Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Don't give them any ideas, I can already see it now:

Introducing the Ouya Surprise(tm)! For the low low price of $99.99 we'll ship you one of 3 different versions of Ouya and one of 2 different controllers! Will you get the "dev console" or the amazing wifi blocking vanilla one? Who knows! The combinations are endless, you'll have to collect 'em all to find one that actually works!

You joke but spending $100 with a 66% chance of getting a console with broken wifi is way better than spending $100 with a 100% chance of broken wifi. As it is now, you might say you have maximum chance at broken wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inspector_71 posted:

Doesn't something being a "beta" also take a lot of legally mandated support stuff off the table? I always heard that as the reason for Google apps being in beta in perpetuity.

There's no such thing as "beta" from a legal standpoint, you could just as well release a finished project and have part of the terms of service be that you don't support it whatsoever. I guess "beta" could be interpreted as a colloquialism for "this has no support" because that sounds better. The legally mandated stuff is just what you agree to by contract, there's no legal mandates on software support AFAIK. You can sell software "as-is", you just have to mention such in the EULA and whatnot.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

That would be just LOVELY if they hadn't literally advertised "Hackers welcome".

"Hackers welcome to try, but if you screw anything up you've voided your warranty and we're not going to fix it" is the policy of every other piece of hardware in the world, so it's pretty irritating that they act like they're more friendly.

They still haven't realized that "really wanting to be a certain way" or "saying we will be a certain way" doesn't make you that way.

Funny you should mention that.

quote:

Add me to the list. If this hadn't been marketed as an open, hackable platform then I would've just bought one of the many "android-on-a-stick" or nettop devices running stock Android. As it stands, the amount of headaches that seem to be involved with android dev on this device have led me to barely use it.

I can see the appeal of Ouya over "android-on-a-stick" - as in: "if I don't like the hardware, I'm free to exchange parts a'la Raspberry way, but better" and this way of hackability, I guess, would be indeed voiding the warranty (as a side note - if you like assembling your machine, why not go for PC). But we're talking about software modification, which has no reason to not be easily reversible. Grr, I need to stop obsessing (and overthinking) why this device exists.

I always thought of beta products as - this is it, it's finished, have a go, we have thought of everything you might use it for, but we're not omniscient - you might do something we've not thought of, or have data that we've not tested with; we'll also implement stuff if it's sensible / smart / makes life easier. I'd guess the code is more fluid than in finished finished product, though if it was so, there wouldn't be no bug fixes. And Dota2 won't go out of beta until all the heroes have been implemented (come on Techies!)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Zaphod42 posted:

There's no such thing as "beta" from a legal standpoint, you could just as well release a finished project and have part of the terms of service be that you don't support it whatsoever. I guess "beta" could be interpreted as a colloquialism for "this has no support" because that sounds better. The legally mandated stuff is just what you agree to by contract, there's no legal mandates on software support AFAIK. You can sell software "as-is", you just have to mention such in the EULA and whatnot.

Selling something as-is isn't a thing in EU law afaik. You also have to live up to your commercials like the ones with bold claims of actually doing something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

eithedog posted:

This deserves more love.

Relevant thread for more fun!

TL;DR - if anybody screws their system up, it's not possible to do anything with it, without having USB keyboard to crash the startup. It's not an issue due to "user error".

Well - if I were to buy a car, and if I replaced the engine, and if I were to see it's not working, I'd, I guess, put the original engine back on? In this, broken, analogy, the new engine has exploded sending parts flying everywhere. On the other hand - I do see the point he's trying to make, though even on Windows, if I screw something up I *can* install a fresh copy and am not left with useless piece of junk.

At least, I understand the "openness" of Ouya. It refers to how they leave the definitions of everything they say "open" to interpretation, and "open" for redefinition when the interpretations don't match up to what they want them to be.

OUYA.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Here's a more recent quote from the Big Boss herself:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/09/ouya-closes-15-million-in-funding-led-by-kleiner-perkins-boasts-12000-game-developer-sign-ups/

It's more Fun With Words Starring Julie 'Marketing Bollocks' Uhrman. It 'essentially' breaks even? What the gently caress does that mean. Either it does, or it doesn't, and if you're trying to fudge that it suggests that it actually isn't breaking even.

