Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I just realized Rhaegar Frey named his son Robert.

That's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Not My Goodies posted:

Did you really pull that quote for your avatar just now?

Fair warning, OSC is twice the pedophile GURM is. The kids spend half the book naked being uncomfortably physical with one another. Ender kills a kid by crushing his testicles as they wrestle in the shower.

The twist isn't that he wins, it's that there's a space battle going on at all. That's the gut punch at the end, the whole point of the story. Ender is Hitler Jesus Oppenheimer Skywalker.

E: If/when the GURM expires before finishing the series I hope they give it to OSC just so I can read a thread so bad it threatens to blot out the sun.

what is this black highlighted bullshit, dont yall motherfuckers know what thread this is

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I read 20% of Ender's Game before giving up this time.

I'm making progress.

(still at 7% on Wise Man's Fear after, what, 3 years?)

My memory on WMF is fuzzy because I read it right after finishing Name of the Wind and my eyes kind of slid over the boring parts to where I forget the first 1/3 of the book but remember how bad Denna is.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I know this is the book reader's thread, but seriously?

If you are interested in reading about the books, I'm sure there are like 6 gassed versions of this thread that would oblige to inform you about R+L=J and how The mad king raped Tywins wife, which is why he hates Tyrion so much.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Not My Goodies posted:

Looks that way, doesn't it? Say what you want about OSC (and I won't say anything as I've never read him), that quote inspired me to flush five bucks down the shitter.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I keep meaning to read Imajica but it seems a bit daunting. Is there a better Babby's First Clive Barker book? What's Weaveworld like?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Not My Goodies posted:

Fair warning, OSC is twice the pedophile GURM is. The kids spend half the book naked being uncomfortably physical with one another. Ender kills a kid by crushing his testicles as they wrestle in the shower.

The twist isn't that he wins, it's that there's a space battle going on at all. That's the gut punch at the end, the whole point of the story. Ender is Hitler Jesus Oppenheimer Skywalker.

E: If/when the GURM expires before finishing the series I hope they give it to OSC just so I can read a thread so bad it threatens to blot out the sun.

I feel you're dislike for OSC has dramatically (goes well with the avatar) affected your perceptions of the book.

The kid was already dead, he didn't know and kicked him in the balls for good measure. And if the descriptions are "uncomfortably naked" to you, I guess don't ever try wrestling, hockey, sports in general. Guys getting naked all the time in locker rooms.

Ender doesn't even compare to ASoIaF

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Which Crusader Kings 2 ASOIAF mod is the best?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Which Crusader Kings 2 ASOIAF mod is the best?
This one. They just added Ironborn/Wildling raiding mechanics thanks to the Old Gods DLC.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Is that correct, you can imprison your rivals and feed their manhood to goats? Guess I need the ck expansion

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Not sure about that, just that Ironborn can take prisoners as salt wives and get the "Iron Storm" nickname :black101: But they also added features like a bedding event and the ability to poison someone's wine at a wedding :getin:

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

Is that correct, you can imprison your rivals and feed their manhood to goats? Guess I need the ck expansion

You can castrate (or blind) prisoners if you have the cruel or ruthless trait(s), though you may need the Legacy of Rome expansion to do so.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

I keep meaning to read Imajica but it seems a bit daunting. Is there a better Babby's First Clive Barker book? What's Weaveworld like?

The Great and Secret Show is good. Weaveworld is a confusing mess.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Just watch Candyman and Hellraiser like everyone else

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

Abarat is for the "young adult" crowd but it's got some interestingly batshit insane illustrations to go along with it. I think that might be another series that's never going to be finished though.

Or watch Hellraiser.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Junkenstein posted:

Clive Barker books span a range from Fantasy to Horror with a lot of books falling somewhere in the middle. If you're looking for things that lie closer to the Fantasy end, it would be Imajica, Weaveworld, Abarat, Great and Secret Show/Everville and The Thief of Always. If you're more into the Horror end, his Books of Blood are easy to start with since they're just collections of short stories.

I think Weaveworld is a good start, because after having read them both, it feels like Imajica is what he really wanted to write when he wrote Weaveworld. Great and Secret Show / Everville are awesome, but that's two large books, so it doesn't help on the "daunting" front (and he's supposed to write a third one).

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Xiahou Dun posted:

Anubis Gates is what I meant in particular : it is really, really kicking rad. I was a couple minute late for teaching once because I chose to read it in my office over, you know, walking or whatever.

On Stranger Tides is also amazing.

