Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I never expected her to have an actual good reason for it, but my god to have our intelligences insulted by this drivel on top of the financial injury is beyond the pale. It's just so galling the rapaciously greedy, grasping nature of these scumbags. And to try to hide behind "whoops I misunderstood!" just aaaaaargh pisses me off even more.

I'd be better with "it was an error in judgement, I overstepped badly and I am repaying it plus interest". It isn't like they could get fired for admitting they were scamming the system anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So the (interim) mayor of Montreal just got arrested by Quebec's anti-corruption squad.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

What a glorious way to start the week. UPAC doesn't mess around. The system works!?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

What now, Toronto? :smug:

Getting the old regime's number 2 to serve as interim mayor, especially Applebaum specifically (he's a turd), was always going to be fraught with risk. It's been clear he was getting investigated for corruption for 6 months or so.

Reminder: As of now, our credible candidates for mayor are:
Mélanie Joly, PR exec and organiser for JT's leadership campaign.
Marcel Côté, management consultant who said last year that the mafia was more democratic than student associations.
Richard Bergeron, left-wing urbanist and potential truther.
Denis Coderre, Denis Coderre.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is he?

Eh, he's still got my vote.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

9/11 and moon landing truther.

I really hope Projet will jettison him and someone else will take his place as mayoral candidate, but enh, I'll vote for him.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

9/11 and moon landing truther.

I really hope Projet will jettison him and someone else will take his place as mayoral candidate, but enh, I'll vote for him.
"farfelu(e)" is such a great word.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Hell yes. Let's clean up this loving city.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:getin:

Let's see how far this goes down the rabbit hole.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Applebaum is getting charged on 14 counts, including fraud, breach of trust, conspiracy, receiving kickbacks, and corruption.

The 2011 CPC candidate in Mount Royal also got arrested, 5 charges.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Holy crap. Sounds like they're throwing the book at him.

Can someone remind me what the 'tipping point' for this whole thing was? Like, it sounds like the corruption has been going on for some time now, at what point did they start hauling these assholes off?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Pinterest Mom posted:

The 2011 CPC candidate in Mount Royal also got arrested, 5 charges.

After losing the election, he also worked for James Moore as a "regional advisor" before resigning last year. Should make Question Period interesting as well.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Around 2008, a few journalists working for Radio-Canada, La Presse, and Le Devoir started seriously investigating the construction industry in Montréal and the suburbs, and they found Very Bad Things. The opposition, at first mostly the ADQ, started clamouring for a public inquiry into what looked like systemic corruption.

The government resisted for two years, and then created the Permanent Anti-Corruption Unit, a special police unit (with hundreds of employees) dedicated to rooting out corruption in public life. These guys are the ones who have been going around arresting people.

(The unit was meant to be an alternative to a public inquiry, something the government could point at and say "we couldn't possibly hold a public inquiry while there are police investigations going on." Six months later, they gave in to public pressure and help the inquiry anyway.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Maybe it's medieval of me but I can't help but feel corruption in public life is tantamount to treason and should receive the same penalties.

Shuffling public money into buying hookers? Don't you know there's a war on?!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Paul Krugman made an interesting blog post on Canada recently that included some alarming looking graphs.

quote:

Worthwhile Canadian Comparison

Paul Krugman
June 15, 2013, 8:12 am 96 Comments

I’m in Toronto, where I just received an honorary degree from the University of Toronto; and my thoughts have naturally turned, as they don’t do often enough, to matters Canadian. For it seems to me that Canada offers a useful test case for theories about what lies behind the Great Recession and the Not-So-Great Recovery.

In its early stages, the slump was widely seen as essentially a banking crisis. This view in turn led some people — unfortunately, I believe, including some senior people in the Obama administration — to believe that the economy would bounce back quickly once banking was stabilized. In fact, however, banking was stabilized pretty quickly, and most measures of financial disruption look like this:

That is, a period of severe disruption in 2008-9, but a return to relatively normal conditions thereafter. Yet the economy remained depressed. As a result, many economists — myself included — turned to a view that stressed nonbanking issues, especially the broader effects of the collapsed housing and the overhang of private debt.

