Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stuntman posted:

From what's been shown so far, it's actually looking to be pretty sweet. They're planning to try and do actual jokes this time around that don't rely on a mish-mash of Asian stereotypes, so there's that to look forward to as well.

There's been a bunch of hands-on previews of the new Shadow Warrior, and the general vibe I get is:

It's very, very pretty. Much more colourful than 99% of games.
It's genuinely funny, and still pretty crude without being offensive.
It's actually a pretty solid shooter. You have directional melee, magic powers and guns, and enemies have locational damage.
The demo showed to press had Lo Wang singing along to Stan Bush's 'The Touch' on the radio.

Can't wait to try it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dominic White posted:

There's been a bunch of hands-on previews of the new Shadow Warrior, and the general vibe I get is:

It's very, very pretty. Much more colourful than 99% of games.
It's genuinely funny, and still pretty crude without being offensive.
It's actually a pretty solid shooter. You have directional melee, magic powers and guns, and enemies have locational damage.
The demo showed to press had Lo Wang singing along to Stan Bush's 'The Touch' on the radio.

Can't wait to try it myself.
Got a link to any of the press demos? The only gameplay I could find was little bits cut into a interview.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stuntman posted:

Got a link to any of the press demos? The only gameplay I could find was little bits cut into a interview.

I don't think any video has really been released, but there's a few previews.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/technology/gadgets/shadow-warrior-makes-impressive-debutagain
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...-best-ways.aspx

I think there's a couple others floating about.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Can someone recommend me a Quake map set that is of substantial length but not too difficult (preferably no harder than the original game, because I suck at Quake and especially suck at anything involving vores)?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Woolie Wool posted:

Can someone recommend me a Quake map set that is of substantial length but not too difficult (preferably no harder than the original game, because I suck at Quake and especially suck at anything involving vores)?

If you want an actual related set/series of maps then you could filter the Quaddicted archive with the "episode" tag:

http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/?filtered=episode

Not sure about the difficulty level. There's a range of intepretation of how difficult Hard or Nightmare mode should be, but I think most maps are pretty forgiving on Easy? I guess for one thing you could avoid anything tagged "hard". :) Or "horde".

If you haven't tried some of the classics like Zerstörer or Beyond Belief then that might be a good place to start. Stuff released in 1997 might not be assuming that the player will be some jaded decades-experienced Quake superman.

E: Be sure to read the comments (on Quaddicted) to see if there are any fixes/gotchas that you need to be aware of.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 14, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stuntman posted:

Ask and ye shall receive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6mWLTrrCI

Honestly it looks pretty solid. I love all the colors and the balls out attitude, reminds me of Blood Dragon.

Level design looks decent too; not too big, not too small.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Tewratomeh posted:

I wasn't even being sarcastic, I genuinely liked that they had Doomcenter as a menu option. And I enjoyed both story campaigns, even if I didn't make it too far in either one because I had no idea what was happening or how to proceed. But you can't not love a game that has you brutally killing people in Heaven and facing off against God (represented by some Italian guy I don't know... I'm sure it'd be biting satire if I knew who it was), then in the very next level you're driving a racecar around on a track filled with people and more priests... and also Jesus.

It's just completely insane, and I think I love it :allears:
Oh man, Grezzo. :allears:

I honestly had a lot of fun with that game when I discovered it a while back. It's a seriously hosed up trip through a doom/duke mod that you probably would have made in your highschool days. It's really offensive on a lot of levels, but that's on purpose and should be seen as satire. When playing, I was very much reminded of the olden days. Think like when Blood came out. The guns are fun, have a ton of alternate functions, and there is a truckload of them. Yeah, a bunch of assets are stolen and mashed together, but that's part of the charm.

If people care, check out the website and :rms:

You can even pay the creator some money, and he'll send you a copy with a custom made box, manual and a poster. Obviously, you're paying for the goodies and not for the game since it is free and would be illegal to sell. The creator is currently producing a "DLC Edition" with more content and levels, and it should be released in the near future.

I really have a lot to say about Grezzo, but don't want to clog the thread too much with it. I was planning, and still kinda do, to include a full playthrough in some sort of "Short FPS" mega thread. But I'm cautious as of now, since it may be too much for the forums. And the language barrier is also a thing. Due to that plan, I contacted the author and had a little chat with him about the game, and sent him some questions. Have a few blurbs of my "Interview", but know that Nicola isn't that good with English.

