bloody tears, or something else. If it is particularly gruesome, you may need to hide it to pass among the living without issue.

Familiar Ground
Where you came from in life doesn’t matter anymore. Your domain represents who you are now. So long as you are within your domain, or near enough to it, take +1 ongoing.

The hazards of your domain can never harm you. You may hide flawlessly within any part of your domain (a shadow, a torch flame, a body of sand...), and emerge whenever you desire.

Advance moves:

Another Chance
The next time you fail your Last Breath, you stabilise instead of dying. Unmark this move. Someone else died in your place. You might have known them, but even if you did not, what remains of them will eventually find its way to you.

Possession
When you force yourself into the body of an unwilling subject, roll +WIS. On a hit, your physical form recedes into theirs, and you control them for a time. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9, both:
- You are only able to keep control for a few moments, enough for an action or two.
- Their mind fights back against yours – take d8 damage, ignoring armour.
On a 6-, you fail to take control, and the effort puts you in a spot.

Silent Stalker
You can move unseen and unheard through your domain. When you hide within some part of your domain, you may choose to emerge instead from another part within Near distance, bypassing obstacles and anything else in the way.

Cloaked in Death
You have a mantle, a manifestation of your domain that follows where you go (rain and thunder, a billowing sandstorm, a wreath of flame, a mess of shadowy tentacles, etc.). You may summon it whenever you wish, but it does not count as a part of your domain for the purpose of Familiar Ground. You may wield your mantle as a weapon with the tags reach and forceful.

Power in Death
Requires: Cloaked in Death
You are master of your domain, and it heeds your call. So long as you wear your mantle, you may wield your domain as weapon with the tags near, area, and forceful.

Stories Bones Tell
You can hear the dead, and the dead can hear you. When you attempt to speak with the physical or incorporeal remains of the dead, roll +WIS. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9, choose 2. On a 6, all 3:
- You only have time to ask a single question.
- Their responses are cryptic or confusing.
- You draw the attention of other, less cooperative dead in the area.

I have a few move ideas but figuring out what the starting ones should be is giving me hassle. Also I'm not sure if the domain idea is stupid. This whole idea could be stupid. Let me know!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Boing posted:

I've started on this new thing:

I have a few move ideas but figuring out what the starting ones should be is giving me hassle. Also I'm not sure if the domain idea is stupid. This whole idea could be stupid. Let me know!

It's definitely a cool idea for an interesting class, so much so I've been working on a compendium class with similar ideas. The Domains work pretty well and lend a lot of flavour to who the character is.

Perhaps have a starting move that's about bleakness - forcing your misery onto others, sapping their will to live or fight. You could make it more general, and inflict some kind of negative emotion - perhaps gain a bonus for inflicting an emotion related to your domain. Fear, Rage, Misery, etc.

Poisoned Heart
When you amplify the dark emotions related to your domain in another, roll+Wis. *on a 10+, choose 2. *On a 7-9, choose 1:

- They act rashly according to the emotion you have inflicted.
- You pin them with your gaze for a few moments.
- Their Dark Emotions run dangerously high, you may gain +D4 HP if you use Dark Channel on them, even on a miss.

You could also have a move that's about consuming the life-force of a living being to sustain or heal yourself. Perhaps feed on their negative emotions to bolster yourself.

Dark Channel
When you feed on the negative emotions of another related to your domain, roll+Wis (or Con). *On a hit, you siphon off the emotions, leaving them drained and healing yourself 1D4 HP. *On a 7-9, choose 1:

- They temporarily go mad.
- You are compelled to act on the Dark Emotions you have consumed.

For Another Chance, I'd say if you're going to remove the roll, make it so that the player has to take the more interesting option, and that Death makes them an offer without a roll. They lose the chance of getting off scott free, you introduce a complication, but they don't die - this time. Perhaps give the move trigger a more conditional trigger so they can use it more than once, but it always has a heavy price.

Another Chance (A)
When you offer Death the soul of someone you love instead of your own, instead of rolling for Last Breath, Death offers you a Deal as per the 7-9 result.

