Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

KittyEmpress posted:

I've honestly done this a few times. I'm far too lazy to play the market when I can just throw up a 10 stack of materials for 3k and make an extra 40-50k per planet. Plus the fact that everything is already so low priced on Begeren, making it even worse.

You're part of the problem! But not that badly. Mostly, I'm talking in terms of stacks of 99. 10 stacks aren't the problem. Example: I cleaned out the Phobium market about 4 days ago and pegged the price at 35K/99. People started to inject their own individual stacks of 99 into the market, undercutting me by 1-3K and then each other by 1-2K each until the price was down to 20K. Finally some grade A moron posted for 10K, and like lemmings pubs jumped on THAT price and it's been about 10K ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gasoline posted:

Honestly, all the "bla bla legacy" final conversations felt really forced to me. It kind of fits with apprentices and droids and maybe romanced companions I guess, but for others it's just weird. Why would companions like Kaliyo and Lokin feel like family anyway? One's a mercenary, the other's been a rogue agent for a long time, both really only care about themselves and neither are trustworthy. I like that they're more about doing their own thing.

Because drat it, I just spent thousands of thousands of credits raising their affection! I want them to become my eternal servants for life!

Seriously though, it just makes them feel like they tie together better. Lokin's final conversation is basically just "Welp, now I run science bureau division, sir. Should we get back to fighting?" He could at least offer to fuse my children with rancor strength or something! Give them some of that regeneration you talked about them being in the process of perfecting!

Kaliyo I kind of understand not having a big long discussion on your legacy, but I've yet to finish her quests (they are for some reason not available. Might need SCORPIO. But I've also never felt they seemed too forced. The only one that has so far is, funnily enough, Vector. He goes from "KILIKSKILIKSKILIKSDIPLOMACY!!!" to "No, my duty is to give my life protecting you and your kin. I shall guard your legacy forever more." At least everyone else is going off their skills. Broonmark only talks about killing, talks about teaching to kill, Pierce has his big 'leading a squad' story, talks about teaching to lead. Vector, why not teach my kids to be diplomats, drat it.

JiiHoo
Mar 29, 2010

Red Crown posted:

I find it fascinating just how willing Pubbies are to torpedo their own interests, economically speaking. I see people all the time posting items at a 20-30% discount because MONEY NOW, and I've watched several markets just plain crash. For example, Phobium has fallen by 80% over the last week on my server. Pubs just undercut each other into oblivion, completely oblivious that they're costing themselves huge amounts of money. Bondite is down 75% as well.

As possibly one of those idiots, I would we willing to learn to be better than this.

Currently with my character I've got slicing and I'm running lockbox missions and getting some discovery missions from them. My way of selling them is search for them, check the prices and undercut somewhat, because I don't know the right price. I'd rather be playing the game than going back to checking the galactic market every few hours to possibly infer the right price.

And I'm guessing most of the people you're talking about are in the same boat, sure we could get 10% more (even 20-30%), but that would require investing time in that part of the game that we are not interested in.

(I have started to learn the prices somewhat, like someone was selling some mission for only 638 (which I'm quessing is the default for that mission) when all the other mission were near 10000. So I bought it and resold for 8 or 9k.)

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

JiiHoo posted:

As possibly one of those idiots, I would we willing to learn to be better than this.
My way of selling them is search for them, check the prices and undercut somewhat, because I don't know the right price. I'd rather be playing the game than going back to checking the galactic market every few hours to possibly infer the right price.

You don't really need to undercut. The way the GTN works it lists by order of listing, out of alphabetical order. So if the lowest listing is from Darth Aardvark at 10k, you can list for the same price as Major Zabrak and still show first. I found that most pubbies buy the first item listed anyway.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Hulk Smash! posted:

You don't really need to undercut. The way the GTN works it lists by order of listing, out of alphabetical order. So if the lowest listing is from Darth Aardvark at 10k, you can list for the same price as Major Zabrak and still show first. I found that most pubbies buy the first item listed anyway.

