Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

tnimark posted:

I would like to know what this means please.

Well, I usually have a few comics perform before me. And it irritates me when I'm the only one cracking up at the fantastic comics that come before me. I have a sort of "choose your own adventure" for the audience, depending on how they react. Not to me-- but to my colleagues. I would never compare myself to the greats like Hicks and Burr that were linked in the prior post, but in essence, the tone of my crowd work and my general comic trajectory depends on how responsive the audience is. For example, I had an audience in a place that didn't serve alcohol, so they were incredibly uptight. They were good tonight, so I didn't troll them. But their response dictates whether or not I tell jokes that I think are funny, and also think the audience will appreciate, or if I get up there with the sole purpose of amusing myself.

And again, this isn't about me. If I go up there and bomb-- that's cool. It doesn't bother me. But when I'm the only one laughing at my colleagues' jokes, then it pisses me off. Every audience is different.

edit: If anyone is an aspiring stand-up comic, or just wants to do it for a hobby, but feel a lack of confidence or are considering paying someone to give them lessons... Just hit me up. I love stand-up, and I think it's an under appreciated art form, and happen to know a lot about it because I'm a cripple and have been immersed in the culture, and made many friends, for all of my adult life. I'm not trying to act like I'm hot poo poo-- I'm not, at all. But if you're interested, just PM me. If not, it's cool, and you can tell me to gently caress off.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Ok, gently caress off.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

escape artist posted:

When you deal with the hecklers I do at shows, it kind of becomes ingrained in you (I love hecklers, by the way, because I destroy them). It's reflexive, knee-jerk poo poo. You always have to be ready to strike back. I was just "hazed" into a "fraternity" of comics and I'm sort of in that state of mind.

I'm not making excuses, just explaining my thought process. I apologize for coming off as a dick.

Also, I'm a cripple in chronic pain, so add the "constantly mad at the world" aspect and you can understand my disposition. I'm working on the anger and defensive issues, though. So again, I apologize.

What the gently caress are you going on about?!

It's also one thing if a crowd is outwardly hostile immediately but if they aren't laughing its pretty lovely to just "troll" them. There is an audience performer relationship thing going but you should remember your job is still to entertain. Not to make a point.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

escape artist posted:

Well, I usually have a few comics perform before me. And it irritates me when I'm the only one cracking up at the fantastic comics that come before me. I have a sort of "choose your own adventure" for the audience, depending on how they react. Not to me-- but to my colleagues. I would never compare myself to the greats like Hicks and Burr that were linked in the prior post, but in essence, the tone of my crowd work and my general comic trajectory depends on how responsive the audience is. For example, I had an audience in a place that didn't serve alcohol, so they were incredibly uptight. They were good tonight, so I didn't troll them. But their response dictates whether or not I tell jokes that I think are funny, and also think the audience will appreciate, or if I get up there with the sole purpose of amusing myself.

And again, this isn't about me. If I go up there and bomb-- that's cool. It doesn't bother me. But when I'm the only one laughing at my colleagues' jokes, then it pisses me off. Every audience is different.

You've been doing it for like a month and you're already talking about how you change the tone of your set depending on the reaction of the audience instead of just always trying to be as funny as you can. I guarantee that if you're talking like this in real life to experienced comics, they all loving hate you.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Bitches gonna bitch, most especially on here.

Go ahead and continue bashing me on here, strangers. :allears: Continue telling me how to perform despite having never done a show yourself, and don't forget to douse your comments in a thick layer of self-righteous indignation.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 15, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012
How difficult is it to be up there performing if you're, in your words, a "cripple"?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Ah, the old "you're not in a band and can't play an instrument, therefore your opinions on music are invalid" argument, only applied to standup.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

Go ahead and continue bashing me on here, strangers. :allears: Continue telling me how to perform despite having never done a show yourself, and don't forget to douse your comments in a thick layer of self-righteous indignation.