Another Chance (B)
When you offer Death a piece of your own Soul, instead of rolling for Last Breath, you lose some precious memories (up to 6XP) and Death offers you a Deal as per the 7-9 result.

You could even have one of these as an advance, letting you choose between sacrificing XP or the soul of someone you love. Both are very dark choices, and while losing XP (Or max HP) are heavy mechanical costs, the soul of a loved one is a real fictional kick in the guts!

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I have a question about The Sky Dancer. A couple of the moves say "On a 7+" and then say "On a 7-9." Am I just being dumb or is this the same thing? Like, it'll say "on a 7+ deal your damage, On a 7-9 blah blah," so couldn't it just say "On a 7-9 you deal your damage but..."? Also I am noticing there are no 10+ options for some of these...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm a terrible person that only just got Dungeon World and haven't even played it yet, but the urge to tinker with it and make classes/compendium classes is too much. And the melee/tough classes seem to be missing something. Something... :darksouls:

Stalwart: Compendium Class

When you willingly take a grievous wound to vanquish a fearsome foe, you can take the following move on your next advance:

See Death Coming: When you attempt to parry a foe's blow against you, roll +STR. On a 10+, their blow is turned aside, and you deal your damage +1d6. On a 7-9, you avoid being struck, but choose one:
- the attack is turned towards an ally
- you are disarmed by the strength of their attack
- you are put dangerously off-balance
On a 6-, your attempt to parry has gone horribly wrong. You take damage from the attack, and your foe may make another move against you.

Once you’ve taken See Death Coming, the following moves count as class moves for you. In addition to your normal list of moves, you may choose from this list when you level up.

Good Luck, I'm Behind a Shield: When you use the Defend move to defend yourself with a shield, you now gain the following option: 'Negate the attack's effect or damage'. Note that this cannot be used to defend an ally or other object from attack, only yourself.

Round Two: When you face a foe that is familiar to you, take +1 ongoing. This bonus applies to 'my hated nemesis Thomas', or to 'those goblins that captured us and locked us up', but does not apply, e.g., to goblins in general simply because you have faced goblins in past.

Light the Bonfire: When you Make Camp by a comforting fire, you regain all of your HP.

Grossly Incandescent: When you inspire your allies to decisive action, roll +CHA. On a 10+, you are a beacon, like a magnificent father, and grant your allies +1 ongoing to completing the task as long as you lead them in it. On a 7-9, as above, but they take +1 forward instead of +1 ongoing.

---

How did I do on a first attempt?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Overemotional Robot posted:

I have a question about The Sky Dancer. A couple of the moves say "On a 7+" and then say "On a 7-9." Am I just being dumb or is this the same thing? Like, it'll say "on a 7+ deal your damage, On a 7-9 blah blah," so couldn't it just say "On a 7-9 you deal your damage but..."? Also I am noticing there are no 10+ options for some of these...

On a 10+, only the 7+ option happens. On a 7-9, the 7-9 option also happens. It's a way to stop repetition.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

That is really confusing to me for some reason. Maybe I'm just having a really slow brain day.

Edit: Actually now I get it, but wow, not seeing the 10+ is really throwing my silly brain.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Neater language is to say "On a hit, you deal your damage. On a 7-9, also choose one:" Technically it means the same thing but fits in the mind much neater.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I actually switched off of "on a hit" and "on a miss" terminology entirely, in favor of using "on a 7+" and "on a 6-". I made this change for every Inverse World playbook, because I kept having new players ask "what counts as a miss" and "what counts as a hit." Continually answering "it's when you get a 7+/6-" seems really stupid when I can literally just write exactly that on the sheet. It was a conscious decision.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
On a hit is pretty bad. They both end up difficult to read since once read the core classes you start to expect it to be a 10/7-9/6 rundown, so you stumble when you realize it isn't that way, but it's better to have it clear than be vague. There's also nothing clear in the book that states that's how those work since none of the base classes have half-on moves like that, so using anything like that will cause people to trip up on it even if you specify the numbers.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I wonder why they don't use "on a hit" in the core book? All I can think of is that they don't want to contradict moves that are like "on a 6- your thing happens, but you might regret it", but I can't remember if moves like that are even in the core book.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Because enforcing the idea of 'hits' and 'misses' isn't a very good idea when the very concepts of hitting and missing are supposed to be thrown out the window here. The two attack basic moves are the only thing 'misses' can really be applied to properly, and even then it's pretty iffy.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

madadric posted:

Neater language is to say "On a hit, you deal your damage. On a 7-9, also choose one:" Technically it means the same thing but fits in the mind much neater.