Yeah, okay, so they're totally losing money per console when you factor in manufacturing and logistics. Note that even Muffi Ghadiali only says that the console can be made for under $100, not that OUYA's actually managing to do that.

If you're talking about the long-term health of the console, it's not unreasonable to temporarily ignore some of the up-front costs like hardware/software R&D; obviously you want to pay your investors back, but it's understood that that'll take time in a startup. But if they're actually bleeding a little just to get the console to users, and they're relying on their 30% cut of software sales, then they're just burning money for the indefinite future. Most of the games unlock for about $5, right? So if they're losing $10 per console (hey, it's possible), they need an attach rate of around 6 games/console to break even. Which seems pretty unlikely, but hey, maybe the people who bought OUYAs and didn't immediately post depressing "why did I even buy this" unboxing videos to YouTube are really dedicated to supporting the developer base.

So if we magically assume that they're breaking even per console sold (a very magical assumption indeed), and that they haven't sold enough dev consoles to make a dent, then they're purely burning through capital now. There's a picture from late May on their Facebook page entitled "OUYA Employees" with 20 different people in it, but it doesn't seem to include everyone — e.g. the picture is only apparently men, but their press contact is named Abby, so... We also don't know how many of them are full-time (or interns), but they're in SF and apparently paying salaries with a range of $70-130k, so let's estimate their payroll costs at about $4 million a year, which is fairly conservative. Some of those employees will have been recent hires, but still, they've almost certainly burnt through at least $2 million in payroll. They're currently in production for a retail release, which means they're making a ton of consoles which will, at best, all be sold at an even larger loss because the stores will take a cut, enough that even a magical attach rate will not save them from losing on the endeavor.

So let's see. We're all assuming that some amount of the $15 million was required in order to even finish production on the Kickstarter OUYAs; assume for the sake of argument that it's $2 million to cover the last year of payroll. Let's say they're making another $5 million worth is going into the retail production run. Assuming that OUYA 2 releases next summer, they'll spend at least $4 million in payroll until then. Let's handwave random other business overheads (office space, accounting, legal advice, having another hilarious party at E3, etc.) at $1 million; and as I understand it, non-payroll taxes should be pretty negligible because they're operating at a serious net loss.

It is really difficult to imagine them being able to fund the actual production of the OUYA 2 without either selling out the retail release (and seeing a very good attach rate there) or receiving a major new infusion of cash.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, okay, so they're totally losing money per console when you factor in manufacturing and logistics. Note that even Muffi Ghadiali only says that the console can be made for under $100, not that OUYA's actually managing to do that.

If you're talking about the long-term health of the console, it's not unreasonable to temporarily ignore some of the up-front costs like hardware/software R&D; obviously you want to pay your investors back, but it's understood that that'll take time in a startup. But if they're actually bleeding a little just to get the console to users, and they're relying on their 30% cut of software sales, then they're just burning money for the indefinite future. Most of the games unlock for about $5, right? So if they're losing $10 per console (hey, it's possible), they need an attach rate of around 6 games/console to break even. Which seems pretty unlikely, but hey, maybe the people who bought OUYAs and didn't immediately post depressing "why did I even buy this" unboxing videos to YouTube are really dedicated to supporting the developer base.

So if we magically assume that they're breaking even per console sold (a very magical assumption indeed), and that they haven't sold enough dev consoles to make a dent, then they're purely burning through capital now. There's a picture from late May on their Facebook page entitled "OUYA Employees" with 20 different people in it, but it doesn't seem to include everyone — e.g. the picture is only apparently men, but their press contact is named Abby, so... We also don't know how many of them are full-time (or interns), but they're in SF and apparently paying salaries with a range of $70-130k, so let's estimate their payroll costs at about $4 million a year, which is fairly conservative. Some of those employees will have been recent hires, but still, they've almost certainly burnt through at least $2 million in payroll. They're currently in production for a retail release, which means they're making a ton of consoles which will, at best, all be sold at an even larger loss because the stores will take a cut, enough that even a magical attach rate will not save them from losing on the endeavor.

