Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
I just started following this thread but has anyone noticed the 8 in the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Is it all far-fetched? Of course and it likely is dumb to even think about but since it's only a few blocks away it shouldn't take much time to investigate.

No, I think it's great to be branching out of Boston proper since everything we've come up with so far is a real stretch. Plus, if the "Thucydides" line means "Boston" and not "BPL," maybe "5 steps North" means 5 miles north of Boston, which is almost kind of where Medford is.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Guru Yaekob posted:

I just started following this thread but has anyone noticed the 8 in the wall?

That makes perfect sense, I do see it faintly after looking at the high res pictures.

8 would be for the month of August, which has the gemstone of Peridot, which is what the fairy is holding.

Good find!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I never liked the globes symbolizing 8, so good find if that's what that is. Unfortunately not super useful, but shows there's still stuff to find. It's pretty faint though, and not as obvious in the book. Could just be a coincidence.

xie fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 16, 2013

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
I had to go pull up those high resolution pictures that someone posted. Once I blew it up a bit, I could see the 8. It definitely isn't as prominent as the other numbers on the other pictures. If it wasn't pointed out to me, I wouldn't have seen it. However, it just was odd that all of the other pictures had the represented month number and this one didn't. So, it makes sense that there is an 8 there somewhere.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

crashdome posted:

Tl;dr Yeah, I'll take a look at that area again for you when I can!

I've been following/lurking this thread for a while now and I've come to the point where I don't think we're ever going to find this drat Milwaukee cask.

lolcat lady
May 3, 2009

crashdome posted:

I don't think anyone thought to look at the flag for clues so, that's a good thing to check. Juggling and gear are a bit of a stretch but :shrug:

Yeah, well, admitted, there are a lot of round seals in city flags in the US, so it's not very unique or specific. As I couldn't find a history of juggling in Milwaukee and nothing really impressive/convincing showed up relating to monuments that look like jugglers so far, and it MUST have a meaning, that's the best thing I could think of.

crashdome posted:

I've golfed a few places around here and most have two red balls to denote a specific tee off point for certain difficulty. I think it's a standard for golf? idk? but, if the other shoes fit the other clues then, it makes sense.

I think in Tweleve forum, someone said specifically, there are two red balls and I thought wow. But when you see the picture of the golf course at lakeparkfriends.org, you can already see four- again, not a 100% hit, just a sort of confirmative clue, as you said, if all the other things are matching. Lincoln Park Golf (if you stick with the cent reference of cast in copper, there's Lincoln as well, not only Lincoln Memorial) seems to have yellow balls though.

crashdome posted:

The problem I have with those streets are that there are a LOT of streets named after former residents. I strongly lean to the idea it is the three founding fathers of Milwaukee. It is just to definitive. Juneau, Kilbourn, and Walker. It could just be a coincidence and he picked three "other" people but, I'd need to see pretty good fit in other clues to start believing it.

I share the feeling. The founding fathers would be a better match, but I had difficulties finding them in one place (and nobody brought up something more plausible, as far as I can see). Three random Milwaukeenesians is not totally convincing, as there are four roads to cross to reach Marietta Ave. It is only good together with the other hints. Maybe it is just meant to say "in/from the city center".

crashdome posted:

I'm following similar thoughts about your interpretation but, there were other paintings of women with harpsichords that were pretty famous. A Jan Steen painting and one of Marie Antoinette by a German fellow. Problem is all those paintings are in and have been in London or France.

There's a beautiful Vermeer as well. I believe it's convincing, because it's the one and only painting attributable to Marietta, which is not true for all other painters of harpsichordettes, who made other things as well.
Thinking of landmarks with paintings, this might lead to Milwaukee Art Museum. But they don't have anything on display with an harpsichord (if their internets work correctly). Maybe there was an exhibtion at the time, but as it would be temporary I don't think Preiss would have picked such a reference.

crashdome posted:

I was the one pretty adamant that it wasn't the Grand Staircase. Although I did so simply because 200 doesn't fit at all. Not in address, not in number of steps, and not in any other measurement. There was, however, a Grand Avenue. The 200 could refer to block/address or some other measurement but, "climb" becomes difficult to prove. The term "climb" and "grand" are the only words that fit the staircase and I feel 200 is important for some reason we either haven't figured out OR because it's NOT the Grand Staircase and we are wasting our time casting it in stone as a definitive clue when it could easily just be other things

