Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
So last night I was watching the trailer for the new Gran Turismo game and at one point they showed a KTM X-Bow and all I could picture for the rest of that presentation was Jeremy's ruined, soggy face at the end of his hell-commute in one. Hopefully you don't have to drive in the rain in the game. Or go around any corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Fucknag posted:

Already? Guess they got burnt out on the C apostrophe D.

To be fair, there was that whole thing about the breaks not working.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Considering what show this is, I think the breaks work just fine. :downsrim:

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Ecstatic posted:

Anything other than a Toyota 86 will be a huge let down.
A 40k euro car is hardly "reasonably priced".

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Fucknag posted:

Considering what show this is, I think the breaks work just fine. :downsrim:

...goddamn autocorrect :shepicide:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You know what, gently caress it, I want to see them spring for a Veyron. I understand it's very reasonably priced for what it is. :colbert:

Would be worth it just to see them desperately trying to keep Jimmy Carr from coming within 100 yards of it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Then Rowan Atkinson would crash it.

AzizAnstarmie
Dec 17, 2010
Health and safety would never allow them to buy a Veyron.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

golgo13sf posted:

Was just in Europe and saw one in real life, was like seeing the face of god

I currently live in Romania and see Dacia Logans and Sanderos on a daily basis. Horrible pieces of poo poo. The Sandero is pretty rare here though compared to the Logan.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jut posted:

I currently live in Romania and see Dacia Logans and Sanderos on a daily basis. Horrible pieces of poo poo. The Sandero is pretty rare here though compared to the Logan.

How are they horrible pieces of poo poo?

I got the impression that they were simple and straightforward, ie. not particularly sophisticated, but dependable and easy to service?

The current Logan estate is surprisingly non-ugly.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

KozmoNaut posted:

How are they horrible pieces of poo poo?

I got the impression that they were simple and straightforward, ie. not particularly sophisticated, but dependable and easy to service?

The current Logan estate is surprisingly non-ugly.

Ugh, just drive one, or just ride along in one and you will see.
If you want a washing machine, yea they will do just fine, if you want something comfortable, or fun, or with handling, buy something else.
They actually remind me of Kia from a decade ago.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So it's pretty decent for what it was made for? An inexpensive, dependable car built for transportation of people and their stuff?

Sounds like they got it absolutely right, then. Can't argue with the value for money if that's the kind of car you're looking for.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

KozmoNaut posted:

So it's pretty decent for what it was made for? An inexpensive, dependable car built for transportation of people and their stuff?

Sounds like they got it absolutely right, then. Can't argue with the value for money if that's the kind of car you're looking for.

It's a modern day communist car basically.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I how I wish we had a :romania: flag.

Oh well, I guess it's really :france:, anyway.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Jut posted:

It's a modern day communist car basically.

Hello other Romanian goon (not actually Romanian, just live here)
I've been in my share of Dacia taxis, I'd say they compare well with, say, early 2000's hyundais, especially given how they are ragged on by their drivers. lovely plastic interior, but what do you expect for that kind of money? That said I've never driven one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Who cares if they're crude, or basic? As long as they're honest about it, that's the thing. When cheap cars start getting aspirational, mimicking styles and features way above their price bracket, that's when it goes to poo poo.

A simple car that knows it's a simple car and concentrates on doing a competent job of basic requirements has an innate appeal of its own.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's why I was seriously considering getting one for the wife - a 7k car that spent its costs on being solid and simple is more use to me than an 8k car that tries to be fashionable and fancy and spent its costs on complicated tooling and electronic toys.

Then I think I can get a 520d wagon for 7k and regret it when something breaks drive a stonking great Beemer.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know what, gently caress it, I want to see them spring for a Veyron. I understand it's very reasonably priced for what it is. :colbert:

Would be worth it just to see them desperately trying to keep Jimmy Carr from coming within 100 yards of it.
They could get the Guinness record for "most times a car has flipped on film" back from the James Bond people if Jimmy Carr or Angelina Jolie Bill Bailey took it for a spin. I wonder if former Stig Ben Collins was the stunt driver for the Aston flippy crash.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 18, 2013

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Somebody please find me that gif of Clarkson flipping that 3-wheeled car over and over again

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Daric posted:

Somebody please find me that gif of Clarkson flipping that 3-wheeled car over and over again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Hahaha the gravestone is the best part

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

yaffle posted:

Hello other Romanian goon (not actually Romanian, just live here)
I've been in my share of Dacia taxis, I'd say they compare well with, say, early 2000's hyundais, especially given how they are ragged on by their drivers. lovely plastic interior, but what do you expect for that kind of money? That said I've never driven one.

