Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's in issue 1 released by Dark Horse so who for all intents and purposes it's in the series proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I don't recall any of those hangups being plot points past his time with his lady friend. If anything it seems he misses them now.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Isn't that from the Berserk Prototype and not the series proper?

Nope, that's right at the beginning of volume 1.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I have a hard time recommending a manga that begins with Guts banging a demon to anyone. That scene strikes me as odd in restrospect, given Guts' hangups about sex.

That scene is perfect, actually. You know exactly what you're going into from the first 5 pages: sex, ultra violence, nightmarish imagery, and a brutal cruelty. If you can handle that, you can read the rest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's also an obvious nod to the first Arnie Conan movie.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I have a hard time recommending a manga that begins with Guts banging a demon to anyone. That scene strikes me as odd in restrospect, given Guts' hangups about sex.

He seemed so nonplussed about it too. "Lady, this isn't my first succubus rodeo."

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Soulcleaver posted:

This series has both repulsive visceral things make make you lose your lunch and mortifying psychological horror that stays with you for years. I love it.

Jesus Christ, does it ever. I'm reading it for the first time, and just got to the part where Charlotte's father tries to rape her and I think that might be the most horrifying thing I've ever read. And I'm a huge Junji Ito / Kazuo Umezu fan. It's really a testament to the quality of the writing that something like that can top man-eating demons and battlefield massacres.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Let us know when you get to the Eclipse, I'm sure your reaction will be great :allears:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the general consensus on the Anime? I watched the first episode and it was decent, but the manga's catching my attention a lot more. Obviously it's not going to be allowed to be as graphic and they already changed up the basic structure of the first chapter by having it be some girl he saves instead of Puck. Is it generally considered to be a good adaptation?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

What's the general consensus on the Anime? I watched the first episode and it was decent, but the manga's catching my attention a lot more. Obviously it's not going to be allowed to be as graphic and they already changed up the basic structure of the first chapter by having it be some girl he saves instead of Puck. Is it generally considered to be a good adaptation?

If you plan to read the manga, then don't bother watching the anime until after you've read volume 13. The anime tries to be self-contained and eliminates lots of key events that tie the plot to the rest of the manga (it eliminates Puck, for example). Some people really liked the anime, but it didn't really move me at all. Outtakes loving ruled though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's not much of an adaptation and doesn't have nearly the budget required to do the manga justice; that said, it's still one of my favorite shows, and the soundtrack has become inseparable from Berserk for me.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
He's only doing the deed to satisfy his vengeance. Guts hates demon kind pretty intensely. I always thought the introduction was illustrating how Guts puts himself in the position of danger to get inside of his opponents guard and land the killing blow.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
She also happens to be the same one who killed Corcus . She pulled the same "I'm a pretty lady, whoops no I'm not" on him too.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Both the old animated series and the recent movies have their moments (the former's soundtrack, the assassination scene in one of the movies) but they fall short of Berserk's greatness. The anime had lots of still shots and other animation shortcuts and cut out way too much plotwise; ditto with the new movies with their baffling changes (Flag from nowhere instead of Zodd tossing a sword to his worthy adversary? What the hell?) and inexcusably bad CG. I realize it would cost billions to animate anything with the length and level of detail of Miura's art, but what we did get is pretty ugly in comparison to the manga's magnificence.

A certain major event (not spoiling it here) is appropriately nightmarish in all three versions, though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The greatest crime of the movies is removing Guts' amazing assassination floppy hat.

Otherwise they're pretty good, the CG has gotten way better since the first one.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Jesus Christ, does it ever. I'm reading it for the first time, and just got to the part where Charlotte's father tries to rape her and I think that might be the most horrifying thing I've ever read. And I'm a huge Junji Ito / Kazuo Umezu fan. It's really a testament to the quality of the writing that something like that can top man-eating demons and battlefield massacres.

That was more repulsive than the troll rape that occurred in Qlipoth?

A.S.H. posted:

He's only doing the deed to satisfy his vengeance. Guts hates demon kind pretty intensely. I always thought the introduction was illustrating how Guts puts himself in the position of danger to get inside of his opponents guard and land the killing blow.

You came to this conclusion before hearing about how Guts duels Griffith again to win his freedom, Not bad Mr. Serpico.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Khagan posted:

That was more repulsive than the troll rape that occurred in Qlipoth?
He didn't get there yet, dude.

