Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stanley Pain posted:

Sounds close to the issue I had. Pretty sure it's Bell loving something up on their end where you'll just start getting rolling disconnects.

It's worth checking, but the Sagemcom has a known issue where it will cease creating new connections when there are a (somewhat) large number of active connections (e.g. bittorrent). If the existing streaming connections aren't dropping then it's definitely not a line sync issue. Google "Sagemcom 2864 sync no surf" to see what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
So I'm getting pretty pissed off with TekSavvy lately. I've been getting intermittent disconnects a few times a day on my cable connection. It started about two months ago and I was using a DCM475 that apparently had old firmware and wasn't supported anymore. The tech support people told me to buy a new modem, so I picked up a Motorola Surfboard SB6121. And I still get the disconnects.

Now they're telling me Rogers won't come out to test the lines or whatever they do as when they check remotely my signal levels are fine. They also advised me to upgrade the firmware on the Surfboard and referred to me to some guy on the DSLR boards.

Anyone deal with poo poo like this? I mean, I guess I'll upgrade the firmware but I'm wondering if I should just switch to DSL or maybe another carrier to get a more reliable connection. It feels like TSI controls so little of the connection that they can't really troubleshoot anything.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

It's 2013 and I can't stream a 360p YouTube video without TONS of buffering. What the gently caress.

Teksavvy 25/2.5 cable in BC. This has been happening for the last couple of months, at least.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Lemons posted:

It's 2013 and I can't stream a 360p YouTube video without TONS of buffering. What the gently caress.

Teksavvy 25/2.5 cable in BC. This has been happening for the last couple of months, at least.

A few pages back (I think) people were posting some information on how to avoid local content caching servers and get non poo poo video service.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We had an extra computer lying around so we were experimenting with VMWare and running a web server. We then discovered that we can't actually change any of the settings on our Telus (Optik) Actiontec modem. We can't even port forward on it. We used to, because I was able to set up port forwarding to be able to remote into my home PC from work, but the firmware updates since then seem to have locked down all the settings to the point where it's kind of pointless to even give us an "admin" login. I did some googling and it looks like there used to be some passwords to get functionality back, but the latest firmware updates changed that too. I'm not really interested in rebooting it to factory and scrambling to make changes before it has a chance to update itself...

We have Optik 25. What modem/router options are there if we decide to just buy our own hardware? We have an old WRT300N but I'm assuming it won't be able to handle newer signals.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lemons posted:

http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-sucks-for-youtube-twitchtv/

The discussion about it in this thread started here if you need more help:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361500&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=93

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, I did that on my DD-WRT router and it made no difference.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Any suggestions on ISPs in Kingston near Queen's? I know areas have their own idiosyncrasies. In my part of Hamilton, cable was basically unusable years ago so DSL was the way to go. Now it's reversed - cable infrastructure upgraded and it's amazing while DSL is awful.

Should I go with Start, TSI DSL or TSI Cable? I don't want to get involved with Bell, Rogers & friends if possible.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Shofixti posted:

Should I go with Start, TSI DSL or TSI Cable? I don't want to get involved with Bell, Rogers & friends if possible.
You are hosed either way, neither will really try to make using a third party easier. I've subscribed to DSL and cable through TekSavvy in the past and found them pretty comparable, however DSL has been more reliable. This is in the Toronto area.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Shofixti posted:

Any suggestions on ISPs in Kingston near Queen's? I know areas have their own idiosyncrasies. In my part of Hamilton, cable was basically unusable years ago so DSL was the way to go. Now it's reversed - cable infrastructure upgraded and it's amazing while DSL is awful.

If you're in the ghetto I know the main DSL node? Routing thing? Connection point? Is right on princess between university and division and most of the wiring is new. When I was there I was with teksavvy and always got the advertised 5MB, usually closer to 7. I don't have any experience with cable in the area, but I'm on Start 30/2 in Brockville (about 45 minutes east of Kingston) and have nothing but good to say. It's cogeco cable in Kingston, and start didn't exist when I was at queens, so I didn't really have a cable option there.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Looks like unlimited internet for Teksavvy Cable (supplied by Videotron) has gone up in price, auto-downgrading everyone to 300 gigs next month. Gonna call and see what I can do (I don't mind either paying the extra $15/month or downgrading to a slower dl speed but keeping unlimited, with the speed downgrade from 30 mbps to 20 mbps being my preferred choice).

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but didn't want to start a new one:

About 8 years ago, I set up a @shaw email address through my parents account. Over the course of 8 years, I've tied this account to pretty much everything (itunes, windows 8, ect ect).