Ok, well I've done somewhere between 500 and 1000 shows in a couple of dozen states, so I'll tell you: Other comics hate you.

If a crowd is lovely, it's because you're not entertaining them. So the crowd is small or the crowd is sober, that means you actually have to be funny to make them laugh. You have to adapt. Making a 300 seat room that's sro and all drunk an hour before the show laugh is easy. Anyone can do it, and I'm sure you have little trouble. But if you can kill in front of 7 people, or a stone cold sober crowd, then you have talent. But you don't, so you troll them. Whatever the gently caress that means. Just remember, it's not the crowd's fault that you suck.

No club owner is going to be impressed with your crowd work. Crowd work is easy. The crowd will laugh at dumber poo poo because they think you just thought of it, versus your prepared material. And when a guy hits the stage and immediately starts dipping, that's a sure sign that he's poo poo. It's no surprise that you enjoy the crowd work more than your prepared material because your prepared material probably isn't very good. I wouldn't expect it to be, since you've only been doing it a month. But instead of focusing on writing good material, you just want to troll the crowd. Who knows, maybe you'll be the first comic in the history of comedy to get his own special where he does nothing but crowd work. Actually, I know, and you won't.

And saying that the folks that consume your product, the ones that ultimately pay for it, are in no position to judge what you do makes you dumber than the hecklers you think you're destroying. By the way, how many of your heckler comebacks are stock? Are you destroying them be telling them you don't come to their job at the bus station and knock the dicks out of their mouth? I bet you do.

Bottom line, doing a bunch of open mics doesn't make you a comic, but I'm sure you're already telling your friends that you're ready to feature. Get some perspective and a few more years under your belt, then come back and read your posts. I think you'll be surprised.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

escape artist posted:

Speaking as the guy who told you a month ago "Stop obsessing over writing your set and just go on stage", you really need to bomb. I'm saying this with empathy and no negativity, you really, really need to bomb so you will stop thinking in this manner. "Trolling the audience"? The gently caress? You mentioned something that your open mics let you have ten (ten!?!?!?) minutes so clearly you're in some small rear end town. I'm still confused as to what trolling the audience is? You went from open mics to regular shows in a month? So you're making fun of audiences who have to put up with a month-long comic that thinks he's better than them? Or fellow open micers?

And like someone said, don't speak this way around the other comics or they will hate you.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ok, well I've done somewhere between 500 and 1000 shows in a couple of dozen states, so I'll tell you: Other comics hate you.

If a crowd is lovely, it's because you're not entertaining them. So the crowd is small or the crowd is sober, that means you actually have to be funny to make them laugh. You have to adapt. Making a 300 seat room that's sro and all drunk an hour before the show laugh is easy. Anyone can do it, and I'm sure you have little trouble. But if you can kill in front of 7 people, or a stone cold sober crowd, then you have talent. But you don't, so you troll them. Whatever the gently caress that means. Just remember, it's not the crowd's fault that you suck.

No club owner is going to be impressed with your crowd work. Crowd work is easy. The crowd will laugh at dumber poo poo because they think you just thought of it, versus your prepared material. And when a guy hits the stage and immediately starts dipping, that's a sure sign that he's poo poo. It's no surprise that you enjoy the crowd work more than your prepared material because your prepared material probably isn't very good. I wouldn't expect it to be, since you've only been doing it a month. But instead of focusing on writing good material, you just want to troll the crowd. Who knows, maybe you'll be the first comic in the history of comedy to get his own special where he does nothing but crowd work. Actually, I know, and you won't.

And saying that the folks that consume your product, the ones that ultimately pay for it, are in no position to judge what you do makes you dumber than the hecklers you think you're destroying. By the way, how many of your heckler comebacks are stock? Are you destroying them be telling them you don't come to their job at the bus station and knock the dicks out of their mouth? I bet you do.