They both, however, lack a loving ghost or whatever watching two people gently caress in a library and pretending you give any fucks, so it won't have that Imajica feel.

I'd add Declare, Last Call, and The Stress of Her Regard as well for really rad stuff.

I actually can't think of any outright bad books Powers has written. Like, even his worst stuff (though I haven't read his first two novels) is still on par with average genre fiction.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not My Goodies posted:

Why would you read Ender's Game at your advanced age [more stuff]
Here's the best line:
SOMEBODY DANCE ON YOUR HEAD, MAMA. SOMEBODY EATED YOUR FACE.

I thought that was believable dialog when I read it, but then again I also thought this was:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See if Gorm the Old really does end up dying before the last books comes out maybe they should be written collaboratively. Have Neil Gaiman do all of the Bran scenes would be pretty much right on the money and having Terry Pratchett write the Jon and Davos sections would be such a completely tonal shift that it would be hilarious. I am joking around of course, but who would you guys like to see finishing up the writing?

Cthulwho
Aug 31, 2009
Not Brandon Sanderson. Please god, no.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 669 days!)

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, don't start with Imajica. Start with The Books of Blood. I'm pretty indifferent to violence and horror but some of those stories gave me nightmares. Barker's got a really unique authorial voice, I think he's a pretty fascinating writer most of the time but I like his flaws and quirks and idiosyncrasies as much as his considerable strengths.

I've never read Weaveworld but it doesn't sound like a good entry point. His early work is a lot more ambitious and less meandering. If you like Stephen King but are irritated by his ridiculously vanilla anxieties try out Clive Barker. If you want to get acquainted with his pet themes watch the first two Hellraisers and Candyman and watch nothing else that was adapted from his work.

I Own Soulz posted:

I feel you're dislike for OSC has dramatically (goes well with the avatar) affected your perceptions of the book.

The kid was already dead, he didn't know and kicked him in the balls for good measure. And if the descriptions are "uncomfortably naked" to you, I guess don't ever try wrestling, hockey, sports in general. Guys getting naked all the time in locker rooms.

Ender doesn't even compare to ASoIaF

No it's a pretty terrible book and the 20 or so pages dedicated to prepubescent nudity is loving weird dude sorry. Especially when the writer is a tightly coiled bundle of sexual hangups and emotional immaturity that writes adult romances with less verisimilitude than Dean loving Koontz. It adds an extra layer of creepiness to the whole thing.

Josef bugman posted:

See if Gorm the Old really does end up dying before the last books comes out maybe they should be written collaboratively. Have Neil Gaiman do all of the Bran scenes would be pretty much right on the money and having Terry Pratchett write the Jon and Davos sections would be such a completely tonal shift that it would be hilarious. I am joking around of course, but who would you guys like to see finishing up the writing?

This is a billion dollar idea. Bernard Cornwell gets Victarion of course. Let Neal Stephenson take over at King's Landing. Joe Abercrombie gets the wall. Neil Gaiman is perfect for Bran. Stephen King should do Dany's chapters since he's such an expert at describing intestinal turmoil. I'm pretty sure he's used diarrhea to defeat an ancient evil at least 3 times.

e: Bret Easton Ellis for Arya's chapters

Sexgun Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 16, 2013

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Not My Goodies posted:

This is a billion dollar idea. Bernard Cornwell gets Victarion of course. Let Neal Stephenson take over at King's Landing. Joe Abercrombie gets the wall. Neil Gaiman is perfect for Bran. Stephen King should do Dany's chapters since he's such an expert at describing intestinal turmoil. I'm pretty sure he's used diarrhea to defeat an ancient evil at least 3 times.

e: Bret Easton Ellis for Arya's chapters

If David Foster Wallis was still around I'd vote for him to do Dany's chapters, if only because he could make slipping insanity and huge gently caress off walls of text fascinating. Is there anyone who is really good at writing "cities" as living entities because I could see the whole Merreneen knot being actually interesting if any of the characters were basically trying to keep the place from falling apart using political machinations instead of pissing about with harpies.