Begemot posted:

The greatest crime of the movies is removing Guts' amazing assassination floppy hat.

Otherwise they're pretty good, the CG has gotten way better since the first one.
Yeah, the third one really looked a lot better :unsmigghh: I can't wait to see more arcs in animation.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

I can't wait to see more arcs in animation.
The fake elves (Or whatever that story arc was called) might be an easy 'stand alone' movie to make. Kind of like the Vampire Hunter D movies. They probably need to do something with the Black Swordsman stuff first though since unlike the anime, they just completely skipped that so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The initial black swordsman arc could easily make for a movie, but it would set kind of a weird tone for any subsequent movies. I mean, Guts confronts Griffith in the movie directly following the eclipse? And then they never fight again for what could easily fill like 6 more movies up to the present.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Aesop Poprock posted:

The show was one of the first anime I ever watched, without knowing the manga existed. If nothing else, it did an amazing job of getting me hyped when I first heard "You know there's more Berserk, right?" :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raw's for the third movie are out, I'm kind of scared to watch the R18 version. :ohdear:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Aside from the gore and violence and rape and whatnot, the most horrifying part of Berserk is the complete and utter destruction of all hope.

"Humans are alive to feed demons and when they die, they go to hell, there's no heaven at all."

You're rooting for a guy where a happy ending just isn't possible.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The Skull Knight/Zodd fight looks :black101: as all get out on screen.

Also, yes, the movie goes past the eclipse.

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 21, 2013

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm probably gonna watch this tomorrow. I'm nervous about how THAT scene in the eclipse is handled. One of the great things about the manga is how it's able to show graphic sex without making it erotic, despite the fact that Griffith's demon powers are sorta making Caska aroused against her will.

Are my fears justified or is the scene handled with the right amount of horror?

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

So I absolutely hated the first two movies, but I just saw the raw of Descent, and I have to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. While I have some quibbles about the film and the somewhat bemusing production decisions, this is genuinely an improvement over the end of the '97 anime series, which is significantly more than I can say about the previous two entires in the trilogy. It also helped me understand a lot of what they were trying to do with these films which didn't really make sense going by the previous two alone.

I'll just quickly share the glaring omissions: There's no Wyald, no Bakiraka, no Godo, no explanation for Rickert not being at the Eclipse, Zodd has an extremely limited screen presence, Silat comes off like a dorky Berserk stock-villain, and, most unusually, they totally cut out the demon fetus. I can't figure out how they're going to be able to deal with that plot hole if they actually continue to animate the series. :psyduck:

The CGI animation is still wonky, but decidedly better. They finally figured out that the CGI characters look like freakish dolls if they don't draw in the faces (it only took them two feature length productions! :effort: ), and much more of the movie is in 2D animation than the previous ones. I think this movie helped me figure out what they were really trying to do with the animation, but I'll get back to that later.

They do a fantastic job showing Griffith as a ruined, shell of a human being, and the despair of the Hawks is conveyed pretty wonderfully. If only they had payed this much attention to characterization earlier I would have been perfectly satisfied. This is the definitive animated version of the Eclipse. The rape scene is especially brutal with a cringe-worthy emphatic juxtaposition between Guts cutting off his arm and Griffith penetrating Casca. Besides very minor, unnoticeable censorship on genitalia there's no difference between the 15 and R18 cut. The extra run time on the 15 is for a Jpop music video at the end.

To address previous questions about what these movies are doing, this movie has solidified that this is in no way Miura's vision of Berserk, but I really think there is a purposeful thematic emphasis being played with in the film's presentation. While story elements and character relationships were cut from the movie, it's easy to notice that the film makers went into excrutiating detail on the small touches in scenery which isn't really typical of most anime. There's something specific about this: The detail in the backgrounds, the drops of rain, the insects crawling around, the men speaking in the background, the horses stammering. There's really an extra effort being put towards making the narrative presented in the Berserk movies take place in a real world constituted by real physical laws and conditions. This is the purpose of the CGI, beyond just transparent cost-cutting, the animators seem to want to portray for us a real, constituted and continuous material culture which the characters interact with. The third movie made this thematic emphasis more apparent during Griffith's rather psychedelic transformation in which he sees the totality of human history and his own material context within the universe in what's most likely an allusion to the idea of evil. The animators have focused on the theme of Berserk as a gnostic tale, with the godhand and the stand-in for the idea of evil associated with the entire universe of Berserk's world on an ontological level, and this is made especially explicit during the added scene after the Eclipse when Griffith manifests in the storm cloud raining over Guts, and I think it's also emphasized by the ending which especially emphasizes the grass in the field with Guts and the Skull-Knight. Rather than totally thematically bankrupt I think these movies have thrown their lot in with this emphasis on the struggle of Guts vs. reality itself.

