Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The gameplay changes Brutal Doom makes are really fun and make slaughtermaps a lot more entertaining than they are in vanilla, but the modder put a comment in the code saying that the plasma gun was "good for frying niggers" or something like that, and there's an official "Real Gore for Brutal Doom" pack that adds photorealistic gore (as in, actual photos) to the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Stuntman posted:

A while back, he put a bunch of unfunny-rear end racist jokes as comments in the source code, then proceeded to claim that doesn't make him racist. It's less about mod quality and more about being a lovely human being.

It really depends on how you want to look at it. I don't approve of the racism, but I do like the Brutal Doom mod.

Kinda like how a lot of people (including me) don't approve of the whole Nazi thing, but some people like Volkswagen.

erotic dad posted:

Brutal Doom was ok the first time, but in the long run it's actually pretty lovely just based on how unbalanced it is for vanilla WADs and all of the gross unnecessary features.

If you enjoy killing an imp/zombieguy and having their torso crawl around screaming and bleeding for 5 minutes then be my guest.

Well, he's also working on a "ketchup" mod with all the gore but none of the gameplay changing poo poo. To be honest, I prefer that version. I don't actually enjoy having to move my mouse around all the time to compensate for ridiculous recoil. (I don't like using the mouse at all when playing classic Doom.)

And for some reason the current version (of ketchup and brutal) seem less gory than earlier versions. He's doing something wrong.

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 17, 2013

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Supreme Power posted:

It really depends on how you want to look at it. I don't approve of the racism, but I do like the Brutal Doom mod.

Also I'm pretty sure English isn't his first language, so I didn't approve either but I chalked it up as him trying to make a stupid off-color joke and it coming out really bad.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

For Quake II single-player I'd strongly recommend Quake II 3.24 Unofficial instead of R1Q2 as it has nice features like OGG Vorbis support (same way as KMQuakeII) and working cinematics while being just as minimalist and compatible. You can even use the R1GL renderer by renaming the DLL to ref_gl and overwriting the normal ref_gl.dll, and the config generator will even work.

Note that using R1GL will break cinematics.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 17, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Stuntman posted:

A while back, he put a bunch of unfunny-rear end racist jokes as comments in the source code, then proceeded to claim that doesn't make him racist. It's less about mod quality and more about being a lovely human being.

Technically, it was a single joke. An inappropriate comment on burnt bodies (plasma char?) and skin color.

EDIT: Also, this was his response to it:

quote:

First of all, I want to say sorry for anyone who got offended by this joke. Unlike some people were advertising it on said forums, It was never my intention to spread white supremacy subliminal messages with it. It was just a joke, a bad joke I must admit. Worse than the Real Gore stuff. And yes, I will remove it on the upcoming version 18 that comes out next week.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Technically, it was a single joke. An inappropriate comment on burnt bodies (plasma char?) and skin color.

EDIT: Also, this was his response to it:
My bad, I'll go back and fix that. Also, the "NO MAKING RACIST JOKES DOESN'T MAKE ME RACIST" came from when I taunted him on Facebook about it and he responded. I'd link to it, but he deleted it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Stuntman posted:

My bad, I'll go back and fix that. Also, the "NO MAKING RACIST JOKES DOESN'T MAKE ME RACIST" came from when I taunted him on Facebook about it and he responded. I'd link to it, but he deleted it.

No problem.

MSX Beta 2 is coming out soon, yeah? I am so looking forward to this poo poo. :unsmigghh:

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Brutal Doom adds a lot to them game. I was playing Vanguard and had a cyberdemon get mad at a huge group of hell knights that were hitting him in the back. So he goes around stomping them all and from my window view up high all I see are these goats legs and other gibs flying up into the air. But it does make the game too difficult for a lot of wads. Especially ones that have a ton of slaughter map style rooms where it's nothing but running in a circle and getting them to attack each other (I hate that in vanilla too, anyway). But you'll find yourself completely stuck and maybe forced to god mode some parts that should be doable. I've only had a few wads play nice with it throughout the entire game. Difficult but doable. Whispers of Satan was one of them. It managed to have a lot of carnage without resorting to "Looks like all the walls have lifted up and you're in one big square room full of a hundred enemies" or "Uh oh, looks like you're in a long hallway with no cover and there's an archvile at both ends", or my most hated, "You just started the level and you're already surrounded by chaingunners!", and all that jazz. Brutal Doom has it's place. I just feel like if you're going through Pirates! Doom or Unloved with it you're ruining it for yourself.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 17, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Personally I found the real gore thing to be in much worse taste. Photographs of actual dead people should not be fodder for amusement.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Flubby posted:

Brutal Doom has it's place.

