Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Vasudus posted:

Well don't let it discourage you completely, just consider your options. Do you want to give a fairly significant amount of time to something that really doesn't benefit you at all for future career prospects? It's okay if you just want to do something for the prospect of it being cool, that's what a lot of us did when we first enlisted. But there are plenty of other jobs (see: anything in intelligence/signals) that let you play military AND give you a clearance + useful skills.

I have no real desire to "play military" and would solely be doing this for the 'cool factor', which would be chemicals, etc. Financially there's no point in doing it either as I have no student loans, etc. I just want to play with chemicals as an undergrad that my schools Chem. dept. won't let me touch :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I have no real desire to "play military" and would solely be doing this for the 'cool factor', which would be chemicals, etc. Financially there's no point in doing it either as I have no student loans, etc. I just want to play with chemicals as an undergrad that my schools Chem. dept. won't let me touch :science:

Yeah uh, enlisting CBRN probably won't help you accomplish that. I think you do a gas chamber with a live agent one time, but that's Army and I don't know what the Marines do with it. But playing with chemicals beyond decon stuff will probably never happen, and even your decon chemicals will probably be inert for training purposes.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Believe me playing with chemicals is not cool. It is literally the scariest thing in the world and that is coming from me.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Marines are supposed to regularly requalify on the gas chamber (maybe annually? And I think it's for all jobs but maaaaybe just infantry or combat arms). Either way, everybody does it at least once- in bootcamp.

The only CBRN guys I ever saw during a workday (aside from the handful working the chambers all of the two times I was in one) was for canister exchange- they receive 100's of canisters and dole out 100's of canisters. Looked like a big ol' book-keeping butt-ache.

Beyond that I'm with everyone else saying that it instinctively sounds like a bad deal for you considering you sound like you're content and/or doing well with college.

edit: I'd be interested to hear how often they deploy and how frequently they get to investigate IEDs. We would get briefed on insurgents' half-assed past attempts at creating chemical IEDs but I don't recall ever hearing of one during my time in either Afghanistan or Iraq. I'm guessing a deployment for CBRN is boring and easy at best, or miserable and boring (see Momma Dawg) at worst.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 18, 2013

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just remember that when you choose something like CBRN, that the military saps alllll the fun out of even the coolest poo poo.

Blowing poo poo up? Well, we need a range that requires support, EOD, a memo to the AHA, requests to the arms room a month ahead of time, blah blah. Then you will sit there for 3 hours doing nothing, all to blow up one thing, and then spend the next 3 days cleaning everything and signing it all back in. And if you were on some detail you probably didn't even get to do whatever training you were supposed to.

You wanna work with chemicals? Well, you will probably actually work with chemicals once every six months at best. Your training will consist of "pretending" there are chemicals, and cleaning up imaginary chemicals. All the cool poo poo that you could've possibly done has all been contracted out to civilians and they will treat you like a piece of poo poo because the military was harder back in their day.

Doing cool poo poo is generally not a good reason to join up, because you will do no cool poo poo.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

TheJukku posted:

So I'm planning on hitting the navy recruiters to enlist soon, because I have buddies who did it encouraging me and I've always been kind of into this poo poo (hi 4 years of JROTC!), just had family discouraging me. 23 Years of age, clean criminal record and not much on my medical history, but not much of any employment history to speak of (a short while of college before my financial support broke down, followed by nearly 2 years of trying to find a drat job here in bumfuck rust belt land and pussyfooting around). I'd really like to get into ELINT type stuff or anything EW related, though I'm not choosy about what I get into. About what are my odds of getting in and geting into what I want to?

I can't really speak to the availabilty of those particular jobs (we call them "rates" in the Navy) you want, but as far as I know the Navy is wide open these days in terms of advancement and career opportunities.