Or, same number of characters, "On a 10+, you deal your damage. On a 7-9, also choose one:"

I'd probably put "you still deal your damage, but" after "On a 7-9", though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KillerQueen posted:

I wonder why they don't use "on a hit" in the core book?

They do. Parley, Outstanding Warrants and the Ranger's Observant move all use "on a hit" to mean "on a 7+."

It's not super common but it's there.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Heart Attacks posted:

I'd probably put "you still deal your damage, but" after "On a 7-9", though.

This is probably the neatest way of expressing it. I used similar language in a lot of the fool's moves to express the class' bungling nature.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Played my first game of this last night. This was a 9-player (!) game, including the GM. Luckily DW seems to cater to fuckoff huge groups, as long as no one is allowed to talk over anyone else and the GM goes around the table. I was really impressed by the simple elegance of it, and uh, it just kind of is what Mike Mearls says he wants 5E to be. A 9-player D&D game in any edition would be a massive nightmare and this was actually fun, even when half the players were just simpleton murderhobos.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
unzealous - I'd really love to use your Metamorph in an upcoming game I'm running, would you mind if I went ahead and made it into a proper playbook pdf? I promise to make it look good.

madadric posted:

It's definitely a cool idea for an interesting class, so much so I've been working on a compendium class with similar ideas. The Domains work pretty well and lend a lot of flavour to who the character is.

Perhaps have a starting move that's about bleakness - forcing your misery onto others, sapping their will to live or fight. You could make it more general, and inflict some kind of negative emotion - perhaps gain a bonus for inflicting an emotion related to your domain. Fear, Rage, Misery, etc.

I actually had an associated emotion for each background as well, at first. Drowned was Terror, Thirst was Despair, Burned Alive was Madness, and Murdered was Hatred or Fury. But it seemed cumbersome to have backgrounds that were a cause of death and an elemental domain and an associated emotion, I thought that would be a little excessive for an option and I couldn't figure out how to word it elegantly. Unless you have some ideas?

I like your move ideas a lot, especially the Another Chance rewrite. Will play with them when I next get some writing time.

My favourite fun part of DW is the world-building, and my games seem to stall a bit once our world is fully fleshed out and the heroes are travelling around on a known map rather than coming up with new and exciting and weird things around them that they can visit. My new idea for a campaign is to stretch out the world-building by having the PCs be time-travelling bounty hunters or something, who are constantly on the move and hopping from setting to setting, perhaps in pursuit of a similarly time-travelling big bad or trying to escape from some time-travelling pursuers of their own (the bounty hunting agency, whatever). I'm picturing this to be more Chrono Trigger than Doctor Who, with a world that retains some similarities and some interesting differences when you revisit the same place in different time periods, so the players can still world-build within constraints, because I think that can be more surprising and interesting. But similarly if they want to do a totally balls-off-the-wall Doctor Who crazy monster-of-the-week, never-the-same-place-twice adventure, they'll end up doing that. Or a mix of the two. Currently working on thinking of a hook, but does the basic idea sound plausible? Or would it quickly get tiresome? What do you all think?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
World of Dungeons refers to rounds and "going first," but doesn't seem to have anything about initiative or rounds defined. So... uh... what do?

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Boing posted:

unzealous - I'd really love to use your Metamorph in an upcoming game I'm running, would you mind if I went ahead and made it into a proper playbook pdf? I promise to make it look good.

By all means, I'd be delighted to see how it looks. I'm just glad people are having as much fun playing it as I had making it. And a thanks to everyone in the thread who helped review and critique it.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Coming back to the 7+, 10+ thing, my player noticed the Sky Dancer's Escape Route move still has a 10+. I guess it's that way because the 10+ and 7-9 options are actually different, instead of both things happening?

