Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah and really, they've had your goal be pretty significantly different in each game. The first one was about collecting a very small and specific set of things to build Olimar's ship, and the second one expanded it into a vast array of junk collecting for cash. We've seen in the third game that the fruit actually gets converted into juice, which probably serves some gameplay purpose. I'm sure there will be plenty of room for the series' characteristic charm and creativity.

I just hope they bring back the Piklopedia.

Cannot Find Server posted:

This could also be applied to Pikmin 1 and 2. I've been really frustrated that Nintendo hasn't given this series enough love, did Pikmin 2 just sell poorly or what? Those are still two of my favorite games I've ever played, and it is really drat tempting to buy a Wii U just for Pikmin 3.

Yeah I totally agree. I'm actually buying a Wii U for Pikmin 3's release, and if it was the only game I wanted on the system I'd still be sorely tempted. Even if you've never played a Pikmin game before I think everyone should give 3 a shot and if you still have access to something that plays Gamecube games, hunt down at least Pikmin 2. They're really fantastic and Pikmin 2 is more accessible than the time limited Pikmin 1.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Pikmin 2 is easily in the top five games of its generation, and is The Best Gamecube Game. I feel like that game is going to eventually have the same reputation that Yoshi's Island has.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah and really, they've had your goal be pretty significantly different in each game. The first one was about collecting a very small and specific set of things to build Olimar's ship, and the second one expanded it into a vast array of junk collecting for cash. We've seen in the third game that the fruit actually gets converted into juice, which probably serves some gameplay purpose. I'm sure there will be plenty of room for the series' characteristic charm and creativity.

I just hope they bring back the Piklopedia.

Yeah I totally agree. I'm actually buying a Wii U for Pikmin 3's release, and if it was the only game I wanted on the system I'd still be sorely tempted. Even if you've never played a Pikmin game before I think everyone should give 3 a shot and if you still have access to something that plays Gamecube games, hunt down at least Pikmin 2. They're really fantastic and Pikmin 2 is more accessible than the time limited Pikmin 1.

This makes me wish Pikmin 1 was still available along with 2 in the Wii control series. Kinda annoying I can still buy a copy of 2 new this way for 20 bucks but for 1, it's fifty loving dollars for a like new copy. Ugh.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I totally forgot they made a Wii version of Pikmin 2. Geez then there's no excuse, if you own a Wii U you should play this game.

TMDTN
Oct 10, 2005
This Mixed Drink Tastes Nasty...

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Angry Birds have commercials dedicated to pistachios; where are the Waluigi commercials to anything? :colbert:
Where's the Angry Bird song? Yeah thought so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9oVqRjUvqA

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Strange Matter posted:

Pikmin 2 is easily in the top five games of its generation, and is The Best Gamecube Game. I feel like that game is going to eventually have the same reputation that Yoshi's Island has.

Game that nobody brought but pretentious nerds can't stop hyping up regardless of if they've actually played it? To be honest I think it already sort of does have that reputation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cliff Racer posted:

Game that nobody brought but pretentious nerds can't stop hyping up regardless of if they've actually played it? To be honest I think it already sort of does have that reputation.

Nobody played Yoshi's Island? I didn't realize that 4 million people were nobody. Huh.

Pikmin 2 sold over a million copies as well. Yep, nobody played either of those games, you figured it out.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Cliff Racer posted:

Yoshi's Island sold like four million copies, how are they at all comparable?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Nobody played Yoshi's Island? I didn't realize that 4 million people were nobody. Huh.

Pikmin 2 sold over a million copies as well. Yep, nobody played either of those games, you figured it out.

If it doesn't make Call of Duty numbers, it's obscure. And that's why the next Dead Rising game is going to be the best Dead Rising yet!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Prior to Yoshi's Island every "main" Super Mario game had sold at least 10 million. The only other compatible (but still better) selling mainline Marios sales-wise were Sunshine and Galaxy 2. Oh, and 3DLand after one year if you count that.
Pikmin sold slightly over a million copies (not counting Pikmin 2 or the Wii versions, which I haven't looked up) which is pretty poor considering its a Miyamoto title that got shipped at system launch.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 17, 2013

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I still can't understand anyone calling Mario anything obscure. This is a silly conversation.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Trip report from OK best buy.

They did have the swag on the Saturday event. So I guess they were just saving it for the higher turnout. I was there for almost the whole vent, and the line was pretty impressive. I arrived at 12:30 and did not get to play until 4pm. But I did fill my 3ds plaza with a ton of new Mii's and collected a ton of puzzle pieces.

There was a guy in line that was offering $15 for people's coins. I'm surprised several people took him up on the offer. We got a hat and a flag (I got the hat, wife got the flag).

