Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

14 looks... okay. Been playing the BETA. Can we BETA talk in here or is there a better thread?

Cause I sure as hell have some questions. :P

There's a thread about the game in the MMO HMO subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I am irrationally irritated that XV will break the tradition of three installments per generation.:reject:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
XIV is for dweebs and doesn't count and XIII is a trilogy. Everyone wins!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

They made the XIII cutscenes way before the actual game?

They're sort of made side by side, but you get into situations where you want to change something in game but your super expensive cutscene is halfway through production so you can't change too much.

Think about it:

Your team kills Cid, then goes to Pulse. Later on there's a cutscene where you go back to Pulse, Cid is alive, then he dies again like 5 minutes later in an in-engine cutscene (cheaper than FMV).

FF13's production was notorious for having too many aspects going on at once that barely communicated, they've done a lot of post-mortem talks on it and it's basically become a case study on how important project management is for large projects.

So you'd have the level design guys making a straight line you rush through while fighting enemies, but the art team made these awesome looking detailed areas for you to run around that are 90% ignored because of gameplay decisions. Stuff like that. You'd have pre-rendered FMVs that look awesome but didn't mesh with the story around them at all. You'd have characters dropping in and out with no explanation. Basically every time you thought "why the gently caress did they do it this way" that's why.

I wish they'd do like, a detailed book that is completely honest about where they hosed up.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

fronz posted:

XIV is for dweebs and doesn't count and XIII is a trilogy. Everyone wins!

Works with the PS2 as well, if you count X, X-2 and XII.

:goonsay:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wish they'd do like, a detailed book that is completely honest about where they hosed up.

Final Fantasy XIII sold well, since it was the first HD Final Fantasy title. I'm sure it left a bad enough taste in the new players that it brought in that a lot of people never completed it or bought the sequel. However, it sounded like the damage XIV did was even worse, both for Final Fantasy's reputation, and for SE's finances.

At the very least, I hope that SE learns a few things from this generation. Don't announce games too early, get a story set in stone before making terribly expensive cutscenes, don't let Toriyama make a game, don't translate dialogue too literally, don't release an MMO halfway finished and charge customers for it, don't let Toriyama make a game, don't design an engine that can barely handle anything more complex than three characters in a corridor without stuttering, then have to start again with a brand new engine, don't let Toriyama make a game, and don't pander to your audience by selling sexy swimwear for your characters.

Just fire Toriyama. Even if Nomura is the last person they have left from Square's old days, at least he's made some pretty amazing things when he puts the effort into it.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 16, 2013

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Really they should just ban Toriyama from the premises.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Is it weird that I think the ingame cutscenes looked better than the oh so expensive ones they were obligated to use? I would've actually preferred the entire game just be those.

Except for the one where they gently caress up those guys' race. That may stay.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

"Okay, just take the old one but make this guy much smugger. No, more."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Are the bottom ones the new renders? Because they look worse to me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

1st AD posted:

There have been a lot of changes since the last trailer from 2011, especially in the character design.

http://www.finalfantasy-fxn.net/boards/showthread.php?13440-For-better-or-for-worse-Character-Redesigns!

Neku

Travis Touchdown

Cloud

Namine

It's really cool to see Final Fantasy characters with realistic skin, compared to the flawless porcelain faces from the previous games. The woman in the last image shows her in-game model when it was still on the PS3, and she's definitely got a bit of the uncanny valley going on.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

There have been a lot of changes since the last trailer from 2011, especially in the character design.
Cloud

Reminds me of Tilda Swinton. I actually thought it was a photo in the thumbnail. Goddamn. :aaa:

That loving Sned posted:

Namine

The woman in the last image shows her in-game model when it was still on the PS3, and she's definitely got a bit of the uncanny valley going on.

Yeah, she's not coming out of that valley anytime soon. With, or without, more realistic skin textures. It's jarring to see those dudes, and then suddenly back to anime central.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I can see every pore on those faces. Swords and bullets better come out of those.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
The woman was actually the only one that was really obviously CG. The three dudes all look pretty insanely realistic, albeit the blond guy looks like has a wig on.

Also, they are now Neku, Travis and Cloud forever.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

WeaponBoy posted:

The woman was actually the only one that was really obviously CG. The three dudes all look pretty insanely realistic, albeit the blond guy looks like has a wig on.

Also, they are now Neku, Travis and Cloud forever.