If two items are showing at the same price I will always buy the second one because I feel bad for the person that will likely never sell their item :unsmith:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

If two items are showing at the same price I will always buy the second one because I feel bad for the person that will likely never sell their item :unsmith:

:doom: You're ruining my GTN baron career!

(I do that too).

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

JiiHoo posted:

Currently with my character I've got slicing and I'm running lockbox missions and getting some discovery missions from them. My way of selling them is search for them, check the prices and undercut somewhat, because I don't know the right price. I'd rather be playing the game than going back to checking the galactic market every few hours to possibly infer the right price.

And I'm guessing most of the people you're talking about are in the same boat, sure we could get 10% more (even 20-30%), but that would require investing time in that part of the game that we are not interested in.

(I have started to learn the prices somewhat, like someone was selling some mission for only 638 (which I'm quessing is the default for that mission) when all the other mission were near 10000. So I bought it and resold for 8 or 9k.)

The problem isn't undercutting so much as it is rampant undercutting. If enough people decide to undercut, the price collapses. People need to pick a pony and ride it. Now, margins like 10%, 20% and even 30% aren't very important to sellers who just happened to have one stack of 99 from questing. Unfortunately, prices are dropping so sharply at times that people could be getting double what they're selling for.

The easy way to fix this is to look at all the listings. Usually, you'll find an upper limit with someone selling for an absurd price, then someone selling for 30% less than that. Usually there's where the undercut collapse begins. Undercutting has its uses, sure, but people need to be smart about it rather than jumping on the bandwagon of commodity price collapse.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
There is pretty much no reason to ever undercut by more than 1 credit. As previously mentioned, 99.999% of people just buy the first one listed. If you want to learn more about why undercutting by more than the bare minimum allowable amount is terrible and horrible and makes you LITERALLY HITLER, go check out the gold making thread in the WOW forum. Trust me, once you alter even by a small amount the way you sell stuff on the GTN, you will always have more money than you know what to do with.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Honestly it's the fault of GTN as well. Not listing price per item in a stack and being able to sort on that is really dumb.

That being said you still see wholesale items undercut ferociously too. Admittedly, I did relist all of the dumb datacubes after I picked a bunch up for cheap (like 25k cheap), and then undercut the next milestone by about another 25k just to offload ASAP on the bet that people will eventually realize datacubes are just youtube videos.

JohnnyHardcore posted:

There is pretty much no reason to ever undercut by more than 1 credit. As previously mentioned, 99.999% of people just buy the first one listed. If you want to learn more about why undercutting by more than the bare minimum allowable amount is terrible and horrible and makes you LITERALLY HITLER, go check out the gold making thread in the WOW forum. Trust me, once you alter even by a small amount the way you sell stuff on the GTN, you will always have more money than you know what to do with.
Lies there are millions to spend on if you want to! :>

JiiHoo
Mar 29, 2010
Well, sounds like my basic plan is not completely flawed. Since I do look at all the listings at least.

But yeah, that's the "logic" under which most people operate. Which I think is also the problem, with I think most MMO's auction houses. People aren't willing to look at further than the first listing and dropping under it, because it will sell first. Obviously there are pro's and con's, you're able to take advantage from it, by buying cheaply, but then you have to wait for the frenzy to pass, before selling them.

You'll just have to live with it.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

You have to invest in a market that isn't constantly being flooded with new goods. Phobium was a really bad pick for me because every yahoo pubbie has two stacks of Phobium if they're a scavenger, which they then dump on the market after a certain level. With less than half a million to my name I just don't have the capital to control it.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
About a month ago I found a Revan's Mask put up on the GTN for 35k and was able to resell it for 5 million. Now I habitually check the adaptive armor category every day in search of The Next Big One, but I doubt I will ever find it. Never again.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

folgore posted:

About a month ago I found a Revan's Mask put up on the GTN for 35k and was able to resell it for 5 million. Now I habitually check the adaptive armor category every day in search of The Next Big One, but I doubt I will ever find it. Never again.

