Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

The fcc report has a screen part number but no reference can be found online.
Yeah, I looked up the part number and didn't find anything. One site said that it's 1920x1080 but that seems like a guess. I hope they're wrong, because 16:9 is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Don Lapre posted:

You should buy an ipad or wait for the new nexus 7.
Counterpoint: reading CBR/CBZ on a 7" tablet sucks.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

counter-counterpoint: he didn't read beyond the first sentence anyway

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Syrinxx posted:

Occasionally text might be a bit small, but overall it seems fine to me.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Syrinxx posted:

I do it all the time on my nexus 7 and it works fine. I never have to zoom in or hold it close to my face to read text.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I do it all the time on my nexus 7 and it works fine. I never have to zoom in or hold it close to my face to read text.
PDFs can be a pain in the rear end though. Even on an iPad, I often feel the need to zoom just so I don't get eyestrain.

EDIT: Ehh, I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario is that I take it back to the store. No big deal.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

PDFs can be a pain in the rear end though. Even on an iPad, I often feel the need to zoom just so I don't get eyestrain.
Your first-gen iPad has a terrible pixel density, and that's probably the problem. A tablet with 250+PPI will be much nicer to read on.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm looking at the Nook HD+ as a replacement for my fist gen iPad. Pretty much all I do with the iPad is read comics (cbz, cbr), PDFs and ebooks. Obviously the fact that B&N opened up the Play store to the device is a huge advantage, but how is the UI on the Nook HD+? I have read that it is laggy, but I've also read that it's fine - I'm not sure which to believe. Would I be better off rooting from an SD card to get better performance? I image that all I'd do different from the iPad is occasionally stream from Amazon Prime or play some Android games. Also, is the battery life comparable to the iPad 1 in any way, shape, or form?

If you're intending to stream from Amazon Prime then just get an iPad, or a Kindle Fire if you're really not wanting to spend the money. There's no Android native app for Amazon streaming, except on Amazon-branded devices. There is, however, a great Amazon streaming app for the iPad.

The Flash-player related methods of watching it on Android are janky, especially considering you need to sideload Flash and then use an alternate browser because it's not supported in Chrome. When I tried it on a Nexus 10 it half worked and drank battery like water. I imagine it would suck even worse on something less powerful.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Your first-gen iPad has a terrible pixel density, and that's probably the problem. A tablet with 250+PPI will be much nicer to read on.

This. People seem to forget that the 1st-gen iPad is only a 1024x768 screen, terribly lovely for reading now matter how much Apple pimped iBooks at launch.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Good point. I have tried to read some of my PDF books on a 7" though, and they still weren't great. That being said, they were scans and not native PDFs.

kitten smoothie posted:

If you're intending to stream from Amazon Prime then just get an iPad, or a Kindle Fire if you're really not wanting to spend the money. There's no Android native app for Amazon streaming, except on Amazon-branded devices. There is, however, a great Amazon streaming app for the iPad.

The Flash-player related methods of watching it on Android are janky, especially considering you need to sideload Flash and then use an alternate browser because it's not supported in Chrome. When I tried it on a Nexus 10 it half worked and drank battery like water. I imagine it would suck even worse on something less powerful.
Amazon Prime isn't a huge consideration, as I don't do a lot of traveling. If I really want to watch something, I do it on my TV. I did get stuck in an airport a couple of months ago and video was a huge consideration. Of course, even with the iPad, it was a moot point since I couldn't grab an IP address to even get online anyway...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Good point. I have tried to read some of my PDF books on a 7" though, and they still weren't great.
Every single 7" tablet except the Nook HD has a poor resolution. That's why the Nexus 7 2013 needs to have a 1200x1920 screen. Or at least 900x1440.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Every single 7" tablet except the Nook HD has a poor resolution. That's why the Nexus 7 2013 needs to have a 1200x1920 screen. Or at least 900x1440.
Oh, ok. That explains that, then. I'm not big into tablets, so I'm not privy to the ins and outs of the particular form factors.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh, ok. That explains that, then. I'm not big into tablets, so I'm not privy to the ins and outs of the particular form factors.
You came to the right place. We do the sperging so you don't have to.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

According to the analyst, the new Nexus 7 would be co-created by Google and Asus with a few noteworthy upgrades to its previous iteration. The revamped 7in display will support full HD (1920 x 1200 pixels) resolution at 16:10 aspect ratio with the new LTPS technology.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

:cry:

Great, now I'm waiting for that to come out before I get a tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hahaha gently caress you for getting me all excited. The International Business Times is the kid on the playground with the uncle that works at Nintendo.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

S4 Pro quad, rear camera, and integrated LTE.