It all depends on how long you are willing to wait for certain available jobs; don't let anyone talk you into anything you aren't sure you wouldn't be happy (or at least tolerant) of doing for four to six years. If you have any questions, pop over into the Navy thread, there are pleanty of guys there who are knowledgeable about the rates you are interested in.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Marine Corps CBRN officers are warrant officers. So if this field is something you really want to go into, you are going to have to enlist.

Back before OEF/OIF kicked off, CBRN guys did some actual training and doctrinally, there was a place for CBRN Marines and plans made to counter chemical or biological attacks. That all changed after the initial invasion of Iraq back in 2003. Once the conventional warfare model was no longer being used, CBRN became synonymous with S-3 clerk or in the case of the CBRN officers, S-3A or Current Operations Officer.

What does this mean to you, the prospective CBRN Marine? It means that there is not another MOS in the Marine Corps that I've seen do their job less than CBRN. Seriously, 51 weeks of the year CBRN guys are doing basic clerk poo poo in the S-3. One week out of the year they get to wear MOPP gear while burning CS capsules with a propane stove. That is quite literally likely the only time you will ever do anything remotely related to your field.

Sure, you might go to the air wing or some poo poo instead of an infantry battalion. Now just replace burning CS capsules with wiping down aircraft with charcoal decontamination poo poo...seriously, that's about as sexy as it gets.

My advice is to stay as far away from the CBRN field as you can. I've never met someone in the field that didn't regret going down the path.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 18, 2013

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Keep in mind the military can suck the fun out of shooting really big guns and blowing poo poo up. The mountains of retarded poo poo that get piled on top of them will turn those exact activities into a gigantic pain in the dick that you get sick of even thinking about and hate with a fiery burning passion. Everyone here can rattle off at least two or three stories of, "Yeah we have to go out and do XYZ and god dammit I don't want to waste the time."

Now imagine how much worse it is in a full body condom during 100 degree weather, sucking wind through a charcoal filter.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Believe me playing with chemicals is not cool. It is literally the scariest thing in the world and that is coming from me.

I have a friend who is a PhD chemist working for an industrial group here. The stories I hear about what those chemicals could do if he makes a big enough of a mistake are just shocking to me.,,,

...and I have had to work with mCi Cobalt-60 sources before.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
So I'm trying to join the Navy, and I did well on the ASVAB and passed all my physical stuff at MEPS, the only thing that's holding me up apparently is my tattoo. It's an image of Prometheus, and even though you can't see anything other than his side they are saying my tattoo waiver can't be approved due to nudity. On the thing they gave my recruiter they said if I put some clothes on my tattoo they'll reevaluate it. Would it even be worth the $50 dollars to have someone slap some pants on real quick, or are they basically set on not letting me in at this point? I don't mind altering my tattoo at all, but it just seems like such a minor thing, I don't want to waste anymore time and money if it won't actually give me a chance of getting in.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It's stupid military rules. Yes, if you put some jorts on him it will most likely be okay. Just to make sure I'd check the regs on tattoos to make sure there's nothing else about him like size or whatever.

The military is really dumb about things like this.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

So I'm trying to join the Navy, and I did well on the ASVAB and passed all my physical stuff at MEPS, the only thing that's holding me up apparently is my tattoo. It's an image of Prometheus, and even though you can't see anything other than his side they are saying my tattoo waiver can't be approved due to nudity. On the thing they gave my recruiter they said if I put some clothes on my tattoo they'll reevaluate it. Would it even be worth the $50 dollars to have someone slap some pants on real quick, or are they basically set on not letting me in at this point? I don't mind altering my tattoo at all, but it just seems like such a minor thing, I don't want to waste anymore time and money if it won't actually give me a chance of getting in.

Where's the tattoo located? Can you post a picture of it? I'm AF but I've known guys with tattoos with like titties on them and stuff, they just weren't visible in uniform.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
It's on the left side of my chest, and it's about 4 inches x 4 inches. Nothing is visible when I'm wearing a shirt. I'll post a picture when I get home from work. Thanks

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

not caring here posted:

put some jorts on him

Do this!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

As a Marine Corps recruiter I dealt with things like this often. Putting clothes on a tattoo that shows nudity often worked. However, as was stated above, I'd check with recruiter man before you go loving up a tattoo in an attempt to get in.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Hekk posted:

As a Marine Corps recruiter I dealt with things like this often. Putting clothes on a tattoo that shows nudity often worked. However, as was stated above, I'd check with recruiter man before you go loving up a tattoo in an attempt to get in.