I've since moved out, and my parents recently made the switch to Telus without letting me know. Am I boned?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Reggie Died posted:

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but didn't want to start a new one:

About 8 years ago, I set up a @shaw email address through my parents account. Over the course of 8 years, I've tied this account to pretty much everything (itunes, windows 8, ect ect).

I've since moved out, and my parents recently made the switch to Telus without letting me know. Am I boned?

As long as you have or know someone with an active Shaw account we can move it to that one and keep it active.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

As long as you have or know someone with an active Shaw account we can move it to that one and keep it active.

Cheers, I'll work that out.

Now, you've said "keep" it active. Their service was shut down last week, and I stopped being able to log in today (when I found out). Can they set it up again or....?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
lol you fool. Get off ISP emails.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Reggie Died posted:

Cheers, I'll work that out.

Now, you've said "keep" it active. Their service was shut down last week, and I stopped being able to log in today (when I found out). Can they set it up again or....?

Yeah the account stays in the system it just goes inactive after a week like you've seen. I've seen people get emails back after being on 7 years of Telus.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, get a friend on Shaw to add it to their account, then use the web GUI to forward all the email to a GMail address you create.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

lol you fool. Get off ISP emails.

I was young and naive! Gmail for life now.

less than three posted:

Yeah, get a friend on Shaw to add it to their account, then use the web GUI to forward all the email to a GMail address you create.

Yeah, I was already doing that for simplicity (and Shaw's UI kinda sucked). But once I get access, I'll just change all my primary emails to my Gmail account and leave the Shaw one to die.

Thanks for the help guys

Reggie Died fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 8, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I know people who are still on Shaw/Telus webmail because "google will read my mail"..

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

I know people who are still on Shaw/Telus webmail because "google will read my mail"..

Then there's outlook.com :colbert:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

priznat posted:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDS1Y9zT-bs

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
So I have been with Eastlink for 5-6 years, and generally quite happy with their service until this morning. I wake up, and I have no internet access. Big deal, it goes down very rarely, and never for more then 10 minutes or so at a time. I then turn on my TV, which has had channels 1-51 ever since I unsub'd from my cable service in favor of Netflix and unblock.us.

At this point things have begun to click, someone from Eastlink must have come and unpluged my line, or tossed a filter on it since I unsub'd from cable. Regardless of the fact I still had cable internet. So I call Eastlink, and inform them of the issue, and they say no technician has been in my building today. I say bullshit, the line has to be unpluged or filtered, fix it please. So after a bit of arguing they say they'll have someone out in 1-3 business days. Meaning 5-6 days from now. I hang up in anger.

So a half hour later I call back and demand to speak to a manager/supervisor and lay the situation out for him. I tell him it's not reasonable for me to wait 5-6 days and I want someone out this afternoon. He arranges this, then goes on to inform me that someone else in the building may have unplugged me from my connection and pluged it in to their spot on the splitter if they had gained access to the utility room. I say that's kind of unlikely, as by this time I had just went in to the utility room myself and looked at the filter on my line. The supervisor tells me there is no such thing as a filter that can restrict internet access. Just television. At this point I facepalm'd, hung up, satisfied that at least I got a same day technician out of them.

So an hour later the tech shows up, checks my modem real quick, then goes in to the utility room. Two minutes later he comes back, informs me that another Eastlink tech had been in the building today to filter TV connections, and had put the wrong filter on my line. The filter for both TV and internet.

TL:DR- Eastlink throwing filters on customers connection for no reason and denying that such a filter is even a thing that exists.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

letgomyAgo posted:

TL:DR- Eastlink throwing filters on customers connection for no reason and denying that such a filter is even a thing that exists.

A filter in my building's cable box killed my internet and it took three separate Rogers technicians about a week and a half to figure out that it was the problem. :saddowns:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A buddy of mine randomly just had his internet disconnected by a Rogers tech in Ottawa. He saw the guy outside, wondered why ... moments later his internet is gone. He's on TekSavvy Cable. Called them, and there was no reason for it.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
Just had yet another run in with Eastlink. I have been running an old Airlink router for my wifi for years, but it crashes once or twice a week and you have to unplug it for a second, then let it boot back up. After suffering through that for 2+ years because fixing it would have required effort I decided to just set up the wireless on my cable modem which is a Motorola SBG6850. A device, given to me by Eastlink, which is fully capable of wifi.

So I rip the old router out, and head to 192.168.0.1, which is the supposed gateway for this modem. And I get nothing, no login screen, nothing. 404 error. I try a few more variations, check ipconfig /all, which actually gives me an external IP. Which also doesn't bring me to the modems config menus.

