Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010

Nystral posted:

My 2003 93 linear has a coolant leak which I've "fixed" by dumping water into the coolant reservoir and while my car will normally run fine and doesn't get in the dangerous "hot" zone about once a week the temperature needle will float between 50 and 75% and I start the heater on high and open all my vents and drive the last mile or so home / to the office (my commute is about 20 miles). Doing this for about two to three minutes brings the needle down and everything looks good from what I can tell inside the car.

However it's gotten to the point where I've been dumping about a quart of water in to the reservoir every day and my entire coolant system is now crystal clear water. I'm hoping flsuhing the water and returning to 100% coolant will buy me the two or three months I need to get the money together to have my mechanic swap out the hoses, temp sensor, possibly the water pump and radiator.

I poked around on thesaabsite and saabcentral on how to do a flush and I THINK I found the petcock on the lower right of the radiator, yet when I twist mine a quarter-turn counter clockwise nothing drains out. I didn't put the car on jack stands or ramps, but I thought on a level surface at least something would come out. Do I need to elevate the car to drain my system?

EDIT: I'm a bad owner and my car has been abused by my neglect. I'm trying to turn the corner and do right by my car.

You need to turn it and pull it out a 1/4 inch or so. I did this same head scratching dance when I flushed my 04 9-3. Also you have a leak somewhere, fix it before you warp a head. And for Aeka, I'd just return your regulator and get one from The Saab site. If that fails you, these guys have always treated me right and even have random little pieces no other junkyard would ever get for me. http://www.goldwingsaabparts.com/default.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Nystral posted:

My 2003 93 linear has a coolant leak which I've "fixed" by dumping water into the coolant reservoir and while my car will normally run fine and doesn't get in the dangerous "hot" zone about once a week the temperature needle will float between 50 and 75% and I start the heater on high and open all my vents and drive the last mile or so home / to the office (my commute is about 20 miles). Doing this for about two to three minutes brings the needle down and everything looks good from what I can tell inside the car.

However it's gotten to the point where I've been dumping about a quart of water in to the reservoir every day and my entire coolant system is now crystal clear water. I'm hoping flsuhing the water and returning to 100% coolant will buy me the two or three months I need to get the money together to have my mechanic swap out the hoses, temp sensor, possibly the water pump and radiator.

Whenever I hear 2003 and coolant leak in the same sentence I shudder.

I hope there's a puddle underneath it and it's not dumping the coolant into the transmission (if it's an auto).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ltugo posted:

So this is where the Saab owners check in? I just won this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171027289060&autorefresh=true

I already have a daily driver, (Chevy Sonic). This will be my first "fun" car. Please tell me I did ok.
Aero? Check. Black? Check. Stick? Check. Seems fine to me.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
http://tinyurl.com/ce6panl

I am teetering on the edge of buying this car and wondering what people here thought of it. Seems like a pretty badass car. Any particular areas of worry in terms of reliability I should look at before buying?

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I am teetering on the edge of buying this car and wondering what people here thought of it. Seems like a pretty badass car. Any particular areas of worry in terms of reliability I should look at before buying?

I have an 06 with practically the same mileage, I like mine a lot. Mine has the wood trim and the climate controls otherwise it's identical. If you live in the northeast make sure the front coils either look good or have been replaced, one of mine broke and got replaced due to a recall years back. The only other repairs I really have done so far has been brakes and a dumb cable that makes the door lever inside the driver side door work. I think the price is a little high on that 07, I paid around 14.5 for mine in 09 with 25k on the clock and they went out of business since then.

They list it as a 4 speed manual but it totally a 5 speed, dumbasses.

koollook124 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 29, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's actually a 6 speed. I have the 08. It can be a fun car but the interior is rear end. Haven't had any problems aside from lovely interior trim pieces breaking and a spun bearing. Bought it at 12k miles in '10, has 46k miles now.

Also black, stick, good choice, etc.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's actually a 6 speed. I have the 08. It can be a fun car but the interior is rear end. Haven't had any problems aside from lovely interior trim pieces breaking and a spun bearing. Bought it at 12k miles in '10, has 46k miles now.

Well I was at least closer than the people that really should know, the sellers.

+1 to the interior issues, mine has been okay but I practically have to baby it.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah, I did notice they put it as a 4-speed like its a lotus from the 80's or some poo poo, but I knew it was a 6 speed. Which is cool. One more gear than my current car. rear end interior I can handle, as its also a problem in my current car (the shifter knob popped off the day after I bought it).

As for the price, it looks like 10.5k is bluebook from a deal and 9 is bluebook from an independent seller. Would about 10 seem fair? I am thinking about heading over there later this week to get a better feel for it.

