Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
color is neat sometimes

Divots by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Confined Space Hazard by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

This Dam Holds Strong Against The Pressure of Ten Million, Nine Hundred Sixty Eight Thousand Cubic Meters of Water by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Juncture Point by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

A Bird Rests On The Outlet Platforms For The Downstream Pumps by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

No Fishing by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Agreed.
Zorki-10 and Portra 400:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Colour is neat.
:911: visit.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Nice one.

Here's an experiment with Foma. Shot at 400, developed at 1600. Rollei 35 SE.

Rovine Estensi di maxmars70, su Flickr

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
:siren: Kodak to end acetate base production. :siren:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

No need to fear, plenty of places to buy acetate from.

Anyone looking to buy a pentax 67, btw?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

A Man and his Dogs by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Couple by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

On a Walk by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Why not use it as a carrying case for your ME?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Portra 400 uses the Estar base which is polyester not acetate.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Just looking for the body, is it part of a kit?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just looking for the body, is it part of a kit?

If I did sell/trade away my p67 stuff I'd want to get rid of it as a kit (body with no aperture chain, 75mm lens, wlf and normal viewfinder).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Hey Pompous Rhombus, are you still thinking of selling the Gowland?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

Hey Pompous Rhombus, are you still thinking of selling the Gowland?

It's definitely going to be for sale soon, just been really busy/tired lately (fortunately exams are starting next week, so I should have a lot of time [not being a real teacher :woop:]).

I thought I'd taken the pictures already but checking the folder apparently not. Paul Mauddib has first dibs but I'll let you know if he decides to pass! It'll get posted in the Buy/Sell thread regardless, just so everything's on the up and up.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's definitely going to be for sale soon, just been really busy/tired lately (fortunately exams are starting next week, so I should have a lot of time [not being a real teacher :woop:]).

I thought I'd taken the pictures already but checking the folder apparently not. Paul Mauddib has first dibs but I'll let you know if he decides to pass! It'll get posted in the Buy/Sell thread regardless, just so everything's on the up and up.

Nobody's breaking any rules or anything and I understand why you'd be talking about it in the film thread but at this point you should probably take it to the buy/sell (as you mentioned).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

No worries! Put me second in line behind Paul then and I'll keep an eye on the buy/sell thread.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Ok people, I need help with the new ektar emulsion. Everything is blue in the ektar world. I was initially thinking that it might have been bad exposures on my part, but through multiple rolls I have tried I get same result. After digitizing I get horrible blue/cyan casts that are very difficult to get rid of. Pro400H, portra... no problems. Ektar... pure poo poo. And I know that this film can produce some amazing results. So does anyone know of some tips that could help me out? Getting levels right, and selecting white point on the leader get me only so far - and I usually have to resort to the HSL panel to get things looking vaguely normal.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Putrid Grin posted:

Ok people, I need help with the new ektar emulsion. Everything is blue in the ektar world. I was initially thinking that it might have been bad exposures on my part, but through multiple rolls I have tried I get same result. After digitizing I get horrible blue/cyan casts that are very difficult to get rid of. Pro400H, portra... no problems. Ektar... pure poo poo. And I know that this film can produce some amazing results. So does anyone know of some tips that could help me out? Getting levels right, and selecting white point on the leader get me only so far - and I usually have to resort to the HSL panel to get things looking vaguely normal.

I don't know about your scanning workflow, but I recently re-tried Ektar 100 in medium format, and found it lovely for oceans, earth tones and the likes. It does have a subtle shift towards cool colors here, too. But as I stated it is pretty subtle.
Are you inverting the negatives / subtracting the base coloration yourself? Using a program to do it?

That said, are you sure your camera is exposing it right?
Ektar loves and more so needs lots and lots of light. If you underexpose it it gets all sorts of weird with color shifts and explosive saturation. I find it weird that you mention Pro 400H as being neutral, that film comes out with quite a green-cast for me. Both films (400H, Portra) however, have a very large to large latitude, which Ektar does not, so they could be hiding some underlying issues with your metering or camera.

Chocolate Cocaine
Dec 26, 2008

This topic is probably buried in this thread somewhere, but with 290 pages, I wasn't able to find it very easily. I'm looking into developing at home, and was interested in stand developing/semi-stand. I have processed my own film before, but never used this method. I know there are at least a few of you who stand develop, so I was just wondering about your general technique. Do you still expose your film for the shadows? What's your developer/dilution of choice, and how long do you typically leave it?

