Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Orv posted:

Yeah I've been running Necro without putting anything in it, but I just feel like I should be able to survive accidentally pulling two mobs. :shrug:

Necromancers don't get their their tank pet until they put 8 points in Necro. Until then you only have the melee dps pet, which can't hold aggro for anything. Try 16 in Chloro, rest in Ele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dendrite
Jun 17, 2005
Surprisingly uninteresting.
Trying this as Dendrong because somebody else already took Dendrite

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
edit: Thanks for the invite!

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 16, 2013

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I can't seem to transfer my characters from Seastone (the old goon server) to Deepwood help guys. :saddowns:

Edit: Are the expansion class unlocks by server or something? I can't use them on a new character on Deepwood but I can use them on a new character on Seastone.

By can't use on a new character, do you mean when picking a pre-built role at the initial creation? I read about a bug somewhere where that wouldn't work, but changing your souls later would.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Magus42 posted:

By can't use on a new character, do you mean when picking a pre-built role at the initial creation? I read about a bug somewhere where that wouldn't work, but changing your souls later would.

I did mean the pre-built role, but that's good to hear it (might) be a bug. Thanks!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I get a guild invite for my warrior? Name is Tollymain.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Toss Laziness a guild invite thanks.

RhandomAccess
Oct 26, 2010

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody.
Character Name is Rhook
Looking forward to playing again!

Thanks

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?
Invites should be caught up to here!

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Orv posted:

So I never played a ton of Rift, but upon coming back to my level 10 mage, I seem to be dying in two or three, sometimes four hits from mobs only a level above me. I'm a Harbinger/Chloromancer, but I don't imagine that would make much difference. Anyone have any ideas on what's doing this, or is it just normal?

If you didn't immediately rush Lifegiving Veil + instant Bloom (8 points in Chloro) then you will probably die horribly, yes. Mages are squishy and harbs don't really get their survivability tools until higher in the tree (their ridiculous ranged 5 second stun, Conditioned Response, etc.)

Get LGV and Bloom, pull things with Withering Vine, and use your Eldritch Armor procs on Vile Spores and you will pretty much never die.

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Sent a invite request. In as Psychobilly, a dwarf warlock. Really enjoying this so far.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
In game name is Sydola, could someone send me an invite please.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Jaffer

#show Healing Breath
suppressmacrofailures
cast @mouseoverui Healing Breath
cast Break Free (optional, some people like it separate)

Not sure where you'd put [alt][shift][ctrl] in there but that's like 10 seconds of tinkering.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I cracked and bought the other set...

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I think I'll take a jump into this game. Haven't played an MMO since vanilla wow. What class is similar to the warlock? Not so much in the magic set or feel, but being a strong pvp character who can juggle a few enemies at once. Having survivability is a little more important than damage.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I think I'll take a jump into this game. Haven't played an MMO since vanilla wow. What class is similar to the warlock? Not so much in the magic set or feel, but being a strong pvp character who can juggle a few enemies at once. Having survivability is a little more important than damage.

Mages have a soul in warlock that is dot spreading. As for the pet aspect of warlock, everyone has pets, and mages also get to transform into an alternate mode (empyrean ascension in Harbinger).

As for CC, Mages have that in spades too! They can also heal whoooooo.

On the other hand, for PvP balance, at higher levels of PvP warriors tend to poo poo out damage, clerics either heal or be obnoxious kiters with burst, and mages can burst down single targets or do really obnoxious things to groups. Rogues do something I'm not really sure how rogues work.

But if you're looking to do anything other than tank Mage is a good option!

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
If I could have an invite to the guild that would be great. In as Brogtan.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I decided to check out the game with a friend when it went F2P and have been playing and enjoying it since. I tried all the MMO offerings in the past few years and this is the only that stick for more but a moment. Last few hours I've been just chilling and fishing, so that's a good sign :3:

Paradoxically, I feel like Trion did succeed in offering a fair F2P model which I couldn't say about most of the MMOs I tried (SW:TOR holy poo poo :psyduck:)and now I'm more inclined to give them money and definitely will. There are also a number of small but noticeable things like no lower limit on mounts, no falling damage, etc. that I just can't but endlessly appreciate.

Anyway, I've been wondering if the expansion souls are the only thing you have to buy that is somewhat "essential"? I mean things like areas and stuff.

P.S.: Freemarch chat is the new Barrens chat :allears:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 16, 2013

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

lordfrikk posted:

I decided to check out the game with a friend when it went F2P and have been playing and enjoying it since. I tried all the MMO offerings in the past few years and this is the only that stick for more but a moment. Last few hours I've been just chilling and fishing, so that's a good sign :3:

Paradoxically, I feel like Trion did succeed in offering a fair F2P model which I couldn't say about most of the MMOs I tried (SW:TOR holy poo poo :psyduck:)and now I'm more inclined to give them money and definitely will. There are also a number of small but noticeable things like no lower limit on mounts, no falling damage, etc. that I just can't but endlessly appreciate.

Anyway, I've been wondering if the expansion souls are the only thing you have to buy that is somewhat "essential"? I mean things like areas and stuff.

P.S.: Freemarch chat is the new Barrens chat :allears:

So far, yeah, although I think some people may want to buy the things that remove things from your Planar Focus and/or gear, although there are probably in-game ways of obtaining those.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Rift's store is everything GW2's store should've been.