But I have to be honest, as much as I like the third movie, the first two don't become better in retrospect. There's an actual narrative going on in Descent, but as someone who loves the story I'm dreading Studio 4c's adaptation of the rest of the material. Especially if they actually skip the Black Swordsman arc in favor of Lost Children.

These adaptations are really for the fans. The plot holes in Descent are egregious enough to suggest that these movies only exist with an audience in mind who's read the manga. It's probably best just to consider this glorified supplemental material and somewhat misguided fanservice. But then I wrote these thoughts based on the raws alone, so maybe it's even dumber than I think it is.

Vedius Pollio fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 21, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

E the Shaggy posted:

Aside from the gore and violence and rape and whatnot, the most horrifying part of Berserk is the complete and utter destruction of all hope.

"Humans are alive to feed demons and when they die, they go to hell, there's no heaven at all."

You're rooting for a guy where a happy ending just isn't possible.

Definitely, I think by far the darkest side of berserk is the spiritual side. God is Satan, there is no good God, and the hateful, lustful and corrupt are rewarded by "god" with rebirth into demonhood. Although the trigger is despair and the majority of them are bad people, there were some "good" people like the fairy demon girl. So its not completely the bad but it seems like the demons are drawn to slaughter and rape by nature. Definitely scary stuff.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I was mostly disappointed with the 3rd film. It felt really disjointed to me, though maybe watching all 3 in closer time frame makes it better. I didn't like the 1st one, thought the 2nd was pretty OK but overall haven't liked any of them too much. It just doesn't seem to have the feel of the manga and anime. I watched the anime and read the manga in conjunction. I think in part due to personal issues at the time, I was really invested in the series. The Eclipse was probably the most disturbing and unsettling thing I've come across as I wasn't expecting it at all. It affected me for a while. I couldn't stand to see the Griffith's helmet shape/Femto head or hear the music due to the associations for a long time. So, I wasn't really looking forward to this movie having to go back to that place again. Maybe it's because I already knew what was coming, but there didn't seem an apprehension, tension, claustrophobia and despair that the manga and anime made me feel. I skipped the Femto scenes in Descent because I just couldn't see what happens to Casca again. I loved all the Skull Knight's parts as he's a character I really like, probably until more is told about him and some awful thing he likely has done like the rest of the Berserk Universe seems to be...

Probably the biggest thing is the music. The anime had such distinct music that I really loved and this film seemed mostly lacking with anything notable. I didn't like the look of Guts and how he was voiced, especially his yelling. That's nitpicking a bit much, but like Vedius Pollio said:

quote:

These adaptations are really for the fans. The plot holes in Descent are egregious enough to suggest that these movies only exist with an audience in mind who's read the manga. It's probably best just to consider this glorified supplemental material and somewhat misguided fanservice.

I really agree. I'm glad more attention is given to the series, but I wish it was a little better as it's incredibly deserving of more recognition.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ccs posted:

I'm probably gonna watch this tomorrow. I'm nervous about how THAT scene in the eclipse is handled. One of the great things about the manga is how it's able to show graphic sex without making it erotic, despite the fact that Griffith's demon powers are sorta making Caska aroused against her will.

Are my fears justified or is the scene handled with the right amount of horror?

No, it's the worst scene in the film and they shoot it like something from a hentai title. In fact, as far as I could see, the only difference between the R-15 and R-18 versions was to make that scene more explicit.

The Eclipse was handled way better in the TV series version, despite the bizarre choice of cut off point.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012
Gonna join in with what everyone else is doing in the thread and offer my opinion -

The first half was absolutely terrible, from the sad violins, to the escape, everything apart from the actual look of the film was flat out bad. I also really don't like the design of Guts they've got, his eyebrows look really strange. It felt semi-incoherent at best. I found myself skipping chunks to see how bad they'd hosed up the Eclipse.