And that place is as far away from Cyberdreams as possible :suicide:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Supreme Power posted:

Kinda like how a lot of people (including me) don't approve of the whole Nazi thing, but some people like Volkswagen.

Volkswagen are pretty repentant about the whole Nazi thing, you know. Part of the reason the Camaro got featured in Michael Bay's Transformers movies was that VW do not want their cars associated with violence.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
I'm playing through Sunder with Brutal Doom. Never played Brutal Doom or Sunder before... I think this was a mistake.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Woah. I just tried playing Chex Quest 3 with the Ketchup Gore Mod, and... it's like an entirely new game.

I don't really know what the original plot of the game was, or if it even has a plot, but it feels kinda cool to have a game where your entire purpose seems to be to invade alien bases and blow the aliens up in the most gruesome ways possible. You can even rip them to shreds with a spoon.

VVVV - It actually is green with the Ketchup mod.

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 17, 2013

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Supreme Power posted:

Woah. I just tried playing Chex Quest 3 with the Ketchup Gore Mod, and... it's like an entirely new game.

I don't really know what the original plot of the game was, or if it even has a plot, but it feels kinda cool to have a game where your entire purpose seems to be to invade alien bases and blow the aliens up in the most gruesome ways possible. You can even rip them to shreds with a spoon.

The gore should be green for the flemoid slime. Or maybe bright red zorch sparks.

I take my Chex Quest canon seriously. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone have shots of the "real gore" Brutal Doom thing? I never got the download link for it working so never saw what the fuss was about.

e; someone just PMed me stuff. :catstare:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 17, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hey. Hey you. Watch these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqhHXmiCwNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5kdOfDmQNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLi6RhcIII

I think the good times might be coming back. Just between you and me.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

My favorite part of the weapons demo is where one of the enemies yells "Don't shoot!" and the guy showing it off says "Too bad." :haw:

Can't wait for the game, it's making me want to go play old ROTT for the hell of it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Oh my god, Big John's Ahnold voice.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zeether posted:

My favorite part of the weapons demo is where one of the enemies yells "Don't shoot!" and the guy showing it off says "Too bad." :haw:

Can't wait for the game, it's making me want to go play old ROTT for the hell of it.

If you're going to replay the original, stop after being the second episode. The third episode quickly dips in quality, while the fourth one is just plain bad. The first two episodes feel like a proper game, while the last two feel like leftovers they included to justify paying for the full version. E2's last level feels more like a proper last level than E4's last three levels do.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fallom posted:

I don't know if they're still doing this, but for a while the Doom community was tearing people apart for daring to use assets from community resource packs in their own mods.

This continues.

Also there's the hilarious case of the "Odessa series", held by some as some sort of ancient Doom holy grail. Supposedly, one person still active in the community has them; but he refuses to upload them because the text file said it was only to be distributed on the Compuserve Action Gaming Forum and nowhere else! (There's one of them that actually is on the idgames archive, it isn't all that transcendent I think.)

On the other hand, nobody cares about wholesale rips of stuff from Hexen, ROTT, Quake, Descent, Exhumed, Dark Forces, or others.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I had fun reading that readme.

Authors MAY NOT use this level or any portion of ODESSA14 as a base to
build additional levels.

You MAY NOT distribute this WAD file in any format. Available only on
Compuserve and CDROM.COM for downloading for your personal use.

Please.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

No problem.

MSX Beta 2 is coming out soon, yeah? I am so looking forward to this poo poo. :unsmigghh:

I was going to post "hell yes i cant wait for MSX, need a FPS that feels empowering to play.", then i saw:

The Kins posted:

:unsmith:

I hope this trend continues.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

maev posted:

I had fun reading that readme.

Authors MAY NOT use this level or any portion of ODESSA14 as a base to
build additional levels.

You MAY NOT distribute this WAD file in any format. Available only on
Compuserve and CDROM.COM for downloading for your personal use.

Please.

Especially since "CDROM.COM" is the former home of the idgames archive... I'd argue idgames hosted on archive.gamers.org is still fine :P

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Supreme Power posted:

VVVV - It actually is green with the Ketchup mod.

Things like that always make me think of this.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Woolie Wool posted:

Things like that always make me think of this.

Yeah, it does feel kinda crazy.

I mean, in Doom 1/2, you're playing as a space marine defending the world from zombies and demons. In Grezzo 2, you play as an insane man trying to make sense of an insane world, but there is a plot. In Chex Quest, you're a waffle invading alien bases so you can kill the innocent aliens My Lai style (and eat their corpses, which I'm assuming is what the spoons and electric sporks are for).