Enter Canada. Famously, Canada’s old-fashioned, boring banking system avoided getting caught up in the global financial crisis. And for a while Canadian housing prices lagged those south of the border. Since then, however:

And Canadian household debt has kept rising even as the US level has declined:

So if the new, non-bank-centered view is right, Canada ought to be quite vulnerable to a big deleveraging shock despite its boring banks. Of course, people have been saying this for several years, and it hasn’t happened yet — but remember, the US housing bubble took a long time to pop, too.

I’m not exactly making a prediction here; but I guess I believe in the debt overhang story enough to be worried, and Canada is certainly an important test case.

Canadians are taking on record levels of debt and using it to fund their present level of consumption. Given that the private sector is mostly hoarding money and avoiding making major new investments, and given that virtually all levels of government are seeking to cut their budgets and reduce their long term deficits, debt financed household spending is the only thing propping up our already pathetic rate of economic growth.

If housing prices drop too low or go down too fast then Canadian households are gonna be left with debts they can't pay off, and the consumer spending that we're relying on to keep the economy propped up will collapse accordingly. This is not a pretty picture.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Zeeman posted:

After losing the election, he also worked for James Moore as a "regional advisor" before resigning last year. Should make Question Period interesting as well.

This is starting to get a lot of attention (on twitter anyways) in relation to the fact that this guy was the "shadow MP" that the Conservatives were using to try to constantly undermine Irwin Cotler last year. This might have the potential to blow up on the Conservatives in a big way, especially considering their lame attempt to make hay over that alleged Mulcair bribe attempt from 17 years ago.

Also here's Paul Wells going nuclear on some guy from National Citizens Coalition, gave me a pretty good laugh.

quote:

Stephen Taylor ‏@stephen_taylor
A snapshot of the bias of Canadian twitter: Saulie Zajdel is trending above Michael Applebaum

Paul Wells ‏@InklessPW
It's true. Twitter is biased toward people who live outside the city of 2 million people and toward people who live in the country of 35M.
Shorter @stephen_taylor: (hides under bedsheet) Leaaave Saulie alooooooone!!!!

Stephen Taylor ‏@stephen_taylor
@InklessPW fry Saulie if he's guilty... but the sitting mayor of Montreal was arrested today. Isn't it odd that he's of secondary interest?

Paul Wells ‏@InklessPW
@stephen_taylor It's a bit odd that a social-media expert doesn't know that Twitter trending reports are based on his own follow list.
@stephen_taylor It's also odd for a failed candidate to be put on the federal payroll without explanation for months.
@stephen_taylor We asked about that at the time, when it amounted to mere idle curiosity. That oddity would have been easily avoided.
@stephen_taylor So yes, Stephen, it's an odd loving world. You pick your oddities, I'll pick mine, thank you very much.
If @Stephen_taylor prefers, I can go back to concentrating on the fraud a judge said was probably perpetrated with the CBC database.
If it makes @stephen_taylor happy, I can go back to how it's now up to the RCMP to figure out why Nigel Wright bailed out a Senator.
I'm really easy on this, @stephen_taylor. It's a target-rich environment.
Don't you worry, Junior. I plan to chew. RT @stephen_taylor: @InklessPW I just pointed out a twitter trend for you to chew on.
I'm not. You five-alarm idiot. RT @stephen_taylor: @InklessPW didn't realize you were so passionate about NDG local politics.

:munch:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
It's rare you see one of the twitterati going after someone like that, even if he's an opinion columnist.