You convinced me so much, that I came up with the idea of not taking the Grand Staircase, but the other route close to Ravine Rd., hoping for a surprise about the climbing. The 200 grand av seems to be far away from a place where you can bury anything.

crashdome posted:

I agree the Lighthouse is a stretch but, I will say that right below the nearby two bridges (Google "Milwaukee bridges Lions" for better details) have paths underneath made up of soil and rock with smaller wooden walkway bridges. It actually was one of those moments I thought to myself "Yes! Yes! That fits perfectly" once I saw them.

Someone else saw a reference to a lion with the tall proud fifth. I dunno. I guess there are dozens of bridges in Lake Park. If I were Preiss, I would have sticked to the Lion Bridges, as they are unique, but the path hints don't seem to match properly.

crashdome posted:

That said, I also visited Leif the Explorer and my heart skipped a beat when I went to the side with the Runes and I saw a small area that looked depressed and dug out and thought "poo poo someone already was here" until I got my bearings and realized the depression I was staring at was on the East side and not the south :sweatdrop:

Trying reverse search, looking for monuments with foreign letters, you find this Leif. I think it is too far south, I was just saying it is not too much of a stretch that there is some sort of rune-like display near the casque, could also be a tree or whatever.

crashdome posted:

The other fitting monument in Milwaukee is clear across the city. Google "Milwaukee, Goethe-Schiller Monument" and you will see one is carrying a scroll or letter and there's German written all over it. Problem is it is clear across the city and probably no other clues fit the area.

Yes, this also showed up with the reverse search method, implying there must be some relation to the German theme (which totally lacks in the Lake Park solution). It is a copy of a pretty famous statue in Weimar/Germany. The scroll itself doesn't have anything written on it (at least not the one in Weimar). The Goethe part of the inscription is from Faust, says something like "What you have inherited from your fathers, make it yours to possess it". The Schiller part is from Wallenstein, more or less saying "no guts, no glory". Hence, it has some sort of immigration theme, but as you said, it's far away and no other clues so far.

crashdome posted:

Tl;dr Yeah, I'll take a look at that area again for you when I can!

Do it not just for me, but for the higher goal. :hfive: Thank you in advance, you're awesome.

lolcat lady
May 3, 2009

davey4283 posted:

I've been following/lurking this thread for a while now and I've come to the point where I don't think we're ever going to find this drat Milwaukee cask.

It has been a long time and many things have changed. I agree it may be lost forever. But personally I had fun researching and learning, so I don't feel it's a waste of time. E.g. I learned many cities in the US have very ugly city flags, which I found amusing. And a lot about Milwaukee, I put it on the list for visiting.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston (again)

Since I have the day off tomorrow, I think I might make another trip out to Houston to do a bit more scouting. I am assuming based on the fact that einTier and several others haven't posted in this thread this weekend, that they went ahead and made a trip down there themselves. I'm looking forward to seeing what all they turn up. :)

In the meantime, I need to check some historical photos and call a GPR company or two, as I'm assuming that's the only way I would be able to get permission to dig anywhere.

EDIT: Dammit... can someone tell me how to look up old aerial photos using Google Maps or Google Earth or whatever? I've been trying to figure out how to do it myself but I can't and it is pissing me off. :ughh:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 17, 2013

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

davey4283 posted:

It sure was hopeful in the beginning. I sometimes get jealous of the other city images because they find numbers and other clues hidden within and I feel like the ones we have to go on are just so drat obscure or general to fit to anything concrete other than the city hall.

Maybe we are just one of the hard ones :eng99:

lolcat lady posted:

It has been a long time and many things have changed. I agree it may be lost forever. But personally I had fun researching and learning, so I don't feel it's a waste of time. E.g. I learned many cities in the US have very ugly city flags, which I found amusing. And a lot about Milwaukee, I put it on the list for visiting.

Bring a shovel!

