Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone have any idea as how I could go around pruning a save? For some reason whats the save clocks past 78mb in size its unplayable in singleplayer on either of my gaming computers. My friend with a much more powerful computer only slightly notices any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Shade2142 posted:

Is it a good idea to create all the titles you can? I own most of scandinavia and have made Kingdom of Denmark, Sweden and Norway; but I just keep them on my character. I have about 14 duchies+Kingdom of Finland I can create.

One more question:

If my heir is thrown in jail for plotting against me, can he still inherit titles when I die while he's in prison?

Always create duchies. The new technology system doesn't function below the ducal level.

Kingdoms are often personal preference, but I like handing them out. I like having fewer, stronger vassals to deal with since they can expand my realm better than weak vassals and it's easier to leverage your chancellor and spymaster against like 3 people rather than 15.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Giving away kingdoms isn't exactly optimal, but yeah, I do it as well since it cuts down on micromanagement.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Morol posted:

Is there a mod that make the AI not move their capital around too much. Seeing the Abbasids ruled from some desolate place in Arabia and not Baghdad is pretty silly.

Often this is due to successful rebellions for a King (or Emperor) title - these don't include a claim on the natural capital of that de jure kingdom or empire, so the new king rules from his personal demense.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

jpmeyer posted:

Always create duchies. The new technology system doesn't function below the ducal level.

Kingdoms are often personal preference, but I like handing them out. I like having fewer, stronger vassals to deal with since they can expand my realm better than weak vassals and it's easier to leverage your chancellor and spymaster against like 3 people rather than 15.

Oh, wow, that's useful to know. I'd better start creating some of those 38 titles I've got pending then, I had no idea there was anything wrong with just not creating duchies to ensure that rebellions were as fractured as possible.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

As the Byzantine emperor, what's the worst that could happen if I gave the Varangian Guard a county or two?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

How do I take concubines from foreign courts? I've spotted a young and quick Orthodox girl, and I'm hoping she can give my current Fylkir the male heir that his Empress (and concubine Spymaster) can't.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

How do I take concubines from foreign courts?
The quickest way is to find a nice pagan girl and ask her liege for her to become your concubine via the interactions menu.

To get the specific person you've spotted, though, you'd have to go besiege land owned by her liege and hope to capture her in the random imprisonments you get after successfully completing a siege.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Holy Roman Empire has ceased to exist in my current CK2+ game. What was the likely cause of its death? The last HREmperor seems to have been a Norwegian Yngling and current duke of Vestlandet, but he lost the HRE crown eight years ago and doesn't even have a legacy claim on it anymore.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

The Holy Roman Empire has ceased to exist in my current CK2+ game. What was the likely cause of its death? The last HREmperor seems to have been a Norwegian Yngling and current duke of Vestlandet, but he lost the HRE crown eight years ago and doesn't even have a legacy claim on it anymore.

Iirc, Empire titles dissolve entirely in CK2+ if they drop below a certain holding threshhold.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AfroSquirrel posted:

How do I take concubines from foreign courts? I've spotted a young and quick Orthodox girl, and I'm hoping she can give my current Fylkir the male heir that his Empress (and concubine Spymaster) can't.

Invite them to you court first, or go siege down whatever castle they are in and hope the RNG lets you take them by force.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

Iirc, Empire titles dissolve entirely in CK2+ if they drop below a certain holding threshhold.

I confess I hadn't been paying much attention to there, but last I had checked, the HRE had lost Italy and that was it. Everything else was still loyal.

Maybe... since the last emperor was a Norwegian, could there have been a mass-independence revolt of the German dukes, leaving the remnant-HRE below the holding threshold and triggering its dissolution that way?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My wife, a Swedish petty Queen, has just done a prepared invasion of Persia. Norse Persia is now a thing. I'm tempted to switch characters and play as her for a bit.

Also I'm playing CK2+ with that hotfix posted earlier and somehow myself (king of Rus) and all my dukes are on agnatic primogeniture despite being unreformed Norse. I have no idea how this has happened, but it is a very convenient bug.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

marktheando posted:

My wife, a Swedish petty Queen, has just done a prepared invasion of Persia. Norse Persia is now a thing. I'm tempted to switch characters and play as her for a bit.

Also I'm playing CK2+ with that hotfix posted earlier and somehow myself (king of Rus) and all my dukes are on agnatic primogeniture despite being unreformed Norse. I have no idea how this has happened, but it is a very convenient bug.
That's...:psyduck: Did you use rivers? Is there a river route that gets down near there?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What is the best (preferably video) introduction to playing CKII? I'm trying the in-game tutorial and it's still a bit confusing navigating the menus and having a feel for what I am supposed to be doing to advance.

I'd appreciate it!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

That's...:psyduck: Did you use rivers? Is there a river route that gets down near there?