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

When's the elections again? I'm wondering if they'll bother to put MTL under the ol' tutelle in the meantime

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Cold Fusion posted:

When's the elections again? I'm wondering if they'll bother to put MTL under the ol' tutelle in the meantime

Early November, and they won't, unlike Laval which had a single elected party and everyone was involved in the corruption, Montréal has multiple parties and the whole system is (in theory) not affected by these accusations (which have to do with NDG/CDN borough in particular).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So the government has yet another plan to screw with the Civil Service.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Government+proposes+move+withhold+weeks+from+public+servants/8533342/story.html

I can really afford this assholes.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
In another Twitter catch, Judith Baxter is a Harper Government appointee to the Canadian Museum of Civilization board. She's also probably the source behind the letter to Trudeau about charity speaking fees.

edit: Seems iPolitics is on the case.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 17, 2013

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Kafka Esq. posted:

In another Twitter catch, Judith Baxter is a Harper Government appointee to the Canadian Museum of Civilization board. She's also probably the source behind the letter to Trudeau about charity speaking fees.

edit: Seems iPolitics is on the case.

The second that "story" came out I immediately knew that whoever issued the complaint had to be a CPC bagman of some kind.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Government+proposes+move+withhold+weeks+from+public+servants/8533342/story.html

This is normal for other CC. BC Hydro does this.

Upon leaving the company, you will get 2 weeks of additional pay in exchange for two weeks of no pay for new hires. for existing employees, it means a pay reduction over the year as the least disruptive option. I don't see the issue here.

Are you just reading the headlines?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Am I misreading the article, or is my interpretation correct: say you make $1000 per cheque, which you are paid in full on January 1. Your next cheque, and each subsequent cheque, is reduced by $42, to $938 bimonthly, until $1000 is accrued from that $42 reduction, at which point some sort of magical mystery thing happens. Are people getting that $1000 back? The article only mentions a one-time reduction in taxable income.

It also looks like there's two different things going on - switching to a staggered pay system (wherein your January 15 cheque is paid at the end of January), and then this separate clawback? There's precious little in the way of publicity around this, unfortunately.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

quaint bucket posted:

I don't see the issue here.
Money has a time value, stealing from your employees to inflate your bottom line ain't novel but that don't make it ethical.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Pinterest Mom posted:

What now, Toronto? :smug:

Getting the old regime's number 2 to serve as interim mayor, especially Applebaum specifically (he's a turd), was always going to be fraught with risk. It's been clear he was getting investigated for corruption for 6 months or so.

Reminder: As of now, our credible candidates for mayor are:
Mélanie Joly, PR exec and organiser for JT's leadership campaign.
Marcel Côté, management consultant who said last year that the mafia was more democratic than student associations.
Denis Coderre, Denis Coderre.

Has Harel been reduced to fringe candidate status at this point?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Christy and Ali have apparently made up and are no longer fake enemies. They had coffee the other day, and they're talking. Here's to four more years of their strong leadership.

:swoon:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Dark One posted:

Has Harel been reduced to fringe candidate status at this point?

She's desperately looking for a way to drop out honourably. She'll probably run on a joint ticket with Marcel Côté, with her being designated as head of the executive committee.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

quaint bucket posted:

This is normal for other CC. BC Hydro does this.

Upon leaving the company, you will get 2 weeks of additional pay in exchange for two weeks of no pay for new hires. for existing employees, it means a pay reduction over the year as the least disruptive option. I don't see the issue here.

Are you just reading the headlines?

To claim it's industry standard in the private sector is misleading. From the (admittedly small) sample size of friends I asked, no one works under those type of rules (holding two weeks pay until you quit/resign/are fired/retire).

It's loving disgusting in my opinion, why the hell does the company get to hold two weeks worth of pay for the entire time I work for them? What is the company going to do with the money? What happens when a company with these kinds of practices goes under?

The bigger issue is why the hell wasn't the union brought into this discussion in the first place? They represent the people you're trying to impose these changes on after all.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

TrueChaos posted:

The bigger issue is why the hell wasn't the union brought into this discussion in the first place? They represent the people you're trying to impose these changes on after all.
Because Conservatives think public sector unions are worse than Al Qaeda.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I've never heard of that 'hold two weeks pay' thing at all

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

sbaldrick posted:

that article posted:

...the $9 billion in cash it will recover from employees’ paycheques that it doesn’t have to spend in 2014.

