Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Athenry posted:

The launch is next week right? When I can go into a store and buy one?

It depends on what date the launch gets delayed until, and if it will be delayed again after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

It's not a launch, it's an open beta.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

From the developer of Hidden In Plain Sight.

Yeah, $304 big ones!

(The last Humble Bundle made $2.6 million)

While it's insulting that he'd think anyone would pay him $50, isn't that many sales pretty much the best turnover anyone's gotten from an OUYA game?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
The game is launching 100% next week.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
100% launch in 0% of stores.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, once the launch in stores happen they're gonna call beta again. It's beta til OGABOOGA 2.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Lodin posted:

Yeah, once the launch in stores happen they're gonna call beta again. It's beta til OGABOOGA 2.

Then it's gonna be double-beta. It's beta all the way down.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

Worked for Google. How long was Gmail a "beta" before they finally dropped that off the name?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OatmealRaisin posted:

Double-secret-beta. :ssh:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Double-secret-beta. :ssh:

This actually matches OUYA's track record better. That thing you bought isn't working? Didn't we tell you? This is a beta release!

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
This beta be worth it. :mad:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Enallyniv posted:

This beta be worth it. :mad:

You beta lower your expectations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

147 games/apps in the store. 103 to go before the end of the year for XBoxPants to not get banned...

I dunno, I still don't think it'll reach 250.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

From the developer of Hidden In Plain Sight.

Yeah, $304 big ones!

(The last Humble Bundle made $2.6 million)

The sad thing is that Hidden In Plain Sight is actually a good game. It's one of the better ones on XBLIG.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Taciturn Tactician posted:

While it's insulting that he'd think anyone would pay him $50, isn't that many sales pretty much the best turnover anyone's gotten from an OUYA game?

Final Fantasy 3 had hundreds of upvotes last time someone looked, so I'd guess it might sell a few thousand copies.

That's right - the "indie" console of the future's best selling game is a port of an android game that's a port of a DS game that's a remake of a game from 1990, made by one of the largest game developers in the world primarily known for their incredibly high production value games, most especially their lavish cutscenes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JazzFlight posted:

147 games/apps in the store. 103 to go before the end of the year for XBoxPants to not get banned...

103 games/apps is a lot to ask for out of a console that's dead on arrival.

But who knows, I'm just not a believer. #ouyapark

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Protocol7 posted:

103 games/apps is a lot to ask for out of a console that's dead on arrival.

But who knows, I'm just not a believer. #ouyapark

It's worth noting that they had 104 at launch, so in the past 3 months, they've gained about 44. At their current rate, XboxPants' :toxx: is going to come down to the wire.

It's worth noting that 20% of those were one guy dumping 9 emulators at the same time.

edit: Almost every single tweet with #ouyapark in it is from the food truck company.

Also:

I'm glad they were able to solve his issue.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 17, 2013

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JazzFlight posted:

I don't put it past Ouya people to heap ever increasing amounts of shovelware bullshit onto their market even as it becomes obvious the thing is a failure.

They might not be as visibly retarded as the Buttcoin crowd, but the same delusions are obviously at play.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I imagine it all hinges on how many OUCHes end up in the garbage in the coming months.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Midjack posted:

Worked for Google. How long was Gmail a "beta" before they finally dropped that off the name?

That's just an accent issue. At the time people first started using gmail, it was betta' than outlook and lotus notes by far.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Xbox One had Forza 5. PS4 had driveclub.

Now it's time for a new breed of racing...

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Is that Julie in the first screenshot because I would pay up to $0.99 to play a cart racer as her.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Hatbox Ghost posted:

"Position: 1th"

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

JazzFlight posted:

ouya.tv posted:

A LOT OF GAMES. LIKE, A LOT.
Boasting both award-winning developers and up-and-comers, you’ll always be on the cutting edge of game releases, as OUYA delivers every genre you love, from shooters and action adventures to RPGs and puzzles. And since OUYA downloads all its games directly, that means no compact discs cluttering the coffee table. Hope you have some sick days stored up.