One last thing for the moment, as for the coils, what would I be looking for in terms of worrisome issues?

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 30, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
So.. did you get the '07, or what?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

So.. did you get the '07, or what?

They arent moving much on the price and seem to think that 10.5k is perfectly reasonable but I told them I am in at 9.5. I think its a pretty new listing so they dont have much motivation to negotiate and I just moved to an apartment 1000 feet from where I work so I dont have much motivation to negotiate either, since I hardly ever have to drive. I suspect we are at a stalemate unless the car sits for a few months.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I just moved to an apartment 1000 feet from where I work so I dont have much motivation to negotiate either, since I hardly ever have to drive.

Look into a C900. :colbert:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

West SAAB Story posted:

Look into a C900. :colbert:
Yep, this.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
So I recently bought a 2000 9-5 Aero as a project car. It's mostly in great shape, and I can fix the few issues that it does have except for one. It has a hell of a time shifting into reverse. The car came with a stack of service receipts and after reading them it became clear that the problem existed as far back as the 50,000 mile mark. (It has 156,000 miles now). Since all of the cheap fixes have been tried, (fluid change, adjusting the lockout, etc.), I'm assuming it's the syncromesh and it requires a rebuild. I can get a rebuild done for about $2000, or I can buy a used transmission for about $700. How common is this problem anyway? Will I be risking too much by buying used? Or is $2000 too much to spend on a car I'm just planning on driving on the weekends?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Can you explain the symptoms a bit more? Have you actually tried just removing (and/or replacing) the reverse lock (part 4490314)? Do you have to blip it to 2k to get it to slide in OK? Does it stay once you get it in gear? Are you having phantom non-start issues when it's been running (or not been running) for awhile?

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
It takes, on average, five or six tries to get into reverse. Sometimes shifting into another gear prior to reverse seems to help, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I get into reverse on the first try, and other times it takes ten minutes of wrestling. It seems to help if I'm rolling backwards slowly. Revving a little doesn't seem to help, the gear just feels "blocked". When it does go in, it goes in smoothly with no grinding and it stays there just fine. All of the other gears work fine.

I have not tried removing the reverse lock because I've read that it often doesn't solve the problem and it came make finding 5th difficult. Maybe it's worth a try? I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention the "phantom non-start issue".

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ltugo posted:

I have not tried removing the reverse lock because I've read that it often doesn't solve the problem and it came make finding 5th difficult. Maybe it's worth a try? I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention the "phantom non-start issue".

I've heard of bungled CPS replacements making it difficult to get into reverse, but uh.. that was once, from someone who shouldn't have been working on their own car. There is a TSB for a similar issue with NG900/93, but not for the same era 95. I'd start with the reverse lock AFTER double checking the motor mounts and (re)checking the shift linkage.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I'm not sure what they're on about. I paid $6,750 for mine and mine's got a few more doo-dads. Also a few more miles but that still seems like a lot.

Speaking of mine, today it made me unhappy. I had to make a deposit run for work, and as I was pulling away from the teller's window and running up my window, it stops 1/4 of the way up. Grabbing it by the top, I manage to "help" it up, but driving along I hear wind as if it weren't shut. Stopping for fuel (light was on, still didn't break $50 to fill her with mid-grade) I see that it's about 1/4" down. Pressing on it with my fingertips enables me to easilly slide it fully up. The switch hasn't done anything since the bank and I have to open the door to use the drive-through at Taco Hell. This displeases me, but I calmly eat my Cool Ranch Locos Tacos before going to check fuses and whatnot. Lo and behold, the window now behaves! It had been dirty with air schmootz (goddamn allergy season), and I cleaned it while I put petrol in, but I doubt that it could be that moody... could it? :ohdear:

Also the other week the whacky flip-open telescopic cup holder broke off. I've found replacements, but they're like $125, which is drat stupid. I'm seriously considering drilling out the plastic bits and fitting a steel rod in it, even if it means it no longer does its acrobatic gyrations on its own. Anyone have a better idea?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

I bet it has forgotten your settings. Run all of the windows up-down to their extents until you hear a chime. This occurs every so often on every 93SS that I've had the joy of playing with.