How much do you want to bet that if this goes through, the one-time influx of cash (which is really just a deferment of a payment that will have to be made in the future) will be used to justify the CPC's economic policies similar to the Harris government selling off crown assets in Ontario and claiming a balanced budget?

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

Money has a time value, stealing from your employees to inflate your bottom line ain't novel but that don't make it ethical.

Really? You're not getting 2 weeks pay from the beginning into the end. You're getting paid at the present value if you were to leave the company today.

Let me explain this to make it easier.

Joe started work at a company. They withheld 2 weeks of Joe's pay ($2400/biweekly). Joe stays with the company for 7 years. During those 7 years, Joe has been earning raises competing with inflation not withstanding any significant change in his position.

Today, Joe found a new career opportunity with a different company. Joe put his two weeks notice in and worked for the company while he continues to get his regular rate of pay of $2700/biweekly. 2 weeks after Joe's last day, he gets his final direct deposit in his bank account for $2700 from his old company.

Don't give me that "time value" crap. You're just lying to yourself.

TrueChaos posted:

To claim it's industry standard in the private sector is misleading. From the (admittedly small) sample size of friends I asked, no one works under those type of rules (holding two weeks pay until you quit/resign/are fired/retire).

It's loving disgusting in my opinion, why the hell does the company get to hold two weeks worth of pay for the entire time I work for them? What is the company going to do with the money? What happens when a company with these kinds of practices goes under?

Ignoring anecdote evidence. From what I've understand, companies have started adopting this practice about a few years ago. My company is not one of them but I'm not against the idea of going through it of necessary.

As for what the company is going to do with the money, maybe the better question would be, "why would they do this?" I think it's a fantastic idea because it doesn't just help the customer but help the employees as well for down the road. Face it, a lot of people are living paycheck to paycheck. This is a good thing for them if they were let go, fire, or quit.

The unions were probably not involved because it wasn't in their contract and was a payroll change; therefore, FTU. :colbert: it's just a lot of noise looking for a fight on a non-issue.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In other news, maybe I just haven't been paying close enough attention, but I can't remember ever hearing about Harper's government pushing the idea of a two party system, on top of the usual "the senate is good!"

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

quaint bucket posted:

Ignoring anecdote evidence. From what I've understand, companies have started adopting this practice about a few years ago. My company is not one of them but I'm not against the idea of going through it of necessary.
So you're going to ignore his anecdote and use your own instead? I don't think that's how that's supposed to work.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

lonelywurm posted:

So you're going to ignore his anecdote and use your own instead? I don't think that's how that's supposed to work.

His anecdote was "I talked to a couple of my friends" mine was a large crown corporation (BC Hydro) that has been doing it for quite some time which is fact!

Surprisingly, the world hasn't ended!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

quaint bucket posted:

His anecdote was "I talked to a couple of my friends" mine was a large crown corporation (BC Hydro) that has been doing it for quite some time which is fact!

Surprisingly, the world hasn't ended!

That's... not how anecdotes work.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:getin:

Brent Rathgeber posted:

Overall, I have no regrets. By resigning from the CPC Caucus, more doors have opened for me than closed. There is speculative talk about starting a new political party and even reviving old ones. I have been offered speaking gigs (albeit no one has offered me $20,000)! I would welcome the opportunity to address university students or anyone else who is interested in democratic reform, especially the current imbalance between the executive and legislative branches of government. I am not interested in leading a party; I am, however, interested in contributing to a discussion on how to improve our parliamentary democracy. That discussion is desperately needed.

(Clearly he means the United Farmers.)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I hope they call it Refooooooorm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The Wii Party: Withered Political Points that allows them to still play to the old emotions of the PCers, Reformers and even borrows from the Chateau Clique!

• Locked thread