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 13, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Coming back to the 7+, 10+ thing, my player noticed the Sky Dancer's Escape Route move still has a 10+. I guess it's that way because the 10+ and 7-9 options are actually different, instead of both things happening?

A lot of the moves still have 10+ results. I didn't replace 10+ with 7+, I replaced "on a hit" with "on a 7+." So when a move has different things happening on a 7-9 and on a 10+, I keep the regular terminology.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Boing posted:

I actually had an associated emotion for each background as well, at first. Drowned was Terror, Thirst was Despair, Burned Alive was Madness, and Murdered was Hatred or Fury. But it seemed cumbersome to have backgrounds that were a cause of death and an elemental domain and an associated emotion, I thought that would be a little excessive for an option and I couldn't figure out how to word it elegantly. Unless you have some ideas?

I like your move ideas a lot, especially the Another Chance rewrite. Will play with them when I next get some writing time.

I can think of three ways you could make it work - well, 2 and a half. One of which you've already done most of the time.

The first two ways would look like this:

Drowned
You died in panic and terror, clawing at your throat as water filled your lungs. Your domain is sea and storms.

Drowned
You died in panic and terror, clawing at your throat as water filled your lungs. Your domain is terror, sea, and storms.

The other method is to make it a simple separate move, or just leave it as "any negative emotion"

Scarred Soul
Your death has left scars on your soul, binding you to a particular Dark Emotion that consumed you at death. at character creation, choose one:

Terror, Rage, Sorrow, Loneliness, Misery.

Poisoned Heart
When you amplify the dark emotions related to your scarred soul in another, roll+Wis. *on a 10+, choose 2. *On a 7-9, choose 1:

- They act rashly according to the emotion you have inflicted.
- You pin them with your gaze for a few moments.
- Their Dark Emotions run dangerously high, you may gain +D4 HP if you use Dark Channel on them, even on a miss.

Dark Channel
When you feed on the negative emotions of another related to your scarred soul, roll+Wis (or Con). *On a hit, you siphon off the emotions, leaving them drained and healing yourself 1D4 HP. *On a 7-9, choose 1:

- They temporarily go mad.
- You are compelled to act on the Dark Emotions you have consumed.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
So I'm running a program at my local library to teach young teenagers how to play RPG's and I'm running Dungeon World. I typed up this quick thing for them to refer to when they make a character.

quote:

MAKING A CHARACTER

I WANT TO:
Design my own weapon: FIGHTER
Cast spells and shoot fireballs: WIZARD
Be sneaky: THIEF
Shoot enemies and have a little buddy: RANGER
Heal allies and fight zombies: CLERIC
Buff allies and sing songs: BARD
Turn into a big animal: DRUID
Exterminate evil: PALADIN
Anything else: MAKE IT UP (within reason)

STEP 1: Think about what your character is like, where he’s from, who his friends are, etc. They don’t have to be a human/elf/whatever, let your imagination run wild. Be a lizard person, a sentient weasel, a hyper-intelligent shade of blue, whatever.
STEP 2: Make sure Step 1 makes sense. If you can convince everyone, keep going.
STEP 3: Pick/make up a class, pick a starting move, and pick your items. Try and plan ahead and look at what your character can learn.
STEP 4: Write down your stats, we’re just going to go with the basics for now. You’re going to add to one each level anyway. Remember the +2, +1, etc. You use these stats for your moves.

Remember:
1) How many sides are on your damage die.
2) How much HP you have.
3) All your basic moves.
4) Messing up can be a good thing.
5) Any idea is a good one if you can convince me that it is.

Yes? No? Add? Subtract?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Silentman0 posted:

So I'm running a program at my local library to teach young teenagers how to play RPG's and I'm running Dungeon World. I typed up this quick thing for them to refer to when they make a character.

Yes? No? Add? Subtract?
This seems to be making character creation more complicated than it needs to be. How many players are you expecting to have? If it's more than just a couple you're setting yourself up to have a bit of a bottleneck on your input. If they're new to gaming I'd say just let them fill out the sheets and then go for that creativity you're trying to encourage at the table by Asking Questions.