Yep, early Hyundai/Kia sums it up perfectly. Not the kind of car any self respecting petrolhead would care to drive, but fine for Dorris down the road.
So you moved here too huh?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Daric posted:

Hahaha the gravestone is the best part

I beg to differ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8&t=186s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8&t=403s

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
I saw a reliant robin on my way home today. Yes, both sides were dented and scratched. Yes, so was the roof.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vindolanda posted:

I saw a reliant robin on my way home today. Yes, both sides were dented and scratched. Yes, so was the roof.

I can't believe those are allowed on the road. Given how strict the government seems there about vehicle safety and everything. It seems like faded paint can cause a MOT failure based on what I've seen from watching Wheeler Dealers.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

I can't believe those are allowed on the road. Given how strict the government seems there about vehicle safety and everything. It seems like faded paint can cause a MOT failure based on what I've seen from watching Wheeler Dealers.

Watching Wheeler Dealers teaches you minor repairs, and the fact that Mike is the least honest man in used cars.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Vindolanda posted:

Watching Wheeler Dealers teaches you minor repairs, and the fact that Mike is the least honest man in used cars.

But I'd watch Edd fix cars all day long

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

opengl128 posted:

But I'd watch Edd fix cars all day long

Edd feels like Mike's abused wife who does all the hard work and doesn't really get the credit. At the end of each episode I keep hoping Edd will find the strength to leave him.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

echoplex posted:

Edd feels like Mike's abused wife who does all the hard work and doesn't really get the credit. At the end of each episode I keep hoping Edd will find the strength to leave him.

I always feel bad for Edd at the end of each episode. In some of them he doesn't even get to drive the car he worked so hard on. :smith:

Then again, Paul doesn't seem to get much screen time or credit for his work either (holding things up for Edd, doing drudgery like sanding and blocking).

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I can't vouch for the other episodes, but their DeLorean one was pretty bad. The whole "best DeLorean in the country" was a bit of a joke given how rough it looked on camera, and the price is sold for was comically high. In fact I think that the agreed price on camera was a long way off the price actually paid.

Edd's definitely got enough personality to carry the show on his own (or team up with James May... that'd be great)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ed's an unsafe hack. It was funny when he was building comedy road legal sofas but he shouldn't be put in a position where people think what he does is a good example.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Ed's an unsafe hack. It was funny when he was building comedy road legal sofas but he shouldn't be put in a position where people think what he does is a good example.

That's the thing - not all the repairs are good, but I'd watch him talk about them. Having Mike's cheeky-cockney-chappie "spit on me hand and shake it, me old diamond, I can tell a man's character by the firmness of his handshake" schtick pisses me off. I'll only watch it if I tune in after the first bit that's all mike.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Crackin'

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
They do ave some crackin motors.

But yeah, I can't imagine a single person (whose last name wasn't Brewer) that would watch the show for Mike.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vindolanda posted:

You obviously haven't met many used car salesman, mike is probably the most honest man in used cars.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't it Myke?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's pronounced twat

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Now I really want to see you lot watch Chop Shop London Garage.

Mike Brewer is a pretty reasonable portrayal of a British used car dealer. The kind that you don't mind dealing with as long as they register you're not just another mark and treat you accordingly, but who you have no issue with stitching up entirely if they try the "one little old lady owner, just used it to go to pick up cans of Felix for Mr Frisky every Tuesday" bollocks.

Out car-dealering car dealers is one of life's little pleasures. I gave one of my friends a bit of coaching for going to buy her new car, and she kept up a solid "Heehee, I have boobies and I like red cars" performance right up until they sat her down to talk money, at which point she just took them off at the ankles, it was loving beautiful.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Now I really want to see you lot watch Chop Shop London Garage.

Leepu was loving hilarious.

God drat were those cars poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Leepu was loving hilarious.

God drat were those cars poo poo.

Their obsession with 12" wheel spacers will stick in my memory for ever more.