Yes, there is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

Yup. My wife got most of her forces wiped out so I sent 20,000 men to help out. But then my fleet got stuck in the Caspian sea- I couldn't move it at all and had to disband it. It was weird.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Strudel Man posted:

The Caspian Sea is treated as a River, and there's some Russian river that connects it to the Baltic, IIRC.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wiz has just uploaded the latest version of CK2+ that will work with the latest patch, and will be out on vacation for three weeks. Cheers Wiz, and thanks again! :)

Link as always: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?587854-CK2Plus-Balance-improvements-more-kingdoms-and-empires-more-ambitions-and-plots

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Actually it wasn't Persia, I misremembered from last night. It was actually that kingdom to the north of it. Sadly they had a civil war in the middle of my wife's invasion so she didn't get the whole place. I wonder how long she will manage to keep hold of it.

Also I didn't notice until taking that screenshot that her mother is my cousin. That would explain why two of our kids are ugly.

toasterwarrior posted:

Wiz has just uploaded the latest version of CK2+ that will work with the latest patch, and will be out on vacation for three weeks. Cheers Wiz, and thanks again! :)

Link as always: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?587854-CK2Plus-Balance-improvements-more-kingdoms-and-empires-more-ambitions-and-plots

:toot:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Looking to start a new game as I pretty much ran out of things to do in my current run as the doge of Amalfi... Any suggestions on how to win the war of the two Eriks as Erik the Heathen in 1066? The other one's army is more than twice your size and that's before Denmark and Norway decide to join. Alternatively I'm also looking for a way to survive getting declared holy war on within the first year as the emir of Sicily. :argh:

Also, having the pope as your vassal is apparently something you can do.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

toasterwarrior posted:

CK2+ Changelog posted:

- Added Jewish holy sites

Yessssss :getin:

Avalerion posted:

Looking to start a new game as I pretty much ran out of things to do in my current run as the doge of Amalfi... Any suggestions on how to win the war of the two Eriks as Erik the Heathen in 1066? The other one's army is more than twice your size and that's before Denmark and Norway decide to join. Alternatively I'm also looking for a way to survive getting declared holy war on within the first year as the emir of Sicily. :argh:

Start from the William the Conqueror Scenario. Denmark and Norway aren't immediately allied with Sweden, and Uppland starts out independent. Expand a bit into Norrland and wait for Norway and Sweden to go to war over Viken, then reap your crown from the chaos :black101:

beefart fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 15, 2013

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

New comp patch. Now compatible with the latest version of CK2+.

me posted:

Better Armies Thread

Changelog
Version 1.21
-Made compatible with 1.11 patch
-Added CK2Plus Compatibility

DOWNLOAD
Better Armies v1.21 CK2 Plus Alternate Download
Better Armies v1.21 Vanilla Alternate Download

INSTALL:
1)Download Better Armies version of your choice (CK2Plus or Vanilla)
2)Delete any previous version of Better Armies
3)Unzip into your "Crusader Kings 2/mod" folder

TO PLAY:
1)Enable "[Required]Better Armies CK2Plus" or "[Required] Better Armies Vanilla"
2)If playing with CK2Plus, then enable "[Required]CK2+ 2.01.2" and any modules that you like
3)Enjoy!

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not quite sure what happened in my game, but pretty borders have died a horrible death. I started as the Sorbs before forming the Wendish Empire and the image was taken at year 1044.

Europe has always been a clusterfuck because everyone is a Karling. I think at one point the King of Bavaria held most of the Karling titles, but a quick stab and gavelkind took care of that. The orange/yellow in Sicily, Germany, and Croatia are the remnants of the Byzantine Empire, which fell apart after the Shia kingdom in purple won a bunch of holy wars I'm guessing. They held on to bits of Croatia and Crimea before getting to where they are now, having just recently pressed the Emperor's son's claim to the German throne and winning.

The Norse managed to form the Kingdom of Rus and held onto it for a while but gavelkind along with me warring for parts reduced it to a one province minor. There are still a few Norse rulers in Scandinavia but I think the highest title they still own is the red duchy in Denmark; none of Ragnar's sons really did anything important. The Magyars never settled down and got gobbled up by several nations which was helped along by the Seljuk invasion.

I still have about 400 years left, but I'm expecting for borders to get worse because the Shia seem to be holy warring their way across Europe.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ofaloaf posted:

I found out yesterday that the Byzantine Empire will dissolve itself if the ruler isn't Christian. It's possible the HRE is set up the same way, since they both have similar religious overtones.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Zurai posted:

I found out yesterday that the Byzantine Empire will dissolve itself if the ruler isn't Christian. It's possible the HRE is set up the same way, since they both have similar religious overtones.
The game was a 1091 start, so Norway was already Christianized and the Ynglings were all Catholics.

Amusingly, I checked out England and found out it's ruled by the FitzRichard dynasty, founded by Richard 'the Bastard' and illegitimate grandson of William the Bastard. I'm hoping that future English ruling dynasties have similar origins, leading to a period of English history that could be called "Bastardized England".

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Crossposting from the Paradox forums:

Had a weird bug playing as Seljuk Sultanate, their CoA has changed mid-game. Can reproduce it as follows:

- On the new game screen, select the Seljuk Sultanate, note their CoA.
- Now select another ruler, then select the Seljuk Sultanate again.
=> The CoA has now changed.

