Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

AlphaDog posted:

Does everyone use a mousepad?

Since I got my very first optical mouse, I haven't used one at all. Now it looks like there are all different types and stuff. Do they make a difference? I haven't noticed any problems with my G5 just on the desk, except that the feet wore out after 5 or 6 years.

I have some cloth one with a gel wrist rest on it. Innovera, I think? Mostly I wanted the wrist rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a Microsoft Touch Mouse, which I really like, but it's completely useless for gaming. The scroll is too sensitive, and you need to lift your index finger off the mouse to register right clicks. I don't play any serious games, but I don't think I'd even be able to iron sight and shoot with this one, or move and attack at the same time.

My old mouse is wired, so I'd like another wireless mouse so I can just turn the mouse off and switch them without having to fish out a cable each time.

I don't need anything that looks like a Decepticon or has an entire numpad on it, I can live with just Back/Forward buttons.
One thing I would like is a cradle so it's topped up when I do use it though.

Any recommendations? The Razer Mamba looks like it might work, but at that price I'd like to hear impressions first. Razer's stuff is spotty sometimes.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

TheLordOfKraa posted:

In the market for a new mouse I currently use a Logitech g700 (and like it a lot), but its reaching the end of its life and I'm looking for something similar but not wireless. Anybody have a good suggestion for a mouse with a tilt wheel and a real wired connection?

What's wrong with the g700? It uses the cable when you connect it that way.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g700s-rechargable-wireless-gaming-mouse posted:

The game doesn’t need to stop when it’s time to recharge. G700s charges during play over its standard Micro-USB cable. To power up, switch seamlessly from wireless to data-over-cable connection over a standard Micro-USB cable.

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

Tamba posted:

What's wrong with the g700? It uses the cable when you connect it that way.

The cable tends to get unplugged fairly often when I'm gaming -- and there's a few seconds of "oh poo poo no mouse" while it swaps from wired to wireless.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Use tape. Tape fixes everything

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Horizontal Tree posted:

Use tape. Tape fixes everything

Yup that's why I bought a $100 mouse, so I could tape it into functional condition.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What kind of space aerobics are you doing with your mouse to cause a USB cable to come unplugged? Does it not fit securely to begin with?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aphrodite posted:

I have a Microsoft Touch Mouse, which I really like, but it's completely useless for gaming. The scroll is too sensitive, and you need to lift your index finger off the mouse to register right clicks. I don't play any serious games, but I don't think I'd even be able to iron sight and shoot with this one, or move and attack at the same time.

My old mouse is wired, so I'd like another wireless mouse so I can just turn the mouse off and switch them without having to fish out a cable each time.

I don't need anything that looks like a Decepticon or has an entire numpad on it, I can live with just Back/Forward buttons.

Any recommendations? The Razer Mamba looks like it might work, but at that price I'd like to hear impressions first. Razer's stuff is spotty sometimes.

Logitech G9x, because Razer products make me feel like I'm finger-banging a robot.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Ragingsheep posted:

How's the SteelSeries Sensei Raw?

I'm looking to replace the G5 with either that or the G500s. Benefits of the G500s include the extra thumb button and same shape as the G5 but its $88AUD vs. $~35 for the Sensei.

I spent £50 on a Steelseries Sensei about 6 months ago and it's terrible.

The buttons on the right side of it are super awkward to press and I don't use the on-the-fly sensitivity switching, so it's basically a £2 Windows optical mouse with two extra side buttons.

Also, the scroll wheel squeaks when I scroll down :argh:

e: ~*~32 bit ARM processor~*~ :pcgaming:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 13, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Logitech G9x, because Razer products make me feel like I'm finger-banging a robot.

That one is wired though.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Aphrodite posted:

I'm using a Logitech Performance MX after sending back a G700, the hyperscroll mouse wheel is a lot less sensitive and the battery lasts for about two weeks vs G700's two days. It doesn't have a cradle, but this is a bonus IMO as you can still use the mouse when it's charging. The only weirdness about the Performance MX is a complete lack of in-app DPI settings, but I set the awkward bottom thumb button to a dpi switcher.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I have to return my Func MS-3 for a replacement because of wire issues :(
Even the slightest pull on the wire completely restarts the mouse, so I can't play games at all and it even does it during normal desktop use. Gonna be stuck another 2 weeks or so with no mouse :cry:

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I have a G700 and I don't think I've ever unplugged it. I LOVE the Logitech scroll wheel, the extra buttons are perfect for games like LOL and it's just really really comfortable and solid.