What is the story?

Nicola Piro posted:

There is no real plot in the game, basically you take the role of a pissed off farmer in a killing spree against everybody. "grezzo" in italian means "rude", "crude", "raw" as the main character is.
The game starts in a church, where your grandparents celebrate their wedding anniversary; you broke in and ruin the celebration till a living and angry manifestation of Jesus Christ appears as first boss. Your main character hates christian religion like many italian people: we really can't stand the power of the pope and his bullshit, so this game can be viewed as satyre against church. the second level takes place in your home, you're bored as hell and decide to smash your balls with a hammer. you die after exiting your home, due to unknown causes (you simply EXPLODE) and go to heaven, where God stops you by saying that "you can't go to heaven if you live this lovely life, you have to whip your balls when you feel every kind of selfish pleasure" and crap like that (i will add subtitles and english text soon as i can) and then you fight him. after escape heaven, you will return to earth. your escape from heaven had resurrected some death folks (those zombies) and you fight against them with Emilio Fede (a famous and crappy italian anchorman). Then the game goes on, putting the main character in some different situations (a demented circus, a frankenstein-esque horror laboratory, a town during Christmas festivity) and every of them is fullfilled with italian trash (i think that many of the jokes and situations are impossibile to understand from a different country because they are satyrical against the stupid, ridicolous and criminal italian society and television) it's like i take the worst of my country and put it in a extremely politically-uncorrect videogame, to shock someone and entertain the others, but mostly for the laughs.

What does the guy tell you on the bus?

Nicola Piro posted:

that guy it's me! i'm speaking to the "grezzo dude" askin him to kill himself because i'm sick of makin the game! due to some problems i had to stop the making of the game, but now i'm fully ready and operational for new additional content, like new levels, enemy and weapons of course, that will be released with the first patch

I assume that the bus is also the last level? I coulnd't leave it, and noclipped through the level. As there was no blue key, I cheated one in to see what happens. This brought me back to heaven and the game kind of looped again. Am I right to assume that you haven't made more content after that point?

Nicola Piro posted:

yes, the game will be looped for now, until i release the new content. the game just ending by killin yourself and return to heaven, to repeat your journey again and again
As said, new content is on the way and the campaign will be a good deal longer.

How did you deal with the negative reactions to the game? Did they affect your design at all?

Nicola Piro posted:

nope. i just don't care about people complaining about the game, it's satyre after all and i'm free to.
some of them blame grezzo2 to stole various assets from other games/mods and it's true, but i couldn't care less. that game it's meant to be in that way, as an atomic piece of crap badly done, full of misplaced and stolen things and i always specify the nature of the game and where i ripped the stuff. if people can't deal with it it's their problem, not mine. other people are offended by the blasphemy and antireligious themes (like parents and some bigots) and i tell them to go gently gently caress themselves because if you don't like these themes, just don't play those games. I mean, if i hate dogs, i never play Nintendogs, it can be a lovely game and i maybe hate that but i will never write to Nintendo complaining that their game sucks and they will all go to hell, who cares! live and let live, so i just don't listen to those fuckers.

I had a neat chat with Nicola, and he seemed like a cool dude. Not what I expected after playing the game. :v:

E:vvvvv
Awesome! I'll check that out right away.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 14, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The English patch is done and on his site too.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It was hard to tell if Grezzo was a poo poo wad on purpose, or made by a crazy person; so job well done. He stole the WHATDAFUCK.WAD juggalo right? That wasn't his too was it?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I used to know who the author of WHATDAFUCK.WAD was, but it's not that guy (pretty sure it was some Skulltag player with "420" in their username or something)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, his name escapes me. I used to play with him on his server a bunch. It was a coop/dm server called Toke N Play, and I did. I don't condone it, but Skulltag was a good place to go stupid doo doo dumb with poo poo wads. That wad was disturbing in a bad way, but it's like a car wreck.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

daft punk railroad posted:

I used to know who the author of WHATDAFUCK.WAD was, but it's not that guy (pretty sure it was some Skulltag player with "420" in their username or something)