Bottom line, doing a bunch of open mics doesn't make you a comic, but I'm sure you're already telling your friends that you're ready to feature. Get some perspective and a few more years under your belt, then come back and read your posts. I think you'll be surprised.

:drat:

Let me fetch you a nice blue ribbon, you deserve it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ok so escape artist isn't a pro but I'd like too hear about his experiences as a disabled stand up.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Nothing I do is stock, and you're right, crowd work is easy. It's also a lot of fun.

I've been writing for many, many years. I have only written jokes that I have felt comfortable doing for less than a year. Between characters, sketches, and just pure stand-up, I have enough to fill an album. But I'm not going to do that, yet. The only recordings I have of myself are for myself, so I can work on my delivery, see what works and what doesn't work, etc. I'm very aware of the dues I'm going to have to pay here if I ever expect to make a living doing this.

I have written jokes for other comics before I ever got on-stage. I constantly help another comic re-write jokes. I'm always in the front row during a showcase, and I'm always the one laughing the hardest.

I have bombed before, plenty. What I thought was my lamest prepared material, gets the best laughs. What I thought was my most clever joke, got no laughs. If you think bombing is going to make me stop doing it, it's not. Also, I don't "troll" the audience like Hicks or Burr or any of those other people do it. It has to be subtle and mostly harmless. There are 3 jokes that I have for those situations. That's pretty much the only thing you're not allowed to do-- attack polite, paying customers. Hecklers are few and far between, but taking care of them is easy. It's just another form of crowd work.

Yes, there are a handful of comics that hate me. Some you see on Comedy Central. But for each one that hates me, there's another score that appreciate me. One of my childhood heroes contacted me and said he liked what I did, and that he would help me in any way he could.

It's fascinating that your 500-1000 shows allow you to speak for every comic in the world, none more fascinating than my friends who make their living doing it. One of my "ins" in the business was promotion and booking comics that were my friends. That wins you a lot of good favor.

As for the cripple thing-- I did say half a cripple. I have issues with my hip and leg, on one side. I walk with a cane. When I absolutely cannot perform without it, I'll make a joke to lighten the mood: "I was hoping this accessory would bring an air of sophistication to my dick jokes." "No pity laughter, please. However I am open to pity fucks." Generally, I just lean on the microphone stand (as I would my cane) and have some painkillers and drinks before a show. It's a topic that makes people uncomfortable, so I do my best to hide it from the audience.

Yes, I came off as an arrogant rear end in a top hat last night. That's because I am one, but the two dozen shows I've done in a month don't have anything to do with that. I had two major coups this week, and one the week before.

(My computer is about to crash so I am submitting this incomplete reply so as not to lose it all.)

Also, if you want to set up an IRC channel or bring this to a different thread, more appropriate thread, I think we should, since, you know, this is about the WTF podcast and I'm sure we're annoying the poo poo out of someone. You guys have made it clear that I am. I don't care either way, though.

As for my friends, no, I don't tell them I'm ready to feature. Once again, you make a presumption and it's way off the mark. It's the opposite. My friends think I'm great, and have made huge strides. I tell them to dial it down, because I haven't done poo poo yet. They magnify every laugh I get, every gig I get, every facet of what I do. I have an opportunity to open for a major act in the Fall, and I'm probably not going to do it, because I am still way too green.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 15, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Flash Gordon-- are you based in NYC, perchance?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

escape artist posted:

Generally, I just lean on the microphone stand (as I would my cane) and have some painkillers and drinks before a show.

Go with the pills or the booze, but not both. You'll destroy your liver pretty fast with that combo.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Analytic Engine posted:

Go with the pills or the booze, but not both. You'll destroy your liver pretty fast with that combo.
I never mix anything that has acetaminophen with alcohol. But yeah, I know, it's still dangerous. I tried to commit suicide, survived (absolute dumb luck), was taken hospital and then spent some time in rehab last year.

Being in pain, legitimately 100% of the time, even when you sleep... well, it takes its toll on your sanity. Not endorsing my behavior, by any means, but it is what it is.

edit: Flash and I made up and now we're two lovebirds. But he should clean out his PM box because it's full!

