Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Citizen Rat posted:

Uh, no, they do not have short tails. Sounds like the girl has a mutant tail or someone for some incredibly hosed up reason decided to dock the tail of their malamute. I have no idea why they would do that. Maybe it got broken. Generally malamutes have curled tails like huskies that should curl over their backs when they are in a good mood.

Oh it wasn't nearly short enough to have been docked, I guess she's just a mutant. It's normal dog-straight for a foot or so, then has a twirl at the tip. It isn't obvious to look at, you'd only know if you ran a hand down her tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

PiratePing posted:

His youngest dog has learned from his (9 month old) baby that if you sit in people's laps you get attention and that throwing things on the floor makes people get up to pick them up and also give you more attention.

Buddy learned from our son, too! We have a baby gate between the kitchen and living room. Buddy noticed that if my husband or myself were on the opposite side of the baby, and the baby ran up to the gate and started crying, we would go pick him up and thus let him through. So for awhile, there, Buddy started making ACTUAL BABY CRYING NOISES while we were eating dinner and he wanted to come through. :stare: It was HILARIOUS.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

WolfensteinBag posted:

Buddy learned from our son, too! We have a baby gate between the kitchen and living room. Buddy noticed that if my husband or myself were on the opposite side of the baby, and the baby ran up to the gate and started crying, we would go pick him up and thus let him through. So for awhile, there, Buddy started making ACTUAL BABY CRYING NOISES while we were eating dinner and he wanted to come through. :stare: It was HILARIOUS.

Video's for real :) That sounds awesome!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I am going to picspam the bejesus out of this thread because on March 23rd, Nori turned a year old, and on May 23rd it marked one year since we took him in AND his brother Greyn's six month birthday. Lots o' good stuff brought back lots of memories or fuzzy brindled jerk puppies.

Nori, 8 weeks old:

Greyn, 8 weeks old (give or take a few days):

Quinn and Nori, May 2012:

Quinn and Nori, February 2013:

Nori and Greyn, December 2012 (Greyn was 4 weeks old):

Nori and Greyn, May 2013 (lord, what have we done?!):

Bonus update on the other prims in the family:
Greyn and Nori's sister Phoebe (formerly Chloe) is staying with my in-laws. First as a foster but now my mother-in-law doesn't want to give her up.

Ghost is still Ghost.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Happy belated birthday, half birthday and gotcha day, Nori and Greyn/Phoebe! :3:

Nori and Greyn wrestling is hilarious.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Nori is very handsome. :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Thank you :3:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Happy birthday brothers who look like twins :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Help! There is some kind of wild beast in my yard!

Oh wait, it must be a horse, look at it eating the grass!

Mmmm grass.

Or maybe a buffalo, look at those humped shoulders.

The wolf stalks his prey, preparing to give them The Dreaded Lick

Oh man eating grass is rough gotta rest up a bit

Wake me when it's time for dinner.

Careful Girl
Oct 15, 2012

The Money Cat can...
Everybody here has gorgeous dogs! :3:

TVs Ian posted:

Thank you :3:

This may be one of the prettiest smiling dog pics I have ever seen <3. What breed is this gorgeous pup? (sorry if someone has asked this before).

Aravenna: What breed is your wild beast? The Dreaded Lick surely sounds scary!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Careful Girl posted:

Everybody here has gorgeous dogs! :3:

This may be one of the prettiest smiling dog pics I have ever seen <3. What breed is this gorgeous pup? (sorry if someone has asked this before).

Aravenna: What breed is your wild beast? The Dreaded Lick surely sounds scary!

Nori's mom is a husky/chow mix and his dad is a husky. He is a great dog. His brother, on the other hand, is an rear end in a top hat.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle's a mutt, the rescue thinks he's Malamute x Shepherd, but clearly something else with floppy ears and less energy is in there too. His personality is more like a Malamute though so the stories and advice in this thread have been really helpful, thanks everyone! If anyone reading this thread thinks a primitive personality sounds neat but can't deal with the high energy, a mix can be a great way to go because Quaffle does fine on a two mile walk a day and doesn't have any interest in digging or jumping over the fence, but still has that great "YOU AREN'T THE BOSS OF ME oh wait maybe I will do what you want for a piece of cheese" attitude.