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

EDIT: Dammit... can someone tell me how to look up old aerial photos using Google Maps or Google Earth or whatever? I've been trying to figure out how to do it myself but I can't and it is pissing me off. :ughh:

Are you having a problem with the UI not working? It happened to me. Try the v6 version (of the stand-alone Google Earth).

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Can anyone with a copy of the book confirm these very faint letters in the Milwaukee image?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
One day someone's going to find a cask and the guy who wrote the book will revel he never died in a "car accident" but instead went underground to get away from all the people hounding him for a solution.

Then he revels in a monologue that the keys are actually keys to an even BIGGER treasure, which he will give a puzzle answer to in a new book.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
No, the dude is an alien and he is studying us. Half of the puzzles don't even have solutions.

snowfox090
Feb 24, 2007

Nesetril posted:

It's retarded that the image with the globe in it is the one to leave out the longitude.

Also, I know the centaur in the Cleveland image wasn't a literal representation of anything, but what if the woman in the Boston image is? After all, people say the NYC image has either the statue of liberty or that statue from the Smithsonian. Then, we basically have some kind of educator who opens a box containing either treasure or knowledge. Maybe 'N' 'M' is Anne Radcliffe Moulson who played a major role in founding Radcliffe College. That would make the puzzle Radcliffe-centered instead of Harvard-centered, which is almost the same thing due to the Soldier's field location ('going to the Coliseum').

The thick wavy scratch on the window is not unlike Radcliffe coat of arms.

Actually, I have a theory about this. The European map in the book lists the type of fae found in each area, right? Centaurs are mentioned for Greece, loup garoux for France, tree fairies for Africa, djinn for Arabia, rusalki (a type of female water spirit) for Russia... One of the fairies for the country associated with each image actually is in the image, so she might be one of the Italian types.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nesetril posted:

Are you having a problem with the UI not working? It happened to me. Try the v6 version (of the stand-alone Google Earth).

Nevermind, I got it. Turns out I just had to download it first. :downs:

Based on the images I found, it looks like my theory could still be plausible, but not as much as I was hoping. Getting all the pieces to fit together may be a little bit more of a stretch than I had anticipated.

I hope einTier is having better luck than I am today. :ohdear:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

bonestructure posted:

Definitely so, but there are two possible sets of coordinates in the Charleston picture. The 32-79 might be a hint to orient by the marker itself, since it is registered with the US Geological Survey using those coordinates.

If you are standing on the Battery at the spot of the marker and turn to face White Point Gardens, this is what you see. The Fort Sumter monument is to the left, the "white house" is to the right. I wonder if "between two arms extended" refers not to physical arms, but "arms" as in weapons, as in the cannons.

Edit: Trying to imagine the park as Preiss would have seen it in the early 1980s. This is a picture of the USS Maine memorial which was replaced in 2006 by the Moultrie statue. I don't see anything about the Maine monument that appears to be reproduced in the image or mentioned in the verse, though.

Noticed something as I was browsing pictures from White Point Gardens:

How many sides does the Fort Sumter monument have? Because from what I've seen it looks like an octagon: 8 sides. And it has a scene running over most of them. On the eighth a scene?

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

snowfox090 posted:

Actually, I have a theory about this. The European map in the book lists the type of fae found in each area, right? Centaurs are mentioned for Greece, loup garoux for France, tree fairies for Africa, djinn for Arabia, rusalki (a type of female water spirit) for Russia... One of the fairies for the country associated with each image actually is in the image, so she might be one of the Italian types.

Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that this part of the puzzle is completely bogus. First of all, the "European" map excludes China, which is needed for C1. Second, some of the European fairy sets are from areas that are not used for treasure maps. For example, Nissen/Tomtra are from Scandinavia. Third, a lot of the fairy types are horribly misspelled. For example, Klabautermann and far darrig. Fourth, I couldn't find many of them like witchl and none of the Italian ones except for aguane. Finally, C3 is a suit of armor, C6 is a human horseman, and C7 doesn't even have a humanoid figure in it.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 2

TotalHell posted:

Noticed something as I was browsing pictures from White Point Gardens:

How many sides does the Fort Sumter monument have? Because from what I've seen it looks like an octagon: 8 sides. And it has a scene running over most of them. On the eighth a scene?

