Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spyros
Apr 28, 2013

zari-gani posted:

Donations closed!

Aw, too bad. I would have liked to once more let Arino know he's been cheered on from Greece. I now wish I had thought of setting up Internet access to my bank account, though I would only have used it for this, anyway.

I would also like to take the opportunity to say a big "Thank you" to all members of the translation project. When I stumbled upon Game Center CX in TV Nihon all those years ago and eagerly waited months for a new episode of that obscure yet wonderful show, I never expected such an amazing outcome. Thanks for all your hard work, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Spyros posted:

Aw, too bad. I would have liked to once more let Arino know he's been cheered on from Greece. I now wish I had thought of setting up Internet access to my bank account, though I would only have used it for this, anyway.

There's still some allowance if you want to donate 5 bucks or something! The more countries represented, the better. Unless it'll be too much of a hassle for you.

ETA: There's also room for one more flag on the sign if any of you are from a country not yet listed and want to pitch in like, a buck.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 17, 2013

Spyros
Apr 28, 2013
That's great news! In that case, I intend to visit the bank today. Hopefully processing my request will not take too long.

Vamino
Oct 21, 2012

Maybe it's naive of me, but did anyone expect to get this much money together so quickly? I really hope we end up seeing/hearing some mention of it. That'd be fantastic.

Thanks again for putting this together, Zari-gani.

And I guess thanks to Ray for getting me into this oh so many years ago on the 1up Show?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

Countries represented: US, Canada, Scotland, Finland, Australia, Britain, Trinidad, New Zealand
Trinidad but not Tobago?

Tobago will be filing an official letter of grievance with the UN Council on Retro Games. :colbert:

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Also if you're listing Scotland as a separate country, Britain should be England. Or you could combine the two into UK but I wouldn't want an angry Scotsman to punch me very hard in the face.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Vamino posted:

Maybe it's naive of me, but did anyone expect to get this much money together so quickly? I really hope we end up seeing/hearing some mention of it. That'd be fantastic.

Well, I sorta thought that everyone in this thread is batshit crazy and Z-G would end up returning 90% of the money since everyone would've sent it too fast for her to say stop.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PkerUNO posted:

Also if you're listing Scotland as a separate country, Britain should be England. Or you could combine the two into UK but I wouldn't want an angry Scotsman to punch me very hard in the face.

Maybe zari-gani is counting on the Scottish separatist movement to be successful before November. :scotland:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Vamino posted:

Maybe it's naive of me, but did anyone expect to get this much money together so quickly?

I definitely didn't. I thought maybe we'd get around $250 at most, but people were throwing in a hefty amount of money. If anyone missed out on donating, save your money and buy the official soundtrack to support the show!

makere posted:

Well, I sorta thought that everyone in this thread is batshit crazy and Z-G would end up returning 90% of the money since everyone would've sent it too fast for her to say stop.

It helped that I kept my Paypal address private and had everyone state how much they intend to donate before doing so; that way I could control the flow of money.

I can't accept any more though. Thanks to everyone who chipped in!
The total was $751.50, which my bank converts as 67,653.94 yen. The arrangement cost 68,250 yen.

vvv It's 'cause a few people put in $100, and most people put in $20-$30.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 17, 2013

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
It's kind of impressive how quickly that was taken care of, considering how much time there is until the event actually happens.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Well I guess we know now that if Gascoin staff ever want in on this thread directly they've got free accounts waiting for them pretty much.

Lik
Apr 8, 2013

Kachou ON!

zari-gani posted:

I definitely didn't. I thought maybe we'd get around $250 at most, but people were throwing in a hefty amount of money. If anyone missed out on donating, save your money and buy the official soundtrack to support the show!

It helped that I kept my Paypal address private and had everyone state how much they intend to donate before doing so; that way I could control the flow of money.

I can't accept any more though. Thanks to everyone who chipped in!
The total was $751.50, which my bank converts as 67,653.94 yen. The arrangement cost 68,250 yen.

vvv It's 'cause a few people put in $100, and most people put in $20-$30.

I missed it but I'll buy the OST. Awesome idea guys.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oops, didn't have a chance to put money in until now and I see that it's closed even though I pledged some. Sorry, guys! Ah, well. Another time, I guess.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

xamphear posted:

Tobago will be filing an official letter of grievance with the UN Council on Retro Games. :colbert:

That made me laugh harder than it probably should have

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
Dangit, I just got paid and wanted to contribute a couple of bucks.

My smile and optimism: gone.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Friend of mine has been linking some awesome Arino pics, and this one has got my attention.

Which episode is this one from?

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I believe it's from Episode 43, S.O.S

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've also made some screenies of the best one-liners. Or rather, Arino's gems of wisdom. Like: "I'm just one guy with a moustache".

The one where he is reviewing the 3DO and says "If I wanted to watch a movie, I would go to the movies." I have used a few times when describing my feelings towards these modern games to a friend.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 19, 2013

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I'm in Tokyo and really want to get some GCCX stuff. Was thinking of DVDs, any recommendations which set is good? Or recommendations for any other stuff and where to get it would be great. Also, what is that squid-on-a-stick thing called that he eats all the time? Sorry for all the questions, but my Internet time is very limited so I can't readily search for all this. I'd really appreciate any help or tips!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
It is official. Donkey Kong Country is going to be a 2 part episode. Will Arino clear DKC2 on the next episode?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Got the QR machine in Animal Crossing, so finally I can be the man himself!