There were a lot of complaints about mario kart being motion control only. When it came to my turn, I noticed that there was a control icon on the gamepad. If you touched it, mario kart turned into traditional control. Not sure if there was a way to change it for the wii mote user though.

Mario kart was kind of amazing graphically speaking. It was very clean and crisp through the whole play time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Whoa whoa what is this consensus that seems to be forming about Pikmin 2 being better than Pikmin 1 ?? Pikmin 2 is a fun little romp but Pikmin 1 is just an all-around better experience, I feel. The overbearing sense of isolation, time management and the sense of a job well done when the last planned piece for the day is delivered just before sundown, the overall feel of how important each piece was to aquire... Pikmin 2 was just too forgiving and lax, especially the dungeons that stopped time as well. Plus the overabundance of treasures meant coming across one didn't have the same punch as the ship parts.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Detective No. 27 posted:

I still can't understand anyone calling Mario anything obscure. This is a silly conversation.

I Am a Teacher: Super Mario Sweater and Mario Bomb's Away probably fit that description but I know what you mean.

Or this Japanese mouse title which I totally would have bought in the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tTuQvkKui4

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Saw this yesterday during the Confederations Cup, seemed appropriate to calling Mario obscure.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

nippon nifties posted:

Whoa whoa what is this consensus that seems to be forming about Pikmin 2 being better than Pikmin 1 ?? Pikmin 2 is a fun little romp but Pikmin 1 is just an all-around better experience, I feel. The overbearing sense of isolation, time management and the sense of a job well done when the last planned piece for the day is delivered just before sundown, the overall feel of how important each piece was to aquire... Pikmin 2 was just too forgiving and lax, especially the dungeons that stopped time as well. Plus the overabundance of treasures meant coming across one didn't have the same punch as the ship parts.

They're just differently motivated games. Pikmin 1 is an adventure with a sense of urgency yes, but Pikmin 2 is a fun relaxed explorational adventure starring an amateur scientist, his food obsessed co-worker, their greedy corporate executive boss, and a dumb robot. Pikmin 2 is also so much meatier.

As for why I only recommend 2, Pikmin 1 turns a lot of people off with it's 30 day limit. Admittedly, the limit isn't actually that constricting, but I think the game just works better when you can do whatever you want at your own pace.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Prior to Yoshi's Island every "main" Super Mario game had sold at least 10 million. The only other compatible (but still better) selling mainline Marios sales-wise were Sunshine and Galaxy 2. Oh, and 3DLand after one year if you count that.
Pikmin sold slightly over a million copies (not counting Pikmin 2 or the Wii versions, which I haven't looked up) which is pretty poor considering its a Miyamoto title that got shipped at system launch.

And yet four million copies is still really far from being a game "no one bought". It was immensely popular.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nickoten posted:

And yet four million copies is still really far from being a game "no one bought". It was immensely popular.

Four million copies in 1995 with Super Mario 64 being released less than a year later on a new console.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Four million copies in 1995 with Super Mario 64 being released less than a year later on a new console.

Now you're just confusing popular with total loving paradigm shift. SM64 is The Jazz Singer of video games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do the Wii versions of Pikmin 1 and 2 support the classic controller or am I going to have to get a nunchuk?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Hideki Kamiya had to set people straight. Again. Here's the tweets in paragraph form:

Kamiya posted:

REPEAT: We are a developer. Nintendo are the ones kind enough to fund and publish our W101 and Bayo 2 projects. So if Nintendo says “We are publishing Bayo 2 on PS3/360.” Then it will happen. So please go ask them, not us. It's supposed to mean what it says. If you want a PS3 version ask Nintendo. You might also want to ask for PS3 Zelda

So yeah, this isn't like with the Ninja Gaiden game. Nintendo owns full distribution rights as they helped fund both games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This is one of the reasons behind not finishing/releasing StarFox 2 (although it later sorta became the template for the DS version generations later).

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Now you're just confusing popular with total loving paradigm shift. SM64 is The Jazz Singer of video games.

I think he was implying that it was even more impressive due to the time it was released.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Apparently that confirmation of CoD: Ghosts wasn't really a confirmation. Or something. I dunno.

Everything about the Wii U version has been confusing as hell.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-17-call-of-duty-ghosts-not-necessarily-wii-u-bound

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Apparently that confirmation of CoD: Ghosts wasn't really a confirmation. Or something. I dunno.

Everything about the Wii U version has been confusing as hell.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-17-call-of-duty-ghosts-not-necessarily-wii-u-bound

Yeah, that guy reminds me of that scene in Fight Club:

"Look at my face, I'm a member, I just need to know if you've seen Tyler!"
"I'm not supposed to... speak any such information to you... or would I, even if I had such information and wanted to at this juncture... or be able."
"...you're a moron."

