Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

o muerte posted:

Yeah, I'm going to make this a part of my regular cleaning routine. If I'd realized how straightforward it is I'd have started years ago.

Should the little plastic piece on top be free spinning or tight, I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Should the little plastic piece on top be free spinning or tight, I forget.

Tight if I recall correctly, it's intended to spiral beans down in to the burr and it won't if it's loose.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

o muerte posted:

Tight if I recall correctly, it's intended to spiral beans down in to the burr and it won't if it's loose.

I ask because after reassembling the unit, there seems to be almost not change in my grind from course to fine. I'm sure I assembled it correctly, not sure if this is because I don't have that screw tightened perfectly or what.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Google Butt posted:

I ask because after reassembling the unit, there seems to be almost not change in my grind from course to fine. I'm sure I assembled it correctly, not sure if this is because I don't have that screw tightened perfectly or what.

Huh, I haven't had any trouble with mine since reassembling - grind selection is as normal as it's ever been. Check to make sure that everything seated correctly when you reassembled. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if the grind is consistently too coarse then the screw holding the whole mechanism down is too tight - that would produce a larger than normal gap between the lower and upper halves of the burr. If the grind is too fine the screw may be too loose. If you can't figure it out I'll fish around on Capresso's website and see if there's a service manual, they may specify a torque for the screw.

edit: If you tightened the torx screw down hard try backing it out 1/4 or 1/2 turn and see if that fixes things. I remember being somewhat light on the torque there to allow the burr mechanism to spin as it did originally. The screw should be snug enough to hold the mechanism firmly together but loose enough that nothing binds and the motor doesn't labor. I wish I could be more specific but I don't have a torque wrench handy to measure what I did.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 10, 2013

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Today I brought a thermometer to work and measured the heat of the water from the water heater. I think I need an electric kettle for work because the water's only 185 degrees F.

I think I might have a problem, guys.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casull posted:

Today I brought a thermometer to work and measured the heat of the water from the water heater. I think I need an electric kettle for work because the water's only 185 degrees F.

I think I might have a problem, guys.

Those things can be adjusted. Sometimes the temp adjust is just on the back but other times you need to open them up.

Or you can get an aeropress. They seem to be more forgiving of lower temperatures.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
Does anyone have tips on removing chaff when roasting with a popcorn maker?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Get some lighter roasted kenyan kinyovu pea berry it responds wonderfully to the 185-190 temperature range.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

beanbrew posted:

Does anyone have tips on removing chaff when roasting with a popcorn maker?

Is it getting stuck in your roaster?

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart

Mu Zeta posted:

Is it getting stuck in your roaster?

I just have trouble getting it all out of my beans after roasting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm using an air popper and almost all the skin is gone after it has gone past 1st crack. I dump it all into a collander(s) and run outside to transfer them back and forth to cool it down for a few minutes. No skin left.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Roasted my first batch with a friend at his shop in Seoul, I maybe shouldn't have brought that into work :ohdear:

Is there an accepted click setting system with the Hario mini grinder. If you tighten it all the way is it something like 2 clicks for moka, 4 for Hario v60 drop, for kalita. I'm having a hell of a time with it and my grind isn't that consistent. Bought it in Korea so the instructions are Korean and Japanese. I expected a lot more from it. Please tell me what I'm screwing up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I used a hot air popper virtually all of the chaff would blow out of the top during the roast.

Using a stovetop popper now that doesn't happen. Usually I pour the roasted beans between two colanders a few times and then gently blow the chaff off the top into the sink. Shaking the beans around in the colander usually causes a bunch more chaff to rise to the top. Repeating that a handful of times gets rid of most of it. A little bit of chaff in the final product doesn't hurt anything.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 12, 2013

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

DontAskKant posted:

Roasted my first batch with a friend at his shop in Seoul, I maybe shouldn't have brought that into work :ohdear:

Is there an accepted click setting system with the Hario mini grinder. If you tighten it all the way is it something like 2 clicks for moka, 4 for Hario v60 drop, for kalita. I'm having a hell of a time with it and my grind isn't that consistent. Bought it in Korea so the instructions are Korean and Japanese. I expected a lot more from it. Please tell me what I'm screwing up.

Hey fellow goon-in-Korea: where are some good roasters in the Seoul-Bundang vicinity? I used naver blogposts to try to find some, but the last one I found roasted their beans to starbucks-level... Any recommendations?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

beanbrew posted:

I just have trouble getting it all out of my beans after roasting.

I throw mine in a colander and stir them around with my hand which usually brings the chaff up to the top and I blow lightly while I'm doing it and it blows the chaff out of the colander. Works pretty well.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Ordered a Porlex Mini mill because I am a sucker for design.

