Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Crackbone posted:

For a quick and dirty small-scale lab (like 4-5 machines tops), is there any reason Hyper-V on windows 8 Pro wouldn't work? All I really need is VMs and the ability to network those machines, and it looks like Win8Pro HV does that.

I use Hyper-V on my Win8 desktop at home as a lab and it works perfectly. If you are planning on running older Linux distros make sure that you select the legacy network adapter for the VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mierdaan posted:

No, there's a few limitations on Hyper-V in Windows8 but none of them will probably matter to you. You don't get Live Migration, RemoteFX, SR-IOV, virtual fibre channel, and some other irrelevant poo poo for a desktop lab.

Nope, don't give a gently caress about that. Good deal, this saves me the headache of building a dedicated box.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Not bashing hyper-v but any reason to go there over virtualbox?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Virtualbox is good but my reasoning was that Hyper-V is built in so less screwing around is required (Not that there's really any screwing around involved with setting up Virtualbox).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Corvettefisher posted:

Not particularly. It's already built into Win 8 and figure I might as well check it out.

tehDiceman
Jan 10, 2013

Corvettefisher posted:

Alright here is it. This is kinda at a high level(ignore the single connection server and security server). So far I think I got the provisioning of the labs down well.

Basically what I want to be able to do is tell vCloud I want to provision ~26 pools and assign vm's in Pool_$1 to vAPP_$1. So when a lab team requests VCAP-DCA lab the lab is provisioned, with two view desktops and attach them to the vAPP. This way we can use PCoIP, reduce the storage foot print via linked clones, and have the foundation for offering it online. Followed by vCloud cleaning up the environment after 16/8 weeks, or X days. I am not terribly versed at vCloud so yeah... In actuality all I need vCloud to do is send a call to provision the virtual desktops and link them to the vAPP.

Right now the vAPP is deployed we get the IP off the router and say okay Team A you are 172.XX.XXX.XX Person 1 is remoting in via port 4410 and person 2 is remoting in via Port 4409. This works fine for local but if we want to move it online I know this may not work well.

I am sure I will need to give the View jump boxes 2 IP's so the can contact the security server, and I will probably vlann it out.

Again I am not sure if this is even possible.

If I'm understanding correctly, I don't believe this will work like you're wanting. View desktops will not be able to deploy into a vCloud Director environment. Do you have any issue with your lab teams accessing vCenter/ESXi hosts directly? You could look into vApp templates and vCenter Orchestrator to deploy and clean up the vApps while using the View system as the "jump box" into the environment. This would eliminate the need for a vCloud Director instance which greatly reduces the complexity of the environment. If you still want to use vCloud Director and View in tandem, you'd have to build the environments separately and grant network access to the vApp's/View stations on the back end so they could communicate.

vCloud Director does vApp leasing(automatic time based power down and/or delete) so the automatic cleanup of lab environments is possible in that product. vCenter Orchestrator could also clean up an environment if you didn't have vCloud Director. Hopefully this information helps and maybe someone can chime in that is a little more familiar with binding these two products together.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

tehDiceman posted:

If I'm understanding correctly, I don't believe this will work like you're wanting. View desktops will not be able to deploy into a vCloud Director environment. Do you have any issue with your lab teams accessing vCenter/ESXi hosts directly? You could look into vApp templates and vCenter Orchestrator to deploy and clean up the vApps while using the View system as the "jump box" into the environment. This would eliminate the need for a vCloud Director instance which greatly reduces the complexity of the environment. If you still want to use vCloud Director and View in tandem, you'd have to build the environments separately and grant network access to the vApp's/View stations on the back end so they could communicate.

vCloud Director does vApp leasing(automatic time based power down and/or delete) so the automatic cleanup of lab environments is possible in that product. vCenter Orchestrator could also clean up an environment if you didn't have vCloud Director. Hopefully this information helps and maybe someone can chime in that is a little more familiar with binding these two products together.

Personally how I want to have it is, without vCloud because again, one thing of many caught up the labs prior was the over-complexity. While vCloud on top would be "cool" I don't know the benefit.