Or May 1913
Edwin and Edwina named after him
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

It was March of 1913 when Woodrow Wilson succeeded Taft. I don't have an answer for why May is used other than to make reference to President Woody.

Edwin (father) and Edwina (daughter named after her father) is about succession as well, since the name is being passed on down the line.

Or on the eighth a scene is about the 8th State's secession (not the same as succession, but it sounds the same) from the Union, which prompted the Union soldiers to fortify their position at Sumter, this may be "where law defended"..at least for awhile.

I think there's an important reason behind making so many references to succession. These lines are all tied together for the purpose of revealing a particular person's name. I believe it's the name of the successor of Abraham Lincoln, closest at hand to the White House, the Vice President Andrew Johnson.

If I'm right, that clue leads us to a set of lighthouses on Cape Romain's Lighthouse Island. Lat 33 / Long 79. There's a famous story about some treasure being buried on the island by the woman who was murdered by her husband, the Lighthouse Keeper Andrew Johnson. I think Preiss used words from the intro of Treasure Island as a way of leading to this conclusion.

I think the daisy in the image might be the shape of the top of the old lighthouse as seen while standing at the taller lighthouse nearby.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 17, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

bonestructure posted:

Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

The best I could come up with is the Sgt Jasper monument. It has eight sides to its setting

Maybe it's another reference to the pirate monument and the fact that 22 people were hanged there on the 8th Nov 1718.

quote:

Edwin and Edwina named after him - this is taken from Abroad in America by Marc Pachter. It's a quote about enthusiasm for colonizing Liberia. The Azor, a ship full of Charleston colonists, sailed from Charleston harbor. At that spot on the Battery one is looking out over the harbor.

This is too specific I think...I'd probably just take it as a general Charleston confirmer.

quote:

Or May 1913 - This refers to the capstan of the USS Maine

Perhaps Maine / Mane gives us the lion.

I like some of your other thoughts on White Point Gardens, such as the idea that "between two arms extended" could refer to a point between two different statues (or maybe cannons).

BJG fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 17, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fistgrrl posted:

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage#Status <--not totally complete/accurate, but pretty much what you're asking for.
"From research, it seems that there are only three blue domed Russian Orthodox Churches in the United States: Kodiak, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia"

I sure would like to see a clearer picture of the window above the door of St. Andrews
Street view http://goo.gl/maps/PM7z3
Linked because the author disabled embedding http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancychambers/5194533353/sizes/l/in/photostream/

edit: drat, I was hoping it was the Assumption of Mary, it's not.
http://photos.saintandrewscathedral.org.s3.amazonaws.com/2012_Michael/IMG_2030a.jpg

I'm going through their photos to see if there is a window or painting that looks like the one from the book since they're the right shape, you can browse them easily if you GIS
site:http://saintandrewscathedral.org/

edit2: nope, no matches.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 17, 2013

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012

BJG posted:

Sounded unlikely to me too.

Preiss and Palencar may well have had baseball in mind as one of their sources for this image. But as far as Charleston is concerned, I know I sound like a broken record, but I'd still like someone to dig next to this monument, between the tree and the stone on the west side.

Branches either side and white stone in the middle. Simple.

If you can tell me exactly where this is located I'll go check it out today.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

BJG posted:

Maybe it's another reference to the pirate monument and the fact that 22 people were hanged there on the 8th Nov 1718.

Well, I'll be, so there were. That is an excellent catch.

When I tried to fit dates to the monument I'd always thought of the date of Stede Bonnet's hanging, but since he appealed for clemency several times after the trial his hanging took place about ten days later than the other pirates (some of whom also may have asked for clemency, but since they weren't of noble birth like Bonnet, nobody cared.) November 8th would certainly fit; I'd say 22 pirates being hanged at once qualifies as a scene.

McIneri posted:

Good luck! At this point, I would be so damned happy for anyone to find this thing, so I can stop obsessing about it. :haw:

McIneri
Jan 4, 2012

bonestructure posted:

Well, I'll be, so there were. That is an excellent catch.