At this point I call Eastlink to find out what is going on. After a few minutes on hold, a nice gentleman informs me that I need to sign up for wireless, at the cost of 2.99 a month. So after I remove my face from my palm I ask him how he can justify this. I am informed that it's an equipment rental fee. Now, this is where things get fucky, as Eastlink already charges like 5-7$ a month for equipment rental. So it would seem they want to charge an extra $2.99 a month, just to enable an option on the modem, that doesn't use a single kb of their bandwidth. They want to charge me, to enable a feature on equipment I already rent from them.

It's poo poo like this that makes Canadian internet access total bullshit. The nickle and dime fees.

Oh, and I called him a thief and hooked my old Airlink back up. gently caress paying them 2.99 a month to turn on my modems wifi.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

letgomyAgo posted:

Just had yet another run in with Eastlink. I have been running an old Airlink router for my wifi for years, but it crashes once or twice a week and you have to unplug it for a second, then let it boot back up. After suffering through that for 2+ years because fixing it would have required effort I decided to just set up the wireless on my cable modem which is a Motorola SBG6850. A device, given to me by Eastlink, which is fully capable of wifi.

So I rip the old router out, and head to 192.168.0.1, which is the supposed gateway for this modem. And I get nothing, no login screen, nothing. 404 error. I try a few more variations, check ipconfig /all, which actually gives me an external IP. Which also doesn't bring me to the modems config menus.

At this point I call Eastlink to find out what is going on. After a few minutes on hold, a nice gentleman informs me that I need to sign up for wireless, at the cost of 2.99 a month. So after I remove my face from my palm I ask him how he can justify this. I am informed that it's an equipment rental fee. Now, this is where things get fucky, as Eastlink already charges like 5-7$ a month for equipment rental. So it would seem they want to charge an extra $2.99 a month, just to enable an option on the modem, that doesn't use a single kb of their bandwidth. They want to charge me, to enable a feature on equipment I already rent from them.

It's poo poo like this that makes Canadian internet access total bullshit. The nickle and dime fees.

Oh, and I called him a thief and hooked my old Airlink back up. gently caress paying them 2.99 a month to turn on my modems wifi.

Do a factory reset on the modem and call them to have them walk you through setting it up. While you're in there turn on the wireless.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
I just did the factory reset, and it did indeed turn the wireless on, but then couldn't get connection to Eastlink. Then after I cycled the power, it turned off the wireless, and reverted to whatever state Eastlink had it in.

Guess they have it nicely locked down.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I'm moving at the end of June and every one of my utilities and government services has been a pieces of cake to update my address with; fill in a form online. Not so with Videotron. Enter your account number on a form and they'll call me in a few seconds. Well they did, a robot called me and put me on hold for 30 minutes. Then a customer service agent needed to have the new address spelled out to him with NATO letters before he got it recorded properly after several tries, which wouldn't have been an issue with an online forum. And they're going to charge me a $60 charge for the whole affair. The only service I use from them is cable internet so the technician is going to show up, look behind the modem to confirm I properly screwed the coax in to the modem I'm taking with me. None of my other utilities are charging me a dime.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

letgomyAgo posted:

I just did the factory reset, and it did indeed turn the wireless on, but then couldn't get connection to Eastlink. Then after I cycled the power, it turned off the wireless, and reverted to whatever state Eastlink had it in.

Guess they have it nicely locked down.

What you'll need to do is factory reset and then go into it's config page and give it your PPPoE credentials and change a couple other settings (you should be able to look these up), that's why your eastlink connection didn't work, most likely (I'm assuming eastlink uses PPPoE).

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I'm setting up TV + Internet for a 2nd home in Montreal. Right now it's Shaw Direct Satellite (occasional signal outages, barely any cheaper any more, missing more and more channels I want, and the hardware/OSG is terrible) + TekSavvy 5mb DSL (too slow).

My initial thought is to get Videotron to install a cable line for TV, and then sign up for Teksavvy 20 or 30mb cable internet as well.

I was curious about Bell Fibe for internet+TV though. Trying to figure out what it will cost is impossible due to the awful website, but I'm assuming everything is going to be about the same +/- $5 vs Videotron. I'm willing to pay more per month if it's more convenient though, so the price isn't a huge deal. The one PVR for the house seems great, as does not running a cable to each individual TV. But if the PVR and modem are crap locked down with awful firmware or whatever, maybe it's not a great idea. Anyone used Fibe? Optik out west seemed decent when I used it a few times at my parents' new condo in Vancouver.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Teksavvy has broken my internet in an exciting new way. I have the 50/10 VDSL service, since Monday despite the modem syncing at 50/8 I've been unable to get speeds better than 11Mbps down. The speedtest.teksavvy.com site shows 5Mbit down.

About a dozen people in my area of Toronto have been complaining about the problem for the last week (on DSL Reports). Teksavvy went from denying the problem existed to saying "our NOC team is looking into it", for a week apparently. No updates, no further acknowledgement of the issue.