Cloud and Neku both look like they've got wigs on but Travis looks like he's the world's number one consumer of triple strength hair cement.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Looks like Namine got a nose job. Can't blame her, probably had nothing better to do during these past 7 years.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Dauntasa posted:

Cloud and Neku both look like they've got wigs on but Travis looks like he's the world's number one consumer of triple strength hair cement.

I've seen more absurd hair on people. Almost exclusively in fashion shots coming from hair dressers who charge 200+ for a haircut, but still, the hair at least looks natural. There is something decidedly alien about Clouds hair.

Also, I'm sure it will totally break the illusion in motion. Hair and boobs, the two things CG will never model movement for realistically. Especially not in Japan.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

1st AD posted:

They're definitely higher quality than the previous trailers. They upped the polygon count quite massively on all characters.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Krad posted:

Looks like Namine got a nose job. Can't blame her, probably had nothing better to do during these past 7 years.

They should have just made it bigger.

Honestly, nothing brings a supermodel-perfect character back down to earth more effectively than an imperfect nose.

Also: Makes them seem much less generic. Like she is.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I think my problem with Stella is that her eyes are just a wee bit too big. It's just verging towards in an anime in a way that it seems like they're trying to avoid with the other characters.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The big eyes make me think of Leanne from Resonance of Fate. You can even change her eye color to blue if you want.
I just gave her aviator sun glasses which made her look much more natural :v:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Level Slide posted:

I can see every pore on those faces. Swords and bullets better come out of those.

One of them even has freckles. Freckles. Additional detail that we rarely see. It's kinda cool.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Have they said whether or not X/X-2 HD will be using the International versions of the games or not? Because I will buy those games in a second if they are.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kthegreat posted:

Have they said whether or not X/X-2 HD will be using the International versions of the games or not? Because I will buy those games in a second if they are.

They certainly are.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm getting tired of them trying to stretch their stories out into multi-game epics. I know it's probably a business decision, but I have zero faith in their ability to make a decent trilogy at this point.

Yeah, me too. I'd rather not have a yearly (or bi-yearly) FF release than sequels. X-2 and XIII-2 were just a bit of fun, that's okay, but it's continuing a precedent they really started with XIII that is really starting to poo poo me.

I mean, in the past if I didn't like a certain FF I could be certain at least there'd be something very different in the next installment. Now it seems like they're almost going for one game a generation with multiple sequels, and that doesn't sit well.

Still, fingers crossed and all that.

Since I'm all sooky about future installments and it's a bit more on current topic, I might as well ask - is there a set date for the FFX HD re-release yet, or is it just '2013'? I upgraded my TV recently and I honestly want it more than just about any other game that's meant to be out in the near future.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Kitase just came out and said that if the HD re-releases do well, that they'll do XII. Not that I'm excited for that abysmal title getting remastered or anything, but some people do like it.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 17, 2013

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
it's really, really funny to see Azure_Horizon calling a game abysmal

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azure_Horizon posted:

Kitase just came out and said that if the HD re-releases do well, that they'll do XII. Not that I'm excited for that abysmal title getting remastered or anything, but some people do like it.
If they do re-release 12, I hope they still have the master audio somewhere so they can use that instead of whatever compressed garbage they used for the ps2.

And I totally agree with you on 12. Game was mediocre at best. I don't see why people love it so much when it basically played itself with gambits.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 17, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And I totally agree with you on 12. I don't see why people love it so much when it basically played itself with gambits.

The US release didn't because you had to wait for ever to actually get the gambits. What sort of brain-dead logic is it when the whole game is built around optimizing your party's subroutines that you can't actually have them for most of the game?

I agree though, I find FFXII really boring because the game just feels slow as though it desperately is in want of a 5x speed button. Winning a bossfight outside of a few examples was an issue of preperation rather than micromanagement so there wasn't a reason for bosses to drag on as long as they did.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Eh, I don't really buy that. The Gambit system was great for a lot of stuff, but I still had to do a lot of micromanagement even once I had most of the gambits (US version). Sure, you could auto-pilot through a lot of the game, but that's true of every single FF game. Fight starts > mast Attack > proceed.

I liked the combat system in most cases, especially against the more insane bosses where you had to come up with weird strategies (and executing them was not a matter of going AFK with Gambits set, that's bullshit), I still have fond...ish memories of fighting Yiazmat. My biggest complaint with that whole game is how Decoy was a debuff so it only had a chance to apply which meant that your whole strategy could fall apart because the tank would spend 45 seconds recasting over and over.