So let's see. We're all assuming that some amount of the $15 million was required in order to even finish production on the Kickstarter OUYAs; assume for the sake of argument that it's $2 million to cover the last year of payroll. Let's say they're making another $5 million worth is going into the retail production run. Assuming that OUYA 2 releases next summer, they'll spend at least $4 million in payroll until then. Let's handwave random other business overheads (office space, accounting, legal advice, having another hilarious party at E3, etc.) at $1 million; and as I understand it, non-payroll taxes should be pretty negligible because they're operating at a serious net loss.

It is really difficult to imagine them being able to fund the actual production of the OUYA 2 without either selling out the retail release (and seeing a very good attach rate there) or receiving a major new infusion of cash.

Earlier in this thread we speculated that the reason why ouya shipping had slowed to a dead halt is because they had no more money to produce any more. It just so happened that reports of people having received them shot up following the announcement that they'd managed to fleece an extra $15 million.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

raditts posted:

Earlier in this thread we speculated that the reason why ouya shipping had slowed to a dead halt is because they had no more money to produce any more. It just so happened that reports of people having received them shot up following the announcement that they'd managed to fleece an extra $15 million.

That would make sense considering how they weren't willing to pay the extra international shipping/handling. Wonder if they'll ever fix that

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

raditts posted:

They had definitely shipped out 10% or less or the consoles before the announcement that they got $15 million in funding. I think the odds of them needing that money to finish is somewhere close to 100%.

edit: Behold the thread of dreams that will never come true:
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3213-What-announcements-are-you-expecting-before-the-official-launch

"What announcements are you expecting before the official launch?"

quote:

Ports of big companies like EA, Square Enix, Namco Bandai and SEGA (Jet Set Radio HD pls). I don't like Minecraft, but OUYA needs Minecraft because with this game will buy a lot of units. The announcement of Netflix and Hulu Plus would also be good for OUYA, although I'm not a media fan, in the USA will sell a lot of OUYAs.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 17, 2013

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Xbox One had Forza 5. PS4 had driveclub.

Now it's time for a new breed of racing...

Well, when you look at the developer's website you immediately understand the commitment to quality they represent.

http://pixelapp.co/

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Ha! Finally happened.

quote:

It's time to upload your games! Once you submit your game, it will be reviewed for content and, once approved, you can publish at your convenience

You have no Games yet.

It took them nearly 3 months to realize that I had domain squatted tons of their upcoming products.

So, now that I don't have to worry about XboxPants reporting me, I can confirm that none of these games/apps are in final stages and likely to make the OUYA launch:

quote:

Netflix
Flixster
iHeartRadio
Plex
TuneIn
Vevo
Human Element
Executive Star
Broken Age
chronoblade
CrunchyRoll
Cryamore
Fez
Onlive
ouya
xbmc
Hulu
The Cave
No collisions. For 3 months. With all of those reserved.

Gonna see if I can re-grab Executive Star because nothing entertains me more than the idea of upsetting James Andrew Coote.

edit: Confirmation that they simply removed my games from the database without banning the account. Their incompetence impresses me.

It is also still impossible to remove your name reservation for a game you have reserved.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 17, 2013

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Right, I accounted for that, to the tune of $2 million, which would be ~25% of the total cost of the Kickstarter consoles. That may be low, but I'm generally trying to be conservative here to try to find any way that the numbers work out for OUYA.

I know they were blocked well before the 75% mark, but that's what you would expect. If they literally couldn't afford 75% of the run, you wouldn't see them produce 25% and then stop; you'd see them produce nothing at all. Most of the parts are pre-fab and bought in bulk; you've either made the purchase or you haven't. It's the things that need custom milling or assembly, like the case or the controller, that you can run out of money to produce mid-way.

Also, making the factory squeeze out a couple of consoles when you can't afford to finish production is an amazing way to both save a little face with your customers and burn through money you don't have.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Another thought: This thing launches in 8 days. When should gamestops and the like start receiving them? Monday?

edit:

And while we're at it, some sales data:

quote:

The Little Crane That Could is a staff pick now, and so far has totalled:
56 purchases from 3678 downloads.
This is a 1.5% conversion rate, by far the lowest on any platform.
The same game does typically 5% or so on stores like Amazon, Google Play and Apple App Store.
By far the best day for me was june 7 with 413 downloads.
On the start of this year, I set myself a modest goal of 30K OUYA downloads in 2013.
With the launch still to come, I think this is very achievable, so apart from the conversion, I am satisfied so far. Especially since my game made it out of sandbox, and into staff picks.

and Mighty Rabbit continues to live in denial:

quote:

When I was testing IAP integration a few weeks after launch it seemed like purchases were failing 4/5 times - it's very likely that some users are giving up.