Careful Girl
Oct 15, 2012

The Money Cat can...
Thanks to both for answering :)

Aravenna posted:

Quaffle's a mutt, the rescue thinks he's Malamute x Shepherd, but clearly something else with floppy ears and less energy is in there too. His personality is more like a Malamute though so the stories and advice in this thread have been really helpful, thanks everyone! If anyone reading this thread thinks a primitive personality sounds neat but can't deal with the high energy, a mix can be a great way to go because Quaffle does fine on a two mile walk a day and doesn't have any interest in digging or jumping over the fence, but still has that great "YOU AREN'T THE BOSS OF ME oh wait maybe I will do what you want for a piece of cheese" attitude.

That's some interesting advice. My fianceé and I will be getting a dog when we move in together, and we are considering a primitive breed. However, we have not yet agreed on which one we prefer, although we will probably be getting a Husky or Malamute. A cross breed was in our minds, but we were not sure whether it would be a good idea . But after reading your advice, we are giving some thought to the idea of a cross breed (especially considering we are not that active).

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
It's been two pages since I've posted pictures, that's enough... right?

Our six month adoption anniversary was mid-May. I really can't imagine life without this pup. Strange how that works. Before we adopted him, I didn't understand why this thread was titled what it was, but I know now. However, I wouldn't change a thing. I think I was meant for primitive breeds.

(Again, sorry a lot of these are Instagram, but we just got cell phones (iPhones nonetheless) two months ago, so... there.)

This was at the beginning of May when we still had snow. I have some videos on my phone of him rolling around in the snow, I have to figure out how to get it on the internet. It's very cute, I can assure you.

Walking into the sunset.

This was at the end of April, we were watching a ship come through the harbor, and even though we live about a mile away from the harbor I forgot just how loud ship horns are when they go through the canal. Well, they blew the horn, and it startled Goliath so bad that he took off running and literally dragged my body fifty feet over ice and snow before slowing down. He's a very strong dog. Someone took my picture too... Embarrassing.

Taking it all in. From two weeks ago. (Someone hasn't lost their winter coat yet!)

Edit to add: Compare that luscious coat to the fur he had when we adopted him in November! He weighs nearly the same in both pictures. Don't mind our gross kitchen.

This is from a few days ago. It was finally warm enough to go outside without a jacket, but since Goliath still has all his winter hair, he got pretty hot and had to cool down in the creek. We were at this particular shore for about twenty minutes while he went in and out, in and out.

Question: What do you folks do for tick protection when you have a super hairy dog? Spring has literally just sprung this week, and we need to figure out a tick plan pretty quick. I've never owned a dog before so I'm very much in the dark, and Google can only do so much. Goon opinions and experience matter far more than an internet search.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 11, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Koivunen posted:

This was at the end of April, we were watching a ship come through the harbor, and even though we live about a mile away from the harbor I forgot just how loud ship horns are when they go through the canal. Well, they blew the horn, and it startled Goliath so bad that he took off running and literally dragged my body fifty feet over ice and snow before slowing down. He's a very strong dog. Someone took my picture too... Embarrassing.

Oh my god, did you get them to send you the picture?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

SynthOrange posted:

Oh my god, did you get them to send you the picture?

Unfortunately no. They were taking photos of the ship that came through the canal that day with a "real" camera and I didn't want to disturb their photography mission. Many ships go through the canal every day, but I went down there with the pup because the blizzard had finally stopped and I had just got off a night shift, and sometimes I try to be creative with my tiny little Sony camera.

This was (part of) the ship, if anyone is interested.

And the fairly unusual sunrise that made me want to go to the harbor in the first place.

I've forgotten if I've posted this before or not, but my Malamute and my Malamute-cat (both adopted last year) are best friends. They don't particularly care for flash photography, hence the title of this masterpiece, "Drunk Pets."

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Behold the magnificent samoyed :3:

As of a week ago he's turned into a teenager worthy of multiple ASBOs and has reached the stage where he generally doesn't need us as much anymore and everything else is more fun.