A lot.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Hatbox Ghost posted:

It's impressive how a microconsole like the OUYA can deliver graphics competitive with a premium console like the PlayStation.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hatbox Ghost posted:

You know, it makes me kind of sad that someone probably worked pretty hard to make that piece of poo poo, and they're proud and/or oblivious enough of it to show it to other people.
It makes me even sadder knowing that there will probably be plenty of people to feed that delusion.

Peel posted:

It's impressive how a microconsole like the OUYA can deliver graphics competitive with a premium console like the PlayStation.

And with half the success, too!

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

glug posted:

That's just an accent issue. At the time people first started using gmail, it was betta' than outlook and lotus notes by far.

Isn't DOTA 2 still in freakin beta? When did beta become this catchall safety net for "Don't blame us for any bugs"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Isn't DOTA 2 still in freakin beta? When did beta become this catchall safety net for "Don't blame us for any bugs"

The problem, as with any jargon, is once it becomes mainstream and enters the modern vernacular the word becomes corrupted.

Now its a marketing excuse. Just like "cloud" has become a marketing buzzword.

Yeah calling DOTA 2 a "beta" at this point is pretty silly. They have goddamned tournaments where people win money; the beta is loving over.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

I'm glad they were able to solve his issue.

This deserves more love.

Relevant thread for more fun!

alsutton@ouya posted:

[Just to make clear, my posts are my views on things, not an official statement from OUYA]

So from the messages I'm seeing here there are far more "I want to see it because I think someone else may find it useful" than "Here's what I personally can do with it". There seem to be a few "Here's the definition of open I use, you're not complying with my definition, therefore I think you're bad and you should feel bad" again with very little detail about actually needing it.

I've noticed a number of support tickets which run along the lines of "I bought your product, changed the system software, not it doesn't work and you need to help me fix it", which I, personally, see as beyond the remit of support (If you buy a car, change parts of the engine, then it breaks down, are you going to go back to the dealership saying "well you left the bonet accessible?"). That's not to say OUYA won't do anything about that situation, but aggressive emails about how you've borked your box with your modifications and think it's OUYAs problem aren't going to help make the case for giving lower level access to everyone.

As for "Open"; Well, a year or so ago the idea of going into a gaming centric store like GameStop or Game, buying a console, taking it home, writing a game on it, and publishing it without spending big money on development kits, licensing, and the like was pretty much non-existant. That's where OUYA is open; It's open to anyone to write games and apps without having to pay dev kit and licensing fees, it's open in that once you have your console you can code for it.

The reason you can still simply get root access is that I've seen people want to tinker beyond what most users would do. OUYA could stick to what was originally put on the Kickstarter page and take away root from non-devkits, but I, for one, would be against that, because I've seen that people do use it constructively and responsibly, and not everyone bricks their device then raises a support ticket to try and get OUYA to fix it.

OUYA are now in launch mode, so it's *highly* unlikely anything will change in relation to recovery mode any time soon because of the potential for extra support load from "my modifications+borked=your problem" tickets, and now that I've seen the "All post here to get recovery" style posts elsewhere I know that any figures I see will be skewed, so I'll have to take that into account.

So it's up to you if you want to keep posting "Me too" posts here, but I'm unlikely to read this thread regularly if it continues to become a "+1 for what they said because someone else said it's cool" thread.

TL;DR - if anybody screws their system up, it's not possible to do anything with it, without having USB keyboard to crash the startup. It's not an issue due to "user error".

Well - if I were to buy a car, and if I replaced the engine, and if I were to see it's not working, I'd, I guess, put the original engine back on? In this, broken, analogy, the new engine has exploded sending parts flying everywhere. On the other hand - I do see the point he's trying to make, though even on Windows, if I screw something up I *can* install a fresh copy and am not left with useless piece of junk.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

eithedog posted:

TL;DR - if anybody screws their system up, it's not possible to do anything with it, without having USB keyboard to crash the startup. It's not an issue due to "user error".