Will report on how much it will change my life (unlikely to actually change it). Probably will use it for a press on the go.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Archer2338 posted:

Hey fellow goon-in-Korea: where are some good roasters in the Seoul-Bundang vicinity? I used naver blogposts to try to find some, but the last one I found roasted their beans to starbucks-level... Any recommendations?

My guy is out of Zombie Coffee in Hongdae (Let me know if you need the Korean or an address, I've never seen you in the Korean thread or in Korean goon mega Kakaochat). Coffee Libre in Sinsa and Hannam-dong and Sangsu everyone loves, but I've never been to. A few guys/gals get their beans from Intelligentsia, but they aren't always the freshest. Still better than lovely fresh roast though. In Bundang, right outside Seohyeon station (like a block away) is my favorite ramen spot and more relevant my favorite coffee spot in Bundang, called Better, Best. Over by Eungbongsan on the west side of the mountain is my favorite barista, aside from being completely lovely and a having a neat design sense she is the only person I know who makes Turkish coffee outside of some over priced Turkish restaurants. She actually makes a good pour over out of the plastic Kalita drips, I still like the Chemex, but that's not always popular here. One new place that is kind of interesting, that I haven't checked out yet, is out the north exit of Janghanpyeong station called Coffee Project. It is brand new, has a huge glass front and brews all styles of coffee except Turkish and Clover (I'm sure I'm missing some, but they have a bunch).

As for roaster talk in particular, lots of shops have their own roaster. It's usually displayed prominently, a lot of them seem to be on timers and they don't actually watch them too closely, but some put a high level of care into it. I would try and find one near you that you like, just keep an eye open and look for the giant drum roaster.

Pop over to Korea megathread and I'm sure other guys have other suggestions (though some will be smart asses and tell you to inject maxim).

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Oh that is very helpful; I didn't know about the Seohyun place at all despite my attempts at Naver-ing nearby roasters... Will check that out when I have the chance, thanks!

Off topic: Is the Korea thread the one in Tourism/travel?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Archer2338 posted:

Oh that is very helpful; I didn't know about the Seohyun place at all despite my attempts at Naver-ing nearby roasters... Will check that out when I have the chance, thanks!

Off topic: Is the Korea thread the one in Tourism/travel?

Yup,

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Thanks to this thread I am going to buy a Technivorm. I've decided drip coffee is the best coffee and I want to do it right. It is going to be a birthday gift so I was wondering if I could grab a recommendation on good online coffee retailers? I want to get something special to go with the Technivorm so if anyone knows about some really good stuff please let me know where to get it.

Also, I pretty much only read the OP and the first few pages and it seems the OP is a couple of years old. Is Technivorm still the best?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

OP is still very accurate.

The only 'new contender' in drip is the Bonavita at about $150. Technivorm still wins.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Me in Reverse posted:

OP is still very accurate.

The only 'new contender' in drip is the Bonavita at about $150. Technivorm still wins.

I would disagree. The Behmor Brazen is newer, and I would buy one over a Bonavita or a Technivorm.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Astronaut Jones posted:

I would disagree. The Behmor Brazen is newer, and I would buy one over a Bonavita or a Technivorm.

why?

edit: I'm not being snarky, I want to know why the Brazen is better than the other two. I have a Bonavita myself and I think it's great.

Edit2: I will say that if it was a beauty contest though, the Brazen would lose pretty hard. Thing is awful looking.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 13, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

why?

edit: I'm not being snarky, I want to know why the Brazen is better than the other two. I have a Bonavita myself and I think it's great.

Edit2: I will say that if it was a beauty contest though, the Brazen would lose pretty hard. Thing is awful looking.

What, you don't want your drip machine to look like an alien space shuttle? :colbert:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I haven't heard of the BraZen. I'm interested, though. Are there any technical reviews available?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Me in Reverse posted:

I haven't heard of the BraZen. I'm interested, though. Are there any technical reviews available?

There's a lot of reviews of it on Coffeegeek, as well as Home Barista. As you may or may not know, the Behmor guy(s) make a fine roaster and he branched out last year into the drip market. I will agree, the thing is goofy looking compared to the Bonavita, but it apparently makes a fine cup of coffee. It's apparently very thermally stable, has a great dispersion pattern, an insulated carafe, good timer features, etc.

I personally don't really drink much drip coffee (more of an espresso guy) so I just fire up the french press should I feel the urge. If I wanted drip though I would consider the Brazen, even if it is fugly.

My pride and joy (which I have probably posted at some point):

I just had to replace some o-rings in the steam arm so I tore out the pvc tubing in it (turning the no-burn arm into a burn-me arm), and tossed on one of those rubber things on the crook of it (not pictured). Steam is much drier and better overall but my god does that arm get hot. Plus, you have to have a wet cloth handy to clean it, which I always forget while steaming and it's caked on pretty well by the time I have returned with one (from 5 steps away).