The best part is, a number of users tried reverting their modems to the built in credentials that are used by the Bell installers to activate the service, and what do you know? The problem disappears. To top it of there are a couple of new hops on the network that weren't there last week, but somehow these were not the first thing they started to investigate when the issue showed up, they just tried to blame the users and denied that there could be a problem like the one we described.

Honestly, this is why I've stopped recommending Teksavvy to my clients. I've run into a number of issues like this, where they just deny the problem exists or try to pass the blame to Bell or Rogers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey guys, I have a question I thought I'd ask here before going to Netflix for help.

I have a 25mb DSL connection with Teksavvy that has been really reliable since I got past some initial teething issues.

I have Netflix and I also subscribe to UnoDNS so I can get the US programming and I find it works really well.

Here is my problem:

I reset my PS3 to not be on UnoDNS and just used standard internet settings so I can watch Canadian netflix again as (shocker) a couple programs we wanted to see were only on the Canadian side, not the US.

Interestingly, the Canadian side has issues with the video pausing periodically, sometimes for seconds at a time. Audio continues streaming just great though. It's almost like the system can't handle the HD streaming but I have no problem streaming HD on US Netflix.

Any ideas what's going on?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Bets on packet loss for an internal link at teksavvy that's hit capacity unexpectedly due to their transit routing changes over the past while.

Side note: capacity can be mean a few different things - actual max usage, interface buffer issues, hash table lookups failing, etc. There's lots of fun things when dealing with the 10s of gigs of true distributed Internet traffic that they do.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If it's an ISP issue, any idea why streaming through the US DNS would work fine? Doesn't it still have to go through the same pipes to my house? Or do I misunderstand how it works?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

slidebite posted:

If it's an ISP issue, any idea why streaming through the US DNS would work fine? Doesn't it still have to go through the same pipes to my house? Or do I misunderstand how it works?

You've got it right, just the problem isn't at your house/neighborhood. The isp has multiple upstream providers (ie not same path in their network). Just when you're talking so much actual bandwidth being used in their case (the 10s of gigs comment I made), weird issues can crop up at capacity points and it's a lot harder to fix than just add another circuit/cable to fix it due to cost.

I use teksavvy myself and do a lot of audio streaming, and it's been sucking due to packet loss at their high usage times of day lately.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

So Cogeco sucks rear end. We pay for the Turbo 20 plan and get like 20% of that speed in evenings.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

unknown posted:

You've got it right, just the problem isn't at your house/neighborhood. The isp has multiple upstream providers (ie not same path in their network). Just when you're talking so much actual bandwidth being used in their case (the 10s of gigs comment I made), weird issues can crop up at capacity points and it's a lot harder to fix than just add another circuit/cable to fix it due to cost.

I use teksavvy myself and do a lot of audio streaming, and it's been sucking due to packet loss at their high usage times of day lately.

First off, thanks for the reply and thought.

My only concern I have with your theory is that I can be fine on the US side, turn off DNS so I'm on Canadian... it sucks. Then, literally 5 minutes later go back to the US and its good. :psyduck:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

slidebite posted:

First off, thanks for the reply and thought.

My only concern I have with your theory is that I can be fine on the US side, turn off DNS so I'm on Canadian... it sucks. Then, literally 5 minutes later go back to the US and its good. :psyduck:

To clarify what unknown was saying, think of it this way: You and all the other customers connect to a "teksavvy" cloud, which then connects to an "internet" cloud. There are multiple connections (in technical terms, peering and transit connections between network providers) between the teksavvy cloud and the internet cloud, some of which are congested and some of which aren't. Which of the connections your traffic ends up going through depends on a number of factors, but the destination plays a big role in that decision, so it's reasonable to expect geographically separated destinations to be on separate connections.

So the behaviour you're seeing is quite consistent with the theory.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I see, thanks.

Something I haven't tried to any extant is streaming CDN on other devices that I have, so I'll try that too to back up the theory.

Appreciate it folks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Teksavvy update, we've now moved on to the "it's a Bell equipment problem" phase of the troubleshooting. There's been a ticket open with Bell for four days now, somehow Parkdale and random chunks of nearby areas (only using Teksavvy, of course) are still experiencing the same problem, with no resolution time line from Bell. They replaced the supposedly faulty hardware, but it didn't fix anything, now they need to "run a script" to fix it but they can't, because of magic or something.

The weird thing is I've been using Teksavvy since about 2005, I can't remember Bell (or Rogers) ever having so much negative impact on their network until the last couple of years.

I've been moving my clients to a little three man operation out of Port Credit because they're somehow able to offer better service and much faster issue resolution than Teksavvy. If they offered home service I'd switch myself.

It seems Canadian internet access is indeed getting shittier.