Also, if you are going to redo the cupholder the 'right' way, there are different ones for with/without OnStar. I'd just take it out, and rig up something like the old Ford Taurus cupholder which nearly fits.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Have an interesting issue. The radio fuse blew on me, so I replaced the fuse, it lasted a few days then that one blew as well. I went to replace it with another and the third instantly blew when it made contact with the fuse box. There is an aftermarket radio in right now and no changes have been made by me, ever. Have you heard of any issues associated with constant blowing fuses in the past? Maybe the aftermarket head unit is on its way out or giving it fits?

edit: Just remembered there's a car audio thread too, I'll ask in there.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
When my NG900 was doing that, I ended up having to tear through the entire console to find the mess where someone had connected their own amp - and of course, PO wire was bare and shorting against the mounting frame below where the cabin sensor fan lie..

baptism of fiber
Oct 17, 2004
compound
I'm looking to buy a 2004-2006 9-3, and had a couple of questions:

1- Most of the manual Arcs/Aeros I've seen on craigslist are around $7-9000. Kbb is $4500 private party, $6k from a dealer. Are these cars uncommon enough to be out of whack with KBB, or are they just being sold by people who think they have a special snowflake?

2- Is there any way to install bluetooth stereo systems on 9-3's of this vintage? How much should I expect to pay?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Did any of you guys ever buy manual transmission fluid for your SAABs? It looks like GM SAAB BOT0063 and MTF0063 is the same superior german Castrol stuff that Ford sells for $20 a quart.

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

I don't even own a SAAB and probably never will, but I just love reading this thread. I have no idea why.

e: mostly I love the pictures and your enthusiasm

Mordred fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 11, 2013

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
^^^
I can heartilly recommend that you do come to own one. They're fantastic cars; mine is the best car I've ever owned. Well-appointed, cheap to feed even on mid-grade (I've run it down to the fuel warning lamp and still not managed to spend $50 to fill it up, and you can run it on regular although there's no point since it gets better fuel economy on mid-grade than the cost savings of running it on regular). It's comfortable, quite well appointed, has good performance, none of the critical components cost a great deal of money, it looks about as good as can be hoped from a modern car. They're very well-balanced cars for most purposes, and my example, at least, is extraordinarilly capable in the snow, thanks to the close-ratio manual gearbox which lets you control quite precisely the application of power. It's great fun to drive with its good clutch and tight handling. It makes turbo noises and has nearly as much power as my old Buick. The controls are almost as well laid-out as in my MR2 which has the best layout of driver's controls of any car I've ever driven; only complaint in that regard is that it suffers from stalk disease, but so many cars do these days that it's almost impossible to get away from stalks. And there is, in the glove box, a little valve, which, when opened, admits the air conditioning into the glove box so that one might, as SAAB suggests, "Transport chocolate in a hot climate".

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

^^^

Well, here in Denmark, having a car just for fun is not really gonna happen. Not for me anyway, since they are just way too expensive. That means I'll have to get rid of my Alfa in order to buy a SAAB, and sadly, I am not seeing that happen either :) The Alfa kinda meets the criteria you mention as well (except for the fuel economy stuff). It even has an air-conditioned glove box (it's actually in the center console, but whatever) :)

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Mordred posted:

^^^

Well, here in Denmark, having a car just for fun is not really gonna happen. Not for me anyway, since they are just way too expensive. That means I'll have to get rid of my Alfa in order to buy a SAAB, and sadly, I am not seeing that happen either :) The Alfa kinda meets the criteria you mention as well (except for the fuel economy stuff). It even has an air-conditioned glove box (it's actually in the center console, but whatever) :)

The SAAB is not just for fun, I had been commuting in something that got 10-14 M.P.G., I was paying $400/month for petrol. The SAAB costs $150/month for the same driving plus $45 extra insurance. I enjoy my drives more and they seem to take less time even though I don't drive any faster.

Not to say you bought the wrong car, though, Alfas are very rare here and months can pass without seeing one. Not to get off-topic, but which Alfa do you have?

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

Red_October_7000 posted:

Not to get off-topic, but which Alfa do you have?

This, a 159:

I am so sad to see SAAB go out of business though. It was pretty high on my list of cars to possible get.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009
Welp, I impulse purchased another Aero today - a '96 Automatic this time. The only catch is it turns over but won't start. I went to see if I could get it running today. I tried the easy stuff - swapped the DIC, checked fuses, relays, changed the battery.. no luck, so it'll have to be towed home I think. Here's hoping it's just the fuel pump :ohdear:

Mordred posted:

I am so sad to see SAAB go out of business though. It was pretty high on my list of cars to possible get.

You may still be in luck. NEVS (who now own Saab) are planning to re-start production next year. It sounds like their primary focus will be on electric vehicles but supposedly they've mentioned that turbo petrol engines may be on the cards too. Let's hope it's true!

That's a beautiful Alfa by the way. The 159 is a painfully good looking car and I can only imagine it'd be a hoot to own too.