If it really isn't possible that is fine, I feel if we want to offer it online we are going to need to have some separation in between how the local and outside classes are run. Either that or I need to redesign it.

Derp I think I had an AH-HA moment! I feel dumb I'll post a redesign of what I think will work.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 14, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The nice thing about VirtualBox is that it ties into useful dev tools like Vagrant, while nobody seems to have any real interest in Hyper-V support.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Mierdaan posted:

Anyone played around with VMware's new Log Insight appliance?

Just set this up today and it seems pretty fantastic. Point it to your vCenter server and it'll loop through your hosts setting them up to log to itself. Then, you can point any other syslog-capable device at it (switches, routers, arrays) and check out the really nice (and useful) graphs. Highlight text in a message (e.g. latency number, iSCSI device id, etc.) and you get an "extract field" button that you can then use to graph those values over time or group messages by iSCSI device, etc.

The video does a nice job of showing the cool features: http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vcenter-log-insight/overview . Supposedly will be priced per logging device.

edit: it seems basically like Splunk with built-in vSphere understanding. I've never used Splunk but I've been looking for a syslog analyzer that doesn't require asperger syndrome to use like ELSA and other open source crap.

Erwin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 14, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Erwin posted:

edit: it seems basically like Splunk with built-in vSphere understanding. I've never used Splunk but I've been looking for a syslog analyzer that doesn't require asperger syndrome to use like ELSA and other open source crap.
Have you looked at Logstash? It's not quite Splunk, but it's very free.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

Have you looked at Logstash? It's not quite Splunk, but it's very free.

Thanks rear end in a top hat, now that I know this exists I have to implement it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

adorai posted:

Thanks rear end in a top hat, now that I know this exists I have to implement it.

Look at Kibana as a front end to it. Maybe it's improved since last time I looked but, while super powerful under the hood, Logstash's GUI was pretty ghetto.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Welp all finished with the ICM class for Fall, No view courses but eh, spring 2014 is probably going to work

Pictured Dl 385's, PS4000, and Netapp. Next weekend is 3750X's ungrade from some Netgear smart switches.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Look at Kibana as a front end to it. Maybe it's improved since last time I looked but, while super powerful under the hood, Logstash's GUI was pretty ghetto.

Kibana is now the official UI as of 1.2.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
re: vCloud and View all working together with nested vSphere:

First things first:

Setup vCloud director to allow for a nested ESXi guest. You can find guidance here:

http://vxpertise.net/2013/03/nesting-esxi-on-esxi-5-1-in-vcloud-director-5-1/

On the next bit; you'll probably want to use port-group backed network isolation if you want to save yourself the trouble of doing some additional automation work. This is to make sure that vCloud director provisioned networks for your nested ESXi servers have MAC change, forged transmits and promiscuous mode enabled. Without these the nested ESXi hosts won't be able to talk to the network.

Regarding the view bit here's a couple blog posts I was looking at on the subject:
http://www.chriscolotti.us/vmware/running-vmware-view-pcoip-inside-vcloud-director-5-1/
http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=4889

The short of it is that it's absolutely possible but absolutely not easy.

I'm actually building this now for my internal labs specifically for a similar use case (workshops with customers to get time with the product without having to stand up something on site.)

As far as why I want to do this inside of vCloud I have few couple motivations:

1. lifecycle management. Nested ESXi servers are a drain on my resources, particularly in the memory and storage area. Workshops typically last 4 business days so I'm setting a 7 day lease to just kill the system. That's generally also enough time for other engineers to run "science experiments."

2. I can arbitrarily build however many networks I want without having to touch the physical network and also to completely isolate each instance of my nested hypervisor. This lets me just deal with host file entries inside the "fence" to find everything by virtue of reusing all of the same IP addresses inside the vApp. Using NAT to provide access to the internet and vShield to block all of the rest of the traffic.

3. Fast provisioning. vCloud director linked clones let me provision things very fast. Even though my nested vSphere servers have 1TB worth of datastores you can generally have the whole environment in <30 seconds. It's also similar to thin provisioning with respect to how storage is actually consumed.

4. Self service! Engineers/sales engineers and consultants can order as many of the environments as they need as quick as they need.