We even won a rosette for "Most challenging puppy" when we finished puppy classes last week! I persevere with him on the training though so he'll hopefully retain some knowledge when he reaches the other side!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
So I just gave penny a bath and it's breezy outside. After an hour of force blowing and brushing I gave up and tried to clean up the hair I had already pulled off her. I gave her dinner outside and when I went to check on her just now the breeze was blowing around a tornado of hair.

AAAAHHHHH SO MUCH HAIR WHEN WILL IT STOP?!

OK I'm done. I just need to complain about that every so often. :)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Hdip posted:

So I just gave penny a bath and it's breezy outside. After an hour of force blowing and brushing I gave up and tried to clean up the hair I had already pulled off her. I gave her dinner outside and when I went to check on her just now the breeze was blowing around a tornado of hair.

AAAAHHHHH SO MUCH HAIR WHEN WILL IT STOP?!

OK I'm done. I just need to complain about that every so often. :)

See this?

This is dissolving in to tufts of undercoat as we speak and may be gone on the wind like a dandelion by sunset.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Artie's not losing his coat yet, well individual hairs float in the air and are appearing in every meal we eat, but even when I give him a good brush no clumps of fur are coming out yet :( I want to get it over and done with!

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Would a corgi be a good match for a husky? My roommate-to-be really wants one, and I already have a particularly energetic dog who really likes to play and won't take no for an answer, especially from another dog. I'm just worried that our husky would endlessly bully and harass any new dog that didn't have the assertiveness to tell her "No, I don't want to play right now, go away".

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

TwoQuestions posted:

Would a corgi be a good match for a husky? My roommate-to-be really wants one, and I already have a particularly energetic dog who really likes to play and won't take no for an answer, especially from another dog. I'm just worried that our husky would endlessly bully and harass any new dog that didn't have the assertiveness to tell her "No, I don't want to play right now, go away".

I think a Corgi would do just fine with a Husky. My herder looooves how Huskies play, but Huskies are known to be jerks and not all dogs take well to what they consider "play". Corgis are generally pretty assertive if pushed.

90% of the Corgis I know have some pretty serious health and soundness issues, and I don't think I could ever get one for that reason. Hope your roommate has some extra money burning a hole in his/her pocket, just in case.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

TwoQuestions posted:

Sitka is best friends with a corgi and he has absolutely no trouble telling her off when she's being a pushy bitch. The only problem is watching the corgi's rather delicate back when they tussle.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Citizen Rat posted:

Sitka is best friends with a corgi and he has absolutely no trouble telling her off when she's being a pushy bitch. The only problem is watching the corgi's rather delicate back when they tussle.

My dog knows to be more gentle to smaller dogs, and she lets up when she thinks she's hurting the other dog. It's just that she's tough as nails, and doesn't understand that every other dog isn't as tough as she is.

Of course we won't be getting another dog until we all know they get along well, and my dog is at her most crazy/pushy when she first meets a new dog. Here's hoping they get along!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Zenithbliss posted:

Behold the magnificent samoyed :3:

As of a week ago he's turned into a teenager worthy of multiple ASBOs and has reached the stage where he generally doesn't need us as much anymore and everything else is more fun.

We even won a rosette for "Most challenging puppy" when we finished puppy classes last week! I persevere with him on the training though so he'll hopefully retain some knowledge when he reaches the other side!

my god

it's made of fluff

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I can't loving handle this video, it's a bunch of chows hurling their fluffy bodies at each other in the snow. There's a puppy too.

Look at these goddamn flooflords:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Z4Smvs6nE
:kimchi:

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

I can't loving handle this video, it's a bunch of chows hurling their fluffy bodies at each other in the snow. There's a puppy too.

So cute!! You know, I could care less about having kids, but seeing chow puppies just has me begging the boyfriend to get another one every time, haha. :byodame:

Anyways, I don't know if you guys would find these as funny as I do but I thought I'd post. I commissioned my sister for a couple of paintings of our chow Mugen.