Still looking for proper pants though

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Bolverkur posted:

I'm in Tokyo and really want to get some GCCX stuff. Was thinking of DVDs, any recommendations which set is good? Or recommendations for any other stuff and where to get it would be great. Also, what is that squid-on-a-stick thing called that he eats all the time? Sorry for all the questions, but my Internet time is very limited so I can't readily search for all this. I'd really appreciate any help or tips!

The stuff Arino always eats is 串刺しイカ (kushizashi ika -- "Skewered Squid").

As far as what DVD box to get, it depends on what you're into. The first one has SMB 2/3, Mystery of Atlantis, Ghosts 'n Goblins and Prince of Persia (amongst others). The second one has SMW, Adventure Island, Takeshi's Challenge, Solomon's Key and Mega Man 2. Third one has Ninja Gaiden, Ghouls and Ghosts, Quiz Feudal Lord's Ambition, Contra, and Milon's Secret Castle. Out of those, I would personally get the third one.

It goes on forever. If you can read any Japanese, give this a quick look: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%82%BB%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BCCX#DVD-BOX

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Here's the Animal Crossing shirt I made!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

I don't have a particular set to recommend other than to not get the first set. If you get the most recent, Box Set 9, you're more likely to get the first run bonus items (the calendar and the 10th anniversary sticker) but those are probably already gone. The 24 hour challenge set and the USA set have music CD's with them though the CD only has one song on it.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I really hope someone makes the Happi that the ADs use during the gccx events and TGS. It would be cool to wear in AC

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

It is official. Donkey Kong Country is going to be a 2 part episode. Will Arino clear DKC2 on the next episode?

Has there ever been a two-parter that ended in a failed challenge? I can't remember any.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Brother Entropy posted:

Has there ever been a two-parter that ended in a failed challenge? I can't remember any.

Don't think so, no.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

bpc908 posted:

I really hope someone makes the Happi that the ADs use during the gccx events and TGS. It would be cool to wear in AC

Created on-demand!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
GCCX #162 Donkey Kong Country Part 1 Raw is up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdWRyOwmhyU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

Yes. Someone asked this question a while back and it was said to have happened in an untranslated challenge, I don't remember which though.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

joek0 posted:

GCCX #162 Donkey Kong Country Part 1 Raw is up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdWRyOwmhyU
Is it sad that as I watch this, I start to realize that I don't remember a lot of DKC2? I remember my brothers and I used to play it a lot, but I only remember a few things from back then and a lot of the stuff in this episode actually feels new to me. :smith:

To be fair, I was never a big fan of the DKC games outside of Returns on the Wii (which was a great game despite the waggle to roll gimmick, which I really didn't mind that much and got used to pretty quickly), so maybe I didn't play it as much as I thought. :confused:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Obeast posted:

Is it sad that as I watch this, I start to realize that I don't remember a lot of DKC2? I remember my brothers and I used to play it a lot, but I only remember a few things from back then and a lot of the stuff in this episode actually feels new to me. :smith:

I'm the exact opposite. Even though it had been years since I played it last, when I played multiplayer with a friend of mine a year back or so I could still remember the locations of practically all of the bonuses and DK coins in the game. I even remembered most of the more obscure stuff such as which walls you could walk/swim through. It was one of the relatively few SNES games I owned as a kid and I played it quite a few times trying to find everything.

Hands down my favorite SNES game and I'm definitely looking forward to the episode.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have never even played DKC2 more than a few levels. It'll probably be another one of those games where I pick it up to compare how I do against Arino. Super Famicom version isn't too costly either.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh my god. Donkey Kong Country 2 is my favorite Super Nintendo game, and in the running for my favorite game of all. I'm so happy Arino is doing this. Can't wait to see it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No loving way he clears it. That game is brutal.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
I got about halfway through watching Arino play the first area before realizing I need to beat DKC2 again and find out how many kremkoin/DK coin locations I remember before watching the rest of the episode. I never did beat the Lost World as a kid. :(

versus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 21, 2013

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

AzraelDarkheart posted:

The stuff Arino always eats is 串刺しイカ (kushizashi ika -- "Skewered Squid").

Random Stranger posted:

I don't have a particular set to recommend other than to not get the first set. If you get the most recent, Box Set 9, you're more likely to get the first run bonus items (the calendar and the 10th anniversary sticker) but those are probably already gone.

Thank you so much for the help, it is greatly appreciated! Both F-Zero and Ghosts and Ghouls are favorites so it's a tough choice! But the Battletoad one is with F-Zero I think so that might be the way to go. Or just the USA dvd for the little bit of English it has (plus how fun it is).

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Can't understand Japanese so I watched the first stage then skipped to the end to see him stuck on a minecart style stage 14 hours later, somehow not surprised. :v:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Are the other untranslated RAW epidodes still up somewhere? I tried searching for Metro-Cross but the YouTube link from this topic was down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

For anyone who's interested in attending "GCCX in Budoukan," all the ticket info's here:
http://www.shochikugeino.co.jp/topics/2013/06/gccx-20131105.html
Google Translate version. "Super Ally sheet stacking" = Super Arino Seat

The florist kindly scanned a proper receipt for me as further proof of purchase. I haven't begun the custom tag yet but I have five months to work on that.

Azazell0 posted:

Are the other untranslated RAW epidodes still up somewhere? I tried searching for Metro-Cross but the YouTube link from this topic was down.

Youtube user GameCenter924 is uploading raws.