What I did for character creation was print out a copy of each playbook and then also a copy of each class's blurb from the front of the book, cut the blurbs out, and just left them sitting on top of the playbooks on the table. Then the players can just mingle around the table, pick up something that looks interesting, and read the text to get a feel for what the playbook is all about.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What are the players supposed to do when they go with "MAKE IT UP," write 30 moves on the spot?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 14, 2013

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Silentman0 posted:

Yes? No? Add? Subtract?
I'd add some more color based on established tropes and media references.

Also, tone down the wacky and the choices, I'd tell them to pick from the character sheet to speed things up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, in my experiences, young players really aren't that interested in being the spiritual embodiment of concept of art, or a fast-talking goat used car salesman/salesgoat (these are both characters I've played with), they want to be Captain America or Hercules or Harry Potter. In other words, people drawn from popular fiction, which overwhelmingly leans human, at least in appearance. If someone really wants to be a light elemental-slash-cowboy I guess you could let them, but prompting that really isn't showcasing the strength of RPGs, which is collaborative story-telling, and you should emphasize that over the [generally short-lived] humor of wacky.

I also definitely suggest removing the "make up a class!" option since the entire reason RPGs have classes and rules is to create specific experiences and facilitate roleplaying. Making up classes on the spot can lead to really hosed up balance, especially in a freeform game like Dungeon World where there really aren't hard number templates for making moves like there are with powers in 4e.

The "if you want to do X, pick Y!" thing seems good to me though, but maybe relate each to a character people might know.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Also, in my (admittedly limited) storygaming experience, it's the limiting of choice that engenders the most creativity. Removing the "Anything you want" option helps kickstart the brain somehow.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jonthegm posted:

Also, in my (admittedly limited) storygaming experience, it's the limiting of choice that engenders the most creativity. Removing the "Anything you want" option helps kickstart the brain somehow.

I think we sort of assume that children are endlessly creative, and that the cold, harsh vampire of adulthood sucks the creative blood from our collective necks. But really, kids usually aren't particularly creative, they're just more spontaneous. If you watch kids play pretend they're almost always following tropes from various media (or just straight-up acting as characters they love from games or movies). Which is totally fine, I'm not trying to say that I'm a big cool creative adult and all kids are posers, just that things like full class or race creation are things that you should leave up to people who have experience and can think critically about how their creations will impact the game.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
I'm actually trying to find a list of instantly relate-able examples of the Classes from modern pop culture film & tv.

It's kind of hard: most sites focus on literary references (Beowulf & Galahad).

For example, Jedi for Paladins?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Thanks for the input. I wasn't too concerned about the "make a new class" option because it doesn't have to be super-balanced, but if something can fit into one of the existing classes, I'll tell them to use that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

I wasn't too concerned about the "make a new class" option because it doesn't have to be super-balanced

It's not really a question of balance, it's the fact that writing even a level 1 set of options for a new class (one race, one alignment, 3-4 starting moves, you'll probably want a couple of advances if you plan on letting them level at all) takes significantly more time and effort than just 10 minutes.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
The Thief's specialty isn't 'being sneaky' and they have a grand total of about one advanced move that lets them be sneaky. They're dirty fighters and dashing rogues, not sneaky assassins that dart through the shadows. If someone says they want to be sneaky, let them know that every class can do that and that it shouldn't impact their choice. The bard also isn't about singing by default at all. Depending on the age of the kids you're handling, either use "uses the arts" or just "uses (magic) music", with the magic bit being optional depending on how you want to show them it.

What you should do is play up to the strong suit of the base classes: they're very malleable and can represent a shitload of different characters all while fitting fine within how the starting moves work. New players can and will lock up and go "uh... I don't know, I want to be a cool X" if you tell them to just go flat out freeform with it. Just offer the base classes and try to make a big point of how your super general summaries there really are basically the classes in a nutshell. If their idea fits even remotely within that concept, they can work just fine with that class.

Basically, you're going to overload them if you toss them a complete freeform option because they're going to want to pick that without knowing anything about the DW move structure and it's going to be hell to help them properly flesh out their idea. If you want to later make a bigger deal about the cool things they do that aren't on their character sheets, write new moves for them to codify these cool things and give them to them to encourage this cool and fun behavior.