Saturday Morning RPG is now up to 53 purchases (@$5.99) with ~5,000 downloads. I haven't tallied the download count recently because it depresses me every time I see the conversion rate.

I'm still happy that we seem to be receiving at least one purchase per day. The situation is much better than it was throughout April.

This was always the reason the OUYA was doomed to failure, and I'm still amazed more people haven't seen it. Many, many consoles are in the wild and these guys don't have any chance of making money.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 17, 2013

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
What's the status on the retail units? Have they even made them yet?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Morby posted:

What's the status on the retail units? Have they even made them yet?

The OUYA golden rule: If you have to ask, the answer is no.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Protocol7 posted:

The OUYA golden rule: If you have to ask, the answer is no.

My guess when the 24th arrives, Ouya will claim "release" and now promise that anyone can go into a Gamestop, etc and order an Ouya to be delivered to their door!

edit: I like how some developers assume that once the ouya is officially released there will be some massive influx of ouya console purchases. While who knows what number of backers still await their Ouya, I wouldn't count on post kickstarter sales to drum up any noticable difference in game/app sales.

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 17, 2013

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
There's no possible way Ouya inc is ready for the "launch". There are STILL Kickstarter backers who haven't gotten a unit yet, and they've somehow managed to produce thousands more to put on retail shelf space?

I've been expecting an announcement since last week that they will be delaying their "launch" until next year.

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!
Don't forget online pre-orders! They came after the kickstarter was over and were supposed to be the batch delivered between the kickstarter batch and retail launch batch.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
The official launch will be here soon, and OUYA will be available in such stores as Gamestop.com, Target.com, and BestBuy.com. Getting in with all the major brick and mortar stores.

(That's what I'm expecting anyway)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Announcing a delay is what reasonable companies would do. This is OUYA.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I expect they'll announce a delay on the 25th.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I look forward to picking mine up at the Walmart clearance aisle.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gaseous Snake posted:

The day after launch.

Whenever that is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Gaseous Snake posted:

OUYA is still not selling in Wal-Mart.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

I don't see someone dumping it in a Walmart outside the realms of possibility.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

theflyingorc posted:

Ha! Finally happened.

It took them nearly 3 months to realize that I had domain squatted tons of their upcoming products.

So, now that I don't have to worry about XboxPants reporting me, I can confirm that none of these games/apps are in final stages and likely to make the OUYA launch:
Actually, it's likely that one or more of them *is* about to be launched, had problems, and thus contacted support which is what got you noticed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

The official launch will be here soon, and OUYA will be available in such stores as Gamestop.com, Target.com, and BestBuy.com. Getting in with all the major brick and mortar stores.

(That's what I'm expecting anyway)

I expect brick and mortar stores to remove them from shelves after the first few are returned and the OUYA company has no apparatus for the stores to return/replace defective merchandise and just says "Well, sorry. Try a charge back on your corporate balance for the bad units."

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingorc posted:

It's a shame. I would have liked to see Wal-Mart react to their monthly projected shipment graphs or any forms where there is space to draw your company logo.

Honestly I kind of like the OUYA's approach to business. It's very whimsical.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

raditts posted:

You know, it makes me kind of sad that someone probably worked pretty hard to make that piece of poo poo, and they're proud and/or oblivious enough of it to show it to other people.
It makes me even sadder knowing that there will probably be plenty of people to feed that delusion.

He even got someone to write a newspaper article about him and his previous game Wavelogy: http://ticker.baruchconnect.com/article/baruch-students-games-cross-platform

You can download Wavelogy here: http://gamejolt.com/games/sports/wavelogy/10852
I tried to play it but I only saw a blank screen. I guess I probably have a lot of viruses now.

