Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You should get both and play them in order. Witcher 1 is drat good ignore all the haters, I still enjoy it. Make sure you level up Aard and get the knockdown stun on it early on, then use a Glyph to empower it when you go to fight the first boss... you'll know when. Makes the early game way more tolerable, and by the end of Act 2 you'll be tearing poo poo apart with ease, just whore out with potions.

That was one of the two things that Witcher 2 failed on, for me... even going alchemy tree, potions were lovely and annoying to use, plus the actual alchemy was way less interesting and fun. The other thing was that the music in 1 was just 1000 times better and more memorable than 2, though 2 still had great music, but yeah... no contest to 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pyromancer posted:

The director's cut is Witcher 1 not Witcher 2, that's why it's cheaper. No idea why it shows on Witcher 2 store page

Just to encourage you to buy both of them.

Fuzz posted:

That was one of the two things that Witcher 2 failed on, for me... even going alchemy tree, potions were lovely and annoying to use, plus the actual alchemy was way less interesting and fun.
Have they said anything about what direction they're going for with alchemy in Witcher 3? I preferred 1's style here too.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 15, 2013

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

quote:

Decreased cooldown for returning to exploration after combat from 7 to 2 seconds. Geralt will be able to interact with environment quicker after combat.

This man is our savior.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Fuzz posted:

You should get both and play them in order. Witcher 1 is drat good ignore all the haters, I still enjoy it. Make sure you level up Aard and get the knockdown stun on it early on, then use a Glyph to empower it when you go to fight the first boss... you'll know when. Makes the early game way more tolerable, and by the end of Act 2 you'll be tearing poo poo apart with ease, just whore out with potions.

That was one of the two things that Witcher 2 failed on, for me... even going alchemy tree, potions were lovely and annoying to use, plus the actual alchemy was way less interesting and fun. The other thing was that the music in 1 was just 1000 times better and more memorable than 2, though 2 still had great music, but yeah... no contest to 1.
Potions lovely? So lovely I'm oneshotting bosses with them, sure.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Getting Witchers 1 and 2 on a Steam sale was easily the best value per dollar I have ever gotten in a game purchase. Over 200 hours combined between them.

Apparently most people got through the games much faster even accounting for my multiple playthroughs though, so maybe I'm just bad at them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Asehujiko posted:

Potions lovely? So lovely I'm oneshotting bosses with them, sure.

I liked my Alchemy spec too, but it would be nice to be able to drink potions in combat again. Maybe balance it by having in-combat drinking cause more toxicity. (Which was basically the case in Witcher 1, since you could drink to high toxicity by a fire, then meditate for an hour to get rid of it while still maintaining most of the duration for the potion effects.)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm fine with not being able to drink them in combat, but the durations were way too short. Some of the potions in Witcher 1 lasted half an in-game day. Meanwhile, in Witcher 2 potions would run out during cutscenes.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Sharmat posted:

I'm fine with not being able to drink them in combat, but the durations were way too short. Some of the potions in Witcher 1 lasted half an in-game day. Meanwhile, in Witcher 2 potions would run out during cutscenes.

Yeah that is the most stupid thing. And they still haven't patched it so the timer stops!

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Isn't that new mod by the dev going to increase how long they last? I thought I read that in the giant changelog.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, it is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The durations were the biggest issue.
Also the lack of oils.

I dunno, Witcher 1 just felt more witchery than 2, because there was a wider variety of monsters and you could legitimately use the alchemy to make the right oils and potions to turn a fight with one of them from difficult and challenging to a hilarious pimp-slapping, which is kind of the point. I felt like I was researching the enemy and utilizing all my tools in 1, whereas in 2 I literally beat the whole game just rolling around and stabbing guys with Quen up, or whoring Heliotrope to just pretend it was Jet Li's The One.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Fuzz posted:

The durations were the biggest issue.
Also the lack of oils.

I dunno, Witcher 1 just felt more witchery than 2, because there was a wider variety of monsters and you could legitimately use the alchemy to make the right oils and potions to turn a fight with one of them from difficult and challenging to a hilarious pimp-slapping, which is kind of the point. I felt like I was researching the enemy and utilizing all my tools in 1, whereas in 2 I literally beat the whole game just rolling around and stabbing guys with Quen up, or whoring Heliotrope to just pretend it was Jet Li's The One.

I kinda felt the opposite since in witcher one with the exception of the first act you just spam igni and kill everything in three seconds.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Voyager I posted:

quote:

Decreased cooldown for returning to exploration after combat from 7 to 2 seconds. Geralt will be able to interact with environment quicker after combat.
This man is our savior.