This is with CK2+ 2.01.2, no other mods installed, none of the optional modules enabled.

Vanilla works fine - anyone else encountered this problem?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

In Girl Power, are female monarchs able to start a grand tournament? I'm using an older mod.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Well, I'm sure this can't get any more insane and incohere-

:suicide:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
:getin:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I wish there was some way to send somebody to try and make people fall to heresy. Like, a Court Heretic or a job for the spymaster or something. Being able to get some child king dumbass to convert to Islam and then going HEY LOOK AT THE INFIDEL, HOLY WAR TIME would be wonderful.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

CapnAndy posted:

I wish there was some way to send somebody to try and make people fall to heresy. Like, a Court Heretic or a job for the spymaster or something. Being able to get some child king dumbass to convert to Islam and then going HEY LOOK AT THE INFIDEL, HOLY WAR TIME would be wonderful.

If you could appoint a heretic as your seer/Chaplain, then the people they convert would convert to the chaplain's religion.

I found that out after my ruler converted and his chaplain stayed the same.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CapnAndy posted:

Can't the Chaplain's Inquisition job turn people into heretics (though I guess you can't use it externally?)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Oh gently caress yes please. I thought that was hardcoded, how did you manage it?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TheRamblingSoul posted:

What is the best (preferably video) introduction to playing CKII? I'm trying the in-game tutorial and it's still a bit confusing navigating the menus and having a feel for what I am supposed to be doing to advance.

I'd appreciate it!

It's not a video, but Kersch's LP is still probably the best way to get your head around the basics of the game.
It's also a bit old, but you can always de-activate any major DLCs and then start a new game with them once you foolishly think you've got the hang of things.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

LowellDND posted:

In Girl Power, are female monarchs able to start a grand tournament? I'm using an older mod.

Hm, that's worth taking a quick look at. I don't think they are! They should though, so I'll get on it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
How many King Titles can you have at once, as an Emperor before you run into penalties?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Reveilled posted:

Oh gently caress yes please. I thought that was hardcoded, how did you manage it?
Yeah, I said it was earlier, but I was completely wrong and dumb! I was looking for the restrictions in events/job_lord_spiritual, but they're actually in common/job_actions.

I did also have to revise the events themselves, of course, overhauling the local lord's response to something generalized and hopefully reasonableish. Basically I have starting weights of 100 to imprison the missionary, and 5 to allow them to work. Then I apply a number of modifiers, exclusively to the "allow" weight:

x.3 if zealous.
x.2 if one of their vassals is the controller of their religion.
x.75 before 930

A variety of modifiers for unreformed pagans against conversion attempts by various religions, from .3 to 1.5, for historical reasons

x1.5 if cynical. (I took out the 'arbitrary' modifier entirely, as it doesn't really seem to fit)
x2 if the religion is not reformed

Moral authority effects:
x.5 for every 10% moral authority of the target's religion, above 60%. That is, the chance is halved at 60%, halved again at 70%, halved again at 80%, and so forth.
x1.67 for every 10% moral authority beneath 50%.
Reversed for sender's religion, x1.67 for every 10% above 60%, x.5 for every 10% below 50%. Net effect is that if BOTH religions are notable high OR notably low, the overall chance of conversion goes down - if high, because people aren't going to abandon a strong faith just because another faith is also strong, and if low, because if somebody IS going to jump ship, they're not going to do so to a faith that's similarly floundering.

Small effects for the subject's opinion of the sender, x1.1 for every 20 opinion above 0. Sending bribes along with the missionary is a historically appropriate tactic, even if it won't make that much difference. Likewise, x.9 for every 20 below 0.

x1.3 if the target has a concubine or wife of the missionary's faith.
x1.5 if the target and sender are the same culture, stacking with...
x1.3 if the target and sender are the same culture group.
x2 if the target and sender are of the same dynasty.

And finally, to hopefully kill off some really unlikely possibilities:
x0.2 if the sender and target are already in the same religion group, and are NOT pagans. An Orthodox character is unlikely to be impressed by a Catholic missionary, since they're not really bringing anything new to the table. Stacks with...
x0.2 if the sender is a heresy of the target, or vice versa. Gotta settle those disputes with the sword.

There were a few other little adjustments I wanted to make, and then I thought I'd put this up somewhere.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I just added Girl Power to my game, and now clicking on any of my savegames results in a crash to desktop. What am I doing wrong? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

kingturnip posted:

It's not a video, but Kersch's LP is still probably the best way to get your head around the basics of the game.
It's also a bit old, but you can always de-activate any major DLCs and then start a new game with them once you foolishly think you've got the hang of things.

The biggest thing that's changed since then that you'll actually have to deal with is the Technology system, which, back when this was made, was something you'd look at like once ever 150 years because your ability to actually affect it was minimal. Now you get points and can spend those points to gain tech levels so you actually have to pay attention to it.

• Locked thread