Thanks for the help. I talked to him today and he said as far as he knows the tattoo 'nudity' is the only problem. He said getting clothes put on wouldn't guarantee I get in though, so I guess I'm just going to throw some cutoff jorts and a Slayer shirt on Prometheus and hope for the best. It isn't like an amazing tattoo or anything, so it's not like I could gently caress it up any worse. Money is just really tight these days, and it is really going to hurt if they find some other reason to keep me out after this and I realize I just wasted $50.

Rough Lobster posted:

Where's the tattoo located? Can you post a picture of it? I'm AF but I've known guys with tattoos with like titties on them and stuff, they just weren't visible in uniform.

Here's the image my tattoo was copied from. :nws: according to the Navy: http://imgur.com/crtdcs4

Flyin Jim Elbows fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 19, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SumYungGui posted:

Keep in mind the military can suck the fun out of shooting really big guns and blowing poo poo up. The mountains of retarded poo poo that get piled on top of them will turn those exact activities into a gigantic pain in the dick that you get sick of even thinking about and hate with a fiery burning passion. Everyone here can rattle off at least two or three stories of, "Yeah we have to go out and do XYZ and god dammit I don't want to waste the time."

Now imagine how much worse it is in a full body condom during 100 degree weather, sucking wind through a charcoal filter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373573&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post386760398

I spent a while searching for this, it's from one of the civilian threads from a long time ago, but it holds true even to this day

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Here's the image my tattoo was copied from. :nws: according to the Navy: http://imgur.com/crtdcs4

hahaha thats ridiculous

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Yeah it is, me and recruiter dude have been laughing about it. It really sucks that I'm getting held up because of this, but the situation is just so loving absurd that I have to laugh about it :bang:

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373573&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post386760398

I spent a while searching for this, it's from one of the civilian threads from a long time ago, but it holds true even to this day

Every time I read this I die laughing. It's hilarious.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Victor Vermis posted:

Marines are supposed to regularly requalify on the gas chamber (maybe annually? And I think it's for all jobs but maaaaybe just infantry or combat arms). Either way, everybody does it at least once- in bootcamp.

Different kind of gas chamber. That's just CS. Army CBRN does a chamber run at...FLW (I think) with no poo poo live chemical agents. Like you're MOPP'd up in a chamber and someone comes in and releases some VX or Sarin or whatever. I'm pretty sure that there's other services that come to the same schoolhouse for the gas chamber, but regardless Iseeyouseemeseeyou don't do CBRN.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Thanks for the help. I talked to him today and he said as far as he knows the tattoo 'nudity' is the only problem. He said getting clothes put on wouldn't guarantee I get in though, so I guess I'm just going to throw some cutoff jorts and a Slayer shirt on Prometheus and hope for the best. It isn't like an amazing tattoo or anything, so it's not like I could gently caress it up any worse. Money is just really tight these days, and it is really going to hurt if they find some other reason to keep me out after this and I realize I just wasted $50.

gently caress the navy man, don't get that messed up just for some years as a government indentured servant. I've seen dudes with dicks tit loving girls on their backs, one guy even had a "gently caress the Police" tat on his bicep with a dick going through a donut into a pig's rear end. Yours isn't nearly half as bad as those.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

I personally want to commend you for wishing to serve your nation in a time of war.

With that said, as a now (relatively) old vet could I ask a favor of you, the soon to be (relatively) young vet?

Could you please put jean shorts on Prometheus, with your previously mentioned Slayer shirt, however I request that the shirt be sleeveless. Additionally, could you please put an ironic trucker cap on him and leave the bill straightened? "USA Back 2 Back World War Champs" is a classic, but I'm flexible.