King Mugen the VIII.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Those paintings are AMAZING. He looks so majestic.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
How much exercise do Shibas and Akitas require? I love the look of them, but I couldn't handle a real high-energy dog.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Don't get a primitive breed. They don't really come in the form of low-energy. I think the lowest is maybe Chows? But even they have a higher energy drives than, say, a Greyhound. (On the other hand, there might be rugs with a higher energy drive than a Greyhound.)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

I love how the pup and the black one are derping out and the big orange guy's all "I am professionally embarrassed by you" until he shakes himself at the end and turns into a koosh ball

How can these dogs even be real.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

How much exercise do Shibas and Akitas require? I love the look of them, but I couldn't handle a real high-energy dog.

I had an Akita when I was a child. She was a backyard dog (I know :( )that I took on occasional walks to a park. Seko had to stay on leash at all times, because of the whole "laughing while giving the finger" thing primitives do. She would happily jog behind a truck when we were puttering around looking for grouse (this was obv offleash), and she was also ok with exploring a park on leash with a kid.

My anecdote: Akitas need as much exercise as any large dog, on the easier end of the spectrum. I would say at least 2 x half hour walk a day, plus some off-leash time in a secure yard, when the dog is a mature adult.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Artie's pretty low energy which surprised me after what I researched for, but he is only 6 months and has the thickest coat ever even though its summer.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
The time not spent walking him is spent brushing him so it evens out :)

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Zenithbliss posted:

Artie's pretty low energy which surprised me after what I researched for, but he is only 6 months and has the thickest coat ever even though its summer.

Man, you posting about Artie all the time is making me really want a Samoyed. So far the only reason I've resisted is because 3 cats and 2 dogs is edging into pet hoarder territory and the fact that dealing with two dogs with Sitka's energy levels would kill me.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Zenithbliss posted:

Low energy? I thought you said he was having major puppy problems?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Citizen Rat posted:

Don't get a primitive breed. They don't really come in the form of low-energy. I think the lowest is maybe Chows? But even they have a higher energy drives than, say, a Greyhound. (On the other hand, there might be rugs with a higher energy drive than a Greyhound.)
Well, my mom has a Chow and that dog is pretty low-energy. She wants to be walked once a day, but that's about it. I'm familiar with Chows, I like them, I like their personalities, but Akitas and Shibas are so dang pretty that I was wondering about them too.

Avshalom posted:

I love how the pup and the black one are derping out and the big orange guy's all "I am professionally embarrassed by you" until he shakes himself at the end and turns into a koosh ball

How can these dogs even be real.
Other dogs, when playing, will mouth at each other or whatever. These dogs are just slamming their round bodies into one another. Floof floof floof. I also like how the puppy is basically a sphere with feet and how nobody comes when called. :keke:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 18, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My old family chow was basically that big old orange one. Stoic as hell, could stand there like a statue and be so aloof. :3:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Citizen Rat posted:

Man, you posting about Artie all the time is making me really want a Samoyed. So far the only reason I've resisted is because 3 cats and 2 dogs is edging into pet hoarder territory

Do it and get one, we currently have 7 cats and puppy and things are ok.

Hdip I brush him every few days but when he starts moulting that'll go up to every ten minutes haha.

Petey, after lots of tests the vets think I've been lucky and that he's ok but we have to go back for repeated blood & urine tests to be safe. She blames his extreme thirst and urination on his very thick coat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Sun

Spiders?

Stubbs. (Who still looks like a fatty despite having been on a diet and actually losing weight. I blame the stumpylegs and barrel chest. :colbert:)

A couple of Youtube links of his prancing for good measure. The bark lining in the back yard is getting pulled up in a couple of weeks so we're letting them enjoy thrashing it for now.

Aside from that I'm in the middle of sorting out arrangements for transporting him from England to Texas with me in a few months when I move and ugh I am so nervous about flying him. I couldn't care less if all of my stuff gets lost or damaged in transit, I just want my dog to arrive in one piece without too much stress. The length of his ears means that he needs a custom crate to be built to accommodate his height... taping his ears to his head would be cool, right? :saddowns:

• Locked thread