Hopefully it makes them a lot of cash, both to keep the game going, and to encourage future.mmorpgs to use a similar model.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Some terrible people were talking about playing this and I thought I would give it a shot. Applied as Sandystorm.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Wahad:

(Nobody use these macros they are rear end)

#show Fanaticism (<- the macro's tooltip and icon will use Fanaticism's)
suppressmacrofailures (<- idk what this does but it's in every macro so do it)
cast Fanaticism (<- Fanaticism is off the global cooldown so it'll be used without disrupting the macro)
cast Sanction Heretic (<- on a cooldown, so it'll cast above Bolt and Vex as long as it is off cooldown)
cast Bolt of Judgment (<- cast-time spell on GCD)
cast Vex (<- instant spell on GCD; since it's instant and below a cast-time on-GCD spell, it'll only be cast if you're moving)

These won't work at all:

cast Scourge (<- instant on GCD)
cast Vex (<- instant on GCD)
Vex will never cast since Scourge is higher priority

cast Bolt of Judgment
cast Somatic Desecration
Somatic Desecration will never cast since Bolt is higher priority

So what you CAN macro is:
Off-GCD spells (typically long cooldowns like Carpet Bombing)
Cooldowns (as long as all cooldowns with higher priority are on cooldown, a cooldown spell will cast; IIRC all bombs are like this)
One on-GCD cast-time or instant spell (like Blast Charge)

So if you macro Spike Charge over Blast Charge, Blast will never be used.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Wahad:

(Nobody use these macros they are rear end)

#show Fanaticism (<- the macro's tooltip and icon will use Fanaticism's)
suppressmacrofailures (<- idk what this does but it's in every macro so do it)
cast Fanaticism (<- Fanaticism is off the global cooldown so it'll be used without disrupting the macro)
cast Sanction Heretic (<- on a cooldown, so it'll cast above Bolt and Vex as long as it is off cooldown)
cast Bolt of Judgment (<- cast-time spell on GCD)
cast Vex (<- instant spell on GCD; since it's instant and below a cast-time on-GCD spell, it'll only be cast if you're moving)

Suppressmacrofailures prevents the game from spamming you with error messages when stuff in the macro is on cooldown or whatever. Without it the above macro would spam you about Fanaticism & Sanction Heretic being on cooldown.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Al Baron posted:

Finally got the stupid Raptr pet. Now I can stop keeping the game on while I sleep.

Yeah, you and me both. It took about a week of leaving the exe running non stop, but I finally got all I need from Raptr.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm playing as Yaos, let me into the cool guys club!

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Playing as Talkblue as a kickass bard.

Would love an invite.

badirishluck
Nov 28, 2006
Karma is a B!tch
Playing as BadIrishLuck. I'm a mage and would love an invite!

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Could I get an invite on whoopy, thanks.

Thokul
Nov 7, 2009
Can I get an invite for my alt? Name is Townsend.

Thanks!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Could someone please reinvite my alts Sipeth and Zeline?

Thanks. :)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Invites caught up until here. If you weren't online, it will be in the mail!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I've been interested in the soul system in this game for a while, but I'm allergic to monthly fees, so I haven't thought about it for a while. Kicking myself for missing the Raptr promotion. How essential are the expansion souls for each class? If I want to play a mage, how crappy will my life be if I want to play this without giving Trion any money until I know I'm sticking with it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any goons still on Seastone? I want to move my dude to get in on the guild but can't apparently :smith:

Edit: The f2p stuff in this game is really subtle as far as I can tell and I love that. I got some loyalty points (I assume for purchasing the game at launch) and I picked up a nice mount with it. It seems to have really bolstered the community as well as there's tons of people online.

Also, I started out just trying to get over level 50 by staying in the default zone because I didn't know there was a new zone for 50+, but after going through the portal and picking up all the new quests, holee poo poo there is so much more to do now :psyduck:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 16, 2013

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
Need an invite as Jerkjerkjerk until I can transfer Werkwerk over.

If someone is up for seeing if the old way I used to siege the newbie area still works, fun times may be had by all. Looks like the NPCs are still in the game. If nothing else we can always do a migrant worker invasion of the defiant city.

Werkwerk fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 16, 2013

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If I want to play a mage, how crappy will my life be if I want to play this without giving Trion any money until I know I'm sticking with it?

As far as I can tell, not crappy at all. I started playing when the game went F2P and this is by far the most tolerant model I've had the chance to try so far.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY

I AM CARVALLO fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 16, 2013

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I'll take an invite for Rayjenkins, haven't played this since it released so things will definitely be different.

Edit: Got the invite real quick, thanks much!

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 17, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I've been interested in the soul system in this game for a while, but I'm allergic to monthly fees, so I haven't thought about it for a while. Kicking myself for missing the Raptr promotion. How essential are the expansion souls for each class? If I want to play a mage, how crappy will my life be if I want to play this without giving Trion any money until I know I'm sticking with it?

Harbinger is the best leveling soul for mages, so it will definitely suck a bit not having it. That said, you can level to 50 without doing the normal quest leveling so you can get by without it. Pick whatever you want for the first 10 levels, then at level 10 start doing IA's/PVP with pyro or whatever looks fun. Warriors and Clerics can get by without ever using the SL souls. But Rogues and Mage get a lot of use out of them.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Can I get an invite into the guild? My character's name is Schlimazel. Running around getting my bearing until (if?) my higher level dude that I haven't played in forever gets transfered over maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rayjenkins posted:

I'll take an invite for Rayjenkins, haven't played this since it released so things will definitely be different.

The core gameplay remains the same with some streamlining (they've gone a long way toward making more and more specs viable) and the best cash shop I've ever seen in a game.

Like seriously, $5 will have you in kick rear end gear the entire time you are leveling, such a smart move considering the massive influx of people

And so many corgis! :swoon:

• Locked thread