Or, if your really feeling patriotic and your Prometheus Tattoo is identical to the image you posted, could you get a decent tattoo artist just make it look like jorts/shirt/hat Prometheus is pimp riding in the most enlisted of enlisted cars a totally cherry 2014 Ford Mustan w/ rims?

No poo poo I'll pay for the above redesign and tattooing. I'll even throw in some side scratch, I know times are tough. As well I will personally procure you at a minimum at least 5 letters of recommendation from honorably discharged veterans supporting your efforts to join should you need them. If you white trash up Prometheus and put him in an enlisted mobile you'll pretty much be the coolest dude ever.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

if you put jorts on your tattoo along with other assorted enlisted paraphernalia i will personally throw in money with shim

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Tattoo guy is just gonna hit it with some shading tomorrow. It'll be really cheap and quick just to get the job done. One day I'll go back and get everything you guys have suggested to remind myself of this really weird point in my life

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

One day I'll go back and get everything you guys have suggested to remind myself of this really weird point in my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

They care about tattoos that aren't visible in shirt/shorts? Huh? I'd understand a swastika or something but lo

Some dudes got sleeve tattoos and are getting NJP'd, heh

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

They care about tattoos that aren't visible in shirt/shorts? Huh? I'd understand a swastika or something but lo

NJP'd? The gently caress? hahahahaha.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The surge era was really weird with regards to tatoo's..

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Wow. Back in 07 one of my sailors got sleeves and I just asked her where she got it done because it was really awesome work.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Wow. Back in 07 one of my sailors got sleeves and I just asked her where she got it done because it was really awesome work.

If only this was the only thing that occurred when someone showed up with sweet rear end tats. Hell, if we could grow beards that would be great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The upper enlisted was fine with it (they all have some sort of forearm tat) but the nobles had to go and tattle and push it up the chain

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Christoff posted:

The upper enlisted was fine with it (they all have some sort of forearm tat) but the nobles had to go and tattle and push it up the chain

What a bunch of shitheads.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MancXVI posted:

What a bunch of shitheads.

They're just ensuring that the enlisted have quality leadership [kicked the gently caress out that is].

Personally I think we should be a bunch of bearded, tatted up motherfuckers. Maybe terrorists would think twice if they saw the transition between unbearded children to viking-looking baby killers the military turned us into before whatever the hell pony show we find ourselves drifting into took power.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

They're just ensuring that the enlisted have quality leadership [kicked the gently caress out that is].

Personally I think we should be a bunch of bearded, tatted up motherfuckers. Maybe terrorists would think twice if they saw the transition between unbearded children to viking-looking baby killers the military turned us into before whatever the hell pony show we find ourselves drifting into took power.

Reminds me of this:
http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/05/army-determined-to-eliminate-all-operational-memory-of-war-on-terror/

edit: like seriously, why are your :chiefsay: even tolerating that level of bullshit? is there no voice of reason there? i know it's the navy and all, but gently caress.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nah they're Marines

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I got a few visable tattoos while I was in and no one ever hosed with me except one chief who was on everyones poo poo list. So this idea that a tattoo under a shirt would prevent enlistment is really weird.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
People are actually getting punished for getting sleeves now? I thought everyone backed off on that whole thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Marines man. Can't have anything visible in PT gear you can't cover with your hand. I think the Navy is the same policy but no one cares.

Pretty sure you can't go from enlisted to OCS with any arm tats too unless you were grandfathered or something.

Still blows my mind that you're having issues for something on your loving chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Marines man. Can't have anything visible in PT gear you can't cover with your hand. I think the Navy is the same policy but no one cares.

Pretty sure you can't go from enlisted to OCS with any arm tats too unless you were grandfathered or something.

Still blows my mind that you're having issues for something on your loving chest.

IIRC, Navy policy is "not visible in dress uniform" which has long sleeves.

• Locked thread