Perfect. except the battery

And if that photo is correct they've kept the same design format for case compatibility.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's wrong with the battery? S4 pro should be more energy efficient than Tegra 3, so it should have no problem getting the normal 8 hours of run-time the current N7 gets.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm looking at the Nook HD+ as a replacement for my fist gen iPad. Pretty much all I do with the iPad is read comics (cbz, cbr), PDFs and ebooks. Obviously the fact that B&N opened up the Play store to the device is a huge advantage, but how is the UI on the Nook HD+? I have read that it is laggy, but I've also read that it's fine - I'm not sure which to believe. Would I be better off rooting from an SD card to get better performance? I image that all I'd do different from the iPad is occasionally stream from Amazon Prime or play some Android games. Also, is the battery life comparable to the iPad 1 in any way, shape, or form?

If you're serious about your comics, you should start saving for a Lenovo Horizon 27.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/ideacentre/horizon-series/horizon-27/index.html

I don't know how it works for other applications, but it is utterly amazing at displaying HD comic content, including reading four at a time in separate quadrants.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
quote from one of the new N7 links:

"The revamped 7in display will support full HD (1920 x 1200 pixels) resolution at 16:10 aspect ratio with the new LTPS technology. The new display technology is said to be comparable to the Retina display quality of current generation iPad tablets."

Is this just some usual tech site chatter or am I wrong about retina referring to anything else than pixel density ?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Retina means literally nothing, it's a bullshit trade word like any other company comes up with. The general idea is that the panel has high pixel density which all other high end tablets also have.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ugh... Yeah. The iPhone 4 announcement was probably my least-favorite WWDC keynote, because I knew that all high-pixel-density displays would henceforth be compared to Retina. "It's retina-like resolution", "It's nice, but it's definitely not retina", and so on.

Apple definitely has the marketing keyword segment nailed.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just wanted to hop back in and say that I purchased a Nook HD+ over the weekend and that I think it is a great deal for the price. The display is great and the touchscreen is very responsive - I had read reviews stating the touchscreen was sluggish and that it took a couple of taps to get anything to happen, but I found this to not be the case. In addition, not having to deal with iTunes when I want to put a file on the tablet was great.

The only downsides I've encountered so far are that the screen is a bit smaller than the iPad screen (about .5" diagonal) and you can't sideload an .apk without it being a pretty long process. I was looking at how to get Amazon Prime videos on the device and it seems that the only way is to either root or go through the process of turning the tablet into a dev platform.

A big thorn in my side is the fact that it has a proprietary charging cable (similar to the iPad cable.) One more cable for me to manage, drat it.

Other than those two minor annoyances and one larger one, the tablet is well worth the $150/$180 cost (and it looks like that "sale" price point may be the new price, since it hasn't changed on the B&N site.)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Amazon Prime videos

Even then I don't think it's possible with anything other than a stock Kindle Fire. That functionality is built into the framework of their build, not just a couple of apks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Even then I don't think it's possible with anything other than a stock Kindle Fire. That functionality is built into the framework of their build, not just a couple of apks.
You might be correct, but I have read in numerous places that it is possible if you install the Flash .apk and watch through the browser. Obviously, I'll have to confirm this in practice.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

You might be correct, but I have read in numerous places that it is possible if you install the Flash .apk and watch through the browser. Obviously, I'll have to confirm this in practice.

Browser, yes if you can get flash working, which becomes more difficult as time goes on. I'd love to see them convert to HTML5.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Finally got around to putting CM10 on my TF700 Infinity. If anyone's annoyed by this tablet's sluggish performance I recommend making the switch because CM10 has totally breathed new life into it. I was coming from an early April CROMi build for what it's worth, and still was frustrated by the performance until now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

berzerkmonkey posted:

I remember reading in a few places that if you sideload Flash and use Firefox, you can use Prime through the browser

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

Finally got around to putting CM10 on my TF700 Infinity. If anyone's annoyed by this tablet's sluggish performance I recommend making the switch because CM10 has totally breathed new life into it. I was coming from an early April CROMi build for what it's worth, and still was frustrated by the performance until now.