As for the equivocation of "you can't judge music because you don't play an instrument." You're right, that is what my argument was, and it's a poo poo one. So let me revise it: you haven't seen me on stage, so you can't judge it. You don't judge a band's music just because you know one of the members is an insufferable prick.

We can continue this derail. But I'd prefer to get back on the show. I had a tantrum. It's over.

Who would you most like to see interviewed by Maron on the podcast and why?

escape artist fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 15, 2013

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

escape artist, they made a thread just for you!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3501091&perpage=40&pagenumber=180

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Cool! Thanks for the heads up.

Back on track:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey escape, I cleaned out my inbox so your pm can get through.

here comes cask
Jul 7, 2003
Hey escape, I emptied out my trash can so there's room for your jokes, your condescending, bland dickhead attitude, and your life and everything about you.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

here comes cask posted:

Hey escape, I emptied out my trash can so there's room for your jokes, your condescending, bland dickhead attitude, and your life and everything about you.

You'll need a dumpster or two, minimum.

Seriously, go do something constructive with that ire of yours. It's misspent on me.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 16, 2013

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Roll with those punches!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I was going to mention how terrible this derail is but it seems like it jibes with the spirit of Marc Maron.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Write more jokes and less forum posts.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I was going to mention how terrible this derail is but it seems like it jibes with the spirit of Marc Maron.

This one loving million times. This is not a derail, this is Maron 2.0. And I mean that in the best possible way.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
This is like someone telling all the jealous hater in the NBA thread to gently caress off because he played basketball in the park twice. Which is to say it's great fun.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

escape artist posted:

Seriously, go do something constructive with that ire of yours. It's misspent on me.

Man you're destroyin these hecklers

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

escape artist posted:

As for the cripple thing-- I did say half a cripple. I have issues with my hip and leg, on one side. I walk with a cane. When I absolutely cannot perform without it, I'll make a joke to lighten the mood: "I was hoping this accessory would bring an air of sophistication to my dick jokes." "No pity laughter, please. However I am open to pity fucks." Generally, I just lean on the microphone stand (as I would my cane) and have some painkillers and drinks before a show. It's a topic that makes people uncomfortable, so I do my best to hide it from the audience.

Wow. No wonder this guy kills it in the clubs.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

escape artist posted:

I would love for Marc to interview one or all of the members of the Firesign Theater. I suggested this to him after one of his shows and he confessed he'd never been into them.

As far as stand-ups go, the two obvious ones for me are Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby. I'd also like to see him interview Dan Whitney AKA Larry The Cable Guy. I hate Larry, but hopefully it would be either an angry walk-off like Gallagher, or an insightful look at the art of comedy from an unlikely source (actually, I'd like to see Maron interview Jeff Foxworthy and Ron White as well. It would be interesting to hear what they have in common with Marc and what they don't.)

I love it when he branches out into people who are involved with comedy but not stand-ups (loved his interviews with Dan Harmon and the Onion writer. Can't wait for Sedaris.) So, on that note, I would really like him to interview a cartoonist, like Gary Trudeau, Gary Larson, or Bill Watterson.

And wouldn't an interview with Al Franken be cool?

But of course, the holy grail would be Lorne Michaels. Might very well be boring, but seriously, after all that talk, he should just interview Lorne and then quit.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I love it when he branches out into people who are involved with comedy but not stand-ups (loved his interviews with Dan Harmon and the Onion writer. Can't wait for Sedaris.) So, on that note, I would really like him to interview a cartoonist, like Gary Trudeau, Gary Larson, or Bill Watterson.

Ward Sutton, in character as Stan Kelly, Onion cartoonist would be a hilarious. Someone must forward him this idea!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I would love for Marc to interview one or all of the members of the Firesign Theater. I suggested this to him after one of his shows and he confessed he'd never been into them.