Maybe sgt_mk_4 should make a Brutal Chex game, to truly up the ante in senseless, mindless, extreme violence. He could add new voices to some of the enemies: "Please stop! We've done nothing wrong!", "You've killed so many of our children...WHY?!", "I saw you butcher and eat my wife...", and "Please kill me before you start eating me."

And make new fatalities featuring the waffle literally eating his enemies.

I must be getting old, because even though I made these suggestions, I'm not entirely sure I would actually enjoy playing a game like that. Grezzo is bad, but it stops before getting to the extreme war crimes level.

edit: Wait, is Brutal Doom compatible with Chex Quest? I didn't even try that...(it kinda works if you run it like this: PATH\gzdoom.exe brutalv018a.pk3 ketchuptest4.pk3)

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 17, 2013

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Uh, what? Chex Quest had a plot! There was a nifty animated intro and everything!

(I'm from Chex Squadron, AND I VOLUNTEER!)

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Supreme Power posted:

Maybe sgt_mk_4 should make a Brutal Chex game,

Didn't this already happen, or am I just remembering some kind of combination April Fools' joke / horrifying fever dream?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

It was an April Fool's joke, yeah. He said he had no interest in it.

Samsara already does something like it, if you play Chex Quest with anyone other than Chexguy.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Supreme Power posted:

In Chex Quest, you're a waffle invading alien bases so you can kill the innocent aliens My Lai style (and eat their corpses, which I'm assuming is what the spoons and electric sporks are for).
:psyduck: Where the hell are you (and whoever drew that comic) getting the idea Chexguy eats the Flemoids? You shoot them, and they vanish in a flash of red light. What about that suggests eating?

Also, yeah, he does kinda look like a waffle... but the game is called Chex Quest. It has a Chex cereal logo in the corner of the screen. Wouldn't you maybe assume he might be a piece of Chex?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RoTT 2013 is already the first on my Steam's wishlist. Hell, the original RoTT was fun but isn't close to my favourite early FPS but this remake looks so loving fantastic and Shadow Warrior is the same, where the original wasn't too hot for me but its remake is looking better and better. We need a good modern unreal tournament and I can die happy :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Let me tell you about Chex canon.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Ah, what luck, you see as the webmaster of chexquestcentral.com I'm uniquely qualified to answer any and all questions on chex quest...

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

You people don't know Chex Quest canon until you start counting the bars of his armor in all of his different concept arts in order to discern an average number to use in your own concept art.

Which you end up not using anyway because ACS can't reliably figure out who won a match. :smith:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Guillermus posted:

RoTT 2013 is already the first on my Steam's wishlist. Hell, the original RoTT was fun but isn't close to my favourite early FPS but this remake looks so loving fantastic and Shadow Warrior is the same, where the original wasn't too hot for me but its remake is looking better and better. We need a good modern unreal tournament and I can die happy :allears:

Isn't Unreal Tournament 3 a recent Unreal Tourment? :confused:

Oh, you meant a good modern UT game, gotcha.

It's about time Call of Duty died and zany 90s-style FPS games became popular again. Hopefully ROTT 2013 and Shadow Warrior Remake will start that trend. I'm tried of gray-brownish modern military shooters where I have to shove a gun up my nose to able to aim correctly and have to hide behind walls to wait for the red jam to go away, while moving at snail's pace. I want my plasma rifles and medkits, dammit! :argh:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 17, 2013

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

"Unreal Tournament 3" wasn't even about the Tournament. I wanna get in there and blow up some people for Liandri's profit!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Keiya posted:

"Unreal Tournament 3" wasn't even about the Tournament. I wanna get in there and blow up some people for Liandri's profit!

I just want the varied environments that UT99 had. :smith: All of the maps in UT3 were either brown city, grey sci-fi place and space.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Is it wrong that I want a game that is basically Unreal Tournament: Championship Manager? I want my players to blow stuff up for my profit.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Traveller posted:

Is it wrong that I want a game that is basically Unreal Tournament: Championship Manager? I want my players to blow stuff up for my profit.

I'd be all over that as long as you could hop into matches yourself. I liked the team management you could do in UT2k4's SP mode, so an expanded version of that would be perfect.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I'm not even that interested in the "tournament" part. I really just want Unreal 1's gameplay, UT2k4's graphic design, and UT3's engine. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I just want someone somewhere - anywhere - to remember DM-Deathfan. :(