The cable has never fallen out, I don't even know how that could happen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone else have bad luck with Logitech mice?

I bought a G5. After 2 years the cord got weak and the mouse would randomly shut off. I got that replaced by Logitech with another G5, did the same thing. After about a year of the G500 they replaced it with, the right mouse button is acting up and aiming in FPS's is hard. Logitech was super awesome in replacing for me twice, but it's kinda hard to feel confident with their product.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love my G700, but I really wish Logitech would go back to using a recharge cradle. I don't like having cables running across my desk.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I'm contemplating on buying a Roccat Kone Pure, I'm looking for opinions on this particular mouse and Roaccat itself as well. So far I've heard good things but hearing as many opinions as possible is always good.

At the moment I own a Razer Imperator 2012, I've had it for almost a year but the scroll wheel is half broken and left click double clicks as well.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I only use less expensive Logitech stuff like the G1, MX300, M310 and such and I am very happy with their durability and function. The MX300 lasted well over half a decade, which is way more than I could have asked for from a twenty buck mouse. Hell, some of the old Logitech ball mice I have are still rotting away in a drawer somewhere in package because the other ones I were still using worked fine.

I picked up a couple of those e-blue Cobra Juniors from Amazon that are basically really cheap 'gaming' mice and it functions quite well, the back/forward buttons on the left side feel cheesy and cheap but they work. They have a persistant rubbery scent due to the coating on the top, are lit with bright blue LEDs even when the computer is off and are a bit uncomfortable because the shape makes my wrist bent instead of parallel to the desk, but for what amount to around 7 or 8 bucks each it was a good upgrade for my nephew's computer that still had a ball mouse connected to it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What's the thread's recommendation for a decent budget gaming mouse? I don't need extra buttons (although 2 thumb buttons would be nice), but it's gotta be relatively discrete, so not too many LEDs or cyberpunk bits. I have a Logitech G9 that I'm very happy with, just need a temporary replacement.

Edit: Wired, please

Scratch all that, just discovered that the G9x is being discontinued and it doesn't look like it'll be replaced by a similiar model. I'll just get another, even if it's a bit more expensive. My tiny, claw-like hands love that mouse, and it would suck if I couldn't get another when my 5-year old G9 finally kicks the bucket.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 16, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Betjeman posted:

I'm using a Logitech Performance MX after sending back a G700, the hyperscroll mouse wheel is a lot less sensitive and the battery lasts for about two weeks vs G700's two days. It doesn't have a cradle, but this is a bonus IMO as you can still use the mouse when it's charging. The only weirdness about the Performance MX is a complete lack of in-app DPI settings, but I set the awkward bottom thumb button to a dpi switcher.

That's what I had for a few years, but it broke. I don't think it would work so well anymore because the cable would probably catch on stuff.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

West007 posted:

I'm contemplating on buying a Roccat Kone Pure, I'm looking for opinions on this particular mouse and Roaccat itself as well. So far I've heard good things but hearing as many opinions as possible is always good.

At the moment I own a Razer Imperator 2012, I've had it for almost a year but the scroll wheel is half broken and left click double clicks as well.

I went from a Razer Abyssus/Razer Diamondback to a Roccat Kova+ about 6 months ago and have yet to look back. The build quality and feel form the Kova+ I have found to be top notch. It's light enough that I don't mind using it for extended periods of time, without feeling like a cheap toy (unlike anything Razer has put out in the last couple of years).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

West007 posted:

Strange how many people have issues with Razer mice. I have the original Imperator and it is still in 100% working condition

West007
Apr 21, 2013

You Am I posted:

Strange how many people have issues with Razer mice. I have the original Imperator and it is still in 100% working condition

I had 2 Razer Copperheads for ~6 years combined, I went with Razer again but had nothing but trouble with this Imperator 2012.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have a G5 and I have to say that it is the best goddamn mouse I've ever used. It's got enough buttons to be useful but not too many to become annoying or in the way; the weights are nice to be able to adjust it exactly how I want it (People seem to find it too light or too heavy, but it's perfect for me); The feel is good and it's still working 100% since I got it, which was about five years ago. If/when it dies I am definitely going to replace it with another Logitech because they just nail it and the only mice that compete with my G5 are other G/MX mice.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Aphrodite posted:

That's what I had for a few years, but it broke. I don't think it would work so well anymore because the cable would probably catch on stuff.