As far as stand-ups go, the two obvious ones for me are Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby. I'd also like to see him interview Dan Whitney AKA Larry The Cable Guy. I hate Larry, but hopefully it would be either an angry walk-off like Gallagher, or an insightful look at the art of comedy from an unlikely source (actually, I'd like to see Maron interview Jeff Foxworthy and Ron White as well. It would be interesting to hear what they have in common with Marc and what they don't.)

And wouldn't an interview with Al Franken be cool?

But of course, the holy grail would be Lorne Michaels. Might very well be boring, but seriously, after all that talk, he should just interview Lorne and then quit.

Al Franken, in light of the recent NSA thing, would be fascinating. Does Bill Murray give a good interview? I'd like to hear some stuff about the Chevy Chase incident.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Marc Maron interviewing Bill Murray could be epic.

I'd like to see Maron interview Lemmy. They're both big rock 'n roll fans and Lemmy must have a ton of fun stories about comics who opened for Motorhead and either killed or bombed. Plus there's all the great "rock band on tour" stories and Lemmy's own life in rock. He seems likes a difficult interview, though, since he's never very forthcoming & he has a low bullshit tolerance. As soon as Maron started going on about his issues, Lemmy would probably say, "I'm not a therapist mate. We talkin' 'bout you or me?"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I'd also like to see him interview Dan Whitney AKA Larry The Cable Guy. I hate Larry, but hopefully it would be either an angry walk-off like Gallagher, or an insightful look at the art of comedy from an unlikely source (actually, I'd like to see Maron interview Jeff Foxworthy and Ron White as well. It would be interesting to hear what they have in common with Marc and what they don't.)

I'm not into his comedy, but I think he's a lot smarter than he lets on and he knows exactly what he's doing. A real honest interview with him out of character could be fascinating, though I don't know if Marc could get one out of him. He's pretty much locked into the character he got famous for doing and if he ever wanted to change his schtick... well, he couldn't do that, could he? What's that gotta feel like? Then again, he got filthy rich with that schtick, so maybe it feels great.

I agree that Jeff Foxworthy and Ron White would also be interesting for various reasons. Bill Engvall, not so much, because I've never gotten the impression that there's anything interesting about Bill Engvall.

Jeff Dunham is another one that could be interesting. His act is so drat racist.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm not into his comedy, but I think he's a lot smarter than he lets on and he knows exactly what he's doing.

I forget who, but I think some comedians have actually spoken about this at some point (although obviously not David Cross) and confirmed that it is the case.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

ChickenArise posted:

I forget who, but I think some comedians have actually spoken about this at some point (although obviously not David Cross) and confirmed that it is the case.

I know Jimmy Pardo has mentioned working with him back when he was performing under his real name and had nothing but nice things to say about him.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

On a recent Todd Barry podcast he and his guest discussed working with Larry in Florida in the pre-Cable Guy days. They had nothing but nice things to say.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah by all accounts he's a guy who realized he could be a millionaire if he stuck with a stupid gimmick, and chose to go the money route. Can't really blame the guy if his career wasn't taking him anywhere and he has two kids to take care of. Gotta git r done, etc.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
There was a great joke somewhere, maybe one of the roasts, that said he developed the Larry the Cable Guy character because his first character-- "Dan The Comedian"-- was poorly received.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Monday is the 400th episode, and the guest is... Iggy Pop.

Holy poo poo that is going to be amazing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The Berzerker posted:

Monday is the 400th episode, and the guest is... Iggy Pop.

Holy poo poo that is going to be amazing.

Oh that will be amazing. I don't even generally like the music ones but that one makes me excited.

How was the Kristen Schaal episode? I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

escape artist posted:

Oh that will be amazing. I don't even generally like the music ones but that one makes me excited.

How was the Kristen Schaal episode? I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.

The Schaal episode is alright mostly because she is so sweet. Not very funny or anything though.

• Locked thread