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Astronaut Jones posted:

My pride and joy (which I have probably posted at some point):

I don't have much to add other than that this is a beautiful setup. I'm jealous.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Anyone found a good brush for cleaning stainless steel equipment with small openings? Should I be looking for nylon or another material? I can barely get my hand inside my kettle, and not at all in my thermos.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm mad. I've been living in my house for four years and as soon as I decide to move and start building a house they open an awesome coffee shop near me. They don't roast their own coffee, but everything comes in fresh from PT's.

On an awesome note, they just got in a super super small batch of Don Pachi Geisha and they're brewing it tomorrow. Sounds like they only have enough for like 10 cups. I better get there early.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

rockcity posted:

They don't roast their own coffee

This is usually a positive to me. There are far too many little cafes cranking out mediocre organic/FTO/shade grown/ostrich friendly/whatever coffee just so they can say they roast their own beans on the premises. The good roaster cafes are usually quality roasters in their own right that separately operate cafes (see: Intelligentsia). I would much rather that a cafe concentrate on preparing good coffee sourced from an amazing roaster, not roasting it themselves.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

This is usually a positive to me. There are far too many little cafes cranking out mediocre organic/FTO/shade grown/ostrich friendly/whatever coffee just so they can say they roast their own beans on the premises. The good roaster cafes are usually quality roasters in their own right that separately operate cafes (see: Intelligentsia). I would much rather that a cafe concentrate on preparing good coffee sourced from an amazing roaster, not roasting it themselves.

Touche. I guess I've just never been to a roaster that I didn't like. Some were definitely better than others though. More than anything I'm just mad that they're opening it now when I'm moving away, especially because Orlando has essentially jack poo poo for good coffee.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I have a coffee conundrum. I have an Aeropress at home, which I love, and I just got a Clever for work. Work is also a 20 second walk from Monmouth Coffee, an excellent London roaster. I also have a Delonghi espresso machine (this one), which I bought before I properly got into coffee.

My question is: is there any point trying to make espresso with this machine at home, or should I sell it, leave espresso to the experts across the street, and save up for a better machine? And if so, what's the lowest-price machine I should be looking at?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Can't answer the expresso bit but Monmouth is the best place to go for coffee beans in London in my opinion. I go to their Bermondsey location (open 9am-12pm on Saturdays only) because they do free coffees to let you sample everything until you decide what you want to buy.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

Bobstar posted:

My question is: is there any point trying to make espresso with this machine at home, or should I sell it, leave espresso to the experts across the street, and save up for a better machine? And if so, what's the lowest-price machine I should be looking at?

What you have there in the Delonghi is a thermoblock system, which is a step lower than ure E61 double boilers HX etc.

But it would still make you a decent espresso especially if you have fresh beans ie from Monmouth and a good grinder, I'd say have a play with it and upgrade later.

Went to the Monmouth joint in Convent Garden when I was in London for a visit, I get most of my beans from Square Mile or Hasbean (prefer the former)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

kim jong-illin posted:

Can't answer the expresso bit but Monmouth is the best place to go for coffee beans in London in my opinion. I go to their Bermondsey location (open 9am-12pm on Saturdays only) because they do free coffees to let you sample everything until you decide what you want to buy.

Ah yes, I work just near their Covent Garden shop, they do sampling too, but it does get very full.

grabulasa, yeah I don't think I'd get much for that machine so I'm going into modding territory now, and looking at something like a Silvia for the future. Can't hurt to practice, I've just nobbled the "crema helper" system. Thanks!

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
Just wanted to check in and say gently caress inverted Aeropress methods and everything about them. I don't really taste a difference and I just spilled a bunch of hot coffee and grounds all over my counter. It's not worth the hassle/risk.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Sorry, inverted Aeropress owns and forgetting to put the cap on before flipping it is a rite of passage.

e: to be less snarky, the only advantage of inverting is giving you control over the steep. I like it because then I have more variables I can play with to get the most out of my coffee.

Bobstar posted:

Ah yes, I work just near their Covent Garden shop, they do sampling too, but it does get very full.

This is why I like the Bermondsey one - it's just the back end of a warehouse under the railway arches where they roll the shutters up and do everything on a rough plywood counter. Don't think I've ever seen more than half a dozen people there at once so you have plenty of time to chat to the guys behind the counter and talk about what they've got

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Jik Waffleson posted:

Just wanted to check in and say gently caress inverted Aeropress methods and everything about them. I don't really taste a difference and I just spilled a bunch of hot coffee and grounds all over my counter. It's not worth the hassle/risk.

Monday 7 AM PST Inverted Aeropress diaster, check.

Clever erryday

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Metal filter inverted aeropress is basically the platonic ideal for creating a single serving of coffee with excellent body and achieving proper extraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Metal filter inverted aeropress is basically the platonic ideal for creating a single serving of coffee with excellent body and achieving proper extraction.
Wait, where do I get the metal filter?