It charges the battery from empty to full in about an hour, so you can always leave it charging while you're not at the computer (or plug it into the wall overnight). The battery lasts for about two weeks for me (9-5 office use then gaming at night) so it's not like it's plugged in constantly like the G700 was.

If you liked the mouse before, I wouldn't discount it because of the cable.

something original
Sep 9, 2011
Does anyone have any recommendation for high quality small mice, preferably wired? I'm talking about tiny "laptop travel mouse" sort of thing. I use the mouse with the tip of my fingers so it has to be very small and very light. Right now I'm using a very cheap one but it's not good.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

something original posted:

Does anyone have any recommendation for high quality small mice, preferably wired? I'm talking about tiny "laptop travel mouse" sort of thing. I use the mouse with the tip of my fingers so it has to be very small and very light. Right now I'm using a very cheap one but it's not good.

Zowie Mico is the smallest good one I know of, unless you want something like a logitech VX Nano (not sure if that's still in production) but the latter is wireless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Betjeman posted:

It charges the battery from empty to full in about an hour, so you can always leave it charging while you're not at the computer (or plug it into the wall overnight). The battery lasts for about two weeks for me (9-5 office use then gaming at night) so it's not like it's plugged in constantly like the G700 was.

If you liked the mouse before, I wouldn't discount it because of the cable.

2 weeks? Wow. Mine lasted about 3 days.

Maybe I got a crappy battery in there.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I am looking to replace my G400 with something different for gaming and everyday use.

My problem is, that I never feel comfortable with a mouse, because apparently I am not able to grip mice correctly. When I am browsing or writing, I usually just grab my mouse with my fingers and move it around. When I playing video games, I start with my whole hand on top of the mouse but due to movement and frequent use of the side buttons I usually slip off the mouse within minutes again. My fingers and the part of the palm under my thumb are basically holding the mouse most of the time. This has the added benefit of tilting some mice I tried, so I was unable to do anything requiring precision at all.

Basically, the "fingertip" mice are too small and delicate for my stupid hands, while I just cannot hold onto the "palm" mice for any period of time without slipping off. Especially not when a mouse requires me to stabilize it with my thumb while putting the side buttons in some stupid to reach place. (I'm looking at you G400.)

Anybody know a mouse that might work well with my undisciplined d monkey hands? (Already had a Deathadder and a G9x, both not working out that well over time.)

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

I'd recommend a a logitech m305 except that its wireless, but overall aside from that it is inexpensive, tiny, durable and very reliable with great battery life. I picked up a logi LS 1 a while ago and didnt like it due to its high dpi and low profile, but it is a smallish wired mouse.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 17, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

nftyw posted:

I'd recommend a a logitech m305 except that its wireless, but overall aside from that it is inexpensive, tiny, durable and very reliable with great battery life.

The m305 battery life is like 2-3 months continuous use. If you want a travel mouse you don't want a wire at all, and you probably won't find a real wired travel mouse.

something original
Sep 9, 2011
The cheap mouse I'm using is really tiny, only 7 cms in length. It's also very light, like 45 grams. I thought I might find a similar size but high quality mouse but no luck. Closest thing I found is Roccat Pyra wired but there are complaints about this mouse such as the hard to press and problematic middle button and the sensor "bug" or whatever it is. There's also Steelseries Kinzu v2 Pro but it's kinda long.

Thanks for the recommendations but I can't find either Zowie Mico or (for some weird reason) Logitech m305 at online retailers in my country. And I don't feel like Ebaying. I'm gonna look into mice similar to m305 (taking battery weight into consideration) and if I can't find anyone I like I'll probably order the Kinzu v2 pro and a nice mousepad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The cheap mouse I'm using is really tiny, only 7 cms in length. It's also very light, like 45 grams. I thought I might find a similar size but high quality mouse but no luck. Closest thing I found is Roccat Pyra wired but there are complaints about this mouse such as the hard to press and problematic middle button and the sensor "bug" or whatever it is. There's also Steelseries Kinzu v2 Pro but it's kinda long.