Sabmo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 16, 2013

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Sabmo posted:

Welp, I impulse purchased another Aero today - a '96 Automatic this time. The only catch is it turns over but won't start. I went to see if I could get it running today. I tried the easy stuff - swapped the DIC, checked fuses, relays, changed the battery.. no luck, so it'll have to be towed home I think. Here's hoping it's just the fuel pump :ohdear:

You may still be in luck. NEVS (who now own Saab) are planning to re-start production next year. It sounds like their primary focus will be on electric vehicles but supposedly they've mentioned that turbo petrol engines may be on the cards too. Let's hope it's true!

That's a beautiful Alfa by the way. The 159 is a painfully good looking car and I can only imagine it'd be a hoot to own too.

Will it run off ether or something like that (in a pinch you can use Carb and Choke cleaner or the like if no starting fluid is to hand)? If it catches a bit with a lungfull of such aerosol, then you've got spark and at least some compression.

That Alfa is quite good-looking!

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

Red_October_7000 posted:

Will it run off ether or something like that (in a pinch you can use Carb and Choke cleaner or the like if no starting fluid is to hand)? If it catches a bit with a lungfull of such aerosol, then you've got spark and at least some compression.

Thanks for the tip! I got ahold of some starting fluid which produced a healthy splutter, so I'm more confident now that the fuel pump has packed up. As soon as I can track down a replacement and it stops raining I'll chuck it in and hopefully that'll be that. Touch wood.

In the meantime I got it home and united with its slightly older sibling.

Le Mans blue is my favourite :neckbeard: I can't wait to give it a good wax and detail.

e: fixed image links

Sabmo fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 16, 2013

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

Sabmo posted:

That's good news. I hope they go with the petrol engines as well. I don't see myself buying an electric car anytime soon.

And thank you :)

Red_October_7000 posted:

That Alfa is quite good-looking!

... you too!

baptism of fiber
Oct 17, 2004
compound
I test drove a 2004 9-3 Aero 6-sp, and noticed that the front right tire was significantly more worn than the left. The seller mentioned something about the active diff being responsible. Is this a Very Bad Thing?

Also, is $8000 for 124k miles a decent price?

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

baptism of fiber posted:

I test drove a 2004 9-3 Aero 6-sp, and noticed that the front right tire was significantly more worn than the left. The seller mentioned something about the active diff being responsible. Is this a Very Bad Thing?

Also, is $8000 for 124k miles a decent price?

What active diff, does he mean traction control? Overpriced.

baptism of fiber
Oct 17, 2004
compound

astropika posted:

What active diff, does he mean traction control? Overpriced.

He was probably just trying to come up with something logical sounding on the spot. Thanks.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

baptism of fiber posted:

He was probably just trying to come up with something logical sounding on the spot. Thanks.

Yeah I guess so, the NG 9-3s are all open diffs until the xwd stuff, infact I don't think any saab (don't say the 92x) prior to the turbo x and the xwd cars had anything except an open diff, stock?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

baptism of fiber posted:

1- Most of the manual Arcs/Aeros I've seen on craigslist are around $7-9000. Kbb is $4500 private party, $6k from a dealer. Are these cars uncommon enough to be out of whack with KBB, or are they just being sold by people who think they have a special snowflake?

2- Is there any way to install bluetooth stereo systems on 9-3's of this vintage? How much should I expect to pay?

1) Depends on your location, and how much they've sunk into the car over the years. Most people don't want to let their car go. You also want to check NADA, it's much more accurate than KBB.

2) You can, but you don't really want to. They're much easier to mangle together in a 2007+ 93SS.

baptism of fiber posted:

That's not normal. I'd ask for a complete checkup before offering any cash and/or see the last time it was aligned and balanced.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 26, 2013

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
OK this power window thing is driving me ratshit. Intermittent failure, window sticks partway up or down, presaged briefly by sluggish operation, which is itself intermittent. Window will then not operate at all for a seemingly random period of time, from five minutes to several hours. No clicks or locked-rotor hum from inside the door or dimming of lights, as when one tries to raise/lower a window that has reached the limits of its motion. 2007 9-3 2 litre turbo (high pressure), 6MT. Auto-up windows NOT fitted, auto-down only.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Red_October_7000 posted:

OK this power window thing is driving me ratshit.

Take the door panel off and check the regulator?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

Take the door panel off and check the regulator?

I had a coupon from my mechanic for a special, $19.50 to do lube, oil, filter, and diagnose any problems. The motor was old and going bad, so I paid an exorbitant amount of money for him to fix it, along with the mysterious clunk from the driver's side front wheel. What was that, you ask? Oh, only 6"or so of coil spring that had parted company with the rest of the spring. A defect in the steel led to it rusting from the inside. Of course, I attemp to drive to work today only to discover that the tire's gone flat... :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
If your mechanic is doing Mobil 1 full synthetic and a non-fram filter for $20, I think I may have to come visit...