When I tried to fit dates to the monument I'd always thought of the date of Stede Bonnet's hanging, but since he appealed for clemency several times after the trial his hanging took place about ten days later than the other pirates (some of whom also may have asked for clemency, but since they weren't of noble birth like Bonnet, nobody cared.) November 8th would certainly fit; I'd say 22 pirates being hanged at once qualifies as a scene.

Good luck! At this point, I would be so damned happy for anyone to find this thing, so I can stop obsessing about it. :haw:

Me too! I have been crazy obsessed with this whole deal since I first was told about this thread a few weeks ago. I live in Charleston now and have been looking for something to occupy my brain and this has just been perfect. If anyone one here has any specific places they want me to look I'm free all day today and feeling a bit antsy. White Point Gardens or Hampton Park seem to be good contenders. I took pictures of Marion Square and put them on this thread not long ago. Anywhere else in Charleston I should look/take pictures of today?

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

McIneri posted:

For some while I thought there was a chance this was buried beside that Sullivan's Island memorial, like I say, right next to it, west side. And I still think there's a chance. There's a tendency for people to think "we'll know for sure when we find the spot", but I don't think that's true. I think it's going to take a bit of adventurous, experimental digging to actually unearth one of these. While I was aware of the White Point Gardens theory though, I've never seen it laid out so clearly as bonestructure has done, and I find that a pretty compelling interpretation too. This has probably already been said, but given the Fort Sumter shape surely the Sumter house for the "white house" at the west side of the park has to be a prime candidate.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Houston

Okay I'm back. I don't feel like my trip was entirely worthless... but I am tired as all gently caress from it. I may head back out there tomorrow, so if any of you other folks find anything, just let me know over PMs or in this thread and I'll move over to your location. Because for some reason I am now actually willing to bend my anonymity policy for this. :psyduck:

Oh and speaking of PMs, einTier, I tried to send you one just now but it didn't go through because your Inbox is full. Please fix this soon. Thanks! ;)

rookhunter, I can't tell if you're a troll or not, and I'm way too tired to actually find out right now, so... I'm just gonna leave that there for now.

Also, GPR, I need one, where can I get one, how do I rent one, etc. Someone tell me the procedure for this, please.

I am not a troll. This hunt has been a passion for the last year and a half. I even made a 500+ mile trip to New Orleans to dig.
(I just dont get on the internet on the weekends)
Evidence:
This was me digging for New Orleans. "Giant pole, Giant step.."

BTW a personal note on GPRs. They take skill and practice to work effectively. I think there are alternatives though if you are interested.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Rook definitely isn't a troll - you can find his username all over the places we've found Secret stuff on the internet dating back years. Some people look at the puzzle differently and have different theories. The fun thing is, no matter how much "better" one feels than another, they're all probably equally dumb/wrong. :v:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

BJG posted:

For some while I thought there was a chance this was buried beside that Sullivan's Island memorial, like I say, right next to it, west side. And I still think there's a chance. There's a tendency for people to think "we'll know for sure when we find the spot", but I don't think that's true. I think it's going to take a bit of adventurous, experimental digging to actually unearth one of these. While I was aware of the White Point Gardens theory though, I've never seen it laid out so clearly as bonestructure has done, and I find that a pretty compelling interpretation too. This has probably already been said, but given the Fort Sumter shape surely the Sumter house for the "white house" at the west side of the park has to be a prime candidate.

True. But the Sumter memorial is on the east side of the park (as is a white house on the corner). If we interpret "arms" cannons, then I believe the east side of the park is also where most of the cannons are paired off, instead of just sitting singly. (I could be completely misremembering though)

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Loving this thread though I don't have much to contribute.

A few things about NYC. I've read every page but forgive me if I'm repeating here. One thing is the colored circles looking like a colorblindness test as previously mentioned. While people wouldn't have had photoshop, the use of colored cellophane to act like a decoder wasn't unusual then. Maybe there is an outline hidden once you eliminate a primary color.

Also I cannot help but see a lion in the style of a coat of arms in the foam. Maybe it's just foam but there's a lot of space used there.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Houston

GOOD EVENING FOLKS!! THIS IS DR. GITMO MONEYSON, COMING TO YOU LIVE FROM HOUSTON TEXAS!!!