I've got most of it built so far except for the View bit. I'm actually waiting on my VDI folks to finish setting that up so we can deal with the "getting a view desktop inside a vApp" issue.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah the view bit of it is where I am hitting head to wall.

I just tore down my lab, new HW and Keys expired, but if you want to semi work together on some of it let me know. I got no problems sharing my "bugs n poo poo", notes, and lab resources.

Rebuilding the lab right now actually.

Also, If you aren't a VMUG memeber you might want to become one, there are some pretty cool advantages of being one.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 16, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah the view bit of it is where I am hitting head to wall.

I just tore down my lab, new HW and Keys expired, but if you want to semi work together on some of it let me know. I got no problems sharing my "bugs n poo poo", notes, and lab resources.

Rebuilding the lab right now actually.

Also, If you aren't a VMUG memeber you might want to become one, there are some pretty cool advantages of being one.

Does the 20% discount apply to the 5 day vsphere install configure manage course for the VCP cert?

EDIT: It does. That is pretty sweet. It is a little odd though that they list the cost for it as 4495 before discount when I have only seen the price of 3195. I hope that I can get 20% off of 3195.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 16, 2013

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
This may be an awfully dumb question, but I really don't do much with VM's, and I'm short on time to resolve this:

I run a Windows 7 Pro VM on my iMac with VMWare Fusion 5.0.1 as an isolated machine for web development work. I have a small project that needs to be done in about a week, but I am going on vacation in 2 days, and all I can take with me is my laptop that has Windows 8 on it.

Can I copy the VM image and run it on my Windows 8 laptop fine? Will I need to get my copy of VMWare fusion working on the laptop, or is there any other free (or close to free) software that I can use to run the VM image?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Grab player.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

You won't have all the cool features like snapshots, but it will run the VM just fine.

edit: Technically, I guess you should buy WS or Fusion Pro to get a commercial license of Player since you are using it for work.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 17, 2013

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

DevNull posted:

Grab player.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

You won't have all the cool features like snapshots, but it will run the VM just fine.

edit: Technically, I guess you should buy WS or Fusion Pro to get a commercial license of Player since you are using it for work.

For a part time diploma program actually, I don't think education falls under that same licensing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What's the best way to migrate a massive amount of data?

I have 1.4TB of data in a VM, and it needs to move from a west coast datacenter to the east coast. Wan links are 45mbit. I have all the goodies that come from VMware, Veeam, or external hdd and priority overnight shipping at our disposal.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
You can do a full backup to the external, then use the features of Veeam to replicate the changes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

You can do a full backup to the external, then use the CBT of Veeam to replicate the changes.
Has Veeam improved in this regard, or do you still have like a 50/50 chance of CBT failing randomly and failing back to a full backup instead of an incremental?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Has Veeam improved in this regard, or do you still have like a 50/50 chance of CBT failing randomly and failing back to a full backup instead of an incremental?

Actually dealing with a CBT issue for Veeam this morning :v: but this is the first reported issue with 6.5 I have had to deal with, so far 6.5 seems to be decent.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

skipdogg posted:

I have 1.4TB of data in a VM, and it needs to move from a west coast datacenter to the east coast. Wan links are 45mbit. I have all the goodies that come from VMware, Veeam, or external hdd and priority overnight shipping at our disposal.

How saturated is that 45mbit link already? I think using Veeam Zip for a one time backup to external then mailing it would be dead simple.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Moey posted:

How saturated is that 45mbit link already? I think using Veeam Zip for a one time backup to external then mailing it would be dead simple.

Probably averages at 10% util during most days.

The only problem is business is going to push back for any kind of major downtime which is going to make this tough. We could do it over the weekend probably, but 1.4TB over 45mbit will take ~75 hours in perfect conditions. It's a poo poo ton of SQL data though, so maybe it'll compress really well.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

skipdogg posted:

It's a poo poo ton of SQL data though, so maybe it'll compress really well.
What's a compressed SQL full backup like size-wise? Might be easier to backup the databases and restore them on the other side, using Veeam to move the rest of the VM.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

poo poo, 50/50? Have they improved that much?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Quick vCenter Licensing question:

Are there any license levels that allow you to simply hook up multiple, standalone clusters to a single vCenter server?