As for pop-culture, when preparing for a superhero DW game I plan on getting together soon I thought of a really good example I hadn't even kind of thought of before: Superman is a Paladin. Aside from Lay on Hands (as with most Paladin examples because LoH is really specific D&D stuff), it all fits really well. He even gets to be invulnerable to stuff when he sets out to protect people. Other than that, I had Catwoman as a Thief with a superpower that lets her have her bonkers cat agility, Beast Boy as a Druid for very obvious reasons, Wonder Woman as a Fighter with her signature lasso, and a few others outside the base classes like Batman as an Artificer, Iron Man as a Mechanic, or Hulk as a Giant. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an iconic superhero for each and every class, given the ridiculously huge pool to grab from.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
There's a disconnect between your prompt for the Fighter and your prompt for the other classes. The prompt for the Fighter is about what the player can do - design a weapon - whereas the prompt for the other classes is what the character can do.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, I've been thinking up some racial moves for a Dungeon World Eberron conversion. I haven't got anything written down yet but I'll be posting some of them once I get back home. In the meantime I'd like to share one of the ideas I had for Alignment in Eberron.

In Eberron Alignment actually isn't that big a deal. What matters more is your political and/or religious affiliation. Based on this idea I've been thinking that for my Dungeon World Eberron hack I'd try to replace each class's Alignments with something more appropriate to the setting. For an example, Clerics would have Religion instead of Alignment, whereas Druids would have Order instead of Alignment, etc. However, beyond those two obvious cases, I haven't got anything. What sorts of not-Alignment affiliations could I use to replace, say, a Fighter's or a Thief's Alignments?

Beyond those, there are going to be regional moves that players can replace standard racial moves with to accentuate the fact that, say, an Elf Wizard from Aerenal is a different deal from a standard Elf Wizard, as is a Halfling Druid from the Talenta Plains. Obviously I won't cover each corner case, but the ones most relevant to Eberron. Also, racial moves for Shifters, Changelings and Warforged are a thing, but I'm struggling with the Kalashtar, since they're so reliant on the existence of psionics, which are absent from the DW core.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Have a look at the classes (e.g. The City Thief) posted in the OP, where people have started using Drives instead of Alignments.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ratpick posted:

In Eberron Alignment actually isn't that big a deal. What matters more is your political and/or religious affiliation. Based on this idea I've been thinking that for my Dungeon World Eberron hack I'd try to replace each class's Alignments with something more appropriate to the setting. For an example, Clerics would have Religion instead of Alignment, whereas Druids would have Order instead of Alignment, etc. However, beyond those two obvious cases, I haven't got anything. What sorts of not-Alignment affiliations could I use to replace, say, a Fighter's or a Thief's Alignments?

Like UrbanLabyrinth said, there are drives which a lot of the DW homebrewers and self-publishers here have moved towards, but if you're looking for affiliations:

Fighters - Military (with the player choosing which nation's armed forces he served as a part of during the Last War), Mercenary (again, choosing which group you worked for, such as a Dhakaani mercenary company or perhaps House Deneith), and House Guard where you're a member of a Dragonmarked House's own private soldiery (doesn't require you to have a Mark of your own, choose which House).

Thief - There are several prominent criminal organizations in Eberron although not all of them are precisely world-spanning. You have the Boromar Clan which is basically the halfling mafia, you have Daask which is a criminal group comprised of "monstrous races" being backed by the fledgling nation of Droaam, there are the Tyrants which is a group of changelings that specialize in information brokerage and espionage, and of course there's House Tarkanan which is comprised of spies and assassins for hire, all of whom bear an aberrant Dragonmark. The problem is that these are pretty much all based in and around Sharn by default. But if that's cool then there you go. And you could also have an "Independent" option too for those who don't like any of those affiliations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The thing about alignment in DW is you have to consider it as a condition that's sometimes fulfilled, the result being the character gaining XP. Doesn't matter what you write them as, be it a good/evil/chaos/order scale alignment, or as a personal motivation like the new-style "Drives", or as some kind of affiliation with a religion or organization. The limit on it isn't any of those things, the limit is that it must be a condition the character can satisfy at End Of Session to gain XP.