Thanks for the recommendations but I can't find either Zowie Mico or (for some weird reason) Logitech m305 at online retailers in my country. And I don't feel like Ebaying. I'm gonna look into mice similar to m305 (taking battery weight into consideration) and if I can't find anyone I like I'll probably order the Kinzu v2 pro and a nice mousepad.

Not sure where you live but if they have mice at all they should have m305s. It's difficult to not run across ten different colors of m305 in any store in the states.

something original
Sep 9, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Not sure where you live but if they have mice at all they should have m305s. It's difficult to not run across ten different colors of m305 in any store in the states.

I live in Turkey. Found one in the Turkish equivalent of Ebay but it's a light blue color that I don't like. For the record they don't list it in their US site anymore. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice M310 might be the updated version of it. Anyway in a particular retailer (link in Turkish:http://bit.ly/1bSCS9K) they have a lot of very similar logitech models, I guess I'll just get one of them.

something original
Sep 9, 2011
Now this is cool

Getting this one, the m187. Never knew Logitech made mice this small. It works with a single AAA battery.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Randler posted:

I am looking to replace my G400 with something different for gaming and everyday use.

My problem is, that I never feel comfortable with a mouse, because apparently I am not able to grip mice correctly. When I am browsing or writing, I usually just grab my mouse with my fingers and move it around. When I playing video games, I start with my whole hand on top of the mouse but due to movement and frequent use of the side buttons I usually slip off the mouse within minutes again. My fingers and the part of the palm under my thumb are basically holding the mouse most of the time. This has the added benefit of tilting some mice I tried, so I was unable to do anything requiring precision at all.

Basically, the "fingertip" mice are too small and delicate for my stupid hands, while I just cannot hold onto the "palm" mice for any period of time without slipping off. Especially not when a mouse requires me to stabilize it with my thumb while putting the side buttons in some stupid to reach place. (I'm looking at you G400.)

Anybody know a mouse that might work well with my undisciplined d monkey hands? (Already had a Deathadder and a G9x, both not working out that well over time.)

Maybe check out the Sensei Raw?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm torn between the G500 and G700. I have this kind of ergonomic shape at work and like it, so something a bit more 'game friendly' would be a bonus. Even though I have too many cables as it is, it looks like the G500 is probably the better product.

Thoughts?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
If there are any southpaws around here, Woot currently has some left-handed Deathadders on sale.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

monster on a stick posted:

I'm torn between the G500 and G700. I have this kind of ergonomic shape at work and like it, so something a bit more 'game friendly' would be a bonus. Even though I have too many cables as it is, it looks like the G500 is probably the better product.

Thoughts?

I'm on my second g500 (my first one got that double click problem about two months ago) and I love it. My first one lasted a good 4 years, and is probably still useable since the double click issue cleared up right after logitech shipped my new one. I find it fits my hand really nicely if I palm it, but it also works when i decide to use more of a claw-y grip, too.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just plugged in my new G9x and it works like a charm. Even the dpi switcher works right away, although I'll have to install setpoint at some point to configure my hotkeys. I like to have the mouse-wheel wiggle left set to minimize, and wiggle right to open my music player. Convenient, and it has the added bonus of making my friends freak out every time they touch the mouse wheel.

What changes were made between the G9 and G9x anyways? The only difference I noticed is that the smooth grip is grey instead of black. Kind of a downgrade, as it 'll need cleaning more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Just plugged in my new G9x and it works like a charm. Even the dpi switcher works right away, although I'll have to install setpoint at some point to configure my hotkeys. I like to have the mouse-wheel wiggle left set to minimize, and wiggle right to open my music player. Convenient, and it has the added bonus of making my friends freak out every time they touch the mouse wheel.

What changes were made between the G9 and G9x anyways? The only difference I noticed is that the smooth grip is grey instead of black. Kind of a downgrade, as it 'll need cleaning more often.

The laser was upgraded which gives a higher max dpi.