The importance of this change cannot be overstated.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Here is an interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuQ5xISOTwc

We'll get to check up with our bro Vernon Roche again. :swoon:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

I shared your impression there, and that potentially says something very interesting about their relationship if true.

This is a bit old, but this idea is the most interesting thing about the two in my opinion and means they can do a lot of really interesting things with the reunion in part 3.

Just to start:They both 'died' so does that mean the wish still holds?

As for Triss helping Geralt; yeah, it's kind of odd but she's by far the nicest of the sorceresses (by a large margin, really). I like the interaction that Sile and Philippa are trying to get her to be more manipulative and everything. That fits all the characters really well. She's also madly in love with Geralt and I think she has a debt to Yennifer to repay. Though I can't think of what that is off the top of my head.

But I do agree, it's going to be hard to get the redeeming qualities of Yennifer across. And if she does have her memory back she's not going to be happy Triss is getting close to Geralt. And she's really not someone you want angry at you.

I'm not sure how they'll actually resolve it (though one of the developer interviews said a major part of the story will involve choosing which one Geralt sticks with) but there's a lot of room to do something really interesting.

There's also a lot of room to do something terrible - I hope they don't take the cheap way out of resolving that by having Triss betray Geralt or something stupid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Medieval Medic posted:

Here is an interview.

Also possible hints of Saskia.

Should be interesting to see Roche again. I left him in a pretty lovely position in both my playthroughs.

Spite posted:

As for Triss helping Geralt; yeah, it's kind of odd but she's by far the nicest of the sorceresses (by a large margin, really). I like the interaction that Sile and Philippa are trying to get her to be more manipulative and everything. That fits all the characters really well. She's also madly in love with Geralt and I think she has a debt to Yennifer to repay. Though I can't think of what that is off the top of my head.
Well I know Triss drugged Geralt with some kind of aphrodisiac one time in a moment of weakness, which she felt bad about, but I guess that's probably not it. The next book in the series is finally having its English translation released soon though, so maybe I'll find out when I've read that?

Spite posted:

But I do agree, it's going to be hard to get the redeeming qualities of Yennifer across.

Yeah. And a lovely first impression a player gets of her at the end of Witcher 2, when Letho mentions how much of a pain she was. Which was funny to see after reading the first couple books. When he talked about her trying to play them against each other and attempting to seduce Auckes I could only think "Yep. That's Yennifer."

Having Ciri in the game might make getting Yennifer's positive traits across, since they actually have one of those rare healthy relationships.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
So is the official English translation of 'Time of Contempt' really coming out on the 27th of this month? Cause unlike the the fan translation of SoD, the fan translation of ToC is only slightly more readable than a translation by Hodor.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Leb posted:

So is the official English translation of 'Time of Contempt' really coming out on the 27th of this month? Cause unlike the the fan translation of SoD, the fan translation of ToC is only slightly more readable than a translation by Hodor.

According to Amazon, yes. Now some of their release dates in the past have been pulled out of their asses, but they actually sent me an email about this one so that means it's legit...right?

And yeah, that's where I stopped trying to read the series. I mean I appreciate the effort and all, but that really needed a good run through by someone more fluent in English.

On a related note, am I the only one that thought the official translation of the first book was a lot better than the official translation of the third? Or did it even have anything to do with the translation at all?

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
The Witcher 3 interview with environmental artist. WARNING! spoils a side-quest in its entirety.
Pretty cool!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medieval Medic posted:

Here is an interview.

Bros for life!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Bros for life!

What happens to Roche if you take Iorveth's path? He just kind of disappears. It's a shame, as his three endings to his path are each fantastically bittersweet.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alright so I bought Witcher 2 on sale a long time ago but I'm just finally now getting into the game and actually enjoying the gameplay. Great! I was having a ton of fun and understanding the story for the most part despite never having played the first game.

Then I got to Flotsam.

Gameplay took a grinding halt for a bunch of dialogue with people I don't know about things I've never experienced. Someone want to give me a quick rundown on what's going on so I don't feel as lost? Who are Dandelion and Zoltan and why are they in Flotsam? ...and who is this mage lady that Triss seems to know but Geralt doesn't (but maybe he actually does and it's just his amnesia...?)?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

Alright so I bought Witcher 2 on sale a long time ago but I'm just finally now getting into the game and actually enjoying the gameplay. Great! I was having a ton of fun and understanding the story for the most part despite never having played the first game.