I remember stumbling into this by accident and being confused as hell. I don't know what it is about really old games that makes people want to make loving insane mods for them, but that certainly was one of the strangest I've come across.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I never actually played it, but I had kind of observed it from the sidelines a few times and had a kind of morbid interest in trying it. I don't know if I should consider it obsoleted by Grezzo 2 now or what, but there's always some kind of morbid hilarity in enjoying the works of anonymous 15-year-old stoners modding old games.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

daft punk railroad posted:

I never actually played it, but I had kind of observed it from the sidelines a few times and had a kind of morbid interest in trying it. I don't know if I should consider it obsoleted by Grezzo 2 now or what, but there's always some kind of morbid hilarity in enjoying the works of anonymous 15-year-old stoners modding old games.

Nah, whatdafuck is still worth playing. In some ways it's even better. Make sure you turn your sound effects volume down first though, it gets very loud.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
GOG is spotlighting that Deus Ex mod the thread was talking about some pages ago.

I didn't even know GOG had mod spotlights.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

GOG is spotlighting that Deus Ex mod the thread was talking about some pages ago.

I didn't even know GOG had mod spotlights.

They've done that already with D&D games like baldur's gate, Planescape Torment and so. They have nice guides on how to mod some of the games they have.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

tooooooo bad posted:

The English patch is done and on his site too.

I'm glad I found out about this, because it at least makes the menus easier to navigate. Also, it apparently has the latest patch included, and it seems to have added some things. Maybe. I didn't dig too hard in the game before, and didn't make it that far in the story mode.

That aside, does anybody know anything about making multiplayer games in Skulltag? Because I'd like to get in on some multiplayer Grezzo 2 sometime.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Speaking of GOG, Painkiller is on sale this weekend!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

http://quakeone.com/travail/download.html

Just ran into something I remembered from a long time ago--the Travail mod for Quake 1. If you like absolutely, mind-blowingly humongous maps, this is for you. They're really well-built and detailed too although it's easy to get hung up on some of the detail.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 15, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Has anyone had any success getting the Steam version of Shadow Warrior to play nice with source ports? It runs like loving rear end in DOSBox.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
How well has Quake Live been doing lately in terms of player base? I forgot about it for a couple years now and just reinstalled, Quake II was my first FPS and it feels like home every time. Are these subscription things worthwhile? Is there not a way to change my name without making a new account?

Reive
May 21, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

Has anyone had any success getting the Steam version of Shadow Warrior to play nice with source ports? It runs like loving rear end in DOSBox.

It works fine in the one from the OP, but by fine I mean it still has really bad mouse control.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

extra stout posted:

How well has Quake Live been doing lately in terms of player base? I forgot about it for a couple years now and just reinstalled, Quake II was my first FPS and it feels like home every time. Are these subscription things worthwhile? Is there not a way to change my name without making a new account?

They've cut from the free map pool so much it is more like a demo than an actual f2p game now. Quake 3 is still the better alternative thanks to it's modifiability and lack of a subscription.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

I used this guide somebody posted on Steam. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149023317

Keep in mind that it does not load the audio files that dosbox does, you'll have to get the audio files from the disc for that. Make sure to use the version of SWP he says to use to avoid the save bug.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

I had a neat chat with Nicola, and he seemed like a cool dude.

Yeah, he took a whole bunch of stuff other people made, put it in a wad, tried to sell it for money (which admittedly he stopped once Sarge Mk IV asked him to), only made a list of credits when he was called out on it, and now is going on record saying "i couldn't care less. [...] if people can't deal with it it's their problem, not mine".

You're right, seems like an awesome guy.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 16, 2013

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Sometimes I wonder if there's anything I care less about than mods being used in a manner that the author doesn't want it to.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Sometimes I wonder if there's anything I care less about than mods being used in a manner that the author doesn't want it to.

Well, try thinking about it this way:

Imagine Microsoft took a bunch of code from the Linux kernel. Nay, imagine they took multiple versions of the Linux kernel, customized it for their own needs, and then used all of that as the base of the Windows Millenium kernel. And then imagine that they didn't give anyone in the Linux community credit for it.

