Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I just bought a ten stop ND filter today and those are making me froth at the mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Bottom Liner posted:

I really think this would be better if you cropped out the bottom half.

I dont think so, I like that, I feel like it adds some extra depth.

aliencowboy posted:

I just bought a ten stop ND filter today and those are making me froth at the mouth.

What one are you getting? I want to get one for my Iceland trip and was looking at getting the Hoya one (I think it is 10 stops or close to that).

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Dread Head posted:

What one are you getting? I want to get one for my Iceland trip and was looking at getting the Hoya one (I think it is 10 stops or close to that).

I got the B+W one. It's a little pricey, but I haven't seen a bad word about it anywhere. Honestly, I think as long as you steer clear of variable NDs, you'll be fine with whatever.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I got myself a B+W 10 stop ND as well and it is great.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Dread Head posted:

The Hoya one is 9 stops and is great. Going hiking/rock climbing tomorrow so I hope I get an opportunity to use it.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I really think this would be better if you cropped out the bottom half.

Yeah I was a little undecided about cropping or not.

Dread Head posted:

I've got the Hoya which has been good but it does seem to have a slight blue cast, which is pretty easy to sort, and it vignettes like mad on anything wider than 24mm. Ideally I'd like to go for a Lee setup because recomposing is a pain in the rear end with a screw in filter. I get so sick of taking it off and putting it back on.

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like it uncropped too.

I found a 4 stop ND filter for really cheap on ebay, I'm hoping it shows up soon. Also an IR filter. I figure I'll get a 10 stop filter in the next month or so.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
B+W 10-stop recommendation nth-ed.

Cloud Gate by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

DSCF2184.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2187.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2186.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Hotwax Residue posted:

Yeah I was a little undecided about cropping or not.

I've got the Hoya which has been good but it does seem to have a slight blue cast, which is pretty easy to sort, and it vignettes like mad on anything wider than 24mm. Ideally I'd like to go for a Lee setup because recomposing is a pain in the rear end with a screw in filter. I get so sick of taking it off and putting it back on.

What lens are you using it on? I am likely going to mostly be using it on my sigma 10-20mm (on a crop sensor)... I have been using an ND8 on my 10-20 and it has been ok so I don't imagine it will be too much different.

meso
Jun 14, 2013

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Dread Head posted:

What lens are you using it on? I am likely going to mostly be using it on my sigma 10-20mm (on a crop sensor)... I have been using an ND8 on my 10-20 and it has been ok so I don't imagine it will be too much different.

The 17-40mm on FF so yeah you might be OK

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 29, 2020

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Those are amazing. I think I just decided where my next vacation is. Well done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, Yosemite is crushingly gorgeous at any time of the year.

Could fill a two week vacation there no problem.

meso
Jun 14, 2013
Some amazing shots Spedman.

Went out this morning, pre-sunrise to try get in place for some early morning landscapes. Unfortunately there were no clouds to add to the scenery, but I managed to find a few opportunities in a small town about 70 kilometers from Cape Town, South Africa.

And then for something completely different... The Hugenote Monument, which is important, for some reason that I do not know. But it is quite pleasant to look at.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

xzzy posted:

Yep, Yosemite is crushingly gorgeous at any time of the year.

Could fill a two week vacation there no problem.

Very much this, just don't point the camera at your feet and you'll take amazing shots at Yosemite.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

There's been some neat clouds the past few days.

IMG_6757 by philip painter, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That would normally be a really boring photo but your developing really makes it work. I like the square crop too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that in the Chicago area? Because we've had really odd/neat clouds the past day and a half here.. looks a lot like your clouds in fact!

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Some photos from Bryce Canyon National Park. Incredible place, but I didn't have the best weather. The day started out completely overcast, and ended with forest fire smoke engulfing the canyon... fortunately there was a bit of time in between with some sun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That composition on the second shot owns, with the way the little valleys make some spokes and the orange ridge line spirals out towards the edges of the photo. Just needs some better lighting.

The last one is pretty rad to look at too.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Is that in the Chicago area? Because we've had really odd/neat clouds the past day and a half here.. looks a lot like your clouds in fact!

MI, so kind of nearby? It's thunderstorm season here.

Those canyon shots are beautiful. I especially like the DOF and layers of the first.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Did I go too far with the processing?

And another one:

meso
Jun 14, 2013

psylent posted:

And another one:

I quite like the top image, but - at least on my work screen (it tends to sometimes have less contrast than is ideal) I am struggling to see any blacks. The images look almost as though the levels were adjusted at some stage to make the images lighter, as opposed to using curves. The top image, it can work quite nicely with the mountains in the background, making them seem more distant and giving depths, but the foreground has the same feel, where instead of blacks, it appears to be dark greys.

The second image appears to have the same thing, where the contrast is lacking just a touch. I don't like too much contrast in a landscape shot, but if they were my images, I would have toyed around with the curves just a touch to bring down the shadows a bit more. There is always the desire to make the foreground visible and look good, but in many cases that isn't possible given the lighting, and one would need to do exposure blending or use a graduated ND filter.

Don't think you went too far with the processing, just looks like you may have been dialing the levels slider a bit much as opposed to the curves :)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

No where near as interesting as Yosemite, but here's some of Joshua Tree. Slowly making my way through the holiday photos, 11 more rolls to go.

(Had to bump the shadows a little with these, developer was slowly getting exhausted).

meso
Jun 14, 2013

Spedman posted:

No where near as interesting as Yosemite, but here's some of Joshua Tree. Slowly making my way through the holiday photos, 11 more rolls to go.

(Had to bump the shadows a little with these, developer was slowly getting exhausted).

Nice shots again, could just be me... But in my opinion, the second image may look a bit better if it were cropped at the bottom (just above the bottom right rock). Allows ones eyes to move easier to the horizon, where all the magic is happening.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

psylent posted:

You managed to make a photo of phi phi don interesting and not cliche. So I think you succeeded.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

psylent posted:

This may just be my monitor, but the oranges on the boats are real blown out. Other than that, great shot.

Untitled by skypny, on Flickr

Untitled by skypny, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

joelcamefalling posted:

You managed to make a photo of phi phi don interesting and not cliche. So I think you succeeded.

Oranges/Magentas and greens on the boats are entering neon territory, but the sky is fine.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Yeah I would desaturate the stuff on the boats a bit but it's a gorgeous shot otherwise, very nice.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

meso posted:

I quite like the top image, but - at least on my work screen (it tends to sometimes have less contrast than is ideal) I am struggling to see any blacks. The images look almost as though the levels were adjusted at some stage to make the images lighter, as opposed to using curves. The top image, it can work quite nicely with the mountains in the background, making them seem more distant and giving depths, but the foreground has the same feel, where instead of blacks, it appears to be dark greys.
Thanks, I'll play around with it a bit more.

Aaaaaaaand I just realised that I didn't actually take the photo. This is embarrassing.

I got married on Phi Phi Island back in 2009 and I had a few of the guests give me their photos from the trip, I did a mass import of photos into Lightroom the other night and was sorting through them when I came across them and I assumed this was mine. As it turns out, it isn't. Whoops.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

drat!

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Sick light. Good stuff, hope there's more.

DSC_8576-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8588.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8572.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8552.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Death and stuff.

DSC_8518.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

_6190342.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_6190321.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_6190332.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

DSCF2690.jpg by zpintchik, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
I think this counts as landscape photography -- the old mill in Sorrento, Italy.

Old and New by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

The old mill by jwallacephoto, on Flickr