That's the main reason why people tend to put affiliation in as racial-replacements rather than alignment-replacements, but I suppose if you find the right wording either is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

TheDemon posted:

The thing about alignment in DW is you have to consider it as a condition that's sometimes fulfilled, the result being the character gaining XP. Doesn't matter what you write them as, be it a good/evil/chaos/order scale alignment, or as a personal motivation like the new-style "Drives", or as some kind of affiliation with a religion or organization. The limit on it isn't any of those things, the limit is that it must be a condition the character can satisfy at End Of Session to gain XP.

That's the main reason why people tend to put affiliation in as racial-replacements rather than alignment-replacements, but I suppose if you find the right wording either is possible.

Yeah, that's a really good point, and looking at some of my notes I now realize that some of the racial moves I've written actually blur the lines between affiliation-based moves to the extent where having affiliation-as-alignment separately would be problematic with certain classes in the sense of painting the player into a corner conceptually (I'm mostly looking at the Cleric here and what I'd written for Aerenali Elves and those affiliated with the Undying Court). So, it's back to the drawing board with my alignment-replacements, but I'm ready to present some of my racial moves. Please critique and be as brutally honest as you can, this is the first time I've designed anything for DW beyond a couple of campaign moves.

Aerenali Cleric: Life in a society that reveres the dead has focused your faith towards communing with the dead. Speak With The Dead is a rote for you.

Aerenali Wizard: You are magically attuned to your ancestors. When you prepare spells you also prepare a special version of Contact Spirits as a cantrip that allows you to contact one named ancestor. Name them and tell us who they were in life.

Changeling Fighter: You can naturally take the form of any humanoid creature of at least halfling-size and up to human size. When you use your shapeshifting to unnerve or intimidate an opponent, take +1 forward against that opponent.

Changeling Thief: You can naturally take the form of any humanoid creature of at least halfling-size and up to human size. When you use your shapeshifting to distract or deceive someone, take +1.

Shifter Druid: Your lycanthropic blood brings you closer to the beast within. You may always take the shape of the animal appropriate to your lycanthropic ancestry (choose one) as well as a hybrid form that is half human half animal.

Talenta Halfling Druid: You feel the call of the great behemoths of the plains in your blood. In addition to any other attunements, Talenta Plains are always considered your land. [this is basically in order to allow Druids that turn into dinosaurs]

Warforged Fighter: Your body is a weapon with the Close tag. In addition to this, your signature weapon is grafted into your body, meaning that you can never be parted from your weapon short of having the limb it's grafted onto physically separated from you.

A few notes: All Changelings will have the same racial move, i.e. the ability to take on different humanoids forms, but the other part of your racial move will depend upon your class. So, as you can see above, the Changeling Fighter's move is more clearly geared towards combat, while the Thief's move gives the Changeling a bonus when they use their shapeshifting to trigger a move in order to distract or deceive someone (which could be anything from Defying Danger to Parley and so on). This is not to say that a Changeling Fighter couldn't use shapeshifting to trigger said moves (because moves are triggered by the fiction and changing your appearance dramatically is something going on very clearly in the fiction), but they wouldn't have the Thief's edge towards it.

Secondly, Warforged: I'm currently of the mind that, like in 4e, Warforged will just wear armor which will then just be described as armor plating of the appropriate type. I at first toyed with the idea of having the Warforged Fighter's move be something that'd replace the Fighter's Armored Move, but then thought against it when I realized that giving the Warforged Fighter a natural armor bonus wouldn't work all that well mechanically.

I also had a Shifter Fighter (because apparently everyone needs a Fighter move) and Shifter Ranger move written down, but having looked at them I decided they weren't all that. For the Shifter Ranger I'd like to do something that relates to their lycanthropic ancestry and strengthens their bond with their Animal Companion, but I'm at a loss as to how to do it. For the Shifter Fighter... I don't even know. I'd like to do something that sort of relates to shifting, but the exact way to pull it off I have no idea of.