I've seen a lot of different variations on this, and wanted to see how it's done around here. Right now, I think I'm leaning towards Rodinal, 1:100 for about an hour with 30 secs initial constant agitation, and one inversion at 20 mins and 40 mins (I've read that bromide drag is more likely to happen when the developer sits for 20 mins+ with no agitation). Hopefully your feedback will be helpful to others as well.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just let it sit, I've yet to encounter bromide drag with rodinal stand.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rodinal is the well-known developer for stand development.
Kodak HC-110 and Ilfotec HC work just as well, and are also diluted 1+100 for the general 1 hour recipe.
Stand development works with these developers because bromide drag is not an issue with them. If you perform any kind agitation during a stand development you're rather doing semi-stand and not proper stand.
Agitation during is an easy way of pushing a stop or two extra without increasing the development time beyond 1 hour. Agitate for the extra film speed, not because you think you would get bromide drag.

As for exposure, shoot however you want. Stand development does give you less contrast overall, so with modern emulsions you can easily expose for +/- 1 stop on a single roll and still get excellent negatives.

Seriously just do it, it's even harder to gently caress up than a regular b/w development.

Chocolate Cocaine
Dec 26, 2008

Thanks, based on your input I guess I'll just dive right in and see what happens! I'm pretty excited.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Hey film guys who have the time and motivation to haul around cameras bigger than an ME Super, go buy my p67 or something in the buy/sell thread.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Fomapan is a soft, soft emulsion.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

Chocolate Cocaine posted:

Stand development chat
Just one thing to add to this. If you're going to stand dev 35mm rolls make sure you're giving the tank a few good hard taps on the bench. You don't want to get a nasty underdeveloped spot because of air bubbles catching the sprocket holes and sitting there for an hour.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

dukeku posted:

Fomapan is a soft, soft emulsion.

Owns owns owns.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Gotta be careful when the Foma is all soft and wet.

Have some more stuff I shot, it looks better big.

Chocolate Cocaine
Dec 26, 2008

Bobsledboy posted:

Just one thing to add to this. If you're going to stand dev 35mm rolls make sure you're giving the tank a few good hard taps on the bench. You don't want to get a nasty underdeveloped spot because of air bubbles catching the sprocket holes and sitting there for an hour.

So it's the sprocket holes that would cause this? Meaning 120 film isn't susceptible?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
Finally got around to using the Epson V700 to scan a massive backlog of film.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Update: Shamefully small film drawer.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

My other crisper is a fannypack.

edit: vvv :c00l: vvv

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 16, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aliencowboy posted:

My other crisper is a fannypack.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The box of 160nc is half filled with shanghai gp3 :ssh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The key to cheap film shooting is to buy fuckloads of it when you see it cheap.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The key to cheap film shooting is to buy fuckloads of it when you see it cheap.

Yeah, pretty much this. eBay sometimes is good, even for not expired film.
Also for Amazon I use CamelCamelCamel to alert me via mail whenever one of my favorite films (say Portra) drops below a preset price threshold.
Then I go and buy as much as I can; very handy.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

Chocolate Cocaine posted:

So it's the sprocket holes that would cause this? Meaning 120 film isn't susceptible?

You can still get air bubble stuck to the edges or reels but its much less likely to ruin your negs.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Just wanted to show how good Portra 400 can be, this shot was underexposed by +3 stops, thought I'd got a whole bunch of deep shadows on Mel Brooks and his granddaughter but ended up with a reasonably exposed shot:

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
I have a question for you fine gentlemen and ladies. I've recently bought a Sigma 35mm f1.4 lens for Canon mounts, and I've needed to slightly adjust the MFA on my digital cameras for it to focus correctly. I've wondered if there's a way to do this on film cameras. I'd like to try this lens out on some Ektar film, and would like to try using it wide open a lot. I have a Canon EOS 30V camera.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Maverique posted:

I have a question for you fine gentlemen and ladies. I've recently bought a Sigma 35mm f1.4 lens for Canon mounts, and I've needed to slightly adjust the MFA on my digital cameras for it to focus correctly. I've wondered if there's a way to do this on film cameras. I'd like to try this lens out on some Ektar film, and would like to try using it wide open a lot. I have a Canon EOS 30V camera.

I think the new Sigma USB dock will let you manage this.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

Just wanted to show how good Portra 400 can be, this shot was underexposed by +3 stops, thought I'd got a whole bunch of deep shadows on Mel Brooks and his granddaughter but ended up with a reasonably exposed shot:

Impressive but why on earth did you shoot this @ 3200 ISO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
The Rollei (Sonnar) and Kentmere 400 (@800) can put out some really sharp pictures.

Cracks / 1 di maxmars70, su Flickr