Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Polymerized Cum posted:

It's a DC-10. They should fill the fuselage with fire retardant, so when it inevitably spirals into the wildfire it will put it out.

I couldn't help but laugh, but come on dude, the DC-10 is a good bird. It was an expensive path to MAKE it good, but good, nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And it's perfect for this application; they just have to orbit the fire until the cargo door blows out!

:downsrim:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Jacked this off my twitter feed.

God dammit, there's a reason for those "do not flush toilet while parked" signs in the bathrooms!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Welp, that didn't take long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U6IJ-LS3Xs&t=79s

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
drat, it really does look better in flight than it does in that picture. I didn't even notice the weird squishy nose. I'm not sure how much of that is just the caveman in me dumbstruck when something the size of an airliner takes off and actually flies, though. It's still impressive, even though I've watched it happen for the entirety of my life.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
This particular hospital thinks that when approaching the aircraft, you should look like the guy from that Pearl Jam album. Safety first.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Polymerized Cum posted:

Waiting for my partner to go pee (her bladder is the size of a walnut)

Interesting door design there.

IFR with the gunner's window open.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Triggs posted:

Interesting door design there.

IFR with the gunner's window open.

Even though the air conditioning on the BK is so loving powerful it literally blows frost, the ECU is not available during takeoff, climb or landing. Some hot days in the summer, I really wish we could just keep the doors open until 1000' AGL

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Some vids from a friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh04tJXcYzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BglU98n278

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Polymerized Cum posted:

Even though the air conditioning on the BK is so loving powerful it literally blows frost, the ECU is not available during takeoff, climb or landing. Some hot days in the summer, I really wish we could just keep the doors open until 1000' AGL

What's preventing you guys from flying with the doors off?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Triggs posted:

What's preventing you guys from flying with the doors off?

Part 135 and CAMTS regulations. And the fact that there would be a trail of poorly secured soft medical equipment like suction catheters and gloves.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

I couldn't help but laugh, but come on dude, the DC-10 is a good bird. It was an expensive path to MAKE it good, but good, nonetheless.

Speaking of which, saw this at Pearson International yesterday. I had no idea they were still hauling passengers...or is this the tragically uncool MD-11?

Also: mid-50s Life had a special issue on aviation. A few pics:

Just meal preparation for a long flight - filet mignon. 60 years from now, scientists will say your meals will be made to order by the robot-chef in the aircraft galley, using food super-concentrates! Everything from De-odorized durian to the finest chicago hot dogs will be selectable!

From jack rabbits to O'hare, it's just a short hop :haw:

They also had a fold out of all current USAF aircraft flying together. On the opposite side is all the then-current USN carrier aircraft on one carrier deck.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Jesus, that is too many jets. How could we have paid for the development, production, and maintenance on all those different airframes?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That's an MD-11. I think World still might have some pax configured DC-10's and there are probably a few in the third world, but I can't think of any main lines still flying them. KLM and Finnair are two of the big MD-11 holdouts. FedEx is probably salivating at the idea of getting the rest of them.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I believe the MD11 is going away now that KLM are getting their 330s.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

MrYenko posted:

That's an MD-11. I think World still might have some pax configured DC-10's and there are probably a few in the third world, but I can't think of any main lines still flying them. KLM and Finnair are two of the big MD-11 holdouts. FedEx is probably salivating at the idea of getting the rest of them.
Finnair gave up a while ago. KLM (and World?) are the last ones hauling passengers with MD11s. The first ones of KLM have already gone to the scrapper, I heard they will all be gone by next year.

I can see at least one of them everyday, parked by the highway as a reserve aircraft for something more efficient (777 or A330) that is actually carrying its passengers and cargo nowadays. I was lucky enough to fly the sim one friday evening (one week after the FedEx Tokyo crash), and flew the old Hong Kong approach with it a couple of times. Happy days.... you know, she's actually not a bad ship from a systems point of view, easy to operate with lots of things going on automatically, just relatively poorly conceived aerodynamically and structure-wise.

Still, I think it's sad to see them go... before long, all that will be left in our national fleet are twins in different sizes.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

On the opposite side is all the then-current USN carrier aircraft on one carrier deck.

bigger

Also,

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Watched it live (at work so it's slightly less sad and vaguely work related, we had it on the big monitor). That video is much better than the awkward "news" style panel discussion Airbus was doing during the event.
I like the raccoon mask over the windshields. I wish AC was getting a350s but we're going all boeing for wide bodies so that's pretty unlikely.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nice. My skillz with ifranview are still a little basic; I couldn't figure out how to create the seamless image from three parts.

Also: re: blind airplane: so crazy it just might work?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, there are two schools of thought on aircraft stability: Every other pilot and engineer in the world says you need it; that one guy who drew the picture says you don't...

and while you're at it, propeller driven aircraft with a thrust-to-weight ratio > 1 don't have propellers that are that small, they have helicopter rotors

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 14, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So what would it look like if the RAF got the fighter they wanted instead of the F-35?

Or if California decided to get real aggressive about ending high-speed chases?