Also who would you get to write, and also "right", the Dornish? I'd go with resurrecting Frank Herbert and giving it to him. How would you guys have made the Dornish side plot interesting? Other than making everyone Oberyn and have him burn the clegane mansion to the ground.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Dorne has been mostly stuck in a situation where none of the PoV characters know what the hell is going on. Arys Oakheart, Arriane, and Quentyn combined hardly know anything about Oberyn/Doran/Darkstar's plots and are completely out of the action too long. I feel like Quentyn's chapters could benefit from more interaction with his father, something like a flashback or a raven to shed some light on the extent of Doran's aiding the Targs (Did they know Aegon may live? How close is Doran to Varys/Illyrio?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Jk rowling for everyone's chapters except dany who is written by the computer program that wrote a chapter in the book by Travis Tea

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just give China Mieville anything that isn't in Westeros. Would own.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Matthew Woodring Stover for whoever has the grittiest of personal combats. :sigh:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Not My Goodies posted:

No it's a pretty terrible book and the 20 or so pages dedicated to prepubescent nudity is loving weird dude sorry. Especially when the writer is a tightly coiled bundle of sexual hangups and emotional immaturity

Edit: If all you remember is the non-descriptions of kids being naked, I think you're the one with bigger issues than OSC.

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 16, 2013

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Junkenstein posted:

Just give China Mieville anything that isn't in Westeros. Would own.

Listen to this man, he will lead our people into a brave new world and keep the songs and stories of our ancestors.

Basically, I want the Hound to fight a slake moth, and I think this is a reasonable demand.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Cormac McCarthy writes everything. Replace Dany's dragons with Judge Holden and have Suttree go hang out with Tyrion since they're both experts on meandering river adventures.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Soviet_Russia posted:

Dorne has been mostly stuck in a situation where none of the PoV characters know what the hell is going on. Arys Oakheart, Arriane, and Quentyn combined hardly know anything about Oberyn/Doran/Darkstar's plots and are completely out of the action too long. I feel like Quentyn's chapters could benefit from more interaction with his father, something like a flashback or a raven to shed some light on the extent of Doran's aiding the Targs (Did they know Aegon may live? How close is Doran to Varys/Illyrio?

They did not know that "Aegon" is alive, as Doran planned to marry Arianne to Viserys, which would have been pointless if they knew Aegon is the next king. The dorne story was hurt most by the split of AFFC and ADWD. If the Quentyn chapters would have been shortly after the final Arianne chapter, there might have been a good story flow. But the way it is now (in the books) you have the Arianne story in AFFC and Quentyn in ADWD which both feel like tangents to the overall storyline.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

They did not know that "Aegon" is alive, as Doran planned to marry Arianne to Viserys, which would have been pointless if they knew Aegon is the next king. The dorne story was hurt most by the split of AFFC and ADWD. If the Quentyn chapters would have been shortly after the final Arianne chapter, there might have been a good story flow. But the way it is now (in the books) you have the Arianne story in AFFC and Quentyn in ADWD which both feel like tangents to the overall storyline.

Lets hope that the TV show puts them together. As an additional one to my previous question, how likely do you think it is that the TV program will outpace the books so completely that they end up having to write an ending.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

GaussianCopula posted:

which both feel like tangents to the overall storyline.

You know what else felt like tangents from the storyline? Books 4/5.

Really hoping that if when never the next book comes out, the fucker starts resolving things that up till now have felt like a expanding universe where everything is moving away from everything else, and new stuff keeps being added which also just keep expanding into the void.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Cormac McCarthy writes everything.

Everything except quotation marks and other things which generally help make things easy to read.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Everything except quotation marks and other things which generally help make things easy to read.

Cormac would have characters quotes written in their native tongues with nary a translation.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Fog Tripper posted:

You know what else felt like tangents from the storyline? Books 4/5.

Really hoping that if when never the next book comes out, the fucker starts resolving things that up till now have felt like a expanding universe where everything is moving away from everything else, and new stuff keeps being added which also just keep expanding into the void.

There is a lot of built up in Book 4/5 but there are core storylines that should get resolved very early in Book6.

-Siege of Mereen
-Stannisgrad (Stannis fight vs Ramsey in the snow)
-Cerceis trial
-Whatever happens to Jamie with Stoneheart

Each of those will have major ramifications for the rest of the story. I hope TWOW will be as good or even better then ASOS.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

Cormac would have characters quotes written in their native tongues with nary a translation.

This would mean the books would contain more than seven foreign words, so... bonus.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Terry Goodkind for the Jon Snow chapters. The Others would be re-written as communists.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Sorry no. Terry Goodkind writes the new Ramsay POV.

quote:

Cut. Once committed to the fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that overrides that one. Cut. The lines are a portrayal of the dance. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into his strength. Flow through the gap in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don’t allow him a breath. Crush him. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

run DNC posted:

The new Ramsay POV.

I thought we'd want Brett Easton Ellis doing this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

No, that would be a Joffrey POV.