I just see the combat in FF12 as an inversion of the combat in FF13 with Gambits vs. Paradigms.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If they do re-release 12, I hope they still have the master audio somewhere so they can use that instead of whatever compressed garbage they used for the ps2.

If they don't, maybe they can add helmets to every character, call it a new feature and hope no one notices. :downs:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

Eh, I don't really buy that. The Gambit system was great for a lot of stuff, but I still had to do a lot of micromanagement even once I had most of the gambits (US version). Sure, you could auto-pilot through a lot of the game, but that's true of every single FF game. Fight starts > mast Attack > proceed.

I liked the combat system in most cases, especially against the more insane bosses where you had to come up with weird strategies (and executing them was not a matter of going AFK with Gambits set, that's bullshit)

In my experience every story-line bossfight worked roughly the same way; set up your optimal gambit scenario, fight the boss, learn whatever unique bullshit trick they threw out and micromanage to solve it and hope to win. If you win, hooray, move on and if you lose you go back and retool your gambits to solve that problem. Its not leave the room but it definitely didn't require much input outside of a bosses particular gimmick.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

Kitase just came out and said that if the HD re-releases do well, that they'll do XII.

Oh hell yes. Getting on this before either FFX.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Azure_Horizon posted:

oh my god it'll be IZJS and have the original audio

...A MAN CAN DREAM, DAMMIT

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Remake IX in HD you dicks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

I liked the combat system in most cases, especially against the more insane bosses where you had to come up with weird strategies (and executing them was not a matter of going AFK with Gambits set, that's bullshit), I still have fond...ish memories of fighting Yiazmat. My biggest complaint with that whole game is how Decoy was a debuff so it only had a chance to apply which meant that your whole strategy could fall apart because the tank would spend 45 seconds recasting over and over.

I just see the combat in FF12 as an inversion of the combat in FF13 with Gambits vs. Paradigms.

That wasn't my experience. Once I set up good Gambits I barely needed to touch them except if I reconfigured them to automate a gimmick boss. People complainted about FFXIII having an "Auto-fight" Button but it was infinitely more interactive than FFXII was.

I love FFXII's worldsetting and such but the gameplay was just me watching my optimized gambit setup walk over enemies for 80% of the game. The other 20% was mostly "I didn't unlock the appropriate Gambit yet" or a rare few superbosses. Something like Xenoblades has a combat system like FFXII's but infinitely more fun and interactive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 17, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Remake IX in HD you dicks.

Nah they're only doing the good games.

Seriously though, isn't it because it has pre-rendered backgrounds and they lost like all the art assets?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Okay, I know FF6 is just a bit of a sacred cow, but man, it is a really decent game that has a lot of bad and dumb things happen, at least at the onset. The first 3 hours of the game so far have just been weirdly void of any meaning.

I've only played it once and I got to the world of ruin and a buddy started playing when I stopped and basically finished the game, and this was 10+ years ago.

But so far all the characters have done is bounce around from one place to the next, we've already revisited areas a couple times, and Sabin & Cyan's Wacky Ghost Train Adventure has been the dumbest thing ever. So after the 2spooky ghost train lets us off at a random stop because "Ok, you beat on my iron frame enough, ye bastards", the brilliant duo decides the best way to get down a mountain is to jump into a six mile deep waterfall and hope for the best.

I know I'll stick around and have a blast for the gooey RPG goodness that this game has, because it does have tons of it, but everything around it is just not great, haha.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

Nah they're only doing the good games.

Seriously though, isn't it because it has pre-rendered backgrounds and they lost like all the art assets?

I don't care, they aren't making anything more interesting than the PSX three and they've been remaking everything else ad nauseum.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

That wasn't my experience. Once I set up good Gambits I barely needed to touch them except if I reconfigured them to automate a gimmick boss. People complainted about FFXIII having an "Auto-fight" Button but it was infinitely more interactive than FFXII was.

I love FFXII's worldsetting and such but the gameplay was just me watching my optimized gambit setup walk over enemies for 80% of the game. The other 20% was mostly "I didn't unlock the appropriate Gambit yet" or a rare few superbosses. Something like Xenoblades has a combat system like FFXII's but infinitely more fun and interactive.

Also no minigames. No, hunts do not count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also no minigames. No, hunts do not count.

I'M CAPTAIN BASCH ETC ETC