Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

no tortie is a coat color combination. a siamese involves certain color situations. they don't overlap. that'd be like asking if you can have a straight-haired blond curly brunette daughter. that being said apart from purebreds (and even that's correlation due to breeding for certain temperaments AND coat colors, not causation of coat color -> temperament), coat color/pattern has nothing to do with temperament. we talk about calico/tortie crazy and it's certainly a common thing, anecdotally, but personally i suspect a lot of that has to do with nearly all torties/calicos being female, and female cats tend to be more territorial and stuff even after being spayed. that is actually probably anecdotal too actually.

tell you what: cat temperament is totally dependent on the individual cat, and gender/appearance correlations tend to be anecdotal. idk if topoismerase posts in here but she's a cat geneticist irl so perhaps she can lay down some learning.

A bit of it is also probably that specific breeds of cat tend to have been bred for behaviour into being more dopey, which then contrasts with torties, which will almost always have a fair few generations of random interbreeding in them and thus be more of the 'natural' disposition and less inclined to put up with your poo poo. But then, tabbies and calicos don't have that rep and most of them (not all, Trophy) are mutts too.

It's really pretty much just confirmation bias, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

There's no direct link between coat and behaviour, you know. Torties aren't a breed, they're just a type of mutt, and can have any temperament at all.

Siamese are a breed and can have theirs described in general, though there will always be exceptions, and they're generally pretty sassy and playful and active and mix fine with other cats as long as the other cats can keep up, so they're probably already a good mix with your cats.

I know that torties aren't a breed, but they and calicos have a reputation as being a bit crazy. At least the ones I have had.

In the end, it won't really matter anyways what kind of cat I want. I will be chosen by the cat.

Right after I got divorced, I went to the SPCA to get a cat because my ex took the cats. As I'm walking down the row of cages, this little black kitten starts climbing the bars and reaching out her little paw towards me. Her entire litter and mom had been adopted a couple days earlier and now she was all alone. She came home with me that day along with another kitten. She was the sweetest cat I've ever had and I still miss her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

diremonk posted:

Right after I got divorced, I went to the SPCA to get a cat because my ex took the cats. As I'm walking down the row of cages, this little black kitten starts climbing the bars and reaching out her little paw towards me. Her entire litter and mom had been adopted a couple days earlier and now she was all alone. She came home with me that day along with another kitten. She was the sweetest cat I've ever had and I still miss her.

Heh, when we went to the RSPCA, I remember that every cat was up at the front of their cage or halfway up the door carrying on. We ended up picking out the one kitten that was huddling away at the back of the cage too scared to do anything at all whilst all the others were being rambunctious. Dad picked her up and she just cuddled into his shirt and hid in his arms.

Whenever she'd get a bit panicked at home after we got her (she was pretty scared of the world for a while) we'd give her to him and she'd calm down, actually. And then for the rest of her life after she found her confidence she was basically a lap cat only for him. The rest of us would get sass, he'd get a cat climbing onto his lap, licking him on the nose and headbumping and then curling up.

Rescues. :unsmith:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

saturday morning! weekend woo!

be lazy!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

uhhhh, someone isn't a fan of the weekend I guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
refurb saturday plans: shed on the carpet more

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
stealing from PFY

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Golden-i posted:

same but guest bed

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

saturday betrayal!

but sadie, here is a house with no sadie fur. you need to fix that.

also, here are her objections to the carrier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3BM9ullFc

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 15, 2013

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Golden-i posted:

dogface :allears:

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

bonus cats looking more silly than usual

:drac:

Edit: double bonus, out of focus outtake:

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 15, 2013

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

There's just something about Sadie. I wanna grab her and squeeze her tight. :3: And your new place looks all new, cool. :)

Lemon Cello
Sep 2, 2011

you're posting...
Sadie is so pretty :3:.
Look who decided to show up!

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

off camera flash + purple cat tree = disco Sonja

:smug:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Lemon Cello posted:

is that buffalo chicken

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Lemon Cello posted:

Sadie is so pretty :3:.

Thomas! :woop:

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

dorkanoid posted:

off camera flash + purple cat tree = disco Sonja

:smug:

Your Nordic cats are pretty fly!

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

BabyMauler posted:

cats are pretty fly!

(thanks! :3:)

confused poofy tail Beyoncé

she's fallen down from the roof twice while trying to get into the gutters, she never learns

the grey cat from a few days ago -

- was chased away by the magpies nesting in my neighbour's trees :(

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

thats a 10

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

and of course

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What is this gifcam of which you spoke.

Hmm, interesting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 15, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

My GF just built a new PC and installed it. It now belongs to Spenny

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
got back from san francisco today. the welcoming committee sat on my mbp.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Lum posted:

have fun with power switches on the top of the case. every now and then carmen will jump on my PC and turn it off lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dr. Honked posted:

got back from san francisco today. the welcoming committee sat on my mbp.

don't ever leave again

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

have fun with power switches on the top of the case. every now and then carmen will jump on my PC and turn it off lol

If need be she can disable the button. She already has to use a hardware power switch due to the motherboard insisting on powering on by keyboard with no way to disable it.

Also there's a hard drive dock and raised section just before it to discourage him from using the front part.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

dorkanoid posted:

- was chased away by the magpies nesting in my neighbour's trees :(

owned by a bird what a shithead

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lum posted:

Im the creepy anime doll

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

im the wires

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

mmmm yusssss

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
our bird-feeder-in-window plan has come to fruition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V63wEGRsvog

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
NOTICE: this thursday faraday is scheduled for a shaving. sedatives included. there will be pictures. there will be video.

i am so. excited.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was moving a bunch of stuff around the new place so Sadie hid. i think her "hide" brain-part doesn't work right :(

TheQat posted:

our bird-feeder-in-window plan has come to fruition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V63wEGRsvog

so much want in this video. attempting to quantum tunnel via mind power.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Silly calico, if she is asleep or dozing near the siamese's belly and I rub HER belly, she starts kneading and suckling from the siamcat.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Have some slow biscuits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpkVerp4F8

and more slow biscuits and some playfulness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uY-h2tttms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003