Well - if I were to buy a car, and if I replaced the engine, and if I were to see it's not working, I'd, I guess, put the original engine back on? In this, broken, analogy, the new engine has exploded sending parts flying everywhere. On the other hand - I do see the point he's trying to make, though even on Windows, if I screw something up I *can* install a fresh copy and am not left with useless piece of junk.

That would be just LOVELY if they hadn't literally advertised "Hackers welcome".

"Hackers welcome to try, but if you screw anything up you've voided your warranty and we're not going to fix it" is the policy of every other piece of hardware in the world, so it's pretty irritating that they act like they're more friendly.

They still haven't realized that "really wanting to be a certain way" or "saying we will be a certain way" doesn't make you that way.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

quote:

It's open to anyone to write games and apps without having to pay dev kit and licensing fees, it's open in that once you have your console you can code for it.

And with the quality of games that are showing up on their marketplace, I wonder if they're reconsidering the idea.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

eithedog posted:

This deserves more love.

Relevant thread for more fun!

That thread is amazing.

If this were any other company, all those OUYA employees would be fired and the internet would be pointing out how much of a douchebag they are kind of like what happened to Adam Orth.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Hatbox Ghost posted:

It's gonna have a hard time trying to compete with quality like this

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah calling DOTA 2 a "beta" at this point is pretty silly. They have goddamned tournaments where people win money; the beta is loving over.

Even if it was in beta and they weren't using it in tournaments, you know what game they'd use instead? Dota1.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 17, 2013

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

DOTA 2 has been a beta for so long because they've tested different aspects before deciding it was fully released - server capacity, character balance, community management and so on. I believe it's exiting beta fairly soon, at least according to RPS.

The DON'TBUY is in beta because they're figuring out new ways to fleece consumers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cloks posted:

DOTA 2 has been a beta for so long because they've tested different aspects before deciding it was fully released - server capacity, character balance, community management and so on. I believe it's exiting beta fairly soon, at least according to RPS.

The DON'TBUY is in beta because they're figuring out new ways to fleece consumers.

Their motivations may be different, yes, but the important point is that neither is truly in beta, the term is now meaningless. Both are released (well OUYA is about to be, and is for kickstarters) and yet continuing to finish features. That's not beta, that's unfinished. You can do an unfinished release, sure, but that sounds bad so they call it a public buy-in beta. (and leave the buy-in part out) Nothing wrong with that per-se, except its completely against the original term of beta in software context, which was a round of testing prior to release which takes place off-campus.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Also the reason we actually have a 'beta' like this for Dota2 is because players saw how it looked at The International and there was such a massive outcry for a beta that valve had to crank out invites and servers to hold everyone in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Doesn't something being a "beta" also take a lot of legally mandated support stuff off the table? I always heard that as the reason for Google apps being in beta in perpetuity.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Cloks posted:

You can argue the same for both considering the sheer amount of TF2 like crap that's flooding the shop (I swear to god, it's now my goal in life to find the employee who thought it was a bright idea to create those chests, kidnap him and put him in a room jigsaw style and make him spend the rest of his time unlocking chests in hopes that one will contain the key to his freedom).

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

OrganizedInsanity posted:

You can argue the same for both considering the sheer amount of TF2 like crap that's flooding the shop (I swear to god, it's now my goal in life to find the employee who thought it was a bright idea to create those chests, kidnap him and put him in a room jigsaw style and make him spend the rest of his time unlocking chests in hopes that one will contain the key to his freedom).

But if you spend more money you can get more trading cards! Does the OUYA have that kind of added value? I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

OatmealRaisin posted:

But if you spend more money you can get more trading cards! Does the OUYA have that kind of added value? I don't think so.

Don't give them any ideas, I can already see it now:

Introducing the Ouya Surprise(tm)! For the low low price of $99.99 we'll ship you one of 3 different versions of Ouya and one of 2 different controllers! Will you get the "dev console" or the amazing wifi blocking vanilla one? Who knows! The combinations are endless, you'll have to collect 'em all to find one that actually works!

• Locked thread