We have plans for three standalone VMware clusters running on vCenter Essentials kit (the cheap one), each running separate environments that don't really need any of the advanced management features. What I'm really looking for is the centralized management for security purposes.

Does VMware offer any vCenter licenses that would fit the bill, but at the same time not break the bank?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I don't believe the "cheap ones" support linked mode, I believe you need vCenter Standard Edition to where you can link clusters together.

Are they on a LAN or WAN.

Also, I don't believe vCenter Standard will manage Essentials licensing. You would need to upgrade to ESXi Standard and vCenter standard.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 17, 2013

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Man VMware really likes to rape my wallet :(

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

Man VMware really likes to rape my wallet :(

Yeah poo poo ain't always cheap. What does your network look like? Do you need a vCenter at every site?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
No, this is really just a "test" environment case, I just wanted to see if I could get around having to use three separate servers for vCenter for the three environments that I am building.

edit: If it wasn't clear, this is at a single site.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'm just a bit confused as to why you need 3 separate clusters for a single site? If you don't already own the hosts, why not utilize Resource Pools to carve out the needed resources for each environment of set of services/servers? You may have to jump the licensing up a bit but you'll most likely get it back in the TCO of fewer hosts, and features.

I could be just worn out after today but what I think you are going to do is 3x3 host clusters each with their own vCenter install? Correct?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 18, 2013

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.

skipdogg posted:

I just migrated 12tb of servers across the US using veeam. Run a full backup copy the backup files to an external and ship overnight.

Setup dfsr over the wan link for block replication.

Shutdown the vm and run another veeam backup to generate a differential. Be sure its not setup to make a full because of the once a week on this day setting. As soon as the backup finishes copy the catalog file and delta vbk to the dfs share which will start replicating. Import everything on the other side and run a restore.

I even did a few where I didnt bother with deltas and prestaged a restore using an active full from a few days before. When the maintenance window hit I shutdown the source vm and fired up the new one. Could only take this approach for less than 10 of the 65 servers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As far as licensing goes, there's no difference between 1 vCenter with 1 cluster and 1 vCenter and 3 clusters. So you need a Standard license for each host, and 1 vCenter license.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I noticed a lot of complaints about Citrix's bugginess and wanted to hear more perspectives on Citrix vs. VMWare vs. Hyper-V. Do you think the bugs and learning curve for Citrix make the other brands a better option overall (understanding that it varies with use cases)? Are there certain things about Citrix you like that the others don't have? Apologies for being vague, I'm trying to learn more about the underlying technology and the business and would rather hear a CIO's/user's opinion rather than read some industry analyst's.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Could someone who has integrated a VM environment with HP Systems Insight Manager point me to documentation on how to go about it? I can push a test alert from iLO to the SIM server and it alerts out to email fine. I can view the physical hosts in the inventory. I can view the extended hardware information via vSphere client connecting to vCenter Server. I can't get alerts when I degrade the power by unplugging a power supply etc.

I tried making an iLO account for the hosts that I put into SIM in Options>Power Management and into Options>Security>Credentials>System Credentials... as a sign in credential. I am thinking that this is the wrong tactic. Do I need to add a WBEM provider to vCenter? I was thinking/hoping there was a way to do this on the hardware level in iLO or something so that if there is a total failure of my SAN or something I would still get hardware alerts through iLO.

EDIT: I am pretty sure the G8 servers use iLO to push the alerts but I am using G7s in this project. I think I might have found the missing link and am installing Insight Control for VMware vCenter now on our SIM server.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 18, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
All EUC/VDI stuff is buggy. VMware View is no better from a polish standpoint than Citrix.

vSphere is leaps and bounds better than XenServer, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Funny thing I noticed with vSphere. There is probably (hopefully) a good reason for this but:

Memory Hot Add allows you to increase the memory pool of a guest OS while it is running. It is OS dependent but on Server 2008 R2 it works great apparently. It is off by default and CAN'T be toggled while the machine is running. So if you don't realize in advance that you might need this feature, you have to restart the guest anyway to enable it.