Wow, my biggest cartel item flipping profit is 700k. Nice one. A few people put racial unlocks up last night for about half their true value, hopefully I can resell them this week. I guess they were in the crates that just got released so the market flooded a bit. My hope is that double XP weekends will increase demand for them for new alts.

Would anyone be able to run Foundry HM tonight with my DPS merc? Need my last HK piece so I can unlock an assassin buddy for my operative.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Kaysette posted:

Wow, my biggest cartel item flipping profit is 700k. Nice one. A few people put racial unlocks up last night for about half their true value, hopefully I can resell them this week. I guess they were in the crates that just got released so the market flooded a bit. My hope is that double XP weekends will increase demand for them for new alts.

Would anyone be able to run Foundry HM tonight with my DPS merc? Need my last HK piece so I can unlock an assassin buddy for my operative.

Race unlocks were also 60% off this week in a pack that included literally every single one, so I think a few people were buying them and marking them down in credits as well.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
One of my favorite things to do is sit back sometimes on the Fleet and check out people's armor sets to get some ideas.

Or at least I did until I saw somebody running around in full Destroyer set, including the gigantic mohawk helmet. I can't believe I didn't get it sooner.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 15, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My best 'flip' thing was buying a Nihlus mask for 100k, then selling it for 1mil. They aren't quite as popular as Revan masks (Revan's mask hits 10mil on Begeren) but it was still a nice profit.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Is there a recommended DPS Sage leveling build? I'm going to stop doing the daily FP/WZ/space stuff on mine because between the subscriber bonus, the guild bonus, all the legacy xp bonuses and the random xp boost items I get I'm ridiculously outleveling all the content (I am about to finish Nar Shaddaa at level 29.8). I figure I can worry about becoming the bestest healer ever once I'm already 55 and doing more group content.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Is there a recommended DPS Sage leveling build? I'm going to stop doing the daily FP/WZ/space stuff on mine because between the subscriber bonus, the guild bonus, all the legacy xp bonuses and the random xp boost items I get I'm ridiculously outleveling all the content (I am about to finish Nar Shaddaa at level 29.8). I figure I can worry about becoming the bestest healer ever once I'm already 55 and doing more group content.

FiB, Presence of Mind, Telekinetic Balance, and Upheaval. Fill out the rest any way you want. Bubble tank comp, send them in, FiB, TK Throw/Mind Crush until dead. Repeat until 55.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I hit 55 with my Scoundrel, who I used to PVP with all the time. I assume she's going to be better off with her normal gear (mostly 66s with a few 69s scattered) than pulling out her old mix of Recruit mk2, War Hero and Battlemaster gear?

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

I hit 55 with my Scoundrel, who I used to PVP with all the time. I assume she's going to be better off with her normal gear (mostly 66s with a few 69s scattered) than pulling out her old mix of Recruit mk2, War Hero and Battlemaster gear?

Yes, definitely.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

The War Hero and Battlemaster stuff was actually completely retired. They removed the Expertise from it. Keep it if you like the shells, though.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I don't know how you do that! I have the opposite problem, I'm dramatically underleveled. I first showed up on Belsavis at 38. I'd probably be 45 if I did every quest I could - but I find most of the non-class quests on planets to be tedious.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Red Crown posted:

I don't know how you do that! I have the opposite problem, I'm dramatically underleveled. I first showed up on Belsavis at 38. I'd probably be 45 if I did every quest I could - but I find most of the non-class quests on planets to be tedious.

Daily warzone, daily flashpoint, daily space mission if you're particularly masochistic. Gives you a ton of XP, allowing you to only do the bare minimum of "kill 30 space rat" quests.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I normally do every planet quest that isn't a Heroic because well, most of them send you to around the same areas anyways, and take about 5 minutes max, which saves a lot of problems in the form of red mobs and the like. Sometimes I'll not do them if they don't require going anywhere near the planet storyline/class storyline quests though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The War Hero and Battlemaster stuff was actually completely retired. They removed the Expertise from it. Keep it if you like the shells, though.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about that.

Should I be gearing up in the Partisan gear? Or will bolster + my Black Market stuff be better?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah, completely forgot about that.