This guy has nineteen pages of drawings of real and fictional aircraft in different paint schemes. I thought it was pretty cool.
http://ws-clave.deviantart.com/gallery/6112394

Edit:

:canada:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nice. My skillz with ifranview are still a little basic; I couldn't figure out how to create the seamless image from three parts.

It's essentially the 'fan wing' concept, and yes, it works, incredibly STOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJqvrikQSA#t=2m30

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bull puckey, there's no false canopy on the bottom :colbert:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I used MS paint.

bigger

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Every year people bitch and complain that we should get these, or those canadian seaplanes, or the Evergreen 747 over into Australia to fight bushfires, but fail to remember that we have zero infrastructure to actually support them- Airports near fires cant handle the big jets like the DC10's or 747, the terrain we fight fires in isnt really big plane friendly and we have no lakes or reservoirs big enough for the seaplanes to work off.

Instead we use little Air Tractor 802's and put pilots with brass balls the size of the moon in them so they can do stupid poo poo like this

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As I was waiting for my ride at Reading last Saturday, my buddy & I puzzled over this hangar queen. It looks like the predecessor to the Viking, and is Grummanesque, but we couldn't identify it.

There is a radar pod on the port tip, and a big fuckall searchlight on the starboard.

VVV drat, that was fast. I didn't know the Neptune had JATO. Thanks VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 15, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Lockheed.

Pre-Orion.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Holy cannoli. How much can those li'l things hold?

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Couple photos of nice WWII aircraft color photos I snagged from here:

http://life.time.com/history/wwii-before-and-after-d-day-color-photos-from-england-and-france-1944/?iid=obinsite#1

P-47

P-38

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrYenko posted:

World still has a few passenger MD-11s for military charters, but they retired their DC-10s. Biman Bangladesh might still be flying one or two though, that's probably who you're thinking of.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

just found this thread

Polymerized Cum posted:

Would anyone be interested in, like, a huge photobomb of stuff from my work?

We have an EC-135, a couple of BKs, some old BO 105's that are on their way out to pasture, as well as our Rockwell Commander turboprop and Citation for the long-distance stuff.

Please do this. Especially pics of the inside. I'm a doctor who's hoping to do some helicopter stuff in the future and would love to see your setup. Gone up in essex's MD902 and poked around a demo 429 before

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 15, 2013

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Holy cannoli. How much can those li'l things hold?

anywhere from 2500 to 3100L. From memory theres generally 6 based in Adelaide hills, 2 at Port Lincoln and 2 at Mt Gambier during the fire season.

During the winter they use them for crop dusting!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I havent seen the KLM MD11 in Vancouver in a while, makes me sad. DC10 was my favorite airliner.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Sky Bahamas destroys another perfectly good airplane.

That plane was just up here a couple of weeks ago for an engine swap. Rest in pieces, 340B-316. :(

They broke another one a few years ago when the chief pilot forgot to check the position of his gear handle before he started up.

Oops. That was a loving great airframe too, very well maintained before SB took possession of it.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

I have a picture of the one with the broken wing I took on the ramp here a couple weeks ago. I saw that plane every day here in FLL.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Had that 747 tanker do a demo drop about a mile or so from us a few years back.. and then land on our piddly-rear end barely 5500' runway to top it off. Didn't even use it all.

:black101: as gently caress.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Acid Reflux posted:

They broke another one a few years ago when the chief pilot forgot to check the position of his gear handle before he started up.

Due 340s not have WOW switches?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Not with any kind of safety interlock, astoundingly. If the handle is up and the pins are out, the gear *will* fold when hydraulics come on. One of many design decisions that still causes me, even after six years of working on them, to say "Why would anyone do that?!?" at least once a day.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Holy loving poo poo, do I hate Air China.

Wife was supposed to fly from Changchun->Beijing->Vancouver->Toronto->Sudbury. I show up in Sudbury to pick her up and no wife. Seems that the plane was delayed coming in to Beijing and there was no way to make her Vancouver flight. So the airline decided to give her the same ticket, for the next friday (because that's the only time I can pick her up). They told her it was the exact same flights, and her old printed eticket would work as the reference number would be forwarded when typed in.

She shows up for her flight the next friday (14th June) and the lady at the desk says she has to show up at least an hour ahead of her flight. She tells the lady at the desk she is 3 hours early, and the lady informs her it's leaving in 55 minutes. They didn't book the exact same flights, and didn't tell her the times had changed. Naturally they took no responsibility, conveniently forgot everything they told her, and said it was her responsibility to confirm tickets (partly true). So for the past 4 days I have been trying to get the credit I have from that missed flight put towards a new one, but the customer support in the LA office is just full of the daughters of wealthy Chinese Nationals who want an excuse to live in the US without having to go to school. All they do is say they will check, hang up, and never call back. When asked for their names so I can keep talking to the same rep, there is a pause (can hear them thinking) and then they give me a fake name. How do I know it's fake, because when I call back and ask for their name, they tell me that nobody with that name works there, or that they are sick that day and not in the office. When I try and get transfered to a supervisor they say, "hold please" and just ignore the line until I hang up. I think they might hire from the same pool as Bell Canada.

Next time I will avoid them like the plague, even if I have to spend an extra $200 to fly Air Canada or another carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPzRPga6uDg
probably better on mute, but amazing