Then I got to Flotsam.

Gameplay took a grinding halt for a bunch of dialogue with people I don't know about things I've never experienced. Someone want to give me a quick rundown on what's going on so I don't feel as lost? Who are Dandelion and Zoltan and why are they in Flotsam? ...and who is this mage lady that Triss seems to know but Geralt doesn't (but maybe he actually does and it's just his amnesia...?)?
Dandelion and Zoltan are old friends of Geralt's. You knew them before your amnesia, and you became reacquainted with them during the events of Witcher 1. You didn't expect to see them in Flotsam. As it says in that long dialogue, Dandelion was there spying for Roche, and Zoltan was there for work after his engagement fell apart.

Sile is a new character to you, so you're not supposed to be familiar with her.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 19, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kaubocks posted:

Then I got to Flotsam.

Play the game and pretty much all of your questions will be answered. The game will back-fill story to a point instead of having everyone frontload you with information, though it leaves you to make some conclusions of your own quite often.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Okay, thanks! Didn't really want to read any wikis in case I came across any spoilers on accident.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

On a related note, am I the only one that thought the official translation of the first book was a lot better than the official translation of the third? Or did it even have anything to do with the translation at all?

From what I recall, they're both translated by the talented Danuisa Stok, whose occasionally archaic prose seems to fit the setting rather nicely. But yeah, I think it has to do a lot with the material itself -- I preferred the short stories to the novels proper (though granted, I've only read the first two and I ended up reading Time of Contempt in Spanish, where I also learned that I'm, uh, not entirely fluent in Spanish).

In unrelated news, it's almost midnight on Wednesday in Poland... FCR2 is imminent...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

Okay, thanks! Didn't really want to read any wikis in case I came across any spoilers on accident.

You really should go play the first one. It's A Good Game.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What happens to Roche if you take Iorveth's path? He just kind of disappears. It's a shame, as his three endings to his path are each fantastically bittersweet.

I dunno man, my Roche ending ended with he and I running off to continue our bro-rampage, or brompage, if you will.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I dunno man, my Roche ending ended with he and I running off to continue our bro-rampage, or brompage, if you will.

Without any spoilers, and having played the game through literally 10+ times (I'm the worst), I've decided that although I might prefer Iorveth's path for certain aesthetic/thematic reasons, in the end, any canonical playthrough has to invovle siding with Roche, esp. as all the Roche endings fit the setting far better than do the Iorveth endings.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So just finished the original Witcher and wanted to ask a few lore questions is it appropriate to do it here in the absence of a witcher 1 thread? Spoilered just to be on the safe side.

Was the Grand master guy of the order of the flaming rose supposed to be some sort of future version of alvin? He's stated as having incredibly powerful natural magic user and possess a similar if more weather-beaten amulet and the last time we saw alvin disappear Triss said he could've teleported anywhere in time and space.

How important were the plot choices I made? Does choosing one branch over the other change more than a few lines of dialogue? For example at the start of the game I decided to go to the witchers lab if I'd stayed and for the monster would I have had a noticeably different storyline?

If Adda was cured how did she show up at the end in striga form and be able to fight?

I kind of resent the bait and switch at the end where you go from pursuing and then beating the Salamandra through to an incredibly tedious series of boss battles. Did anyone else find the sudden order of the flaming rose thing a bit of a turn-off or was it just me?

What was the point of the king of the wild hunt? I felt at the end I was fighting him for poorly explained reasons.

Overall though I have to say I was impressed with the game. I really felt that despite some rough edges the game was well worth the effort and time I took to play it. If Witcher 2 is as much as an improvement over the original as I've heard people claim it is I'm looking forward to it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

Was the Grand master guy of the order of the flaming rose supposed to be some sort of future version of alvin? He's stated as having incredibly powerful natural magic user and possess a similar if more weather-beaten amulet and the last time we saw alvin disappear Triss said he could've teleported anywhere in time and space.
Yeah, he's Alvin. They don't come out and say it explicitly, but it's clearly the case.

Ferrosol posted:

What was the point of the king of the wild hunt? I felt at the end I was fighting him for poorly explained reasons.
The point is poorly explained on purpose. The Wild Hunt stuff is a storyline that spans the series. You can learn some stuff in Witcher 2 that sheds some light on why he might've been there (though that info is optional and can be missed). I'm expecting 3 to explain stuff in full.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 20, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Leb posted:

From what I recall, they're both translated by the talented Danuisa Stok, whose occasionally archaic prose seems to fit the setting rather nicely.