Let me know how your battery life is. I currently have Clean Rom Inheritance and I can only use my tablet for a few hours before the battery dies.

I have uninstalled a few apps like Facebook and some smaller poo poo.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sorry about the DP, don't know if people actively watch this thread and wanted some help with ROMS.

I tried installing CM10 on my Infinity about two days ago and what a head ache... Android.process.media kept crashing on CM10. Cm10R3, CM10R4, and CM10R5 would all consistently freeze during the CM loading screen. Even after full system wipes. I needed the media process to download anything or install anything, so nothing google worked at all.

I switched back over to CleanROM Inheritance and bam, everything works. I don't know what it is about my tablet that makes CM not work on it, but I would like to figure it out.

Could it possibly be my recovery program? I am currently using Teamwin Recovery 2.4.1.0.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

For CM10 on my Infinity I switched from TWRP back to CWM touch. Not sure if that made a difference. Also I had to update my bootloader before anything would work because the old one caused constant bootloops. It seems like this might be your issue.

So far, battery life is about the same as CROMi with slighly better idle battery life, but everything is snappier and I like that I can use CyanDelta to keep up to date. Very happy with the switch, hope you get your problems sorted.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If I flash a new boot loader, will I have to reinstall my ROM again? I guess not. Every time I do something to my tablet and it takes like longer then 10 seconds to do something I was freak out thinking I broke my tablet. Like it sat at the first ASUS screen with blue loading bar and sat at one blue bar segment for a good 20 seconds.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 19, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
So what's everyone's thoughts on the just-announced Samsung Ativ-Q?

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/20/ativ-q/

-Windows 8 and Jelly Bean running side-by-side (probably just Windows 8 running Android in emulation). Not sure if the Android portion runs Touchwiz, but they did demo S-Pen features
-13.3 inches with an integrated flip-out keyboard and stand
-3200x1800 resolution
-Some kind of Intel i5 processor
-4gb RAM
-128gb SSD
-3 pounds
-Magnesium body

I'm assuming that based on the specs this thing is going to be $1300-ish.

I'm loathe to run Windows since I've been using Macs for a decade, but having a device that can run Photoshop and Lightroom AND Android apps at the same time is very appealing to me. This would basically replace my old Macbook Pro.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A huge, heavy tablet doesn't really sound appealing to me at all. As a laptop it sounds fine, though the form factor looks awkward when used that way. I'm betting battery life is not very good, either, if that matters to you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

A huge, heavy tablet doesn't really sound appealing to me at all. As a laptop it sounds fine, though the form factor looks awkward when used that way. I'm betting battery life is not very good, either, if that matters to you.

Android wakelocks when you suspend Windows :mmmhmm:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Posting from my new nook hd+ and it is pretty :krad:. I was on the verge of getting a nexus 10 but for my purposes ( lots and lots of reading) this is everything I really want for a third of the price.

But oh man does the native launcher suck though. As soon as it updates up to the Play store I am cleaning house.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Endless Mike posted:

It looks like it's running Haswell so the battery should actually be good.

Edit:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/20/samsung-ativ-q-hands-on-with-the-new-windows-android-slider/

Says up to 9 hours of battery life.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is there any reason I might want to retain the Nook's native os rather than flattening it in favor of CM10? I don't plan on ever using barnes and noble as a bookseller.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I had an original Nook Color than ran 500000 times better with CM7. I know the new nooks have the play store, but I would imagine that if you're technically savvy enough then installing CM10 would probably be the first thing I'd do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Bah my Nexus 7 decided to crack it's screen today, I opened up the case only to notice it wasn't working and then saw it was cracked starting from the left center. Looking at the crack there's no way I could have done it, (it looks similar to this) since it's always in it's case and there looks to be no point of impact. Technically it's still under warranty (and it seems to be a common problem on the internet) so I'm going to attempt to get an RMA on it, but apparently I shouldn't get my hopes up.