How would that make you feel? (Probably the exact same way.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The charging money for chunks of other people's hobby work without so much as asking part is the key dick move here. Everything else is just ignoring common courtesy.

But hey, here's a distraction before we delve into car analogies: a four hour long Quake movie from the bad old days before Source Filmmaker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UaiDBJMhjM

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Woolie Wool posted:

http://quakeone.com/travail/download.html

Just ran into something I remembered from a long time ago--the Travail mod for Quake 1. If you like absolutely, mind-blowingly humongous maps, this is for you. They're really well-built and detailed too although it's easy to get hung up on some of the detail.

You know, I don't think I ever played this back in the day. I'm running through it now using Fitzquake Mark V and it's pretty great, old-schoolishly. The geometry doesn't have the lovingly polished detail of some smaller and more recent maps, but I love the swiss-cheese map topology.

The soundtrack is good too. FWIW, to make it play correctly with Fitzquake Mark V I had to:
- create a travail/music subdirectory
- put the mp3 files in there
- rename each mp3 file to the "standard" form, i.e. T01.mp3 -> track01.mp3, and etc.

I imagine you'd need to do the same if you're using QuakeSpasm or DirectQ. (Other popular engines won't play the MP3s.)

One last comment: I got a weird vibe from the first demo in the attract reel, since it showed a map that looked like one that I remember seeing in a bunch of tournament duels in Quake Live. Since I was thinking of Travail as an "old Quake mod" and I didn't think that the QL map had originally been a Quake map, that was a surprise. It turns out that both the Travail map and the QL map are based on a Q3 Team Arena map, and Travail was released in 2007 (before QL but well after Q3TA) so it's not that old after all.

Two screenshots of that map:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The website says they intentionally copied a part of House of Decay in one level of Travail and intended for people to notice the similarity.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Did you run across any of the new monsters in the first two maps of episode 1? I didn't, and I'm wondering if maybe the mod's progs.dat isn't being used for some reason.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wasn't the Grezzo guy offering the game itself as a free download and just charging for feelies in the first place? Unless that in and of itself is a major no-no, I don't really see where the argument that he was charging money for others' work comes from.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

Wasn't the Grezzo guy offering the game itself as a free download and just charging for feelies in the first place? Unless that in and of itself is a major no-no, I don't really see where the argument that he was charging money for others' work comes from.

Yes. I don't know how you can complain about him charging for things that he borrowed from other people when he's still giving it away for free on his website.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also SGT_MarkIV is a loving horrible person and I can't hate anybody who fucks him over.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

WickedIcon posted:

Also SGT_MarkIV is a loving horrible person and I can't hate anybody who fucks him over.

I could sort-of understand the hate for the Grezzo guy, but the creator of Brutal Doom? :allears:

I actually like that mod. And he seems to be trying to work on some new high resolution models on the zdoom forums...

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

WickedIcon posted:

Wasn't the Grezzo guy offering the game itself as a free download and just charging for feelies in the first place?
In the first place? No. He was originally giving the demo for free and the full game would be worth cash euros.
Now he's only charging for feelies.
Now he has a credit list.

If that was how it started out, there wouldn't be a problem at all.

EDIT: Well, no, there probably still would be, but that would certainly have gone a very far way into keeping other modders from getting upset. :v:

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 17, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's a dick move but I can't say I'm too broken up about it all the same. A lot of sprites and such in the mod scene are stolen.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Supreme Power posted:

I could sort-of understand the hate for the Grezzo guy, but the creator of Brutal Doom? :allears:

I actually like that mod. And he seems to be trying to work on some new high resolution models on the zdoom forums...
A while back, he put a racist-rear end joke in the source code, then proceeded to claim that doesn't make him racist. It's less about mod quality and more about being a lovely human being.

Stunt_enby fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 17, 2013

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Brutal Doom was ok the first time, but in the long run it's actually pretty lovely just based on how unbalanced it is for vanilla WADs and all of the gross unnecessary features.

If you enjoy killing an imp/zombieguy and having their torso crawl around screaming and bleeding for 5 minutes then be my guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's a dick move but I can't say I'm too broken up about it all the same. A lot of sprites and such in the mod scene are stolen.

I don't know if they're still doing this, but for a while the Doom community was tearing people apart for daring to use assets from community resource packs in their own mods.