Should I be gearing up in the Partisan gear? Or will bolster + my Black Market stuff be better?

Partisan is level 55, so you won't get Bolster at all when you can equip Partisan. WRONG DERP

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 16, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Partisan is level 55, so you won't get Bolster at all when you can equip Partisan.

Are you sure? I have done a few warzones with my Scoundrel since I first posted hitting level 55, and I had the bolster buff along with an expertise level of 1700ish, despite not wearing any pvp gear.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

Are you sure? I have done a few warzones with my Scoundrel since I first posted hitting level 55, and I had the bolster buff along with an expertise level of 1700ish, despite not wearing any pvp gear.

Oh! Yeah I forget they changed how that worked, didn't they. Okay, I have no bloody idea how it works but I've noticed when I wear my PVP gear I get more Expertise than when I don't. Obviously the rest of my stats go down but all the player-to-player stats go up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WarLocke posted:

Don't use the boost items and you should be free to do whatever you want whenever you want.

Also buy field respec.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Also buy field respec.

Already done. Then I bought mint green war hero/indestructible crystals and a silver-blue indestructible one and now I'm broke again, hah.

I need to experiment with builds and hotkey layouts in the morning. Hell, I might even take Double Strike off my bar, I never loving use my lightsaber for actual physical attacks as it is.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Already done. Then I bought mint green war hero/indestructible crystals and a silver-blue indestructible one and now I'm broke again, hah.

I need to experiment with builds and hotkey layouts in the morning. Hell, I might even take Double Strike off my bar, I never loving use my lightsaber for actual physical attacks as it is.

My Shadow tank doesn't have Mind Crush on his bar. To be honest, I see Sages standoff and do entirely ranged damage all the time.

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
Sorry for the content-free post but I'd like an invite to the Republic guild on Jedi Covenant. My character's name is K'ryig, lv. 15 Shadow-in-the-making. Thanks!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just a heads up before anyone sinks credits for the Calo Nord armor - it's completely lovely and clips on itself on the sides. Also the back doesn't really swing backwards like most of the other jacket armor, your legs just clip through it.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 16, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Oh! Yeah I forget they changed how that worked, didn't they. Okay, I have no bloody idea how it works but I've noticed when I wear my PVP gear I get more Expertise than when I don't. Obviously the rest of my stats go down but all the player-to-player stats go up.

Currently Bolster gives you the best stats for PVP if you go in using the 55 HM or NM OPs gears. This is a fact that pubbies hate and will rage at you for wearing PVE gear into PVP. You'll be behind Expertise wise, but only by about 20 from the top PVP gear, while having almost 100 more of your main stat, and a good 90+ to Power/Surge/etc depending on what you armor adds.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Wow, I don't know if this is common knowledge, but browse the Cartel section of the GTN once in a while. Right now on my server, you can get Quick Travel 2 and 3 for 90% off, a whole slew of species unlocks for 45K Credits - Human for 128K, which is a lot better than 600 Cartel Coins.

Also got 13 Minor Class XP boosts for 200 credits each or so.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 16, 2013

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
Is there a go to item from the cartel market that always sells so I can get a decent amount of credits in game?

I saw some of the cartel packs for 300kish, do people actually pay that much?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I was in my local Wal-Mart the other day and noticed that they're still selling the 60-day TOR 'Game Time Cards'. Anyone know if those are still redeemable or is it just a case of Wal-Mart being lovely and not taking things off the shelf (I once spotted a copy of Auto Assault at a Wal-Mart more than a year after the game had been shut down)?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I don't see why they would be invalid. You can get the 60 day block of time through their website, and they are still on Amazon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those specific ones could potentially be expired I guess, but the game still accepts time cards and they're still sold in stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Rascyc posted:

Just a heads up before anyone sinks credits for the Calo Nord armor - it's completely lovely and clips on itself on the sides. Also the back doesn't really swing backwards like most of the other jacket armor, your legs just clip through it.

Relaxed Vestment's seems to have graphical issues too.

• Locked thread