From what I've heard, Sapkowski uses a bunch of archaic Polish words in the original text anyway.

Leb posted:

Without any spoilers, and having played the game through literally 10+ times (I'm the worst), I've decided that although I might prefer Iorveth's path for certain aesthetic/thematic reasons, in the end, any canonical playthrough has to invovle siding with Roche, esp. as all the Roche endings fit the setting far better than do the Iorveth endings.

I...I can't choose. But I've only played the game twice. Did Iorveth first then, immediately after finishing went right back and did Roche. Maybe once this mod is out and I play Iorveth's again I'll be able to better judge.

Lycus posted:

Yeah, he's Alvin. They don't come out and say it explicitly, but it's clearly the case.
"That sword is for monsters." Also everything he says to you up to that final fight is based on what you chose to tell Alvin in terms of how to deal with his abilities etc, and can change between playthroughs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Sharmat posted:

"That sword is for monsters." Also everything he says to you up to that final fight is based on what you chose to tell Alvin in terms of how to deal with his abilities etc, and can change between playthroughs.

Oh man I didn't pick up on this at all. Witcher 1's ending came out of nowhere for me with the end of the world ice age stuff and this just makes it even better.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Ferrosol posted:

How important were the plot choices I made? Does choosing one branch over the other change more than a few lines of dialogue? For example at the start of the game I decided to go to the witchers lab if I'd stayed and for the monster would I have had a noticeably different storyline?

Most choices have some sort of consequence, but they're variably major or minor. In your example, if you'd fought the Frightener rather than gone to defend the lab, Salamandra would have made off with more mutagens, and you'd have to fight a mutant dog later along with a Salamandra, after which a cutscene would play reflecting on the choice in a more negative light.

Ferrosol posted:

If Adda was cured how did she show up at the end in striga form and be able to fight?

Alongside Lycus' answer, if you're asking about during the ending, when she shows up in the ice world to help you out, the reason is that the whole ice world isn't fully real so much as it is a magical mental plane, which is how Triss/Shani and all the other folks can show up too; they're half projections of the actual people and half Geralt's projections of them, so Adda helps you out in the most effective form she possesses: the Striga.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Of course the bad thing is Isn't Alvin actually right? There's something in one of the books from one of the older elves, if I remember correctly. It's along the lines of "The air is changed, days are shorter, the nights are colder blah blah" kind of thing that elves say in fantasy series all the time. Except it's meant quite literally, because the global climate is actually heading to a horrible ice age, and some of these people have been around long enough to notice the change in global trends. And you kill the only person trying to do anything about it.

Of course, his methods are absolutely insane.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wait, so Winter Is Coming? :v: I'm listening to the Yogscast interview in the background and now I see what I mean when they say it's Game of Thrones from before Game of Thrones.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Aside from that very specific thing and that they're both fantasy series with a darker bent...no, not really. I think that was very literally just a response to the interviewer saying "It's Poland's Game of Thrones" when it was out in Poland prior to Game of Thrones. I mean, I like A Song of Ice and Fire a bunch and all, but it's hardly the only good fantasy series out there and it's not like it single handedly made the fantasy genre popular.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Sharmat posted:

Aside from that very specific thing and that they're both fantasy series with a darker bent...no, not really. I think that was very literally just a response to the interviewer saying "It's Poland's Game of Thrones" when it was out in Poland prior to Game of Thrones. I mean, I like A Song of Ice and Fire a bunch and all, but it's hardly the only good fantasy series out there and it's not like it single handedly made the fantasy genre popular.

If The Witcher is Poland's GoT then they've failed to deliver since the majority of the main characters continue to live through each installment.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
FCR 2 mod released! Time to play through the Witcher 2 again.

You can grab it here: http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/index.php?c=mod&m=show&p=77

1.5GB of combat rebalances and new animations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Markkei posted:

FCR 2 mod released! Time to play through the Witcher 2 again.

You can grab it here: http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/index.php?c=mod&m=show&p=77

1.5GB of combat rebalances and new animations.

Haha. The download link is getting hammered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh, cool. It's live. I put off playing Witcher 2 last night because I figured "that mod is coming out tomorrow anyway so what's the point".

Probably not even a good idea to download the mod because I'm only just now getting used to the combat and I'm only in Flotsam but oh well! Seems like a cool mod overall so I'm pretty excited.

• Locked thread