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
There must be some benefit to constantly being mysterious about the existence of a port, but I can't imagine what it could possibly be. Didn't BLOPS 2 also take forever to get confirmed, or am I misremembering?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

njsykora posted:

It's an ehh game. Good for what it is (a fairly generic platformer) but nothing really that special. It's one major gimmick (moving into the foreground/background) really isn't enough to hold it up.

I thought Mutant Mudds was great when I got it for $.99 on the iOS App Store. It's not worth $10 though. I'd make an App Shopper account and set a price alert for it when it eventually drops in price again. It's been Free, .99, 2.99, and 4.99

http://appshopper.com/games/mutant-mudds

Unless you want to pay a premium for some extra levels and to play it on the gamepad I guess?

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Zeeman posted:

There must be some benefit to constantly being mysterious about the existence of a port, but I can't imagine what it could possibly be. Didn't BLOPS 2 also take forever to get confirmed, or am I misremembering?

It'll give them more of an excuse not to port the next game when no one knows Ghosts showed up one the Woo, maybe?

Seriously though, what's so drat hard about a straight yes or no?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

J Detan posted:

It'll give them more of an excuse not to port the next game when no one knows Ghosts showed up one the Woo, maybe?

Seriously though, what's so drat hard about a straight yes or no?

I'd even be happy with a straight "we don't know yet". At least it is clear and honest.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
This Ghosts game isn't a big deal for CoD is it? The hype for it seems... really small. I don't play Call of Duty but I couldn't escape the Black Ops II and Modern Warfare hype. This game seems to just... be there.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's not clear if Ghosts will be ported. Maybe the game really is a Ghost? :iiam:

It all seems like one massive internal miscommunication. I'm sure it'll go to the Wii U. COD:G Wii U was the literal first boxart spoiled for the game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This Ghosts game isn't a big deal for CoD is it? The hype for it seems... really small. I don't play Call of Duty but I couldn't escape the Black Ops II and Modern Warfare hype. This game seems to just... be there.

Look, I don't think you understand. Your new squadmate is a dog. You care for him. Don't you care about this dog?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Perhaps you haven't heard about the revolutionary new dog squad member and impressive school of fish AI?!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I hope I can pet my doggy with my stylus on the woo pad :kimchi:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It will be unless it bombs. Its being made by a new team (or one of the others is being given to a new team) so that CoD can have three groups of people working on updates simultaneously instead of just two. It is going from the "present" to the "near future" with an ever more retarded plot than MW typically has and its going to be the first one on next gen consoles so I imagine the hype will really ramp up later this year.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

I totally forgot they made a Wii version of Pikmin 2. Geez then there's no excuse, if you own a Wii U you should play this game.

Cripes, only took you three years to release it in America. :psyduck:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I'm way late, but I'm in love with NSMBU. I skipped all the DS/3DS games, so this is like the sequel to Super Mario World I've been waiting for. So loving good.

I'm loving the MiiVerse integration as well. Every time it prompts me to leave a message I toss a Dark Souls type message out there. "Try holding with both hands" "amazing chest ahead" etc.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

EC posted:

So I'm way late, but I'm in love with NSMBU. I skipped all the DS/3DS games, so this is like the sequel to Super Mario World I've been waiting for. So loving good.

I'm loving the MiiVerse integration as well. Every time it prompts me to leave a message I toss a Dark Souls type message out there. "Try holding with both hands" "amazing chest ahead" etc.

Just don't post about drinking, even in horrible handwriting they will somehow read the handwriting (my guess is its just an auto reply if too many people report your post). You will be banned from posting on the miiVerse until you re-read the terms and conditions and agree that you violated them (or you can contest it with another button). I have no idea how many strikes you get but don't swear, don't draw dicks, and don't talk about drinking (the only non-obvious one).

Seriously kids can see that poo poo and it shows up on the drat TV screen if you swear or draw dicks to the miiVerse you are exposing children to that and that is just hosed up. (outside of the promised private channels I guess, because hey its goons).

I'm really excited since the miiVersei integration for windwaker looks to be the same as NSMBu. I can't wait to attach screenshots of unrelated things and confuse the poo poo out of children (but not exposing them to the horrors of the internet that would be wrong)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I didn't say anything about doing any of that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

EC posted:

I didn't say anything about doing any of that stuff?

I was more commenting on don't mention drinking, it was pretty common to mention being drunk while playing New Super Mario when it came out and goons getting warnings on their accounts. I did it because the game was like post because you have died a lot! My reply was Oh god I'm too drunk to play this level.

Other goons well they can draw and don't realize what they were doing was more a friendly warning not to do it then anything else.

• Locked thread