... and I can't figure out how to post pictures off of my iPhone. Also I'm running low on battery power and I have to wait until tomorrow before I can get permission to do any digging at my primary site. :negative:

Does your account have Platinum? Son you best spill that secret to me over PMs, cuz I just spent 4 hours driving to Houston in loving rush hour traffic with a car full of digging equipment and I would like to feel like it wasn't a complete waste of my time or food money! :catstare:

(Also I really wanna compare notes with you outside of this thread, since I've narrowed my solution down to two or three possible locations, one of which I have a LOT of confidence in and took some photos of earlier this afternoon. :ssh:)

Sorry I left for the weekend, let's compare notes. Give me your email. I might be willing to do a combined expedition :)

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

xie posted:

Rook definitely isn't a troll - you can find his username all over the places we've found Secret stuff on the internet dating back years. Some people look at the puzzle differently and have different theories. The fun thing is, no matter how much "better" one feels than another, they're all probably equally dumb/wrong. :v:

I think that the main problem is being too sure about things and putting forth a theory as truth.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm almost certain that there's writing on the right side of the wave. Here it is cropped from the high-res scan, you can't really see it in the scan from the OP, but I have a copy of the book and it's definitely there.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Sten Freak posted:

Loving this thread though I don't have much to contribute.

A few things about NYC. I've read every page but forgive me if I'm repeating here. One thing is the colored circles looking like a colorblindness test as previously mentioned. While people wouldn't have had photoshop, the use of colored cellophane to act like a decoder wasn't unusual then. Maybe there is an outline hidden once you eliminate a primary color.

This is a GREAT idea. I can remember a game around that time that did that, I think it was password or something. Usually the cellophane used was red. I think someone with the skills should give this a try.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

rookhunter posted:

Sorry I left for the weekend, let's compare notes. Give me your email. I might be willing to do a combined expedition :)

You might just have a deal here, sir. :hfive:

... although I think I'd prefer to contact you via PMs instead of email, which would require you to upgrade your SA Forums account to Platinum. It costs $10, but... I... suppose I could pitch in the cost for that, if you don't want to.

I'm making another preliminary recon trip out to Houston this afternoon, but I won't be able to stay out there for very long. I'll have my phone with me though, so I'll have access to the forums from that.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I think that the main problem is being too sure about things and putting forth a theory as truth.

I'm sorry I posted things assuming everyone had history on what I said.
I made this summary for Roanoke, which is basically a freebee.

Please please please keep in mind that digging there may be a crime.

http://freepdfhosting.com/ca8c713629.pdf

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

GWBBQ posted:

"From research, it seems that there are only three blue domed Russian Orthodox Churches in the United States: Kodiak, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia"
Which image/verse is this in relation too?

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

rookhunter posted:

Please please please keep in mind that digging there may be a crime.

...and having given that due consideration, Turn that place over good. There's a casque! There's a casque!

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

You might just have a deal here, sir. :hfive:

... although I think I'd prefer to contact you via PMs instead of email, which would require you to upgrade your SA Forums account to Platinum. It costs $10, but... I... suppose I could pitch in the cost for that, if you don't want to.

I'm making another preliminary recon trip out to Houston this afternoon, but I won't be able to stay out there for very long. I'll have my phone with me though, so I'll have access to the forums from that.

Let me upgrade and Ill PM you.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

GWBBQ posted:

I'm almost certain that there's writing on the right side of the wave. Here it is cropped from the high-res scan, you can't really see it in the scan from the OP, but I have a copy of the book and it's definitely there.

The way the word "definitely" is being used in this thread is getting increasingly surreal, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 8

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson, I PM'd you some of my thoughts on this.

I've been most compelled by this photograph I was lucky to find:

Here we're looking at the Atropos Key statue with the Miller Outdoor Theater in the background. Look closely at the face of the statue to see the diamond shape that's cut out and in the center of it you see the apex tip of the theater building. Both of these features are relatable to the poem lines:

In the center of four alike = a diamond shape (the four sided 2D kind) has four sides of equal length
No lion fears = No fear of apex predator = apex (no predator)

Draw a line through these points to locate the spot on the ground near where this photo was taken to find the cask.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 17, 2013