Edit: The name was more retarded than I first assumed. Corrected "Waveology" to "Wavelogy".

Nition fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 18, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Actually, it's likely that one or more of them *is* about to be launched, had problems, and thus contacted support which is what got you noticed.

I agree but it wasn't one of the ones on that list, it was the first one he mentioned that they 'fixed'.

In any case, after they plastered "June 2013" on everything during their first party I feel like it would be the final humiliation for the OUYA if they have to push the date back any more (since they already pushed it back from the begining to the end of June). Although, I guess they could surprise me. If there's one positive thing that I can say about the OUYA it's that it's always full of surprises.

Edit: Which isn't to say that the won't lie about it again and make June 24th the first production date for the retail launch. Although I presume that their retail partners will be a bit more pissed off than the kickstarters.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 18, 2013

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Nition posted:

He even got someone to write a newspaper article about him and his previous game Wavelogy: http://ticker.baruchconnect.com/article/baruch-students-games-cross-platform

You can download Wavelogy here: http://gamejolt.com/games/sports/wavelogy/10852
I tried to play it but I only saw a blank screen. I guess I probably have a lot of viruses now.

Edit: The name was more retarded than I first assumed. Corrected "Waveology" to "Wavelogy".

I get major Superman N64 vibes looking at this screenshot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Vice picked a fortuitous picture to lead this article with.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/vgm/3870747749.html
I hate people. My head is spinning thinking about all the things that are wrong with that link.

EDIT:
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/vgm/3877835844.html

Slybo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 18, 2013

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Morby posted:

I get major Superman N64 vibes looking at this screenshot.

I get the feeling that the boat filled most of the screen and his solution, instead of moving the camera further away, was increasing the FOV to about 150 degrees.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aweful Dreams posted:

It was Plex, which I didn't list.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Slybo posted:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/vgm/3870747749.html
I hate people. My head is spinning thinking about all the things that are wrong with that link.

EDIT:
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/vgm/3877835844.html

Here's the text from the ads for when they inevitably get pulled off Craigslist:

quote:

Brand New OUYA - Brown Brushed Metal + 1 Extra Controller - $170 (Milwaukee)
For Sale:

Brand New Never used

Limited Edition Kickstarter Backer Exclusive:

Brown Brushed Metal OUYA

Comes with:
OUYA System
2 Brown Brushed Metal Controllers
Batteries for Controllers

quote:

Brand New OUYA OMG WTF BBQ - $170 (Milwaukee)

No need to wait until next week when you can buy a brand new one at Target for $99! For only $170 not only can you own your very own beta version of this piece of crap but you'll be giving me back my wasted investment plus an extra $70 for the privilege!
You will be envy of all your friends when you invite them over to play an overheating game console with less horsepower than a brand new cellphone!
Marvel at its cutting edge controller as it lags and loses connection to the console. Act now and I'll also include for no extra charge, a defective faceplate that will fall off and make the buttons and analog stick get stuck.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

cyberia posted:

Here's the text from the ads for when they inevitably get pulled off Craigslist:

Actually, the brown OUYA required a pledge of $140, plus $30 for a second controller. So this person is dumping it at cost, it's a special version that cannot be bought retail at all, and considering extra controllers cost $50 retail the potential buyer is just paying $20 extra for the limited edition.

And since it's a limited edition it shipped so late that it should have the fixed faceplates that don't allow buttons to stick.

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 18, 2013

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Aweful Dreams posted:

Actually, the brown OUYA required a pledge of $140, plus $30 for a second controller. So this person is dumping it at cost, it's a special version that cannot be bought retail at all, and considering extra controllers cost $50 retail the potential buyer is just paying $20 extra for the limited edition.

Oh I'd put quotes around special, having the metal case is what screws up the controller signal isn't it?

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Juc66 posted:

Oh I'd put quotes around special, having the metal case is what screws up the controller signal isn't it?

Well, but *all* of them, including the retail ones, have that metal. So the wifi/Bluetooth blocking is the normal situation :). The LE version just makes the metal brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aweful Dreams posted:

And since it's a limited edition it shipped so late that it should have the fixed faceplates that don't allow buttons to stick.
And whaddaya know, it doesn't!

• Locked thread