And then the entire movie from Griffith taking control of the cart was fantastic. It was like a different bunch of people had decided to do the film instead. Even the CGI was pretty good. This is the best animated version of the Eclipse. The only thing lacking was the soundtrack. Susumu Hirasawa's in the 1997 anime fits Berserk (even the manga) like a glove and the film soundtrack really doesn't, it's really quite generic.

I just don't understand why the other 2 1/2 of the movies couldn't be like the last half of this one. If the rest of this adaption is like that - then fine, that's great, if I want animated Golden Age I can watch the 1997 version and then this adaption for the rest of Berserk.

They better not gently caress up Tower of Conviction. That would be a crime. :colbert:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I just watched the third one. I agree the first section was weaker although I didn't think it was that much worse than the second half. The eclipse was surprisingly well done although there was one shot where Caska looked kinda happy, which shouldn't happen considering what's happening to her.

On a technical level I wish they had used Lightwave instead of Maya for the 3D stuff. Maya is good for character animation but sub-par for getting that cell shading look. Whereas the Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure op used Lightwave. Or if they had gotten the studio that's doing the Cyborg 009: Re Cyborg movie to do the CG parts, then it might blend better. But what's done is done. At least the hand-drawn parts are nice.

The movies as a whole didn't make me feel much though. They were much too rushed, there wasn't time for real involvement in these characters who are so well developed in the manga. Hopefully if more gets made they're able to take their time.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Ccs posted:

So I just watched the third one. I agree the first section was weaker although I didn't think it was that much worse than the second half. The eclipse was surprisingly well done although there was one shot where Caska looked kinda happy, which shouldn't happen considering what's happening to her.
It was that way in the manga too.

I really hope that they will actually continue on with the movies. This set has been pretty awesome despite some of the minor technical and pacing issues.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Ccs posted:

On a technical level I wish they had used Lightwave instead of Maya for the 3D stuff. Maya is good for character animation but sub-par for getting that cell shading look. Whereas the Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure op used Lightwave. Or if they had gotten the studio that's doing the Cyborg 009: Re Cyborg movie to do the CG parts, then it might blend better. But what's done is done. At least the hand-drawn parts are nice.

The movies as a whole didn't make me feel much though. They were much too rushed, there wasn't time for real involvement in these characters who are so well developed in the manga. Hopefully if more gets made they're able to take their time.

Do you know where I can find a English subbed version of episode 3 of the Berserk movies?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I doubt you can, the raws have only been out for a few days.

E: there's some crabstick quality subs out if you're desperate and want to watch in 360p.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 23, 2013

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
There was a set posted on the Beserk subreddit. Some of it is pretty bad though. The guy who did the subs made also some pretty dumb jokes during the ending music instead of subbing it.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/1gtdw0/attention_revised_english_sub_for_new_movie_is/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just wait for commie to finish theirs if you need subs. Though you really don't since you probably won't get much out of these movies without having read the manga anyway.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
They left out Godo and the demon fetus? You have got to be making GBS threads me.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I can grudgingly live without the Bakiraka, ENJOYMENT AND EXCITEMENT and some of the other stuff that's not hugely relevant to the plot, but they should have gone out of their way to avoid the baffling explain-nothing-whatsoever ending from the 1997 series. Do they at least show the Skull Knight saving Guts and Casca?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The show ending owns, even if it was an accident. Total confusion and terror followed by anger?

What more could you ask for in a depiction of the Eclipse?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 24, 2013

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

Soulcleaver posted:

Do they at least show the Skull Knight saving Guts and Casca?

Yes. And the immediate aftermath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The show ending owns, even if it was an accident. Total confusion and terror followed by anger?

What more could you ask for in a depiction of the Eclipse?

It's perfect and it made that scene so much more memorable in retrospect.

Descent is definitely the best of the movies, I think they handled the eclipse really well and I think it managed to resonate much more on a thematic or emotional level than the other two. The appearance of the God Hand was absolutely terrific.

But, I don't know, there's just something missing from this whole trilogy that I can't quite pinpoint. I've been re-reading the series and the absolute best part for me is how vividly Miura's imagery stands out in my mind. You can tell they tried to convey some of this in the films by directly trying to adapt specific panels, but it loses some of the effect in the process and I don't think they quite capitalize on the advantages of animation over drawings. I feel like for every awesome thing the movies do, there's always a caveat attached to it.

I just really hope we can get some of the other stuff